Portal-Zone Gothic-Zone Gothic II-Zone Gothic 3-Zone Gothic 4-Zone Modifikationen-Zone Download-Zone Foren-Zone RPG-Zone Almanach-Zone Spirit of Gothic

Ergebnis 1 bis 6 von 6
  1. Beiträge anzeigen #1 Zitieren
    Local Hero Avatar von Darksword

Darksword ist offline

Torlof as ship's captain - is this an immoral choice? Spoiler

So here I am in Chapter 5 and have just had a big shock. Though I did play right through the game once before, I must have missed the whole Torlof as ship's captain thing. Maybe because I played as a Paladin.

Now I am a mercenary, but even so opening the Castle gate to let the orcs in seems a terrible thing to do.

I guess this is a chance for exp that I am just going to refuse.

I've had a quick look at previous posts, but only one player remarked on the morality of this action. What do the Forum Folk think?
    "All that matters is Strength." (Mercenary who hangs out in Onar's house)

Healing potions: the case for addiction (Book title in Divine Divinity)

"I've seen better times. Too little to live on, too much to die." (Farim, Gothic II Night of the Raven)

2. Beiträge anzeigen #2 Zitieren
    Mauschelheld  Avatar von Zephir

Zephir ist offline
    I've played the mercenary route myself just recently and when it was time to choose my captain, I did what I always do: I ignored Torlof and looked for someone else.

I think I've opened the gates once to see what happens, but I've no interest in doing that a second time. It's not only the morality of the action, but something like this just doesn't fit the character of Nameless at all. He's not above doing questionable things if it's for the greater good, but in this case there are alternative options, so there is no good reason to go for a bloodbath.

By the way, I'm a bit surprised that you've played through the game only once. I'd assumed you'd be at a dozen play-throughs by now.

3. Beiträge anzeigen #3 Zitieren
    Ritter Avatar von Emanuel Rhobar

Emanuel Rhobar ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Zephir Beitrag anzeigen
    I've played the mercenary route myself just recently and when it was time to choose my captain, I did what I always do: I ignored Torlof and looked for someone else.

I think I've opened the gates once to see what happens, but I've no interest in doing that a second time. It's not only the morality of the action, but something like this just doesn't fit the character of Nameless at all. He's not above doing questionable things if it's for the greater good, but in this case there are alternative options, so there is no good reason to go for a bloodbath.

By the way, I'm a bit surprised that you've played through the game only once. I'd assumed you'd be at a dozen play-throughs by now.

wait.. why did Torlof want the hero to open the gate in the first place?
    Why would he want that?

4. Beiträge anzeigen #4 Zitieren
    Ehrengarde Avatar von Nymphicus

Nymphicus ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Emanuel Rhobar Beitrag anzeigen
    wait.. why did Torlof want the hero to open the gate in the first place?
    Why would he want that?
    So that Hagen will take his troops and head into the old colony to support Garond, leaving the town pretty much undefended. Probably also hoping that Hagen will get slaughtered by the Orcs as well
    Little bit weird considering the fact that Torlof is just gonna leave his own men behind but... that's what he wants.

To answer Darkswords question: Definitely an immoral move no matter which side you choose, Zephir already phrased it perfectly.
    I still open the gate pretty much every time after killing off all of the soldiers and knights beforehand because I'm that much of an exp-hound.

5. Beiträge anzeigen #5 Zitieren
    Local Hero Avatar von Darksword

Darksword ist offline

Absolutely right. Just what I feel. Pity about the exp though. But seeing that I'm currently Level 48, wanting more exp is just greedy, really

I've played ch 1 (with which I always include Jharkendar) more times than I can count, and ch2 and 3 a lot of times, partly because of trying to do it absolutely perfectly, getting everything possible, and partly because of hard drive failures and once because I mysteriously lost 3% of two-handed skill, and felt more comfortable restarting than editing my stats.
    "All that matters is Strength." (Mercenary who hangs out in Onar's house)

Healing potions: the case for addiction (Book title in Divine Divinity)

"I've seen better times. Too little to live on, too much to die." (Farim, Gothic II Night of the Raven)

6. Beiträge anzeigen #6 Zitieren
    Abenteurer

dorfbengelchen ist offline
    One of the reason why i probably learned to love Gothic (contrarily to all other RPG which i never played) was the somehow ironic perspective of the game's hero to the world around him.
    He is (and even more is his master Xardas) an outsider. He is somehow a very idealist since his only strive is to save the world of dangers, instead of pursuing ordinary people's aims in live.

But he always does this from an outsider's perspective, not really involved with the matters of the people around him. This is why he can be in mercenary's costume or in a paladin's or mage's - he is never a mercenary or a paladin or a mage like the others. He does not believe in their animosities or wars with each other.
    Think back why the story lets him become a paladin, mage or mercenary: since his fatherly advisors tell him that he needs to join an influential guild that has entry to the deciders, allowing him to have, too.

And this is why he can find friends from the factions (or nations or parties - whatever people divide in the world) and pursue a common plan with their aid. Which the other ones cannot, stick to their ideologies and loyalties.

It just does not fit to his character to take a position in the war that Torlof - a serious bitter fanatic - leads. He does not shed blood in crusades, he only does the few bad that cannot be avoided.

Thus, i let him knock down aversaries, but not kill them (if the game does not do it unwantedly, like Sylvio in the ice dragon chapter).