Home Gothic Gothic II Gothic 3 Gothic 4 Downloads Forums

Ergebnis 1 bis 15 von 15
  1. Beiträge anzeigen #1
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq

Maladiq ist offline

Interview with Sascha Henrichs

Here it is.

In this latest interview, modeler Sascha Henrichs sheds light upon certain key areas in PB's games. Questions find their long-sought answers, such as:

"What is the purpose behind the sunken huts in Gothic 1?"
    "What sets PB's games apart from their other contenders?"
    And, indeed, "How important is level design to a game?"

Charismatic and with a sharp sense of humour, Sascha goes through each question, answering thoughtfully in a way that really allows us to peer into the process which has brought us several splendid games.
    For the most recent Elex news, the new Piranha Bytes RPG, visit us at World of Elex!!!

2. Beiträge anzeigen #2
    Ranger Avatar von Untouchable

Untouchable ist offline
    22. Which are the tools or technologies you have used for the first time (if there are any) with Risen 2?

We used a new animation system, "Morpheme", and the already mentioned Heightmap tool, which is now implemented in our editor.
    Editor's note:
    1. Some details about Morpheme in an article
    2. Euphoria by NaturalMotion: Could give some insight into the technologies behind Morpheme.
    Looking forward to see how this new, improved animations will work.
    Jugging by the article
    morpheme is robust animation middleware designed to give developers and animators unprecedented creative control over the look of their final in-game animation by allowing them to author and preview blends, blend trees and transition graphs in real time.
    ...I think it will look pretty good, and smooth.

And still there is no release date for Risen 2.

3. Beiträge anzeigen #3
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq

Maladiq ist offline
    About the release date, I think they might be going towards a 10 year anniversary of the English release of Gothic 1, 23rd of November.
    For the most recent Elex news, the new Piranha Bytes RPG, visit us at World of Elex!!!

4. Beiträge anzeigen #4
    Ranger Avatar von Untouchable

Untouchable ist offline
    Could be, but I'm afraid it will be later.

5. Beiträge anzeigen #5
    Schwertmeister Avatar von warstrike

warstrike ist offline
    Oh ,sweet !!

6. Beiträge anzeigen #6
    banned

Assassin of Kings ist offline
    Great interview. It's good to hear some more things from the old days when they were working on Gothic.
    By the way, wasn't there a member of PB who died during the development of Gothic 2? I always thought his name was Sasha ...

7. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #7
    Veteran Avatar von Aetherian

Aetherian ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Assassin of Kings Beitrag anzeigen
    Great interview. It's good to hear some more things from the old days when they were working on Gothic.
    By the way, wasn't there a member of PB who died during the development of Gothic 2? I always thought his name was Sasha ...
    It was Sascha Pieroth. I think he was a producer for Gothic 3 who died during the development of that game, but I'm not positive on that part.
    Geändert von Aetherian (07.05.2011 um 03:18 Uhr)

8. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #8
    Mythos Avatar von Onisuzume

Onisuzume ist offline
    20. What are the limitations under which you have to work? I assume there's poly count and the accessibility of the terrain. Anything else?

The most important is memory. The consoles only have a low amount of memory, and in order to have an easy time porting the game to consoles we also have an eye on our resources for the PC version. Memory is very critical. Then there are some door sizes, step heights, table heights and other measurements that are also essential.
    So yeah, consoles *are* holding back the potential of PC games.

9. Beiträge anzeigen #9
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq

Maladiq ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Onisuzume Beitrag anzeigen
    So yeah, consoles *are* holding back the potential of PC games.
    I couldn't be more happy about it. Why? Because I play my games on a laptop. As far as I am concerned, screw graphics. I want to be able to play the game, because I don't play it for the graphics.

10. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #10

Onisuzume ist offline
    Memory does more than just "grafix", ya know.

11. Beiträge anzeigen #11
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq

Maladiq ist offline
    Memory does more than just "grafix", ya know.
    It mainly does graphics. Make a game with G2 kind of graphics, you wouldn't have a memory deficit for anything else.

12. Beiträge anzeigen #12
    Veteran

Kraszu ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Maladiq Beitrag anzeigen
    It mainly does graphics. Make a game with G2 kind of graphics, you wouldn't have a memory deficit for anything else.
    In before console players will demand reduction in graphics to have more advanced games in other areas.

13. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #13

Onisuzume ist offline
    WHich won't happen because grafix is the main marketing gimmick for console games.

14. Beiträge anzeigen #14
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq

Maladiq ist offline
    WHich won't happen because grafix is the main marketing gimmick for console games.
    Well, that could be a good thing also. They are learning how to do better and better with the same limited resources. I would like that the PC i will buy in a couple of years and which will be more than decent to last me for at least 5 years of intensive max graph games, without having to upgrade.

15. Beiträge anzeigen #15
    Veteran

Kraszu ist offline
    Well, that could be a good thing also. They are learning how to do better and better with the same limited resources.
    The problem is that you can't overcome the RAM limit, you either build the levels smaller, put less NPC/monsters, put less objects etc. or you decrees the number of polygons. Anyway you can find Todd talking about Skyrim, on how they had put less NPC to have few on the screen at any time, and how they put so many loading screens to have better graphics. I find loading screen before going to every house to suck but I am sure that you can find some reason to like it.

I would like that the PC i will buy in a couple of years and which will be more than decent to last me for at least 5 years of intensive max graph games, without having to upgrade.
    So you don't care how the gfx looks as long as you can set them to ultra high in settings? You know that a game with better gfx can run on medium, and look better then less advanced game on ultra right?
    Geändert von Kraszu (08.05.2011 um 12:29 Uhr)