Umfrageergebnis anzeigen: Which Games did you play? (multiple-choice)

• Gothic

54 98,18%
  • Gothic 2 (Without Addon)

43 78,18%
  • Gothic 2: Night of the Raven

53 96,36%
  • Gothic 3

53 96,36%
  • Risen (PC)

51 92,73%
  • Risen (X360)

3 5,45%
  • Risen 2 : Dark Waters (PC)

42 76,36%
  • Risen 2: Dark Waters (X360)

1 1,82%
  • Risen 2: Dark Waters (PS3)

2 3,64%
  • Risen 3: Titan Lords (PC)

36 65,45%
  • Risen 3: Titan Lords (X360)

0 0%
  • Risen 3: Titan Lords (PS3)

1 1,82%
  • Risen 3: Titan Lords (PS4)

2 3,64%
  • Risen 3: Titan Lords Enhanced Edition (PC)

26 47,27%
Multiple-Choice-Umfrage.  
Teilnehmer
55. Du darfst bei dieser Umfrage nicht abstimmen
Seite 1 von 2 12 Letzte »
Ergebnis 1 bis 20 von 25
  1. #1 Zitieren
    MisterXYZ
    Gast
    Hi,

in the German Elex-Board and the Risen-Board we've had lots of discussions about the missing international success of Piranha Bytes' Games, especially regarding the Gothic-series.

I would be really interesting in your opinion on and your experience with the Gothic - und Risen Games.

Did you play them? Do you like them? What strenghts or weaknesses did you notice about and which differences between the games?

What's you favorite PB-Game so far?

The survey is public.
    Geändert von MisterXYZ (09.06.2017 um 21:05 Uhr)

2. #2 Zitieren
    Demigod Avatar von Dino
    I've played gothic 1, 2 vanilla and notr, 3, and risen 1. But I only chose gothic 1, 2 and g2notr from the poll because I love them. I can't say the same for the rest.

My favorite is gothic 1, although it's a hard choice really. I love the story and how it unfolds itself and I love the character progress and pretty much everything it has to offer.

I feel like notr's story could have been presented better. I don't like how Vatras is a lil' bitch who says "I can't leave town unless you find someone to continue the lecture or whatever". Man, like... the fate of the world rests in your hands. Have Lares oversee the ring of water business while you're gone, and who cares about some lecture -.-
    But in terms of gameplay and overall (technical) quality, I'd say NotR is better and more polished. I also love the idea of the NH wielding both Innos and Beliar artifacts. He's only doing what needs to be done - be it for selfish reasons or because the Gods deemed it so.

I tried gothic 3 a couple of times and I hate it. I truly do hate it.

Risen 1 was a weird experience to me. Parts frustrating, parts exciting because PB made it. It felt like some college project aimed to please the mainstream at the time. It was "just another rpg I guess" to me, and I preferred Skyrim over it.

To wrap this up: I try to play through gothic 1 and gothic 2(notr) at least once a year - sometimes more, if I feel like it. Last year I made a video where I look at gothic 1 from a different perspective: you can watch it here. I first played the game in october of 2003 and since then it has become my favorite game of all times.
    Dino ist offline

3. #3 Zitieren
    MisterXYZ
    Gast
    I do agree with you in most points.

Regarding plausibility and liveliness of the game world, the first Gothic is my favourite. NPCs try to escape when they're too weak in dependence of the heroe's strenght, you can decide whether to kill or not to kill beaten opponents, diggers are calling the guards for help etc.

Regarding crafting features and side quests, Gothic 2: Night of the Raven is the better game.

I love them both, Gothic for plausibility, liveliness, the world, Gothic 2 for more crafting options and more side quests each new chapter.

Gothic 3 (I play with CP and QP) - I don't like it that much, but I don't hate it either. Combat is horrible, the former strenghts of the other two games are weakened but I like the opportunity to get 3 completely different endings.

Risen seems to me like a Gothic-ultra-light, a mix of the weaker parts of the first two Gothics but all in all not that bad, too.

Risen 2 - Dark Waters is the weakest PB-Game in nearly every possible aspect and category. There aren't even real guilds. On the other side, I do still like it more than most comparable games of other developers.

Risen 3 has some improvements compared to Risen 2 (and few compared to first Risen, too) but combat is still as horrible as in Risen 2. There are some aspects about Risen 3 that are good and that have never been before in a Piranha Game (heroe clears cave, reports to Quest-NPC, Quest-NPC marches to leader ingame and reports: "Report: Cave is cleared!") but lots of bad developments compared to the first gothics.

However, mixing the better aspects of Risen and Risen 3 together would have made a quite good game.

Sorted by favour my list may be as followed:

1. Gothic
    2. Gothic 2
    3. Risen, Gothic 3 (+CP/+QP)
    4. Risen 3
    5. Risen 2
    Geändert von MisterXYZ (11.06.2017 um 00:53 Uhr)

4. #4 Zitieren
    Demigod Avatar von Dino
    My frustration with Gothic 3 was because of expectations I had built up and because of technical impossibility to play the game when released.

I was pretty much set to see a gothic 2 with improved graphics - but when the game came out I thought I was playing Oblivion. The gameplay had nothing to do with Gothic 2 NotR, which I felt was as good as it needed to be and as fluent as possible. The voice actors and character models were changed too much - something which wasn't noticed in Gothic 1 > Gothic 2 transition. That disappointed me greatly.

Now the technical issues: At the time, I had been saving my pocket money to upgrade my video card and add a little bit more ram so that I can enjoy the game. I was already able to play Oblivion on medium settings, so why not gothic 3, right? Wrong. The game could barely run on 640x480 and minimum settings. On top of that, it was constantly crashing and freezing. Not to mention the numerous bugs it had at the time. That was in 2006 before any Community Patches came through(which... were there only CPs and never official patches?).

I upgraded my PC in 2009 and tried to play the game then. It was running okay... the patches made it stable, but it didn't feel like Gothic to me. I played for maybe 5 or 6 hours and gave up. I later tried the same thing in 2013 but this time played even less.

The game itself isn't so bad - it feels like such to me because of the expectations I had.
    Dino ist offline

5. #5 Zitieren
    Warrior Avatar von Morgannin09
    I've made my assessments of all the games so many times I just can't be bothered to go in depth anymore, but here's a summary.

Gothic: True diamond in the rough. Broke a lot of ground in terms of questing and just how alive the setting felt, but the combat controls were way too clumsy, the voice acting incredibly silly, and riddled with bugs that could make it hard to endure. But the world seemed impressively large for how small of a footprint it really had

Gothic II: Improved over the first in just so many ways that I will always consider it the best. Fleshing out more mechanics such as crafting and making skills feel more meaningful. Some of these things were made even better with the NotR expansion, so much so that I haven't played it vanilla ever since. The world was even bigger with more variety, and I love the experience of seeing how the colony changed since the first game, so much so that it is like seeing it all again for the first time. Dragons were a nice touch, predictable though they might have been, and while they may be outclassed by more modern games, fighting them still feels very intense. I love seeing things change in Khorinis as the threat from the Valley creeps closer and closer, and I still think Irdorath is an amazing final dungeon.

Gothic 3: Just a right mess. Everything that made the first games endearing is gone. I would have respected what it tried to be if it was a totally different franchise, but there's no good characters, no dynamic world, no sense of urgency or purpose, and no truly interesting things to see in any of the towns outside of Varant. And that's beyond the gameplay, with the completely broken combat and endless bugs. CP, CM and QP mods make it enjoyable enough to play, but it doesn't even belong in the shadow of its predecessors. Only place it really scores points in is the beauty of the environments and the unforgettable soundtrack.

Risen: A solid new start for the team, even if it's not as close to Gothic as a lot of us would have liked. I still love it for what it is. Combat was clunky but had substance to it, the world was rich and fun to explore, some actually genuine characters for a change who seemed to have a purpose, and a terrific soundtrack again, even if it was toned down from Gothic 3's ensemble, with a tropical twist. The dungeons really were some of the best I've ever explored, and it's surprising that the team never really put much emphasis on them afterwards.

Risen 2: There was nothing about Risen 2 that was awful. The whole thing was just depressingly mediocre. Everything that made it an RPG was scaled down, everything that made Risen feel like Gothic was removed. I had no real qualms about the pirate themes, but just how lackluster everything around it was made it hard to enjoy this one for long. The combat worked, but that's about it. It was a nightmare until you invested into the right skills, but that left you with only one way to fight, apart from just shooting everything. The magic system was bollocks, nothing that made you feel powerful, the alchemy and crafting was pointless, and the guilds never felt like they mattered. There was no reason to join the Inquisition just for their shitty muskets, but voodoo would not carry you through the game at all, and half the remaining skills were totally pointless. This whole thing just fell flat. Only thing I liked was the Legendary Items system, though it felt too much like Secret Packages from GTA.

Risen 3: I preferred to see the cautious steps forward that this one took rather than see a massive overhaul like they tried with Gothic 3. They focused on what I thought were the worst decisions of Risen 2 and brought back the guilds, the world depth, and the appeal of magic, while trying a few delicate tricks with the spells. Some new decisions, such as the soul meter and the open sea combat, really needed some extra time in the oven to really become something. I liked the expansion of Legendary Items to also include weapons you could reforge, as well as being able to take basic weapons and turn them into better ones. They never quite fixed things like crafting as much as I wished, though.

So to wrap it all up, my listing basically goes like this, from best to worst:
    Gothic II (NotR)
    Gothic
    Risen
    Risen 3
    Risen 2
    Gothic 3 (Tied or possibly more enjoyable than R2 when packed with all the mods, but still just a terribly designed and implemented game)
    YouTube channel for Let's Plays and shenanigans: https://www.youtube.com/c/Morgannin
    Morgannin09 ist offline

6. #6 Zitieren
    Waldläufer Avatar von Füchschen - Foxy
    Just a quick visite from the german forums.
    I think this kind of post is missing there, or i couldn't find it.

my top to worst list:

Gothic
    Risen
    Risen 3
    <---------> Expected place for Elex (But could be as high as Risen or even Gothic... not sure)
    Gothic 2
    Gothic 3
    Risen (xbox 360) -> wasn't a good port or im just not used to consoles.
    Gothic 2 NotR
    Risen 2
    Gothic 2 Platinum Edition. (Restart your PC and you need to buy a new copy ) (or was it Gold edition... ) hmm
    *Die Suche nach Calaan ist die Suche nach den Menschen in uns selbst*
    ~ Reinhold
    [Bild: small.png] pls dont hurt me ~ [Bild: pixelFox.png]
    Füchschen - Foxy ist offline

7. #7 Zitieren
    Warrior Avatar von The Ore Baron
    Zitat Zitat von Füchschen - Foxy Beitrag anzeigen
    Gothic
    Risen
    Risen 3
    Elex (expected)
    Gothic 2
    Gothic 3
    Gothic 2 NotR
    Risen 2
    What a terrible taste
    The Ore Baron ist offline

8. #8 Zitieren
    Warrior
    Gothic > Gothic II NotR >= Gothic II >= Risen >> Gothic 3 >> Risen 3 >= Risen 2

Gothic is perfect.
    The story and setting of Gothic II is a bit generic, but other than that I have no objections.
    Risen is like an updated Gothic. The only reason it ranks a bit lower than the first two Gothics is that it has fewer memorable characters and feels much smaller.
    Gothic 3 is one of my favorite free-roaming open-world RPGs. It has nothing to do with the other entries in the series, but it's still a ton of fun.
    Risen 2 and Risen 3 are okay, but those games have terrible inventory and UI and they are too much streamlined for my taste. Plus the music sucks in both of them.
    rotator ist offline Geändert von rotator (14.06.2017 um 17:33 Uhr)

9. #9 Zitieren
    Deus Avatar von Gothaholic
    Zitat Zitat von Morgannin09 Beitrag anzeigen
    So to wrap it all up, my listing basically goes like this, from best to worst:
    Gothic II (NotR)
    Gothic
    Risen
    Risen 3
    Risen 2
    Gothic 3
    my listing is the same with the exception of G3:
    Gothic II / NotR
    Gothic
    Risen
    Gothic 3
    Risen 3
    Risen 2
    Gothaholic ist offline

10. #10 Zitieren
    Zitat Zitat von rotator Beitrag anzeigen
    Gothic > Gothic II NotR >= Gothic II >= Risen >> Gothic 3 >> Risen 3 >= Risen 2

Gothic is perfect.
    The story and setting of Gothic II is a bit generic, but other than that I have no objections.
    Risen is like an updated Gothic. The only reason it ranks a bit lower than the first two Gothics is that it has fewer memorable characters and feels much smaller.
    Gothic 3 is one of my favorite free-roaming open-world RPGs. It has nothing to do with the other entries in the series, but it's still a ton of fun.
    Risen 2 and Risen 3 are okay, but those games have terrible inventory and UI and they are too much streamlined for my taste. Plus the music sucks in both of them.
    I'm curious. Do you think Gothic II made no notable improvements over Gothic? Such as alchemy, smithing, and faction-specific side quests throughout the game?
    I am in the weird position of having never played Gothic until long after I had my fill of 2 and 3, so maybe my nostalgia bias is in reverse of everyone else's. But I honestly think Gothic II took Gothic, added some mechanics and some much-needed polish (still needed a lot more) and broadened the setting in some appreciated ways. And while the story might have been more generic up to the end, I think the storytelling and pacing is actually really well done (apart from the way the NotR expansion grinds everything to a halt as it shoehorns its way into the plot, because Vatras can't stop preaching for a minute). I still get goosebumps returning to the Valley and seeing the devastation following the fall of the Barrier and invasion by the Orc army.
    YouTube channel for Let's Plays and shenanigans: https://www.youtube.com/c/Morgannin
    Morgannin09 ist offline

11. #11 Zitieren
    Adventurer Avatar von Misanthrope
    In rather humble way are changes made in G2 spoken about. Old world, plus much larger new world including a large living human settlement not seen in PB game ever since, more developed characters from the first Gothic and added new ones, more items, quest... almost triple content overall. That's not "some" improvement.

...and faction-specific side quests throughout the game?
    It's not just the side quest. The overall game play is fundamentally affected by different choice of factions. E.g. The disposition of others towards you (the paladins will treat you nicely saying 'forgive me master' if you've chosen to becom a mage, or 'dirty sucm' if you are a mercenary), the items have different value to you (if you found a runestone in an old chest), monster encounters (you bump intoa troll and only carrying a one handed militia sword)...
    So, by no objective means can I put G1 over G2, except for nostalgia and unique atmosphere.

About Gothic III:
    In short - love, hate, excitement, anger, frustration. The legend says that if one somehow managed to forget everything he knew about previous Gothic games, there is a small chance that he will enjoy Gothic 3. A few that were lucky (unlucky) to have it as their first Gothic say it was not as bad as some might want you to believe. For trve cultists speaking out in favor of G3 is absolute heresy on par with mentioning Arcania in PB related forums. Nonetheless, I will take it upon my self to say a few positive things about Gothic 3.

- The exploration factor in G3 is strong (best in all PB game, imho). This of course, comes naturally due to radical changes in world design and making Gothic open world, but it is much clear that a lot of effort has been put into roads, paths, placement and distance between bigger and smaller settlements, border areas between major regions, more friendly areas like hunting grounds, dangerous areas occupied by orcs, etc. Environmental variety and beauty also adds up to it. There are alot places where you can truly and genuinely get lost which increases immersion.

- Very neat UI. To have nicely organized stats so you can easily track your progress and quickly view it in ONE (!) screen seems to be neglected luxury in most modern games. Not in G3.

- Beautiful and masterfully composed ost. If nothing else works for you, G3 is worth a couple of hours of just exploring the land and listening to absolutely wonderful soundtrack.

About "Risen":
    A good and polished game, but most of its 'goodness' is carried by reminiscence of Gothic. Mostly hindered by the lack of lore and undeveloped characters. One of the positives was combat mechanics, which now (then) actually made sense about what they were tyring to achieve (basically, timed reflex based combat - new moves unlock as you progress the skill). Bottom line - solid game worth a couple of playthroughs.

There's not much to say about Risen 2 & 3 were simply mediocre games, R3 being a slight improvement which I will not discuss further in this already chaotic post.

So to conclude (best to worst):
    (might rotate G3 and R1 about, first two and bottom two are rock solid and indisputable)

Gothic 2 (NotR)
    Gothic 1
    Gothic 3
    Risen 1
    Risen 3
    Risen 2
    Misanthrope ist offline

12. #12 Zitieren
    Apprentice
    I already voted in this poll? Have I?

oh well..played them all and loved them all, Gothic 3 needed the 1.75 CP of course, before that could get any of my love.....

....obviously, Gothic 1 and 2 were the best and most rawest of all the games but I enjoyed the others a lot also.......albeit after a very necessary patch or two.....(PB always seem to do something to fk things up, but their games have an easy immersiveness that I just don't get from other RPGs.

Only one I never completed was Risen 3, because I couldn't be fkd with the sea monster battles after a certain point in the game.......played about 20 minutes painstakingly trying to nail this monster, looked online to find out if there was a certain method needed to kill it quick, found out there wasn't and also found out that I was going to get a sea monster battle every other time I wanted to hop across islands......I thought "fk that, I am not burning my time with this".........Schade! REally enjoyed the game up to that point.
    MatDerKater ist offline

13. #13 Zitieren
    Warrior
    I'm curious. Do you think Gothic II made no notable improvements over Gothic?
    It did in many areas, it is highly polished, bigger, more robust, more varied, however it's somewhat generic storywise and it lacks the special atmosphere and setting of Gothic. Because that kind of atmosphere is next to impossible to achieve in a videogame and Gothic managed to do that coming from nowhere and building everything from nothing, I place it above Gothic II. Gothic is magic. That said I've actually completed Gothic II more times than Gothic.
    rotator ist offline

14. #14 Zitieren
    Zitat Zitat von rotator Beitrag anzeigen
    It did in many areas, it is highly polished, bigger, more robust, more varied, however it's somewhat generic storywise and it lacks the special atmosphere and setting of Gothic. Because that kind of atmosphere is next to impossible to achieve in a videogame and Gothic managed to do that coming from nowhere and building everything from nothing, I place it above Gothic II. Gothic is magic. That said I've actually completed Gothic II more times than Gothic.
    Gothic definitely had a more unique setting, that's for sure. How many rpgs are there where everyone you meet is a convicted criminal of some kind?
    I just find the world of Gothic 2 much more vibrant and beautiful. The colony was kind of washed out and gray even before the barrier fell, but it figures that some of my favorite regions are behind the wall when you return in 2.
    As far as the story, sure. It's more generic at face value, but I love the writing and the background stuff, like the civil war, the lifestyles in the city versus the farmers, the general air of hunger, desperation, frustration and fear caused by the war and the arrival of the paladins, and then the return to the valley to find it so much more dangerous than it was before. And having the enemy known from the start may spoil any surprises, but I feel like it adds to the tension as you know what you have to deal with and gradually see what the enemy is capable of. Chapter 3 is by far my favorite, although it's been kind of spoiled by the bad integration of the expansion.
    Morgannin09 ist offline

15. #15 Zitieren
    Knight Avatar von catalinux
    Gothic 1 - The one I love the most. It's perfect.
    Gothic 2 / NoTR - good, most of it.
    Gothic 3 - I dislike most of it.
    Risen 1 - alright, but I never finished it, I never got into it.
    Risen 2 - something about this is good (the pirates), but the movement and fighting are so bad.
    Risen 3 - I enjoyed it playing as a mage. Not so fun when fighting with swords or fire arms.
    catalinux ist offline

16. #16 Zitieren
    Apprentice Avatar von kozzy
    I have owned all of the games PB has done, minus the special edition ones.

My favorite are as follows

Gothic 2 is my favorite hands down out of the Gothic games. Risen 1 and 3 I liked, but Risen 2 is my least favorite PB game.
    kozzy ist offline

17. #17 Zitieren
    Fighter Avatar von AshleyG
    * Gothic 2 with addon
    * Gothic 1
    * The rest in no particular order.

Rest I consider decent games but I only played them once or twice (G1 &2 I played up to 20 and even loved the combat). I don't think I prefer one over the others. Gothic 3 wasn't super impressive but when I think of the 3 landmasses I just think "Oh I loved that place". Sad Jowood greed and obsession with shares ruined it.
    Want a good laugh? Jowood went bankrupt shortly after, and got bought by Nordic games, Elex producers.
    From what I saw of elex, even if its a fail it will still be in my top 3 pb games this is for sure. The simple fact bows are back, the place is huge and beautiful is enough. I don't see how that game can not be better than g3 and risen trilogy. Only worry I had is about the jetpack but after replaying Mass Effect Andromeda it feels natural I must say!
    I don't see how the game can possibly be bad unless you're a gigantic noob that can't parry dodge or avoid running into gigantic monsters and is bronze 2 in league of legends and starcraft 2.

Edit: Risen 1 and 2 I played on xbox (still got Risen 2 box, 1 is lost forever thanks mum), rest I played on PC. Of all the games Risen 3 is the one I played way after his release because I was so unhyped (except Gothic 1 I never heard of and randomly stumbled upon a year or so after its release). I didn't buy Risen 3 the first time I played it, ma bad. I got it on steam a year or 2 ago and barely played it since then.
    AshleyG ist offline Geändert von AshleyG (11.10.2017 um 22:28 Uhr)

18. #18 Zitieren
    General Avatar von Khaled
    I like the fact that G3 add-on is not even on that list...

That game is not worthy of mentioning.

I played G1, G2+NotR, G3 and Risen. Have to say my favourite is G1, because of the insane immersion.
    Khaled ist offline

19. #19 Zitieren
    Zitat Zitat von Khaled Beitrag anzeigen
    I like the fact that G3 add-on is not even on that list...

That game is not worthy of mentioning.
    Especially because they didn't make it
    Morgannin09 ist offline

20. #20 Zitieren
    General Avatar von Khaled
    Especially because they didn't make it
    Right-o'! Missed that detail.. anyway...may it be forgotten, together with that other abomination that came right after it..
    Khaled ist offline

Seite 1 von 2 12 Letzte »