Portal-Zone Gothic-Zone Gothic II-Zone Gothic 3-Zone Gothic 4-Zone Modifikationen-Zone Download-Zone Foren-Zone RPG-Zone Almanach-Zone Spirit of Gothic

Ergebnis 1 bis 7 von 7
  1. Beiträge anzeigen #1 Zitieren
    Local Hero Avatar von Darksword

Darksword ist offline

the crawler armour: isn't the 15 fire protection worth having?

I've been reading online discussions about the crawler armour. Everyone says it's not worth bothering with.

I'm considering getting it in Ch2. I've finished Jharkendar and done about 2/3 of Valley of Mines.

Mondgesaenge says the crawler plate armour offers the same weapon and missile protection as Raven's Guard armour, plus 15 protection against fire which none of the armours available in Ch2 do. It seems to me that this would be great for fire lizards.

I'm currently Level 29 mercenary, and I think I can spare the 3 LP to learn crawler plate skill.

Am I missing something? Why does everyone advise against getting this armour?

I'd be very grateful for the Forum's wise thoughts on this. Thank you.
    "All that matters is Strength." (Mercenary who hangs out in Onar's house)

Healing potions: the case for addiction (Book title in Divine Divinity)

"I've seen better times. Too little to live on, too much to die." (Farim, Gothic II Night of the Raven)

2. Beiträge anzeigen #2 Zitieren
    Mauschelheld  Avatar von Zephir

Zephir ist offline
    It depends on how you want to play on from there. Once you're far enough into the game to get the Crawler Armour, you probably aren't that far away from reaching Chapter 3. And in Chapter 3 you can easily get even better armour (after rescuing Bennet).

So if you intended to stay in Chapter 2 for a while longer, then the Crawler armour could very well be worth it. But since it seems you already own the armour of Raven's Guard and are close to Chapter 3, it doesn't seem like a worthwhile investment to me. But that, of course, is your decision alone.
    Geändert von Zephir (23.10.2017 um 11:15 Uhr)

3. Beiträge anzeigen #3 Zitieren

Darksword ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Zephir Beitrag anzeigen
    It depends on how you want to play on from there. Once you're far enough into the game to get the Crawler Armour, you probably aren't that far away from reaching Chapter 3. And in Chapter 3 you can easily get even better armour (after rescuing Bennet).

So if you intended to stay in Chapter 2 for a while longer, then the Crawler armour could very well be worth it.
    Thank you, Zephir, you make some good points. I am indeed close to triggering Ch 3. What I want to do before triggering it, though, is improve my two-handed fighting skill which is currently 64%. One more level before Ch 3 would be nice to have. I thought the fire lizards in Jharkendar and Valley of Mines would make a nice contribution to this.

But I may be deluding myself that enough monsters are still around to get me that extra level.

Many thanks for the reply.

"I've seen better times. Too little to live on, too much to die." (Farim, Gothic II Night of the Raven)

4. Beiträge anzeigen #4 Zitieren
    Mauschelheld  Avatar von Zephir

Zephir ist offline
    Have you read any stone tablets yet? There are enough of those out there to give you +20% skill in two-handed fighting. Lutero sells a book for another +5% and the best swords you can smith yourself give a boost of +10%.

You probably don't need much more fighting skill, is what I'm trying to say.

5. Beiträge anzeigen #5 Zitieren
    Dreigestirn Avatar von Arkain

Arkain ist offline
    It can be worth it if you're planning to stay in chapter 2 for some time and aren't milita (as you can just buy the heavy militia armor then). Not a huge fan myself, but I sometimes get it just for the sake of collecting.
    I wouldn't get it in your place, since you're basically too advanced in terms of plot already. Also, don't overestimate 15 protection against fire lizards. Their damage fluctuates wildly and while protection helps, you'll probably need something around 40 to be somewhat safe. As usual the rule is: don't get hit in the first place. I'd consider taking them out with water and ice magic, since they're vulnerable to that.

6. Beiträge anzeigen #6 Zitieren

Darksword ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Zephir Beitrag anzeigen
    Have you read any stone tablets yet? There are enough of those out there to give you +20% skill in two-handed fighting. Lutero sells a book for another +5% and the best swords you can smith yourself give a boost of +10%.

You probably don't need much more fighting skill, is what I'm trying to say.
    I have the stone tablets and the book, but don't plan to use them until I've trained two-handed to 75%, so I end up with 100% no matter what weapon I use. I do plan to use the swords you mention but they're available only quite late in the game. Right now I'm using a Heavy Two-Hander and it's serving me well. I plan to get Stormbringer in Ch 3.

Every time I've played Ch 2 and 3 before I've used Dragon Slicer, as I train STR as high as I can in Ch 1. But Dragon Slicer only has a reach of 120 and I'm thinking of playing without it this time around.

I could get and use it right now as my STR is currently 177. I trained it to 84% or maybe a bit less, I can't remember. Thereafter I used all the boosts, except only 8 STR potions so far, and every evening I visit Onar's farm, partly to get my 60gp pay, and partly to duel with
    Spoiler:(zum lesen bitte Text markieren)
    Sentenza to get apples
    and discuss
    weapons with Khaled in order to get apples. I have had a lot of apple boosts as I am now in game day 71 I think.
    I know this is not the way a real purist would play, but I decided this time around to use whatever was available.

It's kind of weird, I know, but I like having a nightly routine - I get soup from Edda as well, sell any loot and skins to Bosper, and drop in to Coragon's Tavern to fry any raw meat. Before i join a guild, I also get stew from Hilda. As you can tell, I don't mind running around the countryside, it gives me a good chance to drink a lot of coffee

7. Beiträge anzeigen #7 Zitieren

Darksword ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Arkain Beitrag anzeigen
    It can be worth it if you're planning to stay in chapter 2 for some time and aren't milita (as you can just buy the heavy militia armor then). Not a huge fan myself, but I sometimes get it just for the sake of collecting.
    I wouldn't get it in your place, since you're basically too advanced in terms of plot already. Also, don't overestimate 15 protection against fire lizards. Their damage fluctuates wildly and while protection helps, you'll probably need something around 40 to be somewhat safe. As usual the rule is: don't get hit in the first place. I'd consider taking them out with water and ice magic, since they're vulnerable to that.
    Thanks, Arkhain, I am planning to stay in Ch 2 for a while still, I haven't been to the ice area of Valley of Mines, and I haven't taken out any Trolls at all so far except the one
    at Quarhodron's Tomb.
    I hate fighting Trolls, my fingers are so slow I really struggle to keep running close enough to the horrible hairy beasts.

I saved a keeper game and then went and got the Crawler Armour. I then went up to the Mayan Pyramids and tried it out on the fire lizards there. I also wore a Fire Amulet, Belt of the Firewalker, and two rings with fire protection. I had 43 fire protection. Anyway, I took them out fairly easily toe to toe, so I think for me, with my slow and clumsy fingers, it was worth it. I plan to go to Jharkendar now for those fire lizards and then back to Valley of Mines. I have some Ice Arrow scrolls and Ice Lance scrolls to soften them up with, thanks for the tip.

It's kind of cool to have the armour, I'm not a big fan of the Raven's Guard outfit, and at least with the Crawler Armour NPCs don't attack me on sight, which is great as I tend to forget to change.

I find I still have to change into mercenary armour in order to talk to other mercenaries though, which I stupidly hadn't expected.

Geändert von Darksword (25.10.2017 um 12:54 Uhr) Grund: to update information