Portal-Zone Gothic-Zone Gothic II-Zone Gothic 3-Zone Gothic 4-Zone Modifikationen-Zone Download-Zone Foren-Zone RPG-Zone Almanach-Zone Spirit of Gothic

Ergebnis 1 bis 5 von 5
  1. Beiträge anzeigen #1 Zitieren
    Local Hero Avatar von Darksword

Darksword ist offline

Two possibly under-appreciated weapons in NotR: spoilers

Not often mentioned in guides etc are two weapons I find really useful: the Staff Mace (can be found in the goblin cave behind Onar's house, and also bought in Ch1), and Typhoon (bought from Cronos on arrival in Jharkendar).

The Staff Mace: does 70 damage and requires 70 STR. I get it in ch1, and it's a pretty good item to hang on to: I'm now in ch2 and have just taken out those pesky skeletons (4 Lower Skeletons and 1 Skeleton) that hang out in Onar's wood between the goblin cave and Inubis' Tomb. I took them out pretty easily with the staff mace. It's also excellent against the Stone Golems in the cave up at the Pyramid place. In fact, I handle most of ch1 with it, though I can't take out wargs or orcs at that stage.

As for Typhoon, it does 75 damage, requires a only 45 STR and gives a 5% boost to two-handed fighting skills. I've just blown through the Swamp and the Canyon with it, after triggering Ch2.

The real advantage of both these weapons for me is their reach: 130. By swinging side to side I can keep enemies at bay, and really hurt them if they try to strafe around me. For my style of fighting, long-reach weapons are mission-critical for minimising damage to me. Some swords (eg Dragon Slicer which I've used as early as Ch2) have a reach of 120, which is doable.

For Trolls, I prefer a shorter reach weapon: I've had most success with the Giant Machete: 105 damage, requires 100 STR, and has a shortish reach: 105. I usually buy it from Martin in Ch1. Axes would be good here too.

I should mention that my game-play is focussed heavily on maximising STR (I train it to 88), two-handed skill, and, by praying daily to Innos, Hit Points.

2. Beiträge anzeigen #2 Zitieren
    Hydrabogen Avatar von Windmacht

Windmacht ist offline
    For the Staff Mace might Ulthar's wand be an alternative, especially for chars with less strength in the early game.
    It does also 70 Damage, but requires only 40 Str.. Though it has "only" a range of 120, the weapon comes with a +4 bonus on the two-handed skill.

The only problem may be, that you can only buy it from Gorax in the monastery and you can gain official access there only as a Novice in Chapter 1 or as a Mercenary/Dragon Slayer respectively as a Militia/Paladin in Chapter 3.

But there is a trick to get into the monastery earlier resp. without needing to become a Novice: Click.

For the way out see the spoiler:
    Spoiler:(zum lesen bitte Text markieren)
    Gorax sells a key for the monastery door.

3. Beiträge anzeigen #3 Zitieren
    Dreigestirn Avatar von Arkain

Arkain ist offline
    If you're only after range you could also go for the trusty fighting pike, available from Sarah for a bit of coin right from the start (or from various novices for free, if you're okay with a fight). For a bit more damage for still rather low strength values, you can get Rod's two-hander literally for free until you have enough strength to equip a proper rough two-hander of your own. It's not a blunt weapon, so it doesn't work as well against the odd enemy who's less resistant against blunt weapons, but it's still nice and in those cases you could always whip out your best blunt weapon, such as the fighting pike, the staff mace or whatever else you might have.
    Geändert von Arkain (11.12.2016 um 22:42 Uhr)

4. Beiträge anzeigen #4 Zitieren

Darksword ist offline
    Thank you, Windmacht and Arkhain.

I know the monastery trick, and have made a note about Ulthar's Wand and the pike for my next play-through.

Rod's sword is indeed the weapon I use in the early, early game, as soon as I can get hold of it. I hang onto it until I can get Engardo's Rough Two Hander, both with decent reach and they both work well at those stages of the game. But now I have extra options for next time - wonderful!
    Geändert von Darksword (12.12.2016 um 07:47 Uhr) Grund: spelling

5. Beiträge anzeigen #5 Zitieren

Darksword ist offline

Definitely add Ulthar's Wand to the list!

Zitat Zitat von Windmacht Beitrag anzeigen
    For the Staff Mace might Ulthar's wand be an alternative, especially for chars with less strength in the early game.
    It does also 70 Damage, but requires only 40 Str.. Though it has "only" a range of 120, the weapon comes with a +4 bonus on the two-handed skill.
    Windmacht, I had to restart my game, and so I thought I would try Ulthar's Wand. Wow!!! Fantastic weapon and available really early with its low STR requirement. Plus it has that cool look, and, like Typhoon, the dark blue sparkly magic twinkle appearing now and then.

I wish I had bought it much earlier than I did, I'm Level 8 right now, and without the Wand I would still be using Rod's Two-Hander. Next time, if there is a next time, though Daron will still get my first 1000 gold, Gorax will get the next 1000.

Many, many thanks for this tip.
    "All that matters is Strength." (Mercenary who hangs out in Onar's house)

Healing potions: the case for addiction (Book title in Divine Divinity)

"I've seen better times. Too little to live on, too much to die." (Farim, Gothic II Night of the Raven)