Seite 2 von 2 « Erste 12
Ergebnis 21 bis 40 von 40
  1. #21 Zitieren
    Adventurer
    Anyone found a pickaxe yet? I have the skill to mine, but can't without one lol
    DABhand ist offline

2. #22 Zitieren
    Warrior Avatar von The Ore Baron
    World design is... pure cancer It's the same old Gothic 3 formula of vast stretches of nothing trying to present itself as an interesting open world, but unlike Gothic 3, even the towns seems to have been needlessly stretched in all directions. There are still too few NPCs and too few buildings (same issue as every PB game post G2). There are no landmarks, no memorable geographical formations. Exploring such a world can be immersive in a way, I'll give it that, but I find it to be quite a bore for the most part. I was always a fan of the condensed world design, which G1/2 and the Risen titles are known for. Those maps were memorable, and I can still find my way around them without the use of a map. ELEX so far has been all about running towards the next quest marker over absolutely unmemorable and generic plains and ruins, and the fact that the radar does't even show the map, instead simply featuring red dots for enemies one could easily see without it, makes it a pretty much useless addition to the HUD.

The entire GUI is very bland and unimaginative. Unlike the Gothic titles and the first Risen game, in which inventory would only take up a small space of the screen, ELEX shoves it's inventory menu all over the screen. The variety of items is still there, but they're all represented by very simplistic white icons. One thing Risen 2/3 did right was the inclusion of the front view of the character model in the menu screens, making it easy to see how equipment looks on the character; no such luxury in ELEX, sadly. The lack of numerical representation of various stats, such as health, experience and 'Cold' is also a poor design choice.

I like the voice acting for the most part, and I welcome the new combat system, despite the fact that stamina regeneration is painfully slow. Character models are quite disgusting to look at, a vast step-down from faces in Risen 3, and texture issues are abound. The soundtrack is barely there, but when it is audible, it is pleasant and fitting for the most part.

At the very the least, I enjoy the writing so far, which was my main complaint about Gothic 3 and Risen 2/3. The plot is interesting, the setting is well-developed, even if a little on-the-nose sometimes. I particularly enjoy the interesting take on the karma system, measuring not how good or bad you are, but rather how emotional, and thus 'humane' your character is. Not sure what it affects yet, but I have to admit it's quite an original idea.

All things considered, not a bad game by any means, but a step in the wrong direction world-design wise. It's quite a massive game in its sheer scale, and the few days off work I took won't be enough to finish the game properly. I'll probably continue my adventures in ELEX in the summer, as it's not really the sort of a game you sit down to for a few hours after your return home from work. Until then, I hope you all have major fun with the game
    The Ore Baron ist offline Geändert von The Ore Baron (18.10.2017 um 14:03 Uhr)

3. #23 Zitieren
    Apprentice Avatar von kozzy
    Zitat Zitat von DABhand Beitrag anzeigen
    Anyone found a pickaxe yet? I have the skill to mine, but can't without one lol
    I have! I searched everywhere possible in that first city and eventually found one lol. I can't remember the exact spot as I checked every single area I could possibly find lol. keep looking and you will find one!
    kozzy ist offline

4. #24 Zitieren
    Zitat Zitat von The Ore Baron Beitrag anzeigen
    World design is... pure cancer It's the same old Gothic 3 formula of vast stretches of nothing trying to present itself as an interesting open world, but unlike Gothic 3, even the towns seems to have been needlessly stretched in all directions. There are still too few NPCs and too few buildings (same issue as every PB game post G2). There are no landmarks, no memorable geographical formations. Exploring such a world can be immersive in a way, I'll give it that, but I find it to be quite a bore for the most part. I was always a fan of the condensed world design, which G1/2 and the Risen titles are known for. Those maps were memorable, and I can still find my way around them without the use of a map. ELEX so far has been all about running towards the next quest marker over absolutely unmemorable and generic plains and ruins, and the fact that the radar does't even show the map, instead simply featuring red dots for enemies one could easily see without it, makes it a pretty much useless addition to the HUD.

The entire GUI is very bland and unimaginative. Unlike the Gothic titles and the first Risen game, in which inventory would only take up a small space of the screen, ELEX shoves it's inventory menu all over the screen. The variety of items is still there, but they're all represented by very simplistic white icons. One thing Risen 2/3 did right was the inclusion of the front view of the character model in the menu screens, making it easy to see how equipment looks on the character; no such luxury in ELEX, sadly. The lack of numerical representation of various stats, such as health, experience and 'Cold' is also a poor design choice.

I like the voice acting for the most part, and I welcome the new combat system, despite the fact that stamina regeneration is painfully slow. Character models are quite disgusting to look at, a vast step-down from faces in Risen 3, and texture issues are abound. The soundtrack is barely there, but when it is audible, it is pleasant and fitting for the most part.

At the very the least, I enjoy the writing so far, which was my main complaint about Gothic 3 and Risen 2/3. The plot is interesting, the setting is well-developed, even if a little on-the-nose sometimes. I particularly enjoy the interesting take on the karma system, measuring not how good or bad you are, but rather how emotional, and thus 'humane' your character is. Not sure what it affects yet, but I have to admit it's quite an original idea.

All things considered, not a bad game by any means, but a step in the wrong direction world-design wise. It's quite a massive game in its sheer scale, and the few days off work I took won't be enough to finish the game properly. I'll probably continue my adventures in ELEX in the summer, as it's not really the sort of a game you sit down to for a few hours after your return home from work. Until then, I hope you all have major fun with the game
    First off great post!

While I can't agree with you at all on the world building, it is my favorite from Pb since Risen 1/Gothic 3's game worlds.

I must say i agree 100% with this that you posted! I love what they have done with this aspect

"I particularly enjoy the interesting take on the karma system, measuring not how good or bad you are, but rather how emotional, and thus 'humane' your character is."

Well put!
    kozzy ist offline

5. #25 Zitieren
    Warrior Avatar von Morgannin09
    I like that the personality system has an impact on some available skills without gating too much of it, but it doesn't really make sense. "Stronger melee damage for being neutral." What the hell is the correlation between those things? Oh well, it's a nice start at least.
    YouTube channel for Let's Plays and shenanigans: https://www.youtube.com/c/Morgannin
    Morgannin09 ist offline

6. #26 Zitieren
    Adventurer
    Zitat Zitat von kozzy Beitrag anzeigen
    I have! I searched everywhere possible in that first city and eventually found one lol. I can't remember the exact spot as I checked every single area I could possibly find lol. keep looking and you will find one!
    I found one in the pit, it is a Jackhammer, and I passed by this countless time because not thinking it was a pickaxe of sorts.
    DABhand ist offline

7. #27 Zitieren
    So tell me, guys, what are you first impressions so far?

While I had already decided to postpone the game until I'll have some more time, curiosity got the better of me, and I played a little more of it

Some more complaints I have:
    * From what I gathered so far, it seems like the faction choice limits the available weapon choices, which kind of sucks from a role-playing perspective, but at least there is some in-lore explanation for that.
    * The fighting system is alright, at least once you've found a proper weapon and increased your stamina. I like the theory of it, but it sometimes works quite iffy in practice. Back-stepping monsters made a return, and so did their stun-locking abilities. So far, going in circles around the enemy seems like the best tactic, but it's not particularly viable when fighting multiple enemies. I've been using the jetpack as a strategic retreat into the air, while waiting for my stamina to recharge, but it sort of feels like I'm cheating that way, and not at all how fights should normally go. Speaking of cheating, using a companion seems to trivialize many of the encounters with enemies, even stronger ones; I prefer not to use them, if possible.
    * Like Morgannin has already mentioned, some skill restrictions are pretty redundant.
    * Based on the achievement list, the game includes a romance system/mechanic. I believe it's quite unnecessary, and PB is not really known for well-written female characters, so I'm having doubts if the available girls are at all appealing, and just how in-depth the system is in general.
    * Early-game grinding seems to be very limited, because even the starting area is full of hard to beat monsters (that's where companions may be useful, but it's no fun relying on NPCs to do your job), and ones you can beat give very little experience. You need to grind for experience if you want to unlock the social skills, which are needed for several dialogue checks, some of them presented quite early, which you don't want to miss out on. That's not how I like to enjoy my video games, but maybe it's appealing to someone else.
    * Again, and I will surely bring this up again in the future, or at least until I'm refuted: to hell with this empty open world stuff. It's such a chore to explore systematically. At least the map has a grid pattern, so it's possible to explore it grid by grid, which still sucks, because there are so few natural barriers or memorable landmarks in the game. I will never memorize this world, and I feel no inclination to even try. Seems to me that PB simply jumped the 'le open world' bandwagon and messed it up, just like that time when they attempted to kill Oblivion with Gothic 3, which also featured an empty and boring open world. With the Risen games having much more detailed and hand-craft world designed, I considered that to be a lesson well-learned by PB, but it seems I was wrong...
    * Likely as a result of the previous point, the quest system does not look like it's usable without the radar. Spoken and written directions are quite vague, and with a world so barren of any distinct geographical marks, finding the quest objective may prove quite hard. Apart from the quest objective marker, the radar is absolutely useless, and I'm very much tempted to turn it off, but that would likely result in me not knowing where to go. I haven't finished enough quests to confirm that this is an issue, it's just an impression I got so far. Maybe some of you have tried playing the game with the radar turned off?
    * In the end of the day, the factions are rather boring, when you think about it. They're just a mash-up of all the popular tropes - a medieval faction, a sci-fi faction (two of them, if you count the Albs), and a post-apocalyptic (Mad Max) faction. While it's interesting to see them all battle it out for world dominance, these factions can hardly hold a candle to the more original factions of Gothic's camps or Risen's voodoo pirates versus Spanish conquistadors, which, while also based on tropes, were presented with enough of a unique take.

I wish I could say something nice about this game, but nothing comes to mind right now. Everything is either bad, or just average, and thus not worth talking about. The vegetation graphics are nice, I guess?..
    I could also complain about the poor quality of character models and animations, but these are issues which I am willing to tolerate, unlike the ones listed above.
    I'm very much on the fence about the writing. Some of the lore stuff is pretty cool, and I like what PB did with the aforementioned tropes of the factions, yet some of the dialogues are just cringe-worthy, and the voice acting of non-main characters is equally lacking
    And I still hate the bland-looking GUI, which not only looks boring, but is also needlessly large.

All things considered, I am so far under the impression that PB tried to implement way too many now-popular video game trends and mechanics into Elex, but did not do it very well. A shame, really. I was hoping Elex would finally be an example of PB doing their own thing, not under heavy influence of the current industry standards. Then again, it's THQ Nordic we're talking about here, so maybe that was to be expected.
    Some of these popular trends, specifically: romance system, heavy use of cliched fiction tropes in writing, a superficial karma system (albeit with an interesting twist, admittedly), and a vast and empty world design (gotta artificially prolong that gametime somehow, I guess).

Alright, I've had enough of Elex for now - for real this time Come summer, I'll play this game proper, and see if all these early complaints will prove true, or will the game make me change my mind about it, and I sure hope it will. The aforementioned complaints are only my early observations.
    All this time I was under a very wrong impression that this game would be quite small-scale, not unlike the Risen titles, or even the original Gothic games, which could easily be completed comprehensively in a dedicated week-long session of gaming a binging on snacks; but with a map size that big, and early game grinding being so overtly complicated, Elex seems like a very time-consuming undertaking, to which I am currently unable to dedicate myself. A shame, really, but I'm not blaming anyone

Very interested to hear from you, guys. How's the game been treating you?
    The Ore Baron ist offline Geändert von The Ore Baron (19.10.2017 um 04:28 Uhr)

8. #28 Zitieren
    Adventurer
    For me the game is very good so far, the animations from falling etc can do with a bit more work to be honest, and perhaps a bit more front thrust on the jetpac to go forward a bit more. Music needs to be turned down a bit. Player textures need to be a bit more refined.

One major problem I have from the game, I bought from GOG.com, is the Ignadon crash, it just randomly crashes when I get near the town. Everywhere else seems to be fine though.

The combat is similar to Gothic 2, where you need to learn when to press for the next combo action otherwise you stand there like a fool doing nothing for a second.

However wish they would help show unselected missions to show on the map as a faint outline to distinquish them from the main quest you are tracking, I like to do multiple things while doing a mission, and it would help rather than constantly tracking each quest to see which is nearest, as you have to continually press L to select a new one to track.

Also some map markers to point out what specific places are would be nice, took me a long time to find The Pit for example.
    DABhand ist offline

9. #29 Zitieren
    Ranger Avatar von Grimmwulf
    I'm extremely pleased with ELEX so far, though I've barely started exploring the areas around Goliet. That's all you're getting from me for now, because I need to resume playing.
    Das war's mit dir, du Mistvieh!
    Verdammte Enten!
    Grimmwulf ist offline

10. #30 Zitieren
    Also some map markers to point out what specific places are would be nice, took me a long time to find The Pit for example.
    You can open your quest log and choose to mark the quest location (in this case the Pit) on your map.
    Verdammte Enten!
    Grimmwulf ist offline

11. #31 Zitieren
    Adventurer
    Zitat Zitat von Grimmwulf Beitrag anzeigen
    You can open your quest log and choose to mark the quest location (in this case the Pit) on your map.
    I know about that, but nothing shows where the Pit is, I just had to come across it, when I was looking for U4.
    DABhand ist offline

12. #32 Zitieren
    I know about that, but nothing shows where the Pit is, I just had to come across it, when I was looking for U4.
    Ok, I received a quest to retrieve a motion detector from the Pit early on.
    Verdammte Enten!
    Grimmwulf ist offline

13. #33 Zitieren
    Warrior Avatar von Morgannin09
    I can see that this kind of has the Gothic 3 problem of being able to complete quests before actually getting them, and the log giving you no idea who you were even supposed to get it from. I stumbled upon that motion detector on my own and completed the quest, and all I got was a completed log that said "I was asked to find a motion detector from the Pit."
    YouTube channel for Let's Plays and shenanigans: https://www.youtube.com/c/Morgannin
    Morgannin09 ist offline

14. #34 Zitieren
    Adventurer
    After a long period of play, I am finally in Chapter 2 lol

I was focusing in getting to Paladin rank, that I forgot about the main questline.

I was wondering maybe we should start a thread about locations for map pieces, because I finally found my home camp and sorted out my fancy room etc, and in the room is a puzzle board to put the map pieces you collect.
    DABhand ist offline

15. #35 Zitieren
    Ranger Avatar von MrOysterhead
    After a long period of play, I am finally in Chapter 2 lol

I was focusing in getting to Paladin rank, that I forgot about the main questline.

I was wondering maybe we should start a thread about locations for map pieces, because I finally found my home camp and sorted out my fancy room etc, and in the room is a puzzle board to put the map pieces you collect.
    Ohhh, that's what the board is for, I didn't have any pieces yet, when I first tried to interact with it, awesome!
    MrOysterhead ist offline

16. #36 Zitieren
    Abenteurer Avatar von orc_dog
    I like ELEX a lot.
    Ofcourse there are problems but this game have PB spark what makes you want to play it(greater than the sum of its parts)
    World design is ok and in this game i like BIG world, not their best map but still ok.
    Graphics/animations are ok, not something special but definetly not ugly. Dont need 1337 pc to run(im sure some remember buggy mess what was called Gothic 3 and it didnt run[release at least] any system[yeah later it fixed]). So far havent seen big bugs.
    Fighting is not so bad if you get use to it and have better weapons.
    Sound is pretty bad, music forgettabe.
    Story is good so far, still chapter 1 and i just wander around mostly and make few quests now and then.
    Before playing game magic/tech mix was strange and something they could mess up easily but actually its good, same with jetpack, its really fun thing.
    Game starts slowly, especially higher difficulties and i see why some think its crap.
    Its definetly better than i hoped, not Gothic(II) class stuff but still very enjoyable game.
    My biggest complain at the moment is missing stats screen.
    orc_dog ist offline

17. #37 Zitieren
    Almost 60 hours on the game now and I have been having a real blast. While I don't see it passing Divinity Original Sin 2 for me for my Game Of The Year this year, it is still some of the most fun I have had all year (Other games I liked besides elex and Divinity 2 are Xcom 2 expansion, Prey and Battlegrounds). Now for some of my overall thoughts

Negatives:
    - Crappy Companion AI
    - Animations are not very good, Presentation in general could be better.
    - Once in awhile I get stuck on something (ground, things that are not there,etc..), which is annoying, although the jetpack does help in some of these situations.
    - The lighting looks great many times but when you go into a building or leave a building there is some very weird lighting things going on
    - The UI is not very good, this is one aspect that really could have been improved, I don't need it perfect but the way it is seems a bit meh.

Positives:
    - Love the game world, it has been crafted with so much love. I just love exploring it, there is always something cool to find and I already have some places that I just love coming back to and landmarks I remember (I havn't fell in love with a PB game world this much since Gothic 2's world).
    - Good soundtrack so far overall (Some are great and others are average)
    - Nice challenge early on, you can't fight everything so you have to stay on your toes ala older PB games. I explored so much early on, found tons of stuff, met a bunch of people and factions, all without doing a ton of missions. Now later on in the game I am killing thigns alot easier, it feels like I have earned what I have and can do now in the game. This aspect reminds me alot more of the Gothic games as opposed to the risen games
    - The factions are each pretty different and atleast somewhat unique when compared to the others. I also like some of the people you meet who are not with a faction and seeing how they have been treated by the other factions and how they are surviving on there own,etc..
    - Some charming characters around! Many are meh but there are some characters I really liked meeting (I want to name some of them and explain the things that happened but they might spoil some stuff for people)
    - It is just fun to play, it might not have Divinity Original Sin 2's near perfect combat, but I still have a blast fighting and doing missions and exploring, I have not been bored yet.
    - It runs very, very well! I have yet to go below 60 fps yet which is nice (Most the time it hovers around 70). Sure the game is not the best looking but for a big game world like this and the fact it is PB, it is nice to see it runs very well and I have yet to have any crashes in almost 60 hours of gameplay. Well done PB, this is not a Gothic 3 type release again, it is a huge map but it runs smooth.
    - The numerous ways many missions can be played out/done in different ways is pretty awesome, I have saved the game a few times and tried different ways to go about a mission, quite a decent amount of depth!

Stuff In the Middle:
    - Graphics sometimes look great but other times look like crap.
    - The story, while not bad is not great either. I like some of the dialogue, but then hate other aspects of it. I find some characters very charming and interesting and then shake my head at some others, not that consistent in this regard, very up and down so to speak.

Far from perfect but I have had a blast so far, right now I think it ranks as my 2nd favorite PB game after Gothic 2 (which might never be passed lol). Anyways, just my two cents.. I am sure many disagree
    kozzy ist offline Geändert von kozzy (01.11.2017 um 11:48 Uhr)

18. #38 Zitieren
    Zitat Zitat von Grimmwulf Beitrag anzeigen
    I'm extremely pleased with ELEX so far, though I've barely started exploring the areas around Goliet. That's all you're getting from me for now, because I need to resume playing.
    I just came back to Goliet and noticed some areas I didn't check before lol. I was so into exploring around the map in all directions outside of Goliet, finding other cities, villages, loot, fast travel spots, factions,etc..
    kozzy ist offline

19. #39 Zitieren
    Wow, the hype sure died out quickly
    The Ore Baron ist offline

20. #40 Zitieren
    Zitat Zitat von The Ore Baron Beitrag anzeigen
    Wow, the hype sure died out quickly
    People have probably been busy playing, I know that is the case for me
    kozzy ist offline

Seite 2 von 2 « Erste 12