Portal-Zone Gothic-Zone Gothic II-Zone Gothic 3-Zone Gothic 4-Zone Modifikationen-Zone Download-Zone Foren-Zone RPG-Zone Almanach-Zone Spirit of Gothic

Ergebnis 1 bis 4 von 4
  1. Beiträge anzeigen #1 Zitieren
    Local Hero Avatar von Darksword

Darksword ist offline

The question of Reach with two-handed melee weapons

I'm playing the early game for the 9th time now, this time because my old computer died. I am following my theory of boosting weapon skill to 34 and then concentrating on strength for a while, to be able to use better weapons.

So, I'm level 13 with 70 strength, boosted with items to 88. My two-handed skill is 34.

I have
    Spoiler:(zum lesen bitte Text markieren)
    Ulthar's wand, damage 70, reach 120
    and tried to take out the shadowbeast
    near the Lighthouse
    . I could not, died 4 times.
    So I decided to try a weapon with a longer reach. So from my inventory I equipped a rough two-hander, damage 60 reach 130, and attacked again and took the shadowbeast out first try with not too much damage myself.

I really do believe that for someone like me - someone who does not have the reflexes of a concert pianist, hence is rotten at dodging and parrying, but is able to swing a weapon right and left well and consistently - reach is a very real factor in playing NotR when one is going up against monsters that are maybe right on the edge of possibility at a comparatively low level.

I know this view is controversial. But I offer this little experiment of mine for what it's worth in case there are others out there who don't have the quickest fingers in the world but who do like the thrill of going toe-to-toe with monsters.
    "All that matters is Strength." (Mercenary who hangs out in Onar's house)

Healing potions: the case for addiction (Book title in Divine Divinity)

"I've seen better times. Too little to live on, too much to die." (Farim, Gothic II Night of the Raven)

2. Beiträge anzeigen #2 Zitieren
    Mauschelheld  Avatar von Zephir

Zephir ist offline
    There is certainly nothing wrong with your approach. I must know, because it's my approach as well.

I don't think that's controversial at all. Lots of left and right swinging with a two-handed weapon with long reach is very effective against most enemies. Some monsters are extremely easy to keep at a distance like that, especially minecrawlers. Shadowbeasts are a bit more difficult to deal with, due to their quick attacks. And the fact that they will rip you to shreds if you mess up even once certainly doesn't help to keep your fingers calm and steady.

3. Beiträge anzeigen #3 Zitieren
    Local Hero Avatar von Darksword

Darksword ist offline
    I'm now at the start of Ch 4, and returned to Jharkendar, specifically the Swamp.
    Lots of Swamp Golems.

In my inventory I have
    Dragonslicer, damage 190, reach 120
    Stormbringer, damage 150, reach 130
    Orcish War Sword, damage 100, reach 140.

Tried all three of them on the
    Swamp Golems.
    The Orc War Sword was the best, because I could swat them without damage to me, took them down in two hits. It was trickier with the other swords because I had to let them get close enough that if I didn't swing quickly enough I took damage. As always, it's a matter of finding out the right tool for the job, which is why I like to have a variety of swords available.
    "All that matters is Strength." (Mercenary who hangs out in Onar's house)

Healing potions: the case for addiction (Book title in Divine Divinity)

"I've seen better times. Too little to live on, too much to die." (Farim, Gothic II Night of the Raven)

4. Beiträge anzeigen #4 Zitieren
    Abenteurer

dorfbengelchen ist offline
    Though the discussion ended some weeks ago, maybe someone might look at it later..

It depends upon the individual behaviour of the opponent. Some beasts are defensive and thus try to avoid being damaged. Those can be intimidated by a long-reach-weapon and will - once hit by the swinging staff/sword - step back.
    Most enemies behave like that, among them humans.

Some beasts tend to act ruthlessly offensively. They attack, no matter how promising the attempt is. And if they unluckily are quick enough to break through, will damage you before they are hit by the "swing-tool".
    Shadowbeasts are the best example.

But shadowbeasts are only as effective as they are, if they have space to launch a jumping attack. If you have a closer look at their behaviour you will find: their attack is kind of jumping forward towards you.

They have no chance to do so, if there is no space for them to jump forward.

In the quest of cleaning the northern beaches of the pirate camp, i use to take the opportunity of being given the potion by the rum distiller that increases your speed (in this first time even for free ^^). Being so fast i can charge into the hole and attack the shadowbeast almost asleep before it can come towards me. The first hits will drive it back to the wall to make sure there is no space for jumping forward and retreat, literally "nailed to the wall".

And than it can be attacked just as any other enemy by the swinging.

Golems are - despite of their size - some of the most easy enemies. When they attack just make some side steps - they react very, very slowly - and hit them from the side. The same tactics the little goblins use towards you