Home Gothic Gothic II Gothic 3 Gothic 4 Downloads Forums

Seite 1 von 2 12 Letzte »
Ergebnis 1 bis 20 von 29
  1. Beiträge anzeigen #1
    Skinhead  Avatar von Hellbilly

Hellbilly ist offline

Share a song!

I got to thinking with Zeri0n's jukebox thread and the now listening to...-threads, that there's a lot of music being shared, but do people really check it out? Maybe they do, but there's precious little discussion of any kind about it. Hence this variation of Zeri0n's thread in the form of a "game".

The concept is: Comment on a song, share a song.

The rules are:
    1. You may post once a day, no more than that!
    2. In a post, you must comment on one song posted by another user (not one you've posted) and post a link to one song you wish to share (YouTube, Google video, what have you...)
    3. Your comment of the song posted by another user must be in the form of a small "review": single-sentence or single-word comments will not suffice. Listen to the song with an open mind, form an opinion, spend a minute thinking about it and write down your thoughts in a paragraph or two.
    4. If you want to, write down a few thoughts, some background info, etc. on the song you post. For example, why you chose to post it.
    5. The format of your post should be like this:
    • The song you are about to review, quoted (remove everything else from the quote)
    • Your review
    • The song you wish to post, as a link with the artist and song title as link title
    • Possible comments on the song you posted

6. Please disable your sigs!

Guidelines
    These are not rules per se, but things I think might make the thread more interesting:
    1. Try to avoid commenting on songs you already know; be daring, try something new!
    2. Be open-minded; just because the genre isn't your cup of tea, give it a chance and try to understand what the poster finds appealing in this song.
    3. Be honest in your review, but also polite.
    4. If you notice a lot of people have commented on a specific song, consider not commenting on it, but on one that's received less attention.

Right. I'm gonna start, then.

BLOOD FOR BLOOD: White Trash Anthem

This sort of angry, antisocial stuff easily becomes unintendedly humorous, but Blood For Blood have managed to get the sort of drive, power and emotion into this that it feels authentic.

2. Beiträge anzeigen #2
    Knight Commander Avatar von TudoracheMG

TudoracheMG ist offline
    I like the main riff,not into this genre of rock,but cool song indeed
    Alice in Chains-A looking in view

3. Beiträge anzeigen #3
    Waldläufer

fenixlt ist offline
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjYbP...eature=related
    sorry I`m alitlebit new for forums I cant truly say why i listen to this song

4. Beiträge anzeigen #4

Hellbilly ist offline
    /facepalm

Read the rules.

5. Beiträge anzeigen #5
    Sword Master Avatar von UR1Z13L

UR1Z13L ist offline
    It is a little to heavy metal for me, i like the guitar(especially the solo) but the voice is a little anoying for me. The guitar tune does get the blood pumping, pretty nice stuff.

My song: Jamiroquai - Virtual insanity - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JkIs37a2JE i think this song has one of the best video clips ever if someone finds something more smooth and cool please link :P

P.S I dont know how to make the link the name of the song
    P.S.S I like this thread :]
    Geändert von UR1Z13L (05.02.2011 um 11:25 Uhr)

6. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #6
    Dragonslayer Avatar von Lazor

Lazor ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von UR1Z13L Beitrag anzeigen
    Smooth, calming song indeed, with some soft funky elements! Definitely a 90's tune though, not sure if I'd listen to it if it wasn't for this forum-game. Anyway can't say that I don't like it . Oh and I almost wear the same shoes with that guy .

Hmm... let's see:

Tito Puente - Oye Como Va

Old latiz jazz just for you !

7. Beiträge anzeigen #7
    Knight Avatar von Gor_Na_Drak

Gor_Na_Drak ist offline
    Tito Puente - Oye Como Va

I have to admit I'm most familiar with the Santana version of this song. And to be honest I didn't know that Santana's wasn't the original, though finding out that fact doesn't really surprise me. In any case I liked this original version, though I like Santana's better. This one however seemed a bit slower and I liked the feel of the song. Something one might hear on a summer's night at a block party with all the people having a good time and dancing....a nice salsa groove.

Pearl Jam - Yellow Ledbetter

You hear this and you say to yourself...."what the hell is he saying?" But when you listen to it you can feel exactly where they're coming from. Enjoy

8. Beiträge anzeigen #8
    Dragonslayer Avatar von Zeri0n

Zeri0n ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Gor_Na_Drak Beitrag anzeigen
    Hmm i tried to listen to that song but it's just not my type of music, and i couldn't understand it quite a bit, so i wouldn't be a good critic for this song, but what do you think about this?

Iz - Somewhere over the rainbow

Pretty relaxing song....

9. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #9
    Veteran Avatar von Aetherian

Aetherian ist offline
    I was going to comment on another song, but since you can only comment on one song in your post I'll do Pearl Jams. Eddie Vedder didn't have any lyrics for a song he wanted to do about the Gulf War so he mumbles through it, I think the song is named after a real person named Ledbetter too. Only a couple words can be made out here and there like "box or a bag", but it's really an anti-war song that he has the freedom to modify the lyrics to suit his whims when singing it live. I thought he was just stoned or drunk (he probably was) when recording it, but the fact is that there is no real lyrics to the song.

Here's a little tongue-firmly-in-cheek humor for you -
    Stephan Lynch-Gerbil
    Geändert von Aetherian (05.02.2011 um 18:08 Uhr)

10. Beiträge anzeigen #10
    Knight Commander Avatar von TudoracheMG

TudoracheMG ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Aetherian Beitrag anzeigen
    I remember a friend of mine singing this over skype,I laughed a lot back then,but only now does the message occur to me.Great one!
    Alice in Chains- Angry Chair

11. Beiträge anzeigen #11

Hellbilly ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von TudoracheMG Beitrag anzeigen
    Slow, surprisingly heavy and rough... I was always under the impression of Alice In Chains having a more Grunge-like sound (which is the reason why I've never listened to them much). However, this style of slow lurching singing has always been something I've found irritating. I also do not really like the vocal lines of the chorus. It was often the vocals that put me off 90's and early 00's US heavy rock, and in many ways, this song is an example of why. The music is good, as is the sound, but the vocals just don't work for me.

GUANA BATZ: Loan Shark

Classic first-wave Psychobilly from the 80's; Guana Batz are a really respected band in the scene, and certainly earned through their pioneering work, but purely musically speaking, I've never considered them the top of the game. This song, on the other hand, is a great example of early Psychobilly before too much Punk and Metal influences started to seep into the genre.

12. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #12

Aetherian ist offline
    I like Alice in Chains, though I'm not sure I care for their new stuff as much I'm glad they finally got a new lead singer and moved on. Of their new stuff I probably like 'Check My Brain' the best.

Here's a song by a band a friend of mine was in back in the '70s called Comus. We used to team together with a few other people to make unified theme projects for the desktop shell program 3DNA, he would create the theme music to fit the mood of our projects as well as make themes for it. In the band he played bass and was the chap with the long hair and glasses in the pic, though now he has a lot less. He is bald.

Comus - Drip, Drip

I didn't notice when I posted the link above that it was missing the last minute of the song (it's a 10:54 minute song!), so here is the link to the full song, but I hate the vid pic which does not change.
    Geändert von Aetherian (08.02.2011 um 19:10 Uhr)

13. Beiträge anzeigen #13

Gor_Na_Drak ist offline
    Comus - Drip, Drip

Lots of talent there. There were many places within that tune that I liked. But like a lot of progressive bands from that time they feel the need to experiment within the song. Not that that is a bad thing, but more often than not those songs start to drone on and on and loose any emotional feel they started off with. And like a lot of progressive songs from that time it seems like it was made more for long acid trips than as a progressive piece of music intended to carry the listener from one place to another. I probably would have liked it more back in my "take any hallucinogen I can get my hands on" days. But those days are far behind me and this song did nothing to make me want to re-live them.

The Band - The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down

14. Beiträge anzeigen #14

Hellbilly ist offline
    Another of those bands I've been meaning to check out forever but haven't got around to doing so yet. There's so many of those I don't think I'll reach the end of the list ever. Anyways, I get a clear Bob Dylan-vibe from this, but with a fuller, more soulful sound. The horns work a treat in the background, and especially the tuba gives a nice little extra oompah to it. Judging by this taster, I'll probably have to make a trip to our library to see if they have any of The Band's albums andd give them a closer listen.

THE WARRIORS: Gary Bushell

Skinhead Oi! from the 90's, containing some long-standing veterans of the scene among their ranks. This song is about the music journalist Gary Bushell who 'championed' the whole Oi! movement in its heyday and tried to keep it alive after the fiasco of Southall that turned the media against Oi! and skins.

15. Beiträge anzeigen #15

Gor_Na_Drak ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Hellbilly Beitrag anzeigen
    Anyways, I get a clear Bob Dylan-vibe from this, but with a fuller, more soulful sound.
    Funny you should mention that. Before they were The Band, they were known as the Hawks and were Dylan's band for two tours (1 U.S. and 1 world) and were apart of Dylan's "Basement Tapes" recordings. Since they had been the band for others, Dylan, Ronnie Hawkins, etc., they decided to keep the name.

The clip I linked to was from the movie The Last Waltz, directed by Martin Scorsese. It was their last performance before they broke up in 1978 and a lot of great artists preformed with them for that show. Clapton, Dylan, Van Morrison, Muddy Waters, Joni Mitchell, etc.

16. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #16

Aetherian ist offline
    Not really my style of music, but good enough for background music in a mix when working. Good, mellow music for that type of thing.

Five Finger Death Punch - Bad Company

A remake with a little more edge to it.

17. Beiträge anzeigen #17
    Neuling

nabi ist offline

18. Beiträge anzeigen #18

Gor_Na_Drak ist offline
    GUANA BATZ: Loan Shark

Never heard this song before.....Love it. Nice, simple and very, very rock n' roll in the traditional sense. Makes me think of a cross between the Stray Cats and Gene Vincent.

Set my Soul on Fire--LaVern Baker

Video sucks, so just close your eyes and listen.

19. Beiträge anzeigen #19

Hellbilly ist offline
    My father is a huge Bad Company fan and Paul Rodgers is one of his all-time favourite singers; that is the sole reason he's bought the new Paul Rodgers + Queen releases, for the voice. And I love the original version of this song, probably much because my dad loves the band. This cover ain't bad, but it's nowhere close to the original. The vocals are adequate, but not Rodgers. This song suffers from what almost all renditions of classic songs suffer from: when not comparing to the original, they're good, but the original just wiped the floor with the covers. In a nutshell, a nice cover, but doesn't re-define the song like the few truly immortal cover versions do.

MY DYING BRIDE: Some Velvet Morning

...incidentally, this here is what I consider a monumental cover. Imagine, one of the founders of dark, heavy and melancholic Doom/Death Metal performing a Nancy Sinatra/Lee Hazlewood song (though, this is from their lighter era with clean vocals only). And it works. One would never imagine that this oldie could be given such a melancholy, somber twist in the loving hands of MDB.

20. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #20

Aetherian ist offline
    Interesting song. Never heard of MDB before, but I've lived a relatively sheltered life. From some of their other songs I checked out while I was there, they seem to have a structured, heavy, foreboding sound. They remind me of Type O Negative in a way, minus Peter Steeles' distinctive lyrical style. Not bad though.

Wizard - Call of the Wild

I have a couple of this bands cd's, great to listen to when I'm pissed off and need to vent.

Seite 1 von 2 12 Letzte »