Home Risen Risen2 Risen3 Forum English Russian

Registrieren Hilfe Kalender Heutige Beiträge
Seite 3 von 4 « Erste 1234 Letzte »
Ergebnis 41 bis 60 von 75
  1. #41 Zitieren
    Warrior
    Zitat Zitat von ICFabian Beitrag anzeigen
    God, Mike looks so old and worn out )
    Creating a groundbreaking new RPG concept takes its toll. He'll also be present at KaiRo's barbecue party after successful Kickstarter along with other PB (ex-)members.

Can't wait for details of the new project, the man is clearly in works.
    rotator ist offline Geändert von rotator (27.08.2014 um 09:30 Uhr)

2. #42 Zitieren
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq
    Zitat Zitat von rotator Beitrag anzeigen
    Creating a groundbreaking new RPG concept takes its toll.
    That's right.
    For the most recent Elex news, the new Piranha Bytes RPG, visit us at World of Elex!!!
    Maladiq ist offline

3. #43 Zitieren
    Auserwählter Avatar von eddievedder
    Zitat Zitat von rotator Beitrag anzeigen
    Creating a groundbreaking new RPG concept takes its toll.
    Uhm, don't want to burst bubbles here but he didn't say anything about his project being a RPG. It could be something quite different. Actually, there was a video-interview with KaiRo about game design in general where he states the following:
    "Ich hatte da vor kurzem noch ein Gespräch mit dem Lead Game Designer von "Gothic"; mit dem ich ja auch sehr lange zusammengearbeitet habe, dann jetzt eine Zeit lang nicht. Und wir haben uns jetzt über die aktuellen Projekte sozusagen jeweils unterhalten. Der macht jetzt was oder hat was vor, was komplett losgelöst von diesem Storytelling-Ansatz ist, den Gothic hatte, also 'ne ganz andere Art von Spiel, aber hat auch noch mal bestätigt, dass die Musik dann sozusagen trotzdem nochmal 'ne Storytelling-Ebene hinzufügt, weil man eben durch die Musik, durch die Art der Instrumentierung auch sehr viel transportieren kann, was nicht durch das Gravische, oder durch, sage ich mal, die Mechanik des Spiels, transportiert wird."
    Quite hard to translate it literally and word-by-word but i'll give it a try:
    "I recenty had a conversation with the lead game designer of "Gothic" with whom i worked with for a long time, but not for quite a while now. And we talked about the current projects in particular. He's now doing something - or intends to do something - which is completely detached from this approach of storytelling that Gothic had. Therefore a completely different type of game, but he again acknowledged that music still adds a certain level of storytelling; because by the means of music and the type of instrumentation you can transport very much which doesn't get transported through the graphics or the mechanics of the game, so to say."
    So, if he's talking about Mike - which i think - the parts written in bold seem to point towards a different direction than "Gothic" or maybe even RPG in general.
    "ich hab grad nen thread gelöscht, in dem mangelnde meinungsfreiheit hier im forum angeprangert wird und behauptet wird, wir würden negative kritik unterdrücken."
    ~ how to meditate
    eddievedder ist offline Geändert von eddievedder (28.08.2014 um 00:33 Uhr) Grund: added a link

4. #44 Zitieren
    Knight Avatar von catalinux
    Another approach of storytelling? I wonder how this would be like.

Not necessary something bad, I presume. Time will tell, I hope.
    catalinux ist offline

5. #45 Zitieren
    Schwertmeister Avatar von warstrike
    Didn't Mike Hoge used to say that he wants to do something different from RPGs? I think he said that long ago .
    warstrike ist offline

6. #46 Zitieren
    Warrior
    Zitat Zitat von eddievedder Beitrag anzeigen
    Uhm, don't want to burst bubbles here but he didn't say anything about his project being a RPG. It could be something quite different. Actually, there was a video-interview with KaiRo about game design in general where he states the following:
    Nice find! Yes, I've only assumed (or rather hoped) he's working on an RPG, but I'm still curious about this new project. Especially if he hired KaiRo for music.
    rotator ist offline

7. #47 Zitieren
    Warrior Avatar von Morgannin09
    Zitat Zitat von warstrike Beitrag anzeigen
    Didn't Mike Hoge used to say that he wants to do something different from RPGs? I think he said that long ago .
    Not exactly RPG's, but he did say he was tired of the medieval fantasy setting, and that he even felt that the pirate setting of Risen 2 was too similar.
    YouTube channel for Let's Plays and shenanigans: https://www.youtube.com/c/Morgannin
    Morgannin09 ist offline

8. #48 Zitieren
    Well, some news occurred about Mike and his project and i have the feeling the english speaking community doesn't know about it yet, so i again would like to take the liberty of translating a few things:

First of all, it has been confirmed that Mike is not part of the PB anymore. In this thread misterXYZ refers to an article he wrote at gamersblobal.de and its comment section where an editor of the site, Benjamin Braun, reports the following:

No, his name missing in the credits of the preview version of Risen 3 already attracted my attention. During the gamescom i asked Björn about him. He told me that Mike isn't longer with the PB since about 1,5 years. Given how long they know each other, it seems unlikely they seperated due to a dispute. Though i didn't follow up on the subject any further.

Then Don-Esteban, admin of the WoP, responded in another thread to the speculations about Mattias Filler and Kai Rosenkranz being part of the team Mike is working with:

Nope. Mattias isn't part of it.
    Kai neither.

They are just loosely in contact [with Mike] because they know each other.

And it can take a while until there are more news about Mikes concept. He first has to pursue the usual route.
    and concerning the question whether there is a publisher for his new project:

Nah, it's all still a long way off from a publishing contract. It's more like Mike tinkering on his own *in a quiet chamber*. And by this time, a couple of people are implementing that into a visual concept or prototype which he can then use to begin with on his search for a publisher.

So please don't expect any breaking news in the next months.

* figure of speech, didn't know the exactly right counterpart

To cut a long story short: Mike is not with the PB anymore, Mattias and Kai are not part of his team, the project has no publisher yet and it could take a while until we get some news from him.
    "ich hab grad nen thread gelöscht, in dem mangelnde meinungsfreiheit hier im forum angeprangert wird und behauptet wird, wir würden negative kritik unterdrücken."
    ~ how to meditate
    eddievedder ist offline

9. #49 Zitieren
    Adventurer Avatar von Misanthrope
    Zitat Zitat von eddievedder Beitrag anzeigen
    To cut a long story short: Mike is not with the PB anymore, Mattias and Kai are not part of his team, the project has no publisher yet and it could take a while until we get some news from him.
    Good to know he's at least thinking about a new project and hasn't completely retired. Can't imagine he'll be doing something other than RPG considering his experience in the field.
    Misanthrope ist offline

10. #50 Zitieren
    Zitat Zitat von Misanthrope Beitrag anzeigen
    Good to know he's at least thinking about a new project and hasn't completely retired.
    He's not only thinking about it, he's actually realizing it.
    ~ how to meditate
    eddievedder ist offline

11. #51 Zitieren
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq
    Thanks a lot eddie! Much appreciated
    For the most recent Elex news, the new Piranha Bytes RPG, visit us at World of Elex!!!
    Maladiq ist offline

12. #52 Zitieren
    Warrior
    Carsten Edenfeld, lead programmer of Gothic 1-2-3 is kind of confirmed to be on board with Mike according to the German forum, while 3 former Piranhas denied their involvement. I have high hopes for Ralf to return as concept artist, but not so much for Kai: he will be busy with his Kickstarter for at least one full year I think, maybe even longer (Jeremy Soule is already 1 year overdue with his KS symphony project and it's still a long shot from completion) and already stated that it would be impossible to create the music for a full blown RPG in his spare time.
    rotator ist offline

13. #53 Zitieren
    So... why haven't we been talking about this more? I just noticed that there was a Eurogamer article on this, and the German forums have been blowing up for over a month now on the subject. Only problem is, it's all in German of course, and Google translate has only been yielding the most confusing jargon. Eddievedder, where art thou? You've been the only one shedding light on this for us so far.
    YouTube channel for Let's Plays and shenanigans: https://www.youtube.com/c/Morgannin
    Morgannin09 ist offline

14. #54 Zitieren
    Zitat Zitat von Morgannin09 Beitrag anzeigen
    Eddievedder, where art thou? You've been the only one shedding light on this for us so far.
    Right here.

I really wanted to fill you guys in by translating the whole new stuff but tbh, i kinda dodged the work so far. I'll try to give you a recap of what has happened in the next couple of days though.

Edit: But the most important info would be that the project he's working on turned out to be a sci-fi game going by the name of "Spacetime" (a working title, if i'm correct) in which the player's supposed to control and manage his own spacecraft. Sounds pretty interesting so far...
    ~ how to meditate
    eddievedder ist offline Geändert von eddievedder (29.11.2014 um 08:12 Uhr)

15. #55 Zitieren

Metasyntaktische Variable
    A few bullet points about Spacetime:

• Sci-Fi themed
    • First-person camera for everything
    • Kind of RPG (he showed some hesitation to put a genre label on the game) with focus on exploration
    • You do not level characters as in conventional RPGs but instead upgrade your ship
    • There are player skills (more as a basic setup than something to improve) and equipment and dialogues which influence events
    • Time spent on planets and space travel is about 50:50
    • Ship will be modular
    • Free gameplay (non-linear level design) is intended
    • Space combat will be directed from the captain's chair on the bridge
    • Combat outside the ship will be FPS-like
    • Story is about the first human ship capable of FTL travel
    • Levels can be small (a crashed space ship) or large (e.g. a big impact crater valley)
    • There are alien civilisations but not all of them still exist (searching for lost tech will be part of game)
    • Communication with aliens might be difficult in a few instances
    • No "magic" (e.g. jedi powers, psionics, biotics, etc.)
    • Little to none generated content
    • Graphics style is supposed to be more dirty (Alien/Prometheus) rather than shiny high-tech
    • World map is the milky way galaxy (with relevant planets being those with resources or landing sites)
    • Current status is a prototype development with the Unreal 4 engine (which he hopes to use for the game itself as well, if possible)
    • I specifically asked about Linux compatibility (since U4 supports that) but Mike himself has no experience with that so he wouldn't promise anything
    • He does not believe crowdfunding to be feasible for the project and is currently looking for a publisher contract (meaning the project can still be canned if no publisher is found)
    • Developed by a new company called "PB Red"
    foobar ist offline Geändert von foobar (29.11.2014 um 15:36 Uhr)

16. #56 Zitieren
    This "PB Red" is honestly what I'm most curious about. It obviously suggests a subset of the main studio, but also apparently means that Mike Hoge is not wholly unemployed from Piranha Bytes (or Pluto 13 or whatever) as originally seemed to be the case? That's pretty bitchin' if true. I thought PB was at a risk of downsizing after the less-than-stellar performances of their last two games, but if they're instead choosing to keep a small team to produce smaller projects in parallel to their primary studio, I'm totally cool with that. Of course, the "Red" in the name, as well as the name-drop of CD Projekt that Google won't translate properly, suggests some kind of connection with CD Project, but I bet that's a stretch
    Morgannin09 ist offline

17. #57 Zitieren

Of course, the "Red" in the name [...] suggests some kind of connection with CD Project, but I bet that's a stretch
    Mike claims that it has nothing to do with it. He said that of course they knew about CDPR but did not think about it while trying to come up with a name for the new company. Some people said that they couldn't/shouldn't use that name but he thinks they can. He also said that while he does not know anyone at CDP, he read that they were inspired by Gothic and now PB is going to be inspired back.

As for decision to separate the companies itself, it's probably for simple economical reasons. If any one company fails (i.e. goes bankrupt), the other can continue to operate without being affected by that. If they had just one company doing everything, then one failed project could pull the others down with it.
    foobar ist offline

18. #58 Zitieren
    This "PB Red" is honestly what I'm most curious about. It obviously suggests a subset of the main studio, but also apparently means that Mike Hoge is not wholly unemployed from Piranha Bytes (or Pluto 13 or whatever) as originally seemed to be the case? That's pretty bitchin' if true. I thought PB was at a risk of downsizing after the less-than-stellar performances of their last two games, but if they're instead choosing to keep a small team to produce smaller projects in parallel to their primary studio, I'm totally cool with that. Of course, the "Red" in the name, as well as the name-drop of CD Projekt that Google won't translate properly, suggests some kind of connection with CD Project, but I bet that's a stretch
    Yeah, that was kinda weird and the article didn't really help in that regard, so people started speculating about it. Therefore Mike tried to clear up some of the confusion:

Zitat Zitat von Michael Hoge Beitrag anzeigen
    2. Of course we don't want to implement the game with only 3 people. Right now the three of us (Sascha Henrichs, Carsten Edenfeld and my humble self) are working on a prototype. Michael Rüve is taking care of the finances, legislation and technology for us. I have been in touch with Kai Rosenkranz for some time now. More about that on a later date. Jann Kerntke [remark: the former concept artist of Risen 2] is nice enough to provide us with some artworks.

7. I'm sharing the estimation that we can't finance the game through kickstarter. Currently, we're being financed from our own resources and the state of North Rhine-Westphalia was kind enough to grant us a subsidy which is used to develop a small prototype for the start. To let the prototype grow we could try to gather some money through kickstarter - we're thinking about that.
    3. On the subject of CD Projekt: Of course we knew of CD Projekt Red. But no one thought of that during the brand naming. When we were running around with the suggestion there quickly came the argument that we couldn't do this. I think we can. I don't know the guys from CDP on a personal level but heard that they drew inspiration from the Gothic series among other things. Now we are the ones drawing some inspiration (although in retrospect )
    3. PB and PB RED are two fully separately operating companies but from time to time, we're talking to each other/share opinions/discuss.
    It's already concretely planned that the teams are functioning "on their own". Infrequently, we would bother the PB coders with technical issues. In the medium term, one could think about "helping each other out" but time will tell. After all, we're just at the very start of PB RED - as stated before.
    To cut a long story short: no connection to PB besides the name and some support from the former colleagues. And no connection to CD Projekt besides the "inspiration" for the name.

@ foobar thanks for the summary
    ~ how to meditate
    eddievedder ist offline Geändert von eddievedder (29.11.2014 um 20:58 Uhr)

19. #59 Zitieren
    Warrior Avatar von The Ore Baron
    Any news? From the German section, maybe?
    The Ore Baron ist offline

20. #60 Zitieren

Nothing spectacular. Except, maybe, that Kai Rosenkranz seems to have been volunteered for the music.
    foobar ist offline

Seite 3 von 4 « Erste 1234 Letzte »