Home Risen Risen2 Risen3 Forum English Russian

Registrieren Hilfe Kalender Heutige Beiträge
Ergebnis 1 bis 5 von 5
  1. #1 Zitieren
    Rookie
    Hi there, I'm glad to be here, although it seems this help board hasn't had activity for some time.

I noticed that if I buy a merchant's whole stock and leave the store screen and then return to the store immediately, that merchant will have replenished his stock (e.g lockpicks). I'd like to ask if you consider this fair? Is it a bug by chance?
    PhantomR ist offline

2. #2 Zitieren

Metasyntaktische Variable
    Fair or unfair to whom? It’s a single-player game, you’re not competing against anyone.

It’s been a while since I last played the game, but I think that most merchant inventory is updated once per chapter. Which, by the way, also means that everything you sold them disappears at the beginning of a new chapter, so beware of that. There are, however, some exceptions to that rule. For example: Caspar (which is his name in the German version, some NPCs were renamed by the translators) always has lockpicks, apples, and empty scrolls. And some dude selling fish in the harbour town always has fresh fish. That sort of thing.

Given the specific nature of the items and NPCs in question, my instinct is to say that this was probably intentional and is not a bug. Ultimately, you do need to pay for it all. And the total amount of money in the game is limited, as I recall. So you can only ever get so much of something.

Welcome to the forum, by the way. We’ve been practicing for COVID-19 for a few years now, that’s why everything is a little bit empty.
    foobar ist offline

3. #3 Zitieren
    Rookie
    Zitat Zitat von foobar Beitrag anzeigen
    Fair or unfair to whom? It’s a single-player game, you’re not competing against anyone.
    I meant whether it's not somewhat a mechanic abuse if I like buy 50 lockpicks from Caspar (I was also talking about him, his name is the same in the English version) by revisiting his store 5 times (he only sells 10 at a time). I mean, in this case, why didn't they just make him sell infinite lockpicks?

I did not know they lose items after passing a chapter, thanks for telling me .

Zitat Zitat von foobar Beitrag anzeigen
    Welcome to the forum, by the way. We’ve been practicing for COVID-19 for a few years now, that’s why everything is a little bit empty.
    Thank you! Haha, that really fits the current situation. I hope we all get through this well.
    PhantomR ist offline

4. #4 Zitieren

Metasyntaktische Variable
    Zitat Zitat von PhantomR Beitrag anzeigen
    I meant whether it's not somewhat a mechanic abuse if I like buy 50 lockpicks from Caspar
    The developers apparently didn’t think so. But again, it’s a single-player game. You’re only playing for yourself. If you decide to impose more limitations on yourself than what the game has built-in because it feels like an abuse to you, who am I to say it’s wrong? There are also people who try to play the game without dying, only using savegames when they have to pause. And if they die, they restart from scratch. If they’re having fun that way, why not? But that doesn’t mean that using savegames in the normal fashion is an abuse of a legitimate, built-in mechanic of the game.

That’s how I see the lockpicks. Absent of evidence to the contrary, I assume that it was intentional and is a legitimate mechanic. And I kind of like it when game developers don’t tighten the thumbscrews on players too much and allow them to play the game in a way that they can have fun with. Because generally speaking: In a single-player game without competition, if you have any kind of “cheat” or “exploit” (for lack of a better term), those who like that can use it. And those who don’t like it, don’t have to. They can just ignore it. Everybody’s happy. The only issue is with people who would like to play without, but are tempted by its presence into using it. And that’s a problem with their self-discipline. The game isn’t to blame for their weak will, and it should not force me into playing “the one true way” because other people can’t control themselves. Someone else deciding for me how I’m supposed to have fun is a smaller version of the old meme about multiplayer. I don’t like that.

I mean, in this case, why didn't they just make him sell infinite lockpicks?
    I can only speculate. Maybe they thought it would look more believable. Infinite lockpicks? How is that possible? But having 10 new picks every time you visit him can be plausible. He could have just gotten some more while you were away. The illusion only falls apart when you look into his inventory several times in a row. But not when you use the vendor just once per visit.

Having to reopen the inventory several times also makes it more tedious to get many lockpicks, which may be an intentional deterrence. Those who really want or need a lot of lockpicks can still get them, but they have to go through the hassle of buying them 10 pieces at a time. That might discourage them from taking too many. Whereas with infinite lockpick (or 99 lockpicks or something like that), you’d be tempted to just stock up on them. One can never have enough lockpicks, potions, etc., after all.

To the best of my knowledge, the developers never said definitively whether or not they consider this a bug or why they did it this way. It’s the game we have, and that’s how we have to play it.
    foobar ist offline

5. #5 Zitieren
    Rookie
    Thank you very much . I guess you're right, I can choose not to use this 'feature' if I don't want to. Still, it's interesting that not all merchants manifest this behavior. For example, Costa from Harbor City does not replenish his lockpicks stock if you visit him successively. On the other hand, Patty and Caspar do. Another merchant which seemingly replenishes his stock (at least plaice) is the fish seller in Harbor City (the one who buys the fish stall).

I've no idea why I keep replaying this game. I haven't played it for years, but I just felt like playing it for the 3rd time.
    PhantomR ist offline