Home Gothic Gothic II Gothic 3 Gothic 4 Downloads Forums

Seite 2 von 2 « Erste 12
Ergebnis 21 bis 39 von 39
  1. Beiträge anzeigen #21
    Rookie

veljkovic ist offline

Arcania - is it made by monkeys?

I had such a high hope for this game. Gothic 2 was good, but Gothic 3 (after it got properly patched - patch 2.74) was a dream. Huge world, hundreds of people, diffrent climates, very non-linear story... I love it.
    So when this game came out I tried not to have my hopes up because I heard about it not being ''gothic'' enough. I downloaded the demo, and... well, let's just say I was disappointed.
    Oh, the graphics are superb and sounds are very good but everything else su**s.
    The movement is a bit different. I can't control 'hero' as easily as I did before. And the ZOOM! Whay did they had to chuck out the zoom? For me it was as essencial to the playing as 'moving forward'. I could addapt my view to any place on the map - open ravine, cave, woods... It was easier to see what is in front of you. Now in Arcania it only gots one camera height. I could play with that, it's not bad camera height, but what pis*es me off is the change of the camera height when I draw a wepon. It shots up in the sky as if a small mountain is attacking me and I needed to see all of it. And I CAN'T control it. Why do I need that bird view on my character when I'm fighting? I want to be in the heart of the situation, not behind some mountain peeking. It distracted me when it changes camera view like that without me wanting to.
    The inventory is disaster. First, I can't see the objects all that well at one glance like I did before. Second, everytnig I pick up just shatters everywhere throught the inventory. There is some classifications like weapon, shield and so, but inside them there is chaos. I liked it when all the wepons were listed by their shape (swords,bows,crossbows), by their strenght and so. It made it easier form me to equipt them, to sell them or top buy them. The way that it is now I have to list all of my inventory and to memorise where everything is if I want any speed in transaction. It's idiotic. That inventory can only be used if the inventory is limited. This one isn't.
    I almost shed a tear when I saw the skill three. Now when you gather skill points you just open a panel and pick some skill up. I loved when you had to go to the master with your skill point to learn a skill. It was so much natural. Plus there was a diffrence between different masters in the level of skill they can teach you. It was realistic. Now (growl) 'the hero' picks up the skills from thin air. So much is lost - hunting for the masters, convincing them to teach you, remebering where they are in the world... It was a second part of the cycle: You do jobs or kill for the experience, then you go spend skill points to get stronger, smarter... And because of that you can do more difficult jobs. And so on.
    Now they just ripped a big part of the story from the game. I don't understand why. That also shortened the gameplay by hours. If they wanted a shorter game they should not made a gothic-like. Gothic is a game that is played slowly, with attention for detail. You slowly learn the world as you walk throught it. That's the whole idea behind 'open world' characteristic of the Gothic. You can go almost anywhere right from the start. You are not bound by some straight line. The masters were a big part of the reason why you came back to towns and villages. Not to have them is c*ap.

Also, talking with somebody is soooooooo much slower now.It is ridiciolus.
    Why does it have to change to a diffrent screen when i start a conversation?And then there is fading.I spend 10 minutes excanging few sentences. It get's boring. Even Gothic 3 without patches wasn't that slow.
    And this is done deliberately.

Anyway, I am pretty dissapointed. I was hoping when the released a patch it will amend some of the things in the game (like the zoom) but the patch is small and insignificant. And now i hear they are releasing an add-on. Already? They just released the main game! It is stand-alone add-on which means you don't need main game to play it. Sound familliar? Let me refresh your memories:

FORSAKEN GODS!

It was the same thing back then. And it was bad. Very few quests with no connections. I didn't even find out what the main story was. I stoped playing after some hours. There was a good number of people there but very few of them had something to say, let alone give you the quest. It was a total dissaster. After the whole game of Gothic 3, which is the biggest in Gothic series, Forsaken gods looked like a demo. Even worse than that. Like they just started developing the game and then for some reason sold it to the public.

Someone said that Arcania looked like it was made for the game-consoles. Controls are very simplified. Mabye they could not be bothered to change a control system of the game so that it fits the PC.

My only hope is that some of the independant programmers will create a Community patch which will change the worst characteristics of the game: control,zoom,inventory... But even if they do, it is going to be a long time before they are done.

2. Beiträge anzeigen #22
    Skinhead  Avatar von Hellbilly

Hellbilly ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von QuiG Beitrag anzeigen
    well, i know the title and i know it was voted to be the worst rpg ever, by that the whole topic should be solved and none should comment at all since all is said, that's what you mean?
    No, I mean that it wasn't voted the worst RPG ever, just the worst RPG of 2010, which is why referring to old RPG's in order to invalidate the vote is irrelevant - but I already said that.

As far as opinions about Arcania go, anyone can have their own.

3. Beiträge anzeigen #23
    Adventurer Avatar von QuiG

QuiG ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Hellbilly Beitrag anzeigen
    No, I mean that it wasn't voted the worst RPG ever, just the worst RPG of 2010, which is why referring to old RPG's in order to invalidate the vote is irrelevant - but I already said that.

As far as opinions about Arcania go, anyone can have their own.
    well, since you keep repeating that line for no reason, sorry for saying the worst rpg ever just now, instead of just 2010, but i already gave the answer to that so no point dragging it on,

but theres way too much talk flying around in reviews telling its the worst ever

however i agree with you completely, everyone have different taste,

but that still doesn't change the fact that i tried to bring positive stuff - which i talked about before

seems like the positive talk to not make people drown in hatred is counted as junk to you? - you would laugh at that since that seems to be your type of humor judging by your first comment against me..

4. Beiträge anzeigen #24
    Rookie

veljkovic ist offline
    Why it is the one of the worst rpg ever?

Because of the expectations. It is fourth member of the series which have benn improved with every new game. But we got a game that was improved only in the graphics department. Everything else was disaster. Linear story, movements, non-chalenging combat, restrictions on the open-world part...
    In the quest part it is even worse than Gothic 1 (and that was uncharterd teritory for game developers.

It is worst because it crushed expectations of a lot of fans.

5. Beiträge anzeigen #25
    #16  Avatar von Forenperser

Forenperser ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Eidolon Beitrag anzeigen
    [Bild: dragon-age-2.jpg]

A challenger appears!

(Oh wait,this 2011.At least we have a nomination for this year's worst RPG)
    Don't overdo it.

DA2 is not a very good game, but to compare it with ArcaniA......

6. Beiträge anzeigen #26
    Apprentice

Fnord ist offline
    I think this particular part sums up why Arcania gets slammed by most CRPGers

As our review explains, Arcania isn't a bad game at all. It's technically decent and works as a newbie RPG or an action-adventure with RPG elements. But as fourth part in a series of hardcore RPGs, Arcania is a complete and utter failure.
    As for Dragon age 2, well I feel that the quite above sums that game as well (simply change Arcania to Dragon age 2). Not that Dragon age 1 was a "hardcore" RPG, but it was far more "hardcore" than Dragon age 2. Had I played Dragon age 2, expecting some simple, shallow entertainment, then I would probably have been pleasantly surprised, but as I did not, I was really disappointed.

7. Beiträge anzeigen #27
    Adventurer

EbonKnight ist offline
    Yep.. Arcania is to Gothic essentially what DA2 is to Dragon Age except for the fact that Dragon Age itself wasn't really an iconically phenomenal game (that would be PS: Torment and Gothic 1&2.. not so much 3) AND DA2 actually has some real RPG elements and suprisingly good writing on every 25th quest or so (which makes for about 3-4 good quests..3-4 more than Arcania)

Still, both are utter and total failures for the same reason really.. they tried to appeal to a larger (read console) audience and that basically alienated us people who still like our RPGs challenging and thought-provoking as opposed to click-fests. Still, neither game comes even close to being the "worst" RPG of all time, but frankly for 2010 Arcania soundly wins and in 2011 DA2 looks a very solid contender.

8. Beiträge anzeigen #28
    banned

Assassin of Kings ist offline
    I think it's an exaggeration to call it worst RPG of the year. Of course it ain't the best either, but overall Arcania isn't a bad game.

9. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #29
    Demigod Avatar von Bastardo

Bastardo ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Assassin of Kings Beitrag anzeigen
    I think it's an exaggeration to call it worst RPG of the year. Of course it ain't the best either, but overall Arcania isn't a bad game.
    See, the fact that you changed the keyword from "RPG" to "game" in the middle of your statement should be an explanation by itself.
    Geändert von Bastardo (25.03.2011 um 21:29 Uhr)

10. Beiträge anzeigen #30

Forenperser ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Assassin of Kings Beitrag anzeigen
    Give me an RPG of 2010 that was worse then ArcaniA

11. Beiträge anzeigen #31
    Schwertmeister Avatar von warstrike

warstrike ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Forenperser Beitrag anzeigen
    Give me an RPG of 2010 that was worse then ArcaniA
    he can`t , there`s not

12. Beiträge anzeigen #32

Forenperser ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von warstrike Beitrag anzeigen
    he can`t , there`s not
    I know, it was a rhetorical statement

13. Beiträge anzeigen #33
    Knight Commander Avatar von TudoracheMG

TudoracheMG ist offline
    For me,Divinity 2:Ego Dragonis felt...more boring than Arcania

14. Beiträge anzeigen #34

Forenperser ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von TudoracheMG Beitrag anzeigen
    For me,Divinity 2:Ego Dragonis felt...more boring than Arcania
    Divinity 2: Ego Draconis came 2009.....

15. Beiträge anzeigen #35
    Knight Commander Avatar von TudoracheMG

TudoracheMG ist offline
    It came out in January 2010 in north america
    Editnd apparently,it didn't have a positive reception
    "On Metacritic, the PC and 360 versions have an average score of 72[7] and 62[8] respectively.
    GameZone's Dan Liebman gave both the PC and Xbox 360 versions an 8.4, saying "Strong narrative and open-ended design are the highlights of this fantasy experience. Divinity II: Ego Draconis will likely be overlooked by many due to the timing of its release, but it offers a genuinely engrossing world for RPG buffs to wallow in."[9]
    IGN scored it a 4.8 out of 10, stating "I can’t recommend the Xbox 360 version of this product to anyone."

16. Beiträge anzeigen #36
    Apprentice Avatar von Susanooo

Susanooo ist offline
    Divinity 2:Ego Dragonis is a far better game then Arcania...saying that DA2 is a bad game...would be a lie...however saying that it will be the worst RPG of 2011,might be true...considering the RPG's that will be released this year(the witcher 2/skyrim/etc)

17. Beiträge anzeigen #37
    Knight Avatar von RobinHood 13.

RobinHood 13. ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Susanooo Beitrag anzeigen
    Divinity 2:Ego Dragonis is a far better game then Arcania...saying that DA2 is a bad game...would be a lie...however saying that it will be the worst RPG of 2011,might be true...considering the RPG's that will be released this year(the witcher 2/skyrim/etc)
    Ehm, you forgot Risen 2: Dark waters which is very likely to beat all of those. Of course this is a subjective matter, and sadly some people have such a bad taste that they enjoy hours of generic encounters in tunnel like maps, and with cliche cutscenes/diaoluges inbetween.

18. Beiträge anzeigen #38

Forenperser ist offline
    I have high expatations for Risen 2, but I think Witcher 2 will be better.

But still Risen 2 will surely beat Skyrim.

19. Beiträge anzeigen #39
    Knight Commander

Nisarg ist offline
    I don't think we have Risen 2 in 2011 though. I think that they intend to release it sometime in the first half of 2012.
    My skin for Opera Web Browser.[Bild: tOC_sig1.jpg]

Seite 2 von 2 « Erste 12