Portal-Zone Gothic-Zone Gothic II-Zone Gothic 3-Zone Gothic 4-Zone Modifikationen-Zone Download-Zone Foren-Zone RPG-Zone Almanach-Zone Spirit of Gothic

Ergebnis 1 bis 3 von 3
  1. Beiträge anzeigen #1 Zitieren
    Lehrling

Baardhaas ist offline

Game keeps crashing

My game keeps crashing. At first I could start a new game, played around in Ardea a little, made a save, played some more and pulled out a torch. That's when the trouble started, the game crashed and my savegame crashes within a second after loading. Can't start a new game either, since it will crash within a second too.

These are the type of crashes I'm getting:
    Gothic3.exe
    caused a EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
    in module <UNKNOWN> at 0023:100041C6

Gothic3.exe
    in module <UNKNOWN> at 0023:011141C6

Gothic3.exe
    in module <UNKNOWN> at 0023:6D9A4C9A

I'm using the Steam version, with the following additions:
    Community patch 1.75 + mouse fix
    UP 1.04.11
    QP 4.2 + update for 1.75
    CM 3.1

In addition I use the Vulkan Api recommended by Kirides, otherwise I couldn't start a new game at all. And changed certain graphic settings back to their default to make the game less dark, as described by MadFaTal.

My system specs are as follows:
    Windows 10 pro, version 2004

Ryzen 3600
    32GB DDR4 @3200mhz
    AMD RX5700 XT

Any input is much appreciated. Last time I've played Gothic 3 must have been over 5 or 6 years ago, and I love to give it another go with the updated content mod.

Edit: by changing the g3.ini back to it's default values the crashes seemed to have stopped.
    Geändert von Baardhaas (24.01.2021 um 16:30 Uhr)

2. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #2 Zitieren
    Ehrengarde Avatar von Knighter

Knighter ist offline
    Good morning Baardhaas,

I think the problem is the RX5700XT. Many people have problems with this graphics card, when they play Gothic3 and set the vegetation limits and vegetation quality to maximum settings. Try to set them to lower quality and it should work

In the later game in Varant or Nordmar you can put them to max and it should work too.

3. Beiträge anzeigen #3 Zitieren
    Lehrling

Baardhaas ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Knighter Beitrag anzeigen
    Good morning Baardhaas,

I think the problem is the RX5700XT. Many people have problems with this graphics card, when they play Gothic3 and set the vegetation limits and vegetation quality to maximum settings. Try to set them to lower quality and it should work

In the later game in Varant or Nordmar you can put them to max and it should work too.
    Thanks for your reply. I think you're right that my GPU is the root of the problem. With the renewed popularity of AMD, we might see more users with these problems in the future (when the GPU shortages are finally solved), assuming these problems are also present on Navi 2 GPU's.

I've got the game to run relatively stable without sacrificing too much graphic fidelity by reducing the texture size using MadFatal's clean-up tool. I still get the occasional crash, mostly after doing a lot of fast traveling between Varant-Myrtana_Nordmar. Sometimes textures fail to load properly, which is a sign I need to restart the game.

Certain effects, like the watersplash from the waterfalls and certain fog/water effects fail to render properly, slightly glitched that is. I believe this is due to using the Vulkan Api instead of directx.

Despite the above mentioned issues and its 2006 release date, the game is still quite a looker on 1440p on the highest detail setting (albeit with reduced textures).