Home Risen Risen2 Risen3 Forum English Russian

Registrieren Hilfe Kalender Heutige Beiträge
Seite 2 von 2 « Erste 12
Ergebnis 21 bis 26 von 26
  1. #21 Zitieren
    Knight Avatar von catalinux
    Zitat Zitat von Michael Rüve Beitrag anzeigen
    WoT being PvP multiplayer (I personally have spent more time with it than with any single RPG and 3k matches is not even much)
    Panzer Commander anyone?
    catalinux ist offline

2. #22 Zitieren
    Ranger Avatar von Grimmwulf
    Hardly surprising:

WoT being PvP multiplayer (I personally have spent more time with it than with any single RPG and 3k matches is not even much) and Banished and EU being simulations/grand strategy (I suppose my playtime with Civ I-III surpasses any other playtime. HOI II might come in second, but I do not really track my playtime).
    That's a good point, though I've played Skyrim more than those three games combined (without ever finishing the main quest). Skyrim, Morrowind, Gothic 2 NotR , BG2, and NWN (on private RP servers) are likely my most played games despite being into strategy games as well. Ich liebe meine deutschen Panzerjäger though, so perhaps WoT will keep rising up the ranks. In any case it gives me the perfect alibi for listening to kickass German military music without being called a you-know-what.

Zitat Zitat von MatDerKater Beitrag anzeigen
    PB games have always been cartoonish in their storytelling and with their in game characters, but it seems that with Risen 3, PB have made the final step in the transition from being more like the Brothers Grimm, to being more akin to Walt Disney and it just isn't what PB's core fanbase want.
    I don't think the Gothic series has ever been akin to the Brothers Grimm though. The Brothers Grimm are about dark folklore, which is at the core of the Witcher series. The Gothic series has been grittier than most RPGs though, leaning towards realism as opposed to romanticism. I'd agree that the Risen series (especially the 2nd and 3rd installments) are more light-hearted and romantic than the grittier Gothic series though. Running around on sunny beaches with tropical music playing in the background definitely has that effect. I miss the 'In Extremo feeling'.
    Das war's mit dir, du Mistvieh!
    Verdammte Enten!
    Grimmwulf ist offline Geändert von Grimmwulf (20.03.2015 um 19:04 Uhr)

3. #23 Zitieren
    Apprentice
    Zitat Zitat von Grimmwulf Beitrag anzeigen
    I don't think the Gothic series has ever been akin to the Brothers Grimm though. The Brothers Grimm are about dark folklore, which is at the core of the Witcher series. The Gothic series has been grittier than most RPGs though, leaning towards realism as opposed to romanticism. I'd agree that the Risen series (especially the 2nd and 3rd installments) are more light-hearted and romantic than the grittier Gothic series though. Running around on sunny beaches with tropical music playing in the background definitely has that effect. I miss the 'In Extremo feeling'.
    No. Gothic isn't really like the Brothers Grimm at all...but placing ones finger on the differences in character between two things which in most obvious respects are very similar, without going into a great big expansive wall of text, isn't so easy....so I plumped for Gothic = Brothers Grimm, Risen 3 = Walt Disney.

I would agree that Gothic was gritty, but cartoon gritty, other than realistic gritty.
    MatDerKater ist offline

4. #24 Zitieren
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq
    Zitat Zitat von Morgannin09 Beitrag anzeigen
    Sometimes it's a matter of putting on a leash, just so someone can pull you out of the hole. Without knowing the details of the contract PB signed back then and what other, if any, publishing contracts they had to choose from, I won't assume that they gleefully threw themselves into a cage for this deal.
    They did do that. After G3 they were in the hole and signed with DS. Risen 1 had a pretty decent marketing, and new materials were popping all the time. When Risen proved to be a success, they had an option to sign for 2 more titles. And that is the moment they agreed to have a leash on. They were doing well and had some bargaining chips.

Yet what the might penguin speaks is true: they never had a well made bible for the world, or any noticeble love for their IP.

Also, is it me, or the combat system in Risen 3 felt like grinding more than anything? I never felt like I was grinding G123 or R1.
    For the most recent Elex news, the new Piranha Bytes RPG, visit us at World of Elex!!!
    Maladiq ist offline

5. #25 Zitieren

Piranha-Bytes
    Zitat Zitat von Maladiq Beitrag anzeigen
    When Risen proved to be a success, they had an option to sign for 2 more titles. And that is the moment they agreed to have a leash on. They were doing well and had some bargaining chips.
    Sorry having to say that, but as rotator already put it correctly in the orther thread: "you live in a dream world".

How is it that everybody (at least those who have not worked in the industry) keeps believing that any independent team of significant size can afford waiting for the success of their last title before signing on for a next one (or more correctly: start negotiating for the new one)?
    Of course that tactics can work if in between projects all people are simply laid off (which is not the way we do it and which in my eyes is not a sustainable policy in the long term anyway). Barring that the folks still want to be paid their salaries - which happens to be kinda hard if you have no revenues incoming.
    Michael Rüve ist offline

6. #26 Zitieren
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq
    Sorry having to say that, but as rotator already put it correctly in the orther thread: "you live in a dream world".
    Well, since what you say is that they offered you a contract prolongation during the development of Risen 1, it means they had enough data and they have seen enough of the game to know that you can deliver a quality game. Not only you were coming as a cult game developer with a loyal fan-base, but you also proved that PB deserved to have such a reputation. In my book, that looks like leverage. You were in a position to negotiate at least the minimum of a marketing/development strategy which would include a better communication with the fans.

If you tried and failed, then consider both PB and the community to be victims of the system.

Oh, and as a side note, I really think crowd funding right now would be a terrible idea. So would be dumping DS without a concrete offer. But I still dream of a PB game published by CD Projekt.
    For the most recent Elex news, the new Piranha Bytes RPG, visit us at World of Elex!!!
    Maladiq ist offline

Seite 2 von 2 « Erste 12