Home Gothic Gothic II Gothic 3 Gothic 4 Downloads Forums

Seite 4 von 4 « Erste 1234
Ergebnis 61 bis 78 von 78
  1. Beiträge anzeigen #61
    Kämpfer Avatar von Nameless2

Nameless2 ist offline
    Surprises me a little Fallout 3 hasn't been mentioned yet. It shares many of the good qualities of the early Gothics, more so than vanilla Oblivion in my opinion. A dark atmosphere reminiscent of Gothic 1, good quality music (jazz radio implemented with news), strong sense of humor and completely open world with still a clear cut storyline to follow.
    Only difference is that it plays in a post nuclear-apocalyptic world with guns. With a player choice for real-time or turn-based (VATS) combat.
    Achtung! Holländer!

2. Beiträge anzeigen #62
    Skinhead  Avatar von Hellbilly

Hellbilly ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Nameless2 Beitrag anzeigen
    Surprises me a little Fallout 3 hasn't been mentioned yet. It shares many of the good qualities of the early Gothics, more so than vanilla Oblivion in my opinion. A dark atmosphere reminiscent of Gothic 1, good quality music (jazz radio implemented with news), strong sense of humor and completely open world with still a clear cut storyline to follow.
    Only difference is that it plays in a post nuclear-apocalyptic world with guns. With a player choice for real-time or turn-based (VATS) combat.
    I am just replaying Fallout 3, and indeed, although I wouldn't perhaps call it so much a "Gothic style game" (which, of course, is in some ways a rather vague concept), it definitely does strike many of the same chords that Gothic struck with me. I know it's not the "in thing" to like the game because "like duh t'ain't no Fallout brah!", but it's a great game with great atmosphere.

3. Beiträge anzeigen #63
    Local Hero Avatar von mihail

mihail ist offline
    Two Wrlds 2 seems to be a good rpg , i could almost say that i feel a bit of gothic atmospher. You have allot of quests , some guilds that unfortunatley you cant join like you would in g1 and g2 , a large world nice armors and weapons, it is someting like oblivion and gothic mixed.

4. Beiträge anzeigen #64
    Apprentice

EVL ist offline
    My first RPG was Morrowind (it came free with ATI9800PRO videocard). I installed it 4 times, tried for a minute and deleted every time, thinking it was a demo for the ATI card!!! LOL Then I gave it a real try, and got hooked so bad! I played for like 2 months straight 5+ hours every day, no help from walk-through sites, even had to go to an eye doctor for treating dried superred eyes from not blinking for too long.
    Morrowind appearred a scary game, once you're out of a town, bad shit happens. It scared me so much that I replaced the doomy sound track with a rock song.
    So when I finished Morrowind, I found that the only game that could aproximately match it was Gothic. Gothic-2 at that moment. So I tried it, and yes the game happened to be pleasantly thought through.
    So, thinking backwards, the only closest to Gothic series game is an Elder Scrolls game, Morrowind on top and Oblivion in case you've played them all. The problem with Oblivion is once you know it, it can be finished in just two days without any cheats, but with the power of Alchemy.
    Gothic-3 is super, but only if your PC can handle it. If you have an SSD as your gaming hard drive, you'll fall in love with it, even though it's very different from G-1 and G-2.
    Risen is a toy, not a game. But to many ppl who don't dig magic, it ain't so. Risen has no philosophy, it doesn't put any requirements on the player, it's a pretty easy thing. And it's a Gothic-2 lookalike, so many ppl are happy about it.

There are no other games in the same sense of an RPG.

5. Beiträge anzeigen #65
    banned

Assassin of Kings ist offline
    The Witcher, it's close to Gothic in some ways and also a very good RPG.

6. Beiträge anzeigen #66
    Adventurer Avatar von rhaz

rhaz ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Assassin of Kings Beitrag anzeigen
    The Witcher, it's close to Gothic in some ways and also a very good RPG.
    from the dark, 'serious' atmosphere point of view, I totally agree! None of that high fantasy sugar-coating

7. Beiträge anzeigen #67
    Ranger Avatar von Untouchable

Untouchable ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von mihail Beitrag anzeigen
    Two Wrlds 2 seems to be a good rpg , i could almost say that i feel a bit of gothic atmospher. You have allot of quests , some guilds that unfortunatley you cant join like you would in g1 and g2 , a large world nice armors and weapons, it is someting like oblivion and gothic mixed.
    Yea, it was a very pleasant surprise, after the first one. First I saw some really bad reviews, so I thought it's bad. But when I played it I was amazed by a very good combat system, especially magic (warrior skills are very fun too) And story is better then average.

So I would definitely recommend TW2 for all open world rpg fans.

8. Beiträge anzeigen #68

Hellbilly ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Untouchable Beitrag anzeigen
    So I would definitely recommend TW2 for all open world rpg fans.
    I wouldn't. TW2 doesn't have an open world; it's very closed. There's a big area you cannot enter AT ALL in single player mode, and if you try to enter New Ashos before the story allows you to, you die before reaching it.

The game begins great, and I was totally thrilled by it at first, but quickly plummets to mediocrity.

9. Beiträge anzeigen #69
    Apprentice

Cryofax ist offline
    I'll definitely endorse Ultima 9 : Ascension as very "gothic-like". The patches have all but fixed the bugs and it runs very well on modern computers. Very worthwhile.

Also Arx Fatalis is similar. It takes place completely underground but is quite large (it's a spritual successor to the Ultima Underworld games).

Dungeon Lords can be buggy but if you give it a chance you'll be rewarded with a deep, and often difficult adventure with some of the best dungeon designs I've seen.

Some have said TwoWorld 1 & 2. Although I enjoyed them both, they aren't nearly as immersive or deep as Gothic, although they're both fun open world games with a unique equipment upgrading system and no level scaling.

10. Beiträge anzeigen #70

Untouchable ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Hellbilly Beitrag anzeigen
    I wouldn't. TW2 doesn't have an open world; it's very closed. There's a big area you cannot enter AT ALL in single player mode, and if you try to enter New Ashos before the story allows you to, you die before reaching it.

The game begins great, and I was totally thrilled by it at first, but quickly plummets to mediocrity.
    That's true, it's not completely opened. But still, it's not linear, and you have option to do side quests when ever you want.

Magic system is one of the best I saw, combination of spells worked very well.
    And it's not that easy to play as a mage. And of course melee combat also is quite enjoyable.

If you can live with the fact that is not that opened world, you can say it's slightly better than mediocre.

11. Beiträge anzeigen #71

Hellbilly ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Untouchable Beitrag anzeigen
    If you can live with the fact that is not that opened world, you can say it's slightly better than mediocre.
    Yup, that much is true. I just wanted to correct a bit because I for one was sorely disappointed with the lack of open world; TW1 had an open world and as such I was expecting TW2 to have one as well. Such a shame that this and some other things ruined what could have been the RPG of 2010 and made it just a barely better than average release;.

12. Beiträge anzeigen #72

Untouchable ist offline
    Yup, that much is true. I just wanted to correct a bit because I for one was sorely disappointed with the lack of open world; TW1 had an open world and as such I was expecting TW2 to have one as well. Such a shame that this and some other things ruined what could have been the RPG of 2010 and made it just a barely better than average release;.

I think developers run out of ideas after the 3rd chapter. Coz they made a huge map like you said before, and you never get to see that big unexplored area in single player mode.

Funny thing is that you can continue the game after the main quest is finished. Oh well, maybe there will be some addon in the future, or DC.

13. Beiträge anzeigen #73
    Apprentice

Cryofax ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von andorian22
    So what were the precursors of Gothic?
    The developers must of got ideas from earlier games, huh?
    Zitat Zitat von .†.MikeL.†. Beitrag anzeigen
    None and that's the very reason Gothic is so memorable, it's quite original.
    You've got to be kidding. Unless I'm completely misunderstanding the question, there is a mountain of games that came before Gothic that it borrows from both in gameplay and plot. It's quite a great RPG in it's own right, and has some nice original elements, but it's hardly wholly original. It borrows liberally from the Ultima games in particular and CRPG conventions established for years beforehand.

On that note I'd recommend the Ultima series (already mentioned U9, which is the most "gothic like", and was released before Gothic). A good place to start is probably Ultima 7 : The Black Gate and forward. You'll want the Exult community addon to play U7 on modern computers

14. Beiträge anzeigen #74
    Apprentice

Cryofax ist offline
    You're misrepresenting TwoWorlds 2. The game is open world. There is a huge island north that has a large inaccessible land mass set aside for the multiplayer adventures. But everywhere you need to go in the single player game is in an open world. You're never meant to go there it's not for the SP game. Everything in the SP game is as totally open world as TwoWorlds 1. Is it a good game? That's debatable, but it's definitely an open world game.

15. Beiträge anzeigen #75

Hellbilly ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Cryofax Beitrag anzeigen
    You're misrepresenting TwoWorlds 2. The game is open world. There is a huge island north that has a large inaccessible land mass set aside for the multiplayer adventures. But everywhere you need to go in the single player game is in an open world. You're never meant to go there it's not for the SP game. Everything in the SP game is as totally open world as TwoWorlds 1.
    Untrue. The areas in the world are closed. You cannot enter New Ashos before you have completed the main questline on the first island and the tutorial island, you will die if you try to enter it. Also, an "open world game" does not have a huge land mass that is closed off artificially by teleporting you out of it should you find a way in (there are several); but even if we'd accept that, the fact that you can't enter New Ashos at your leisure and that it isn't even closed off in any logical fashion explained in the world, like the VoM is in Gothic 2 makes it an un-open world.

16. Beiträge anzeigen #76
    Local Hero

andorian22 ist offline
    Please don't include games with a first-person perspective.
    Dungeon Lords COULD have been good, it's just sucky.
    Two Worlds may be be shallow but they're the closet
    thing to a real Gothic 4 and 5 game.

Going back to G3 and I'm wondering where the hell is my horse!

17. Beiträge anzeigen #77
    Apprentice

Cryofax ist offline
    Untrue. The areas in the world are closed. You cannot enter New Ashos before you have completed the main questline on the first island and the tutorial island, you will die if you try to enter it. Also, an "open world game" does not have a huge land mass that is closed off artificially by teleporting you out of it should you find a way in (there are several); but even if we'd accept that, the fact that you can't enter New Ashos at your leisure and that it isn't even closed off in any logical fashion explained in the world, like the VoM is in Gothic 2 makes it an un-open world.
    I think this is semantics. Every open world game has areas they try to keep you out of early on, or until a certain time in the game. Even Gothic. In Gothic you can find ways to circumvent these barriers before you "should" but then end up breaking quests half the time. Gothic also features the same kind of "unpickable locks" as TwoWorlds, and guards that kill you almost instantly if you enter some areas.

You're right about TwoWorlds artifical blockade "you've lost your way, returning to the path" being lame, but by and large you can go anywhere you want. Like I said the huge island that is largely inaccessible is NEVER meant to be accessible in SP (it's for the MP game). The mistake there was putting it on the SP map so people would see it and complain. The majority of the REST of the game is open world and you can go where you want at any time. New Ashos is about 20% the size of the island you start on and is fully intended to be seen later in the game.

Yes some areas are reserved for later in a clumsy manner, but in the end the result is no different than Gothic keeping you out of certain areas as well (but in a much better conceived manner).

18. Beiträge anzeigen #78

Hellbilly ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Cryofax Beitrag anzeigen
    (but in a much better conceived manner).
    That's the keyphrase. Suspension of belief and all that, and in an open world game, you simply do not drop dead when you put foot in an area you're supposed to visit later. It has to offer some explanation or other viable reason like enemies that are far too tough until you are to enter that area. Gothic does this, TW2 does not. Which makes it a terribly bad exponent of open world games with a highly closed world.

Seite 4 von 4 « Erste 1234