Home Risen Risen2 Risen3 Forum English Russian

Registrieren Hilfe Kalender Heutige Beiträge
Seite 1 von 2 12 Letzte »
Ergebnis 1 bis 20 von 27

Metasyntaktische Variable
    Common questions and problems

In this thread, we collect the frequently asked questions and problems around RISEN concerning all technical aspects. If you have a technical question, we strongly advise that you look for an answer here first before you post in the forum. If you have a suggestion or correction about these FAQ, please send a PM to the moderators.

Table of contents

Common questions and problems

How do I activate anti-aliasing (AA)?

Why do I get a virus alert with the demo?

What can I do against lags when entering new areas (streaming)?

I get the error message "Please insert the original DVD!".

How do I activate the cheat mode?

Why is my quest log empty?

Error message: "failed to Create Physics SDK"

Error message: "can't find correct context in gfx system"

My PC reboots or shows a blue screen when I launch the game!

Day/Night changes are way too fast!

Why can't I start the game under Windows 7?

Why do black polygons flicker on my screen?

What can I do against lags?

Stutter while playing sounds and videos

Why are all the chairs, tables and other furniture pieces missing?

Why does RISEN crash with exception code 0xc0000005?

Why is there a grey veil or mist all over the screen?

Why do I hear a cheeping from my PC in the menu?

Where are the savegames? Where is the user configuration file?

Why are static shadows displayed incorrectly?

The game asks me for an activation code when I try to start it. Where can I find it?

How can I find out about my current frame rate in the game?

I have a graphics card from ATI/AMD and experience display glitches. What can I do?

Why do I get the message "Out of memory" (SmartHeap Library)?

Do I really need NVidia’s PhysX? Even if I have an AMD graphics card?

foobar ist offline Geändert von foobar (24.07.2013 um 12:47 Uhr)

How do I activate anti-aliasing (AA)?

NVidia cards:

This cannot be done in the game settings. If you have a NVidia card, you can rename the file risen.exe to vanguard.exe. After that, use the global settings in the NVidia control panel to enforce anti-aliasing. Changing only the local profile for the vanguard.exe did not work in our tests, you have to change the global settings.

Result: Before (without AA), After (4x MSAA).

Alternatively, you can try to create a custom profile using the Vanguard compability options with an external program like nHancer.

AMD/ATI cards:

It has been reported that renaming the risen.exe to ut3.exe does the trick. However, some users also reported having severe performance issues with that or having to correct brightness and contrast settings.
    foobar ist offline

Why do I get a virus alert with the demo?

This a false alert which is quite common with virus scanners of all kinds. You can safely ignore this message and put the RISEN demo into your exclusion list. There will probably be a signature update available shortly that fixes this problem.

However, if you downloaded the demo from an untrusted source, it is possible that this is really a virus. Hence, only download the demo from trusted sources.
    foobar ist offline Geändert von foobar (06.10.2009 um 11:56 Uhr)

What can I do against lags when entering new areas (streaming)?

Generally, drops in the framerate are always to be expected with games that use this kind of technology to dynamically load game data from the disk when necessary (streaming). This is a fundamental problem and cannot be solved with normal hard disks. However, there some things you can try to improve the situation a bit:

• Set the swap file for Windows to a fixed size (and make it large enough!). Normally, this file dynamically grows and shrinks in size which of course takes times and also causes it to fragment.
    • If possible, move the swap file to a different hard disk than RISEN is installed to. That way, excessive seeks between the swap file and the RISEN data during the swapping process can be avoided.
    • Defragment your hard disks.
    • With SATA systems: Use the AHCI mode. Be careful: For XP, this requires special drivers which must be installed first otherwise your system won't boot after you changed the setting in the BIOS. Vista and Win7 need the AHCI drivers enabled prior to switching the mode in the BIOS. Follow the instruction of your board or chipset manufacturer.
    • With PATA systems: Install the latest chipset drivers and ensure you are using the highest possible DMA settings.
    • Deactivate programs that also access the hard disk such as virus scanners or the indexing service.
    • Some mainboards for AMD processors (especially a few models from Asus) are known to cause extreme CPU load on I/O transfers and/or sound stuttering when the C1E is enabled in the BIOS. Try to disable it and if that improves your system's performance greatly, look for a BIOS update which may fix this issue for your board.
    • The energy management of Intel CPUs can also slow down I/O in some cases. You should check if disabling EIST in the BIOS setup enhances your I/O performance. Warning: If you have a Core i5 or i7, you will also disable TurboBoost if you turn off EIST. Then you must choose between frequency and I/O transfer rate.
    • Since early 2010, hard disk manufacturers have started selling disks which internally use sectors that are 4 kilobytes large. For compability reasons, these disks still pretend on their interface to have the old sector size of 512 bytes. Because of this and because most filesystems (including NTFS) use a blocksize of 4K as well, badly aligned partition borders can have a negative impact on performance. Windows XP and before as well as Linux distributions from before mid 2010 align partition borders so that the first partition starts at logical sector 63. That is 512 bytes short of the start of a physical sector in the disk. As a result, each block in the filesystem requires two read/write operations instead of one (first the end of the first one, then the start of the second one). As you might imagine, this costs performance.
      Hence, you should always align your partition borders at 4K. Partitions that were created with Windows Vista or later or any recent Linux distribution should be fine. Everyone else should check the alignment. If the logical start sector of the partition is a multiple of 8, then you're good (8 x 512 = 4096 = 4K). If not, you can use a suitable partition manager to move the border (don't forget to make a backup!).

Also possible, but requiring more effort or money:

• If you have several hard disks, combine them to a RAID 0 array. That will increase throughput. Be aware though that all data on a RAID 0 is lost if only one disk fails. Hence, the probility of failure for the array is the sum of the failure probability of the individual disks it is composed of.
    • Buy a new, faster hard disk. It should have at least 7.200 rpm, there are also SATA disks with 10.000 rpm. Fast disks are louder, however. Prefer disks with a large cache and short access times.
    • Use a SSD (solid state disk). Those use flash memory which are rather fast (at least while reading) because there are no seek times. Be sure to use a fast one.
    • If you have a lot of RAM (4-8 GB) which you do not require otherwise, copy RISEN to a ram disk. That will drastically speed up the streaming. But all data will be lost on shutdown so this must be repeated every time you power up your system. There is commercial ram disk software available which automates that, however.
    foobar ist offline Geändert von foobar (11.02.2011 um 09:22 Uhr)

I get the error message "Please insert the original DVD!".

If you get this error with the original DVD in the drive, you have problem with the Tagès copy protection. You can try these things:

• Install the new Tagès drivers (x86, x86_64).
    • Eject the DVD, re-inject it and play via the AutoPlay function or just try again the normal way.
    • Use a special tool that reduces the speed of your DVD drive (that will also make it less noisy). Known programs of this kind are:

Especially HD-DVD drives from Toshiba (i.e. TS-L802A) are known to cause problems. Developers of other games also protected by Tagès claimed that the firmware of these drives does not support certain commands which are mandantory according to the DVD standard and are used by Tagès. Furthermore, no firmware updates are to be expected by Toshiba since these drives are not sold anymore.

If you have a Toshiba drive and/or the hints above do not help, contact the official support for your country (see your game manual).
    foobar ist offline Geändert von foobar (23.02.2010 um 13:45 Uhr)

How do I activate the cheat mode?

While playing or being in the menu, enter the word »minsky«. Perhaps you need a few tries but the code is correct. If you see the message "testmode activated" in the game, it worked.

Then you can open the console with the caret key (^) and enter commands ("list" with show you what commands are available). There is also a tab completion implemented so it's fairly easy to figure out the codes.

For a complete list of all available cheat codes, see our Cheat Section.
    foobar ist offline Geändert von foobar (03.04.2010 um 13:30 Uhr)

Why is my quest log empty?

First, make sure you do not have a filter active. The buttons above the quest list filter out any quests that are not from the selected area. If your currently selected area has no (open) quests, the list will be empty and quests from other areas are only hidden.

This problem appears to be linked to the system font size settings. RISEN inherits the font settings from Windows. Unusual for a game but in accordance with Microsoft specifications. Try to set your Windows font size back to default, first.

If that does not help, try these:
    • Set a 4:3 or 16:9 resolution in the game
    • Restore the DPI settings to the Windows default
    • Switch your Windows design to "Windows Classic"
    foobar ist offline Geändert von foobar (06.10.2009 um 11:57 Uhr)

Error message: "failed to Create Physics SDK"

If you start the game and get this error:

Severe error found
    engine FATAL ERROR
    Module: C: eCPhysicScene::PostInitialize(): failed to Create Physics SDK

You do not have the PhysX runtime engine installed. The current version can be found in the links in our READ THIS BEFORE POSTING thread or on the DVD.

Error message: "can't find correct context in gfx system"

You connected a new or different monitor to your system and now get the following error:

Severe error found
    engine FATAL ERROR
    Module: C: eCApplication::CreateEngine() - can't find correct context in gfx system

RISEN cannot use the previous resolution with the new mirror and fails to fall back to a supported resolution.

Solution option 1:

• Connect your old monitor
    • Set resolution in the game to 800x600
    • Connect new monitor
    • Set resolution to desired value

Solution option 2:

Alternatively, you can delete your ConfigUser.xml (see here for location). That will reset all game settings. Advanced users can try and edit the file to manually change the game's resolution.

Solution option 3:

Use the program Risen-Tune to change the resolution settings in your configuration file.
    foobar ist offline Geändert von foobar (26.01.2012 um 15:49 Uhr)

My PC reboots or shows a blue screen when I launch the game!

If your PC reboots or displays a "STOP 0x00000000" error, you may have a problem with the Tagès copy protection drivers.

Get the newest drivers (x86, x86_64) and install them. If necessary, follow the manufacturer's instruction for removal, first.

Day/Night changes are way too fast!

You have a CPU by AMD with more than one core and the ingame time is progressing much too fast? You probably need to install the Dual-Core-Optimizer! Link can be found in the READ THIS BEFORE POSTING thread.

Why can't I start the game under Windows 7?

First of all, Windows 7 is not officially supported! The game does not have to run at all and show all kinds of strange behaviour!

Then, if you start it, try to directly launch the risen.exe from the installation directory. To not start the game via any links or shortcuts.

Why do black polygons flicker on my screen?

You have a NVidia card and on your display, black area flicker and block your view (Screenshot 1, Screenshot 2, Screenshot 3)?

Maybe your driver installation is broken! Deinstall the driver completely with the system control panel (important!). Then install the most recent NVidia drivers. Even if you already installed the most recent drivers, follow this procedure!

What can I do against lags?

If you have general lags or a low framerate even your system should be fast enough, try to:

• NVidia: Completely disable the PhysX acceleration in your NVidia control panel
    • NVidia: Set the maximum amount of prerendered frames to 0 in the NVidia control panel
    • Check out our general hints for streaming related lags: Link
    • NVidia: Deinstall the drivers of the version 19x and install the old driver 181.20.
    foobar ist offline Geändert von foobar (06.10.2009 um 11:58 Uhr)

Stutter while playing sounds and videos

If you have a NVidia card or chipset, disable the PhysX acceleration in your NVidia control panel completely.
    foobar ist offline Geändert von foobar (06.10.2009 um 11:58 Uhr)

Why are all the chairs, tables and other furniture pieces missing?

This can happen when you continue a savegame from the demo with the retail version. Doing that is not officially supported and can cause all kinds of problems. One of which you are experiencing now. It's probably the best to delete all savegames from the demo and start a new game.

Even if you did not reuse an old savegame, you usually can still fix this by beginning a new game. Whatever the problem is, it is appearently only limited to a certain savegame and not the game itself.
    foobar ist offline Geändert von foobar (14.10.2009 um 03:52 Uhr)

Why does RISEN crash with exception code 0xc0000005?

This code indicates an invalid memory access. Cause could be many things, including faulty memory, broken device drivers, NX problems, etc.

Possible attempts:

1. If you are using SweetFX, Reshade or similar “hacks”, try to launch the game without them and see if the problem persists.
    2. Reinstall Risen from scratch.
    3. If you are using Windows XP with ServicePack 2, install the ServicePack 3!
    4. Use the Dependency Walker on RISEN to search for missing, broken or invalid DLLs.
    5. Update all device drivers if not done yet.
    6. Test your system memory (we have a HOWTO on that)
    7. Test your GPU memory (e.g. with VMT).
    8. Disable the data execution prevention. There are programs which do not properly mark executable data (i.e. JIT compilation).
    foobar ist offline Geändert von foobar (21.04.2015 um 13:42 Uhr)

Why is there a grey veil or mist all over the screen?

You have a NVidia graphics card of the series GeForce 6 or 7 and see a grey veil or fog all over your screen (Screenshot #1, Screenshot #2, Screenshot #3).

Hotfix:

This is a bug and there's a hotfix for it which you can download here.

Known issues of the hotfix:
    • Sometimes, the installation program does not recognise your RISEN installation. Then you can just extract the files and copy them to the subdirectory data\compiled in the RISEN installation directory.
      You also download these extracted patch files from our user zyankali~.
    • On some systems, it has been reported that the fix introduces a new problem. Torches project a light circle like a car headlight (Screenshot #1, Screenshot #2).
    • If you use the patch with the demo or a polish/russian version, it may be required that you rename the files effects.00 and materials.00 in the directory mentioned above. Just change the suffix from .00 to .p00 for each of them.
    • The fix will probably not work with the RISEN version from Steam. Wait until Steam provides a fix.

Problems with the hotfix and the recent patch:

If the problem reappears after you installed the recent patch, then follow try this:

First: Install the latest patch, overwriting the hotfix.

Then: Check the directory data\compiled in the Risen installation directory. Now place the extracted hotfix files (see above) in there but rename them so that their filenames do not conflict with existing ones.

Example: If there is already a file named materials.p00 then rename the corresponding file from the NVidia hotfix to materials.p01.

Workaround:

This will reduce the problem but not solve it:

1. In the graphics options in the game menu, set
      • brightness to 0%
      • contrast to +30%
      • red to -20%
      • blue to -10%
    2. Then, activate the cheat mode (see FAQ), open the console and enter the following commands:
      • Weather Gyrger_Sunny_Green
      • time 12

Please note that this will disable the weather settings and change ingame time. Hence, your gaming experience will be reduced. We suggest you use the hotfix (see above).
    foobar ist offline Geändert von foobar (20.03.2010 um 16:54 Uhr)

Why do I hear a cheeping from my PC in the menu?

The main menu is easy to calculate. Hence, the frame rate reaches very high values there if it is not artificially throttled. On some graphic cards, such high frame rates can cause a high frequency vibration in the coils mounted on the card which can be heard as cheeping or squeaking. Technically, this is a construction fault by the card's manufacturer. However, the problem is relatively widespread.

Enable the vertical synchronisation (vsync) in the driver for card. That will limit the framerate of the card to the refresh rate of the monitor and should stop the cheeping in most cases.
    foobar ist offline

Where are the savegames? Where is the user configuration file?

The savegames are located in the following directory:
    • For XP: %userprofile%\Documents\Risen\SaveGames
    • For Vista/Win7: %userprofile%\Saved Games\Risen\Savegames

The file ConfigUser.xml is located here:
    • For XP: %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Risen
    • For Vista/Win7: %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Risen

Just copy the path as written above in the address field of the Windows Explorer and hit ENTER. You should be taken to the correct directory.
    foobar ist offline

Seite 1 von 2 12 Letzte »