Home Gothic Gothic II Gothic 3 Gothic 4 Downloads Forums

Seite 8 von 10 « Erste ... 45678910 Letzte »
Ergebnis 141 bis 160 von 189
  1. Beiträge anzeigen #141
    Knight Commander

Nisarg ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Omid- Beitrag anzeigen
    I'm pretty slow and lack concentration when reading though, is 150 pages in about 4-5 hours considered slow?
    Depending on the actual amount of text per page, it could be anything from quite slow to very fast.
    My skin for Opera Web Browser.[Bild: tOC_sig1.jpg]

2. Beiträge anzeigen #142
    Dragonslayer Avatar von Omid-

Omid- ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Nisarg Beitrag anzeigen
    Depending on the actual amount of text per page, it could be anything from quite slow to very fast.
    37 Lines of text a page, about 12 words per line. Ok, now it just sounds extremely slow.

3. Beiträge anzeigen #143
    General Avatar von KGS

KGS ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Omid- Beitrag anzeigen
    37 Lines of text a page, about 12 words per line. Ok, now it just sounds extremely slow.
    not at all when you are reading serious stuff

i am reading

[Bild: beyondgood.jpg]

and this for school:
    Spoiler:(zum lesen bitte Text markieren)

4. Beiträge anzeigen #144
    banned

Dantos ist offline

5. Beiträge anzeigen #145
    Dragonslayer Avatar von Powaz

Powaz ist offline
    Picked up "The Name of the Rose". So far very impressed.

Also, every evening I read a short story of Edgar Allan Poe. Brilliant.
    Geändert von Powaz (04.07.2012 um 10:37 Uhr)

6. Beiträge anzeigen #146
    Ranger Avatar von Celestial

Celestial ist offline
    Cultural evolution as a theory in anthropology was developed in the 19th century, and it was an outgrowth of Darwinian evolution. Cultural evolution presumes that over time, cultural change such as the rise of social inequalities or emergence of agriculture occurs as a result of humans adapting to some noncultural stimulus, such as climate change or population growth. However, unlike Darwinian evolution, cultural evolution was considered directional, that is, as human populations transform themselves, their culture becomes progressively complex.

The theory of cultural evolution was applied to archaeological studies by British archaeologists A.H.L. Fox Pitt-Rivers and V.G. Childe in the early 20th century. Americans were slow to follow until Leslie White's study of cultural ecology in the 1950s and 1960s.

Today, the theory of cultural evolution is an (often unstated) underpinning for other, more complex explanations for cultural change, and for the most part archaeologists believe that social changes are not only driven by biology or a strict adaptation to change, but by a complex web of social, environmental, and biological factors.

So, the Vatican doesn't burn heretics at the stake anymore (probably not that they would still like to) but is that cultural evolution?

7. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #147
    Demigod Avatar von Bastardo

Bastardo ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Powaz Beitrag anzeigen
    Picked up "The Name of the Rose". So far very impressed.
    That's the story about the detective priest and his monk sidekick, isn't it? If that's the one I have to agree it's an interesting read, since it's the only book assignment I can still remember from school.
    Geändert von Bastardo (04.07.2012 um 17:20 Uhr)

8. Beiträge anzeigen #148
    Skinhead  Avatar von Hellbilly

Hellbilly ist offline
    I'm reading the Malleus Maleficarum; tried to read it ten years ago but couldn't get past the first third. Somehow I think I'll manage it now (the Quran, the Bible and the Bhagavad Gita were good training, eh!) but I understand well why I gave up on it. It's confusingly naïve, illogically shallow in its reasonings and based on an ignorant, narrow-minded view of the world based on simple circular logic. And the translation is self-servingly and unnecessarily archaic.

I'm also reading Clive Barkers' Weaveworld, which seems like a nice horror/dark fantasy novel with the usual Barker-premise, eg. a world within a world (or, sometimes, a world beside, beyond, upon, mingled with a world), magic, mystery and, since this is one of his earlier novels, darkly perverse horror. So far not one of his best books, but considering his best rank among the best in horror and fantasy, that's not really saying much.

9. Beiträge anzeigen #149

Powaz ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von One Stoned Bastard Beitrag anzeigen
    That's the story about the detective priest and his monk sidekick, isn't it? If that's the one I have to agree it's an interesting read, since it's the only book assignment I can still remember from school.
    Yes, that's the one. By Umberto Eco. History, philosophy, semiotics - all in a detective story. Marvelous.

10. Beiträge anzeigen #150
    Dragonslayer Avatar von Zeri0n

Zeri0n ist offline
    Gotta love faculty of medicine <3
    [Bild: 202734.jpg]

11. Beiträge anzeigen #151
    Knight Avatar von Ariogaisus

Ariogaisus ist offline
    Just downloaded the E-book of Coriolanus, since i loved the movie for some reason. It's excellent, has the Shakespeare sign of quality on it

12. Beiträge anzeigen #152
    Knight Avatar von Ariogaisus

Ariogaisus ist offline
    [Bild: Animators+suvival+kit.jpg]

The Animator's Survival Kit.

13. Beiträge anzeigen #153
    General Avatar von KGS

KGS ist offline
    [Bild: tout-doit-disparaitre.jpg]

to improve my french... and it is quite interesting as well

also Meditations on First Philosophy by Descartes

14. Beiträge anzeigen #154

Hellbilly ist offline
    I've been reading some of my old comic magazines; Judge Dredd, Calvin & Hobbes, The Phantom, Superman and that lot. Good stuff; Calvin & Hobbes is still awesome on every level, The Phantom has always suffered from uneven quality but when it's good, it's really good, with Judge Dredd I realize now I missed the whole level of social criticism when I read them as a wee boy, and old Superman/Batman stories from the 60's and 70's are just endearing in their naivete and optimism for the future... a nice change from the mostly exclusively dystopian views of the future in modern fiction.

15. Beiträge anzeigen #155
    Dragonslayer Avatar von Nefekto

Nefekto ist offline
    So I finally finished the "Legend of Drizzt" series + the three books about Jarlaxle and Entreri. Now I'm sitting here and wondering what should I do next, I mean I've been reading the books since fall last year, of course I expected to finish them eventually but it never occurred to me that I'd feel this "puzzled". I will get to "A song of Ice and Fire" eventually, but knowing that it will take me a while I'm thinking about something else to read in the meanwhile.

16. Beiträge anzeigen #156

Hellbilly ist offline
    Just started on Andrzej Sapkowskis' The Last Wish (The Witcher), which I got as a gift some time ago. A few short stories into it, and it seems pretty good so far. The characters are interesting, the writing is pretty vivid, and there's sufficient but not excessive amount of detail in the descriptions. The stories are pretty fragmentary, though, so it's impossible to say how the writing fares in longer form. I think I'm gonna add the rest of the books to my want list based on what I've read so far.

17. Beiträge anzeigen #157
    Knight Avatar von Stalagmite

Stalagmite ist offline
    [Bild: 51fFEa9fkVL.jpg]

RL is better than Fantasy.

18. Beiträge anzeigen #158
    General Avatar von KGS

KGS ist offline
    started Critique of Pure Reason by Kant, and got past the prefaces and the introduction
    this is going to be a great book

19. Beiträge anzeigen #159

Powaz ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von KGS Beitrag anzeigen
    started Critique of Pure Reason by Kant, and got past the prefaces and the introduction
    this is going to be a great book
    Damn right!

I'm reading Beautiful Losers by Leonard Cohen.

[Bild: beautifullosers.jpg]

20. Beiträge anzeigen #160
    Kämpferin Avatar von Alexandra Victoria

Alexandra Victoria ist offline
    Where ever you go, there you are.

Seite 8 von 10 « Erste ... 45678910 Letzte »