Home Gothic Gothic II Gothic 3 Gothic 4 Downloads Forums

Ergebnis 1 bis 14 von 14
  1. Beiträge anzeigen #1
    Rookie

Smellcaster ist offline

New Gothican Here :)

Hello all, I'm brand new to the forums and the Gothic series, but I've played Risen, Drakensang and Sacred 2 and loved them, particularly Risen, it was a real surprise hit and absorbed many hours of my time.
    After a long replay of some classics (ES Morrowind, Neverwinter Nights and Dungeon Siege) I figured it's time to jump into something fresh, and I'd never played a Gothic game. So at long last, here I am.

I'm hoping to probe your collective Gothic knowledge to maximize my experience in the series, so here's a few noob questions if you'd be so kind:

- I'm starting on Gothic 1, patches aside, should I get any texture or gameplay mods before jumping in? (I'm running Vista if that matters, talk about a pain getting everything to work with this buggy OS)
    - I've heard Gothic games are helladifficult (sorry, Californian here LOL). I usually do okay in hard RPG games as long as I take my time... does the same apply here or should I do some research before jumping into the game?
    - Any other advice from the random tip-generator?

Thanks ahead for any help and for such a GREAT site!

2. Beiträge anzeigen #2
    Schwertmeister Avatar von warstrike

warstrike ist offline
    Ok first of all the controls might give u headaches in the beginning but don`t give up on that. In 2 hours you`ll get used to them and might actually enjoy them. I suggest you add the textures mods (no gameplay mods for now).

Don`t hurry up to finish the game for the sake of it . Take your time ,explore the world ,the game has many secrets .

I also suggest you don`t skip conversations so you can get a better view of what`s happening in the game.

Don`t cheat . If you can`t complete a quest you can always ask here for help or advice here ,but don`t cheat when playing for the first time . Other than that enjoy the games

3. Beiträge anzeigen #3
    Hero Avatar von .†.MikeL.†.

.†.MikeL.†. ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von warstrike Beitrag anzeigen
    Ok first of all the controls might give u headaches in the beginning but don`t give up on that. In 2 hours you`ll get used to them....
    To add to that, do set the controls manually in the way that suits you, I always do that in any game I've played, in Gothic what I dislike on the controls was that space draws out the weapon, so I always set space to jump. Rest of the controls were good if I remember correctly.

- I've heard Gothic games are helladifficult (sorry, Californian here LOL). I usually do okay in hard RPG games as long as I take my time... does the same apply here or should I do some research before jumping into the game?
    Dificullty is seperated in "stages";
    1st: you will learn how to run as fast as you can.
    2nd: you will learn how to pull one enemy at the time (usually dying to them).
    3rd: you will learn how to pass by enemies without them noticing you.
    4th: you will be aware of what tricks each enemy needs to be bought down.
    5th: you will run through hordes of enemies beating the crap out of them

Hope that helps

4. Beiträge anzeigen #4
    Rookie

Smellcaster ist offline
    Learn to run away quickly... got it... LMAO (You left out the part where I should scream like a child while fleeing) I remember doing that a lot in Risen, and the part about sneaking past enemies... I loved that element of the game, being forced to take careful examination of the environment and figuring out a game plan.

Thanks for the tips, I certainly don't plan on cheating. I mean, why cheat in a game at all? ESPECIALLY an RPG! It takes the "RP" out of it!

As far as controls, I did a little testing and switched movement to WASD, and changed jump and action, with a little playtime, they shouldn't be a problem at all.
    "Is that the side effect of a stamina potion or are you just happy to see me?"

5. Beiträge anzeigen #5
    Hero Avatar von .†.MikeL.†.

.†.MikeL.†. ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Smellcaster Beitrag anzeigen
    Learn to run away quickly... got it... LMAO (You left out the part where I should scream like a child while fleeing) I remember doing that a lot in Risen..
    Yeah Risen is very close to the dificulty of Gothic 1, still easier though, once you play G2: NotR you will learn how to truly scream.

6. Beiträge anzeigen #6
    Veteran Avatar von Ratamahatta

Ratamahatta ist offline
    yeah, don't cheat! explore game's world. in the beginning do not involve any ingame mods, but i would recomend texture mods (I use colmar's texture pack, and vurt's texture pack) and save game a lot, e.g.-I remember in the beginning I was making separate saves before "bigger" events of a game, or chapters as well, just in case I should go different way or if i would make decisions I would regret
    http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/signaturepics/sigpic104766_2.gif

7. Beiträge anzeigen #7
    Sword Master Avatar von Hampu

Hampu ist offline
    Never found Gothic THAT hard. I beat the game for the first time with relative ease.
    Though it does get hard when you start a Hardcore Challenge. (Check that thread for info)

8. Beiträge anzeigen #8
    Schwertmeister Avatar von Der_Jonn

Der_Jonn ist offline
    - I'm starting on Gothic 1, patches aside, should I get any texture or gameplay mods before jumping in? (I'm running Vista if that matters, talk about a pain getting everything to work with this buggy OS)
    Not necessary.

The first Piranha Bytes game you play is quite difficult because they are very different from most other RPGs, but once you familiar with the required playstyle it becomes much easier. Since you've already played Risen, you shouldn't have too many problems.

- Any other advice from the random tip-generator?
    When trading with merchants, you can move items from your inventory and the merchants inventory into the middle and if the total value of the items you offer is at least as high as the total value of the merchant's items you want to buy, you can make the trade. However you only get half the price for items you're selling (rounded up in case of odd value).
    You can move items in quantities of 1 (ctrl + left or right arrow), 10 (ctrl + A or D) or 100 (ctrl + shift + left or right arrow).

9. Beiträge anzeigen #9
    Apprentice

MisterQwerty ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Der_Jonn Beitrag anzeigen
    You can move items in quantities of 1 (ctrl + left or right arrow), 10 (ctrl + A or D) or 100 (ctrl + shift + left or right arrow).
    YOU CAN!?

SWEET!

10. Beiträge anzeigen #10
    Ranger Avatar von Arkose

Arkose ist offline
    I'm starting on Gothic 1, patches aside, should I get any texture or gameplay mods before jumping in? (I'm running Vista if that matters, talk about a pain getting everything to work with this buggy OS)
    One tweak you may not be aware of is the Gothic 1 FPS patch, which removes the FPS cap to make the game feel noticeably smoother. You will need to have Gothic patched to 1.08k (digital re-releases are already at this version), then install the Player Kit and finally the FPS patch (right click it and use "run as an administrator" rather than running it directly).

11. Beiträge anzeigen #11
    Waldläufer

fenixlt ist offline
    MAKE SAVE EVRY TIME BEFORE BATLE IN BOTOM OR OTHER PLACE OF SAVE LIST BECOUSE IF YOU DIE YOU CAN MAKE SAVE GAME AND THATS WILL BLOW YOUR HEAD OFF

12. Beiträge anzeigen #12
    Schwertmeister Avatar von warstrike

warstrike ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von fenixlt Beitrag anzeigen
    MAKE SAVE EVRY TIME BEFORE BATLE IN BOTOM OR OTHER PLACE OF SAVE LIST BECOUSE IF YOU DIE YOU CAN MAKE SAVE GAME AND THATS WILL BLOW YOUR HEAD OFF
    geez no need for red+caps...

13. Beiträge anzeigen #13
    Knight Commander

Nisarg ist offline
    I don't believe any video game can ever blow someone's head off.

Also, simple precautions such as looking at what option you're selecting in the menu should eliminate the need to save at the bottom. The only save I ever have in the bottom of the list is one before joining any guild if all other save games are those in which I have joined a guild.
    My skin for Opera Web Browser.[Bild: tOC_sig1.jpg]

14. Beiträge anzeigen #14
    Hero Avatar von Tratos

Tratos ist offline
    Plants are in abundance and eating them is an easy way to restore heath and other things. In Gothic 2 though, you get alchemy. Take notice of what you collect. Some plants are noticeably harder to come by than most. Save them and with a bit of skill you can brew some kick-ass potions. Some monsters/items are even only found once in the entire game. Now I know I don't need to tell you how important this makes them.