Portal-Zone Gothic-Zone Gothic II-Zone Gothic 3-Zone Gothic 4-Zone Modifikationen-Zone Download-Zone Foren-Zone RPG-Zone Almanach-Zone Spirit of Gothic

Ergebnis 1 bis 15 von 15
  1. Beiträge anzeigen #1 Zitieren
    Apprentice

Johnny99 ist offline

FPS drops

Hey guys. Is there a way to mitigate FPS drops in Gothic 3? I'm using Community Patch 1.75 (GOG.com version) + 4GB Patch. My system is: Ryzen 3 1300X, GTX 1060, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 64-bit. All drivers are up-to-date and the game, including the savegame folder are on an SSD.

2. Beiträge anzeigen #2 Zitieren
    Schwertmeister

BilboBeutlin ist offline
    In general you can't avoid all FPS drops since Gothic3 uses only one thread/core and is far away from optimized.
    The more animated objects are in view, the more the framerate decreases.

Some hints:
    - The Rizen 3 1300X runs with ~3,5 GHz - so you shouldn't use high detail settings.
    - Disable all postprocessing effects since this is all calculated by the CPU. Use only FXAA.
    - Use a high-speed drive for Gothic3 datas (SSD or RAM-disc) and optimize the datas by G3CU.
    - Run parallel tasks as less as possible. Also if you have many threads/cores available.
    - Play with your PC offline.
    - Don't use tasks which access the GPU directly, like frame-recorder or similiar. Also don't use gfx 'helpers' like eg. Nvidia Geforce Experience, AMD Gaming Evolved App. (Raptr), Steam-Overlay.

3. Beiträge anzeigen #3 Zitieren
    Moderator Avatar von MadFaTal

MadFaTal ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Johnny99 Beitrag anzeigen
    Hey guys. Is there a way to mitigate FPS drops in Gothic 3? I'm using Community Patch 1.75 (GOG.com version) + 4GB Patch. My system is: Ryzen 3 1300X, GTX 1060, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 64-bit. All drivers are up-to-date and the game, including the savegame folder are on an SSD.
    Welcome to WorldOfGothic Johnny99.

Gothic3 uses only 1 single CPU core and single CPU core performance is not the best of your CPU.
    But even much more powerfull CPUs are not able to prevent frame drops in Gothic3. It's the "bad" engine of Gothic3.

With a SSD you can mitigate it a little by optimize the game data via G3CU.
    The manual is only in german but you can find a quick guide here.

4. Beiträge anzeigen #4 Zitieren
    Apprentice

Johnny99 ist offline
    Sigh, nothing worked... even tried the font fix, but nothing. Looks like this game is just not made for me performance-wise.

5. Beiträge anzeigen #5 Zitieren
    Schwertmeister

BilboBeutlin ist offline
    hmm .. but at least G3 should run on your system halfways smooth in moderate/medium settings. I'd guess with ~30-40 fps if there are not too many animated objects in view.

Another point you can try: the G3 internal "adaptive Vsync". Some users reported, G3 runs better with "OFF", others with "ON".
    I'd recommand "OFF" and set "adaptive Vsync" in the gfx driver.

Look also into your gfx driver settings. The community patch team has remarked "the nvidia and ati/amd driver profile causes problems and shouldn't be used".
    I recommand to set in the profile "gothic3.exe" all to "global settings".
    And in your global settings use espec.
    - energy options -> max. performance
    - shader cache "off" (since G3 uses its own)
    - triple buffer "on"

Look also into Windows settings "energy options". They should be also set to "max. performance".

You should observe the gfx driver and Windows settings from time to time, since they might be resetted by an update.

6. Beiträge anzeigen #6 Zitieren
    Apprentice

Johnny99 ist offline
    Nah, didn't help it anyhow either. This game can't be helped, I see that now.

7. Beiträge anzeigen #7 Zitieren
    Apprentice

Johnny99 ist offline
    Guys I have a problem, I can't understand how to use the Gothic 3 Cleanup Tool. I've created two folders: a data folder and a work folder. In the data folder I have copied the files from Gothic 3/Data, and the work folder serves as the empty work folder where the optimized files are put. But for some reason, the optimized files look like this (see attachment). They have .pak extensions but typical folder icons (instead of the white sheet icons of the original files located in the data folder) and when I copy them over to the Gothic 3 folder the game fails to start. What did I do wrong?
    Miniaturansichten angehängter Grafiken Miniaturansichten angehängter Grafiken Snímka obrazovky (32).png  

8. Beiträge anzeigen #8 Zitieren
    Springshield  Avatar von Homerclon

Homerclon ist offline
    Copy the data back from the G3Data folder.
    The Files in the g3work folder, you dont need anymore.

- Keine verdammte Hechtrolle zum ausweichen in Kämpfe!
    - 01100100 00100111 01101111 01101000 00100001

9. Beiträge anzeigen #9 Zitieren
    Moderator Avatar von MadFaTal

MadFaTal ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Johnny99 Beitrag anzeigen
    I've created two folders: a data folder and a work folder. In the data folder I have copied the files from Gothic 3/Data, and the work folder serves as the empty work folder where the optimized files are put. But for some reason, the optimized files look like this (see attachment). They have .pak extensions but typical folder icons (instead of the white sheet icons of the original files located in the data folder) and when I copy them over to the Gothic 3 folder the game fails to start. What did I do wrong?
    See step 8.) in the quick guide.

Ignore the folders in the work folder. After optimiziation you can delete the work folder.

After optimiziation you will find new (optimizied) files in data folder which you must copy/move to Gothic3/Data.

10. Beiträge anzeigen #10 Zitieren
    Apprentice

Johnny99 ist offline
    Thank you both for the replies, I managed to get it working. What is your opinion, is this performance okay (also included a FPS counter)? https://streamable.com/xxu23

11. Beiträge anzeigen #11 Zitieren
    Schwertmeister

BilboBeutlin ist offline
    Why do you ask? Do you expext more?
    What I saw, looks quite good. Just in quick turning view G3 tends to stutter.
    G3 is developed before 2005 - you'll never get a performance like the actual games.
    Obviously you have activated "adaptive Vsync" anywhere. Then the framerate never goes above your monitor refresh rate.
    I'd assume without ad. Vsync the framerate could be higher in general.

12. Beiträge anzeigen #12 Zitieren
    Apprentice

Johnny99 ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von BilboBeutlin Beitrag anzeigen
    Why do you ask? Do you expext more?
    What I saw, looks quite good. Just in quick turning view G3 tends to stutter.
    G3 is developed before 2005 - you'll never get a performance like the actual games.
    Obviously you have activated "adaptive Vsync" anywhere. Then the framerate never goes above your monitor refresh rate.
    I'd assume without ad. Vsync the framerate could be higher in general.
    I just wanted to know if this is how it should run and/or if it is similar to how G3 runs for you/other players. I don't have a problem with it.

13. Beiträge anzeigen #13 Zitieren
    Apprentice

Johnny99 ist offline
    Anybody having performance issues in Geldern? In some areas I get heavy FPS drops. Other areas are fine.

14. Beiträge anzeigen #14 Zitieren
    Schwertmeister

BilboBeutlin ist offline
    *sigh*
    yes - you'll often experience fps drops. More or less heavy.
    Around Geldern is also known.
    Do you remember what I said earlier: the more animated objects in range, the lower the framerate. Go to Silden, within a bison herd you'll get a dia show (nearly).
    Also around the map sectors boundaries, due to heavy loading datas.

I have a CPU upto 4,5 GHz - but under some circumstances the framerate is also falling back to 30 fps or less.

15. Beiträge anzeigen #15 Zitieren
    Apprentice

Johnny99 ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von BilboBeutlin Beitrag anzeigen
    *sigh*
    yes - you'll often experience fps drops. More or less heavy.
    Around Geldern is also known.
    Do you remember what I said earlier: the more animated objects in range, the lower the framerate. Go to Silden, within a bison herd you'll get a dia show (nearly).
    Also around the map sectors boundaries, due to heavy loading datas.

I have a CPU upto 4,5 GHz - but under some circumstances the framerate is also falling back to 30 fps or less.
    Well, sorry for bothering you. Geez.