Home Risen Risen2 Risen3 Forum English Russian

Registrieren Hilfe Kalender Heutige Beiträge
Seite 1 von 2 12 Letzte »
Ergebnis 1 bis 20 von 39
  1. #1 Zitieren

Metasyntaktische Variable
    Bug-Me discussions #5

User chatter, comments, speculations and other stuff.

This thread contains whatever was moved away from the special "Bug Me" thread.

The "Bug Me" thread is special and exclusively reserved for questions to PB. All other posts are either deleted or moved here.

Here are the previous threads:
    foobar ist offline

2. #2 Zitieren

Zitat Zitat von Maladiq Beitrag anzeigen
    Here is some food for thought. I think pb are ready for a female lead in their next game. Not only it would provide some interesting storytelling oportunities, but it would also be a marketing heaven.
    That might antagonize the parts of the audience who don’t really do roleplaying (they want to play themselves, not someone else). They keep fighting similar suggestions I made tooth and nail. Ideally, we’d get a character generation and then everyone can play with whatever gender they like. But even that is considered “evil”.

Probably a moot anyway. In the German forum, when Jenny was asked if the new hero will have a name this time, she replied that at least she knew his name. So I’d wager we’ll get another bleak predefined character that will be so much better for storytelling purposes (trying to keep a straight face here).
    foobar ist offline

3. #3 Zitieren
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq
    Unfortunately it is hard and very resource consuming to implement a character which evolves with the player's choices. You would have to write and record at least 3 times the amount of lines and generate or eliminate certain quests.

Oh, and please don't use crap like Soul +1/-1 for different choices.
    For the most recent Elex news, the new Piranha Bytes RPG, visit us at World of Elex!!!
    Maladiq ist offline

4. #4 Zitieren

Unfortunately it is hard and very resource consuming to implement a character which evolves with the player's choices. You would have to write and record at least 3 times the amount of lines and generate or eliminate certain quests.
    Since PB never did this before, it’s reasonable to assume they’re not going to start now. Their characters were always blank slates. Empty vessels. Void templates. They have no name, no past, no pre-existing affiliations, nothing. So they might as well be configurable in their appearance and/or gender.
    foobar ist offline

5. #5 Zitieren
    World of Elex  Avatar von Ravenhearth
    Jenny also said that the hero will have a background this time.
    Ravenhearth ist offline

6. #6 Zitieren

Zitat Zitat von ravenhearth Beitrag anzeigen
    Jenny also said that the hero will have a background this time.
    You could argue that the R3 hero also had a background (he has a family, after all). The question is whether or not it will be rich background. Still, story background does not preclude character generation.
    foobar ist offline

7. #7 Zitieren
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq
    A bit of OT. Does this look like a GPU malfunction, ir could it be something else? http://cloud.addictivetips.com/wp-co...hiccardfix.jpg
    For the most recent Elex news, the new Piranha Bytes RPG, visit us at World of Elex!!!
    Maladiq ist offline

8. #8 Zitieren
    Knight Avatar von catalinux
    A bit of OT. Does this look like a GPU malfunction, ir could it be something else? http://cloud.addictivetips.com/wp-co...hiccardfix.jpg
    Looks like a picture taken in 2000 of a monitor displaying the loading screen of an customised Win XP?
    catalinux ist offline

9. #9 Zitieren
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq
    A friend sent it to me as being similar to his current problem.
    Maladiq ist offline

10. #10 Zitieren

Checked the cable?
    foobar ist offline

11. #11 Zitieren
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq
    That is what i suggested as well. Apparently it's not a problem with tha vga cord.
    Maladiq ist offline

12. #12 Zitieren
    Warrior Avatar von Morgannin09
    I never had a particular problem with the lack of customization of the player characters in Piranha Bytes games. They always toed a happy medium between the featureless blank slate characters of so many RPG's ala Elder Scrolls and Dark Souls and the first Dragon Age, while still giving a huge dose of appealing personality which so many RPG's fail to deliver. You have a certain amount of choice in how the player character behaves, in that they give you choices of being a thieving greedy asshole or a golden-hearted samaritan, but all along the way the character has personality and even snide remarks to deliver the characterization of your actions. And I appreciate that it's hard for a small developer to do this without limiting certain aspects of their player character, because otherwise they have to commit more budget to animation, character feature generation, and even voice acting, something which I personally think Piranha Bytes should not waste their budget on. None of their player characters have been so abhorrent that I wished I could make my own character instead. Sure, Nameless Steelbeard of Risen 3 was excruciatingly cheesy and oppressively vulgar in his delivery of most of his dialog, but it still felt so much better to me than just choosing a short line of text from a narrow list that you can expect from virtually every RPG in the last 10-15 years.
    YouTube channel for Let's Plays and shenanigans: https://www.youtube.com/c/Morgannin
    Morgannin09 ist offline

13. #13 Zitieren
    World of Elex  Avatar von Ravenhearth
    Zitat Zitat von Morgannin09 Beitrag anzeigen
    Your approach to the world exploration:
    1. Do you intend to have the whole world (or just about all of it) open to the player from the start, like Gothic 3 and Risen? Or will you have the player complete a tutorial area first, ala Risen 2 and 3?
    They already answered this question, although I can't find it right now. It'll be like in G3 and Risen 1.

Edit: Oh, Jenny answered it in her last post.

Zitat Zitat von Jenny PB Beitrag anzeigen
    1. It will be very early.
    Ravenhearth ist offline

14. #14 Zitieren
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq
    Zitat Zitat von Morgannin09 Beitrag anzeigen
    Your approach to the world exploration:
    1. Do you intend to have the whole world (or just about all of it) open to the player from the start, like Gothic 3 and Risen? Or will you have the player complete a tutorial area first, ala Risen 2 and 3?

If I am going to see an in-game tutorial again, I am going to cry. It breaks immersion so much that it's just painful. I am ok with having a tutorial, but let it be separate from the game and with a placeholder character. After I click "New game", I don't want to see hints popping up all over the screen, or even worse, the game freezing until you press that button.

EDIT:

Zitat Zitat von ravenhearth Beitrag anzeigen
    They already answered this question, although I can't find it right now. It'll be like in G3 and Risen 1.

Edit: Oh, Jenny answered it in her last post.
    Thanks, missed that one, added it to the info list.
    Maladiq ist offline Geändert von Maladiq (30.06.2015 um 08:30 Uhr)

15. #15 Zitieren

If I am going to see an in-game tutorial again, I am going to cry. It breaks immersion so much that it's just painful. I am ok with having a tutorial, but let it be separate from the game and with a placeholder character.
    Well, it depends. There are tutorials that you don’t even really notice because they are implemented in an immersive way. Let’s take Skyrim as an example. Yes, it has quest markers and on-screen messages. But some other elements are solved more clever. Like when you escape with Ralof/Hedvar from Helgen. There’s this lever in the dungeon that lowers the bridge. How does the game tell you to use it?

• You do not get a tutorial popup telling you to pull the lever.
    • There is no flashing arrow pointing towards it.
    • And Ralof does not act like he’s a cast member of Sesame Street (“Look here. This is what we call a lever. le-ver. You can activate it. Can you spell ‘activate’?”).

Instead, he just goes to the lever, mumbles away and pulls the lever. The bridge drops downs and the player, who witnessed that, has learned: Pull levers when you cannot progress. Really simple learning mechanic: Monkey see, monkey do. And if you’re faster than Ralof and pull the lever before he can – well, then there’s no need to teach you and the game just continues.

Same with the trap in Bleakfalls Barrow (the first dungeon you are directed to). Upon approach, you see a bandit pulling a different lever and getting hit with poison darts. So you learn that some levers can be trapped and you have to look around a bit more. Which quickly leads you to discover the riddle with the crests on the stones.

So you learn a lot of stuff in Skyrim through imitation, by “coincidentally” witnessing how other characters in the world do things right or wrong and then drawing lessons for yourself from that.
    foobar ist offline Geändert von foobar (30.06.2015 um 11:46 Uhr)

16. #16 Zitieren
    Schwertmeister Avatar von warstrike
    Just wanted to let you know that they posted a message on Facebook saying "3 days left". We can expect some news ...
    warstrike ist offline

17. #17 Zitieren
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq
    Maladiq ist offline

18. #18 Zitieren
    Warrior Avatar von The Ore Baron
    I'm seeing a ship mast and a beach on a mountainous island.
    The Ore Baron ist offline

19. #19 Zitieren
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq
    Me too, but the picture is too dark to tell for sure.
    Maladiq ist offline

20. #20 Zitieren
    Knight Avatar von catalinux
    For me, it looks like the canyon from "The Colony", just outside the Exchange Place.
    catalinux ist offline

Seite 1 von 2 12 Letzte »