Home Gothic Gothic II Gothic 3 Gothic 4 Downloads Forums

Seite 6 von 10 « Erste ... 2345678910 Letzte »
Ergebnis 101 bis 120 von 189
  1. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #101
    Mythos Avatar von Onisuzume

Onisuzume ist offline
    [Bild: book_The_Ghosts_of_Blood_and_Innocence_%28UK_Revised_Ed.%29.jpg]
    Too bad its the last book in the series.
    I also finished reading this one:
    [Bild: book_The_Wraiths_of_Will_and_Pleasure_%28UK_Revised_Ed.%29.jpg]

Might try to find the Wiedźmin books next.

2. Beiträge anzeigen #102
    General Avatar von KGS

KGS ist offline

3. Beiträge anzeigen #103
    Dragonslayer Avatar von Nefekto

Nefekto ist offline
    Finished lotr finally, it was a slow read... but it was good nonetheless.

4. Beiträge anzeigen #104
    Apprentice

Chulainn ist offline
    Fate Zero. Fourth volume. Fascinating book indeed.

[Bild: fatezero04000a.jpg]

5. Beiträge anzeigen #105
    General Avatar von ICFabian

ICFabian ist offline
    [Bild: 122001164.jpeg]

Urban fantasy.

6. Beiträge anzeigen #106
    Skinhead  Avatar von Hellbilly

Hellbilly ist offline
    Finnish translation of H.P. Lovecraft's only novel (novelette), The Case Of Charles Dexter Ward. The premise is good, but for those who're familiar with Lovecraft's style of writing, the gist of the "mystery" is already revealed in the introductory first chapter; as usual for Lovecraft, the prologue-like beginning is presented as written after the events of the story have taken place. Generally speaking, this is like almost any of Lovecraft's short stories, except longer, and the length seems to come more from excess repetition than an increased amount of twists, turns and plot devices. Worth a read for fans, but not his best work.

Also read an anthology by Finnish horror writer Kari Nenonen, called Noitarovio (With Pyre); some good ideas, one well-presented sci-fi/horror story with an interesting setting, and lots of clumsiness. I think this embodies the whole budding horror/dark fantasy-scene of the early 90's Finland: enthusiasm, good ideas, but unpolished writing and clumsy presentation. Decent amateurs but nothing more, with one or two notable exceptions. Sadly, these humble but not unpromising foundations never really blossomed into a world-class Finnish scene of horror writers, although a few significant dark fantasy/horror novels have been written by authors who originated from this "scene".

7. Beiträge anzeigen #107
    Dragonslayer Avatar von Danutz_plusplus

Danutz_plusplus ist offline
    Hey all, how are things?

I haven't visited the forums in quite a while, but I'd recommend a book I'd just finished. I originally saw the movie, The Road, and found it quite good. But I just finished the book, by Cormac Mccarth, on which the movie is based on. And my god is it good. The movie is very similar to the book, in that most events in the book are portrayed in the movie. But it's way more intense than what you get on-screen.

Cormac Mccarthy - The Road
    [Bild: the-road-cormac-mccarthy1.jpg]

It about the travels of a father and son across a postapocaliptic landscape, trying to keep what whatever they have left of their humanity, to keep the fire safe as they put it, and trying not to succumb to what the majority of the remaining humans have succumbed to. Cannibalism, harvesting people for human meat, and even to the extremes of
    Spoiler:(zum lesen bitte Text markieren)
    eating newly born infants
    . It's quite gruesome, but even among all this bleakness the light of hope is being carried by the two as we partake in their journey.

It's really good, and even though I usually can never read any book for more than 3 or so hours at a time, I finished this one in 2 sittings. I highly recommend it.

8. Beiträge anzeigen #108
    Local Hero Avatar von DonPhoenix

DonPhoenix ist offline
    I'm currently reading a book by Valerio Massimo Manfredi: Empire of the dragons. I just started the book so I have nothing to summarise at the moment.

[Bild: small]
    Geändert von DonPhoenix (08.08.2011 um 10:35 Uhr)

9. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #109
    Dragonslayer Avatar von Lazor

Lazor ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Danutz_plusplus
    Hey all, how are things?
    Good to know that you're fine and still exist man !

I've also watched the movie "The Road" when it was released, it was simply amazing.

At the moment I'm reading an all-time classic by George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four.

[Bild: poster_1984_lrg.jpg]

10. Beiträge anzeigen #110

Nefekto ist offline
    [Bild: 68418.jpg]

The Dark Elf Trilogy

I finished lotr some time ago so I started reading the dark elf, and I do have to say that so far it's very entertaining, I really like it a lot.

11. Beiträge anzeigen #111
    Skinhead  Avatar von Hellbilly

Hellbilly ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Danutz_plusplus Beitrag anzeigen
    Cormac Mccarthy - The Road
    Hell yes. A must-read, absolutely. The movie was outstanding as well, and I'd actually recommend to watching the movie and reading the book back to back. A very thought-provoking, deep and poetic book.

Zitat Zitat von Nefekto Beitrag anzeigen
    The Dark Elf Trilogy
    This is a pretty good trilogy; the first book is pretty non-standard fantasy, and although the trilogy does get progressively more cliché towards the end, it retains a pleasantly good level throughout. The first Drizzt-book, chronologically taking place after this second trilogy, is also good but definitely more standard run-of-the-mill fantasy, and after that the Drizzt-stories take a nosedive.

I'm reading Gary Larsons' The Complete Far Side, two heavy and massive hardcover volumes containing all 4300+ (mainly) single panel comics ever published of this already classic, bizarre comic. I've been a fan ever since some time in the mid-nineties when I started understanding it, and obviously, the comic is best enjoyed in English. All in all, an essential item for Larson-fans, comic collectors and people with a bizarre sense of humour. Usually this one goes for a hefty price (obviously, since both volumes are THICK and the quality is very good), but I chanced upon a sale and got it for a laughable 60 euros.

12. Beiträge anzeigen #112
    Knight Avatar von Stalagmite

Stalagmite ist offline
    Artemis Entreri, one of the best fantasy villains of all time. It's worth reading just because of how badass he is. Too bad the books were milked to death soon after the awesomeness wore off aka too soon.

13. Beiträge anzeigen #113

14. Beiträge anzeigen #114
    Held Avatar von Neomadra

Neomadra ist offline
    I am reading at the moment:

Mustaine - A Life in Metal

[Bild: mustainelife.jpg]

It's not the kind of book that I usually read, but it's very good so far.

15. Beiträge anzeigen #115
    Dragonslayer Avatar von Powaz

Powaz ist offline
    Just finished this little novel:
    [Bild: the_trial.large.jpg]
    One of the most captivating and thought provoking novels I've read so far. Great atmosphere and style. Kafka is for sure one of the most important 20th century writers, no doubt about it.

I'm also reading Die Klavierspielerin by Elfriede Jelinek.
    Geändert von Powaz (18.10.2011 um 20:35 Uhr)

16. Beiträge anzeigen #116
    General Avatar von KGS

KGS ist offline
    finished Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Marquez for school
    also reading
    [Bild: 584564.jpg]

Kafka is an amazing author indeed, i read lots of his stories this summer, didn't get to the novels though

17. Beiträge anzeigen #117
    Dragonslayer Avatar von Powaz

Powaz ist offline
    Just started reading The Castle by Kafka.

18. Beiträge anzeigen #118
    Veteran Avatar von kojocel

kojocel ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Powaz Beitrag anzeigen
    Just started reading The Castle by Kafka.
    I loved that book.

A.t.m, Miguel de Cervantes - Don Quijote

[Bild: 400000000000000039688_s4.jpg]

19. Beiträge anzeigen #119

Nefekto ist offline
    [Bild: 1480170-L.jpg]

Starless Night

The eight book in legend of drizzt. So far it keeps me entertained but I'm wondering how long can Salvatore keep them going since they're slowly getting worse and worse.

20. Beiträge anzeigen #120
    Fighter Avatar von Saberstorm

Saberstorm ist offline
    I am writing my own book. It is a fantasy about the Minotaur of Greek legend. So far it is really good. The first chapter is from the point of view of a high class prostitute who falls in love with her client, the King of Lydia. Lydia is southwestern turkey these days. Its capital city is Saris, where the maze was located.

Later Poseidon lays a curse on the King of Lydia. In my version, it is because of his intrigues with the high dollar whore. Poseidon's curse is that the King's son is born horribly deformed, half man / half bull. I tell that part of the story from the point of view of the Minotaur's mom, the Queen of Lydia. After that, I will switch to Theseus, the Greek Hero who slays the Minotaur.

Like I said, so far it is pretty good. I hope to write 175 pages this next month!!!
    "Don't throw stones at every dog that barks at you" George Silver

Seite 6 von 10 « Erste ... 2345678910 Letzte »