Home Gothic Gothic II Gothic 3 Gothic 4 Downloads Forums

Ergebnis 1 bis 3 von 3
  1. Beiträge anzeigen #1
    Rookie

veljkovic ist offline

Arcania - is it made by monkeys?

I had such a high hope for this game. Gothic 2 was good, but Gothic 3 (after it got properly patched - patch 2.74) was a dream. Huge world, hundreds of people, diffrent climates, very non-linear story... I love it.
    So when this game came out I tried not to have my hopes up because I heard about it not being ''gothic'' enough. I downloaded the demo, and... well, let's just say I was disappointed.
    Oh, the graphics are superb and sounds are very good but everything else su**s.
    The movement is a bit different. I can't control 'hero' as easily as I did before. And the ZOOM! Whay did they had to chuck out the zoom? For me it was as essencial to the playing as 'moving forward'. I could addapt my view to any place on the map - open ravine, cave, woods... It was easier to see what is in front of you. Now in Arcania it only gots one camera height. I could play with that, it's not bad camera height, but what pis*es me off is the change of the camera height when I draw a weapon. It shots up in the sky as if a small mountain is attacking me and I needed to see all of it. And I CAN'T control it. Why do I need that bird view on my character when I'm fighting? I want to be in the heart of the situation, not behind some mountain peeking. It distracts me when it changes camera view like that without me wanting to.
    The inventory is disaster. First, I can't see the objects all that well at one glance like I did before. Second, everything I pick up just shatters everywhere throught the inventory. There is some classifications like weapon, shield and so, but inside them there is chaos. I liked it when all the wepons were listed by their shape (swords,bows,crossbows), by their strenght and so. It made it easier for me to equipt them, to sell them or top buy them. The way that it is now I have to list all of my inventory and to memorise where everything is if I want any speed in transaction. It's idiotic. That inventory can only be used if the inventory is limited. This one isn't.
    I almost shed a tear when I saw the skill three. Now when you gather skill points you just open a panel and pick some skill up. I loved when you had to go to the master with your skill point to learn a skill. It was so much natural. Plus there was a diffrence between different masters in the level of skill they can teach you. It was realistic. Now (growl) 'the hero' picks up the skills from thin air. So much is lost - hunting for the masters, convincing them to teach you, remebering where they are in the world... It was a second part of the cycle: You do jobs or kill for the experience, then you go spend skill points to get stronger, smarter... And because of that you can do more difficult jobs. And so on.
    Now they just ripped a big part of the story from the game. I don't understand why. That also shortened the gameplay by hours. If they wanted a shorter game they should not made a gothic-like. Gothic is a game that is played slowly, with attention for detail. You slowly learn the world as you walk throught it. That's the whole idea behind 'open world' characteristic of the Gothic. You can go almost anywhere right from the start. You are not bound by some straight line. The masters were a big part of the reason why you came back to towns and villages. Not to have them is c*ap.

Also, talking with somebody is soooooooo much slower now. It is ridiciolus.
    Why does it have to change to a diffrent screen when i start a conversation?And then there is the fading. I spend 10 minutes excanging few sentences. It get's boring. Even Gothic 3 without patches wasn't that slow. And this is done deliberately.

Anyway, I am pretty dissapointed. I was hoping when they released a patch it will amend some of the things in the game (like the zoom) but the patch is small and insignificant. And now I hear they are releasing an add-on. Already? They just released the main game! It is stand-alone add-on which means you don't need main game to play it. Sound familliar? Let me refresh your memories:

FORSAKEN GODS!

It was the same thing back then. And it was bad. Very few quests with no connections. I didn't even find out what the main story was. Mabye there isn't any. I stoped playing after couple of hours. There was a good number of people there but very few of them had something to say, let alone give you the quest. It was a total dissaster. After the whole game of Gothic 3, which is the biggest in Gothic series, Forsaken gods looked like a demo. Even worse than that. Like they just started developing the game and then for some reason sold it to the public.

Someone said that Arcania looked like it was made for the game-consoles. Controls are very simplified. Mabye they could not be bothered to change a control system of the game so that it fits the PC.

My only hope is that some of the independant programmers will create a Community patch which will change the worst characteristics of the game: control,zoom,inventory... But even if they do, it is going to be a long time before they are done.

2. Beiträge anzeigen #2
    Knight Commander Avatar von TudoracheMG

TudoracheMG ist offline
    You must've posted this like 3 times before,lol

3. Beiträge anzeigen #3
    Hero Avatar von Tratos

Tratos ist offline
    OK, I've seen you post the same stuff a few times now and this is too much. We get the idea, no need to copy-paste it so often.

§CLOSED