Seite 1 von 14 12345812 ... Letzte »
Ergebnis 1 bis 20 von 266
  1. #1 Zitieren
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq
    It is certain that PB is in the preproduction of their next game. We don't know if it will be Risen 4, Gothic 5, or something totally different, and I really don't care right now. My main concern is that they deliver a wonderful product, regardless of its nature. I'll just call it RPBx.

My suggestion for them is to ditch the Genome engine and get another one. Unreal Engine 4 should do the job. Not only it is pretty damn cheap (19$ per month + 5% of the profits should be cheaper than having an entire programmer team with licensed tools struggling to keep alive an engine, or develop it from 0), it is really good looking (cutscene-like ingame graphics), amazingly optimized, and supports all the necessary interactions for delivering a memorable product.

I suggest you watch this video in its entirety: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hwhH7upYFE

As you can see, not only levels can be easily built, but it offers a lot of possibilities for in-game interactions. You get "intelligent" materials, which adapt themselves to surrounding situations (ice melting, wood burning, gears moving, landscape changing), and most of these don't even need programming, since the templates are already coded in the material attributes. Less programmers means more budget for the others.

And having great visuals will guarantee sales, even if the game is crap.

Oh, and let's remember how this opens the doors for easy modding.

IMO, getting a powerful engine will land them in the big leagues.
    For the most recent Elex news, the new Piranha Bytes RPG, visit us at World of Elex!!!
    Maladiq ist offline

2. #2 Zitieren
    Warrior Avatar von SlamDunk
    I'm sure PB already have decided to either go the proprietary or the licensing route. It all comes down to what they want to achieve with the next game, so it's not just "Hey, since everyone and their mother loves UE4 we should get it too.". I've got an inkling, though, that a few of the Piranhas have been hard at work developing the groundwork for a new and shiny DX11 engine of their own.

As for PB's next game, which I assume will be another RPG and since it most probably will be released for PC, PS4 and XBO, I really hope (and suggest) that they've taken on the draw distance issue and tackled it for good, this time. Draw and level-of-detail distance all the way into the horizon would be a huge boost for the all-important immersion level.
    SlamDunk ist offline

3. #3 Zitieren
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq
    As I said, UE4 is more than eye candy. Its developer tools are quite amazing and could add a great deal to the gameplay with minimum effort. And it also solves the distance draw

On a different subject, what I expect from their next game is actual free exploring. Nothing scripted, just free swimming, diving, climbing, and why not, flying. Gimme that, and also lots of interactions: cutting trees, digging holes, building structures, cooking, crafting, etc. I want to climb the trees, to intercept boats, steal horses and so on. Only then would a PB game stand a chance in today's market. This isn't 2001 anymore.
    For the most recent Elex news, the new Piranha Bytes RPG, visit us at World of Elex!!!
    Maladiq ist offline

4. #4 Zitieren
    Schwertmeister Avatar von warstrike
    Since everybody here wants something new ,they could try creating a boardgame /mmo / a game of thrones game /survival type .

But most importantly , are you sure they plan another game??
    warstrike ist offline Geändert von warstrike (12.05.2014 um 21:45 Uhr)

5. #5 Zitieren
    Knight
    well yeah, udk/unreal 4 doesn't just provide you far better visuals, it also is gives you tons of various tricks to optimize your game (artist making shaders himselfs with simple node based system), instanced materials, and tons of other tricks.

It also makes it much easier to work with, which means you reduce time to create scene a great deal. I worked already a little with unreal engine 4 myself, and similar like unity, it really cuts your time a lot, while with custom engines, you usually have to deal with all sorts of things, and not being able to do stuff that you could in unreal, unity or such.

So basically, you can have better visual in less time, because of good tools. It's not all jut about how good artists are, tools are VERY important aswell.
    Zocky ist offline

6. #6 Zitieren
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq
    Zitat Zitat von warstrike Beitrag anzeigen

But most importantly , are you sure they plan another game??
    Since I doubt they are going to just disband Piranha Bytes, of course they are Pre-prod always starts a couple of months early of the release of their actual project. Maybe even years. Paying people for idle sitting is a waste of money, so as soon as they are finished with their jobs, they start working on a new project. For example as Risen 3 is coming closer and closer to completion, the game designers have less and less work to do and begin planning their next one and pitching it to the publisher. The concept artists are the people who finish their work earliest, so they get busy drawing for multiple game ideas, (i.e. Risen 4, Gothic 5, a new racing game etc.), which will be pitched to the publisher, and they will choose one.

Then come the story writers, who start working on the new project, then the 3D artist and programmers, and finally the people responsible for implementing the story, the scripters.

Considering we are 3 months from release of Risen 3, I would say the concept artists, game designers and the story writers are pretty busy with their new project.

Is it confirmed that there will not be a Risen 4? Is it because they want to make a new Gothic, because they want to do something new, or because their contract with DS was not renewed? (after Risen 1 they signed with DS for two more projects)
    Maladiq ist offline

7. #7 Zitieren
    Warrior
    There is no sense in ditching the Genome engine. Piranha Bytes is one of those few developer studios, who were able to create a complex RPG engine from scratch. Not even CD Projekt Red could achieve that in the beginning. Their games look distinctive and not "yet another UE3 game with those stock bump maps".

The engine of Risen 2, while not state-of-the-art, is pretty advanced in technical terms. Risen 3 should be even better. Their landscapes look awesome, very nice lighting and weather effects. What really lacking is the characters: faces and animations are pretty low standard. Recently I've replayed Gothic 1 and the faces looked like a thousand times better than the ones in the Risen games. And animations are sometimes laughable, too much fast, wide movements.

What they really need to ditch is Deep Silver. Worst. Marketing. Ever.
    rotator ist offline

8. #8 Zitieren
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq
    You serious? Risen3 is dx9, it looks worst than Crysis ever did, and they struggled since 2007 to implement swimming and diving.
    Maladiq ist offline

9. #9 Zitieren
    Warrior
    Well, they could implement swimming and diving back in 2000, so I'm pretty sure there was no technical reason for not doing that, but rather some strange design choice.

For me style > realism, I'd choose Risen's graphics over Crysis anytime.
    rotator ist offline

10. #10 Zitieren
    Ranger Avatar von Forward
    I just hope Bjorn wouldn't develop another gothic
    my heart goes out with the original PB members.
    Forward ist offline

11. #11 Zitieren
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq
    Zitat Zitat von Forward Beitrag anzeigen
    I just hope Bjorn wouldn't develop another gothic
    my heart goes out with the original PB members.
    You do realize that Bjoern was part of the team since Gothic 1, right? He is an original PB member
    Maladiq ist offline

12. #12 Zitieren
    Schwertmeister Avatar von Roleplayer
    Zitat Zitat von Maladiq Beitrag anzeigen
    You do realize that Bjoern was part of the team since Gothic 1, right? He is an original PB member
    But he is not one of the PB creators and he is not one of the people who actually created the idea of Gothic and it's full game concept. He is not "real" PB.

The last was Mike Hoge and he left PB some time ago, so there are no longer any real PB members at the team. In fact, Risen 1 was created mostly by Hoge concept, and Risen 2 was created by Bjorn concept, so is Risen 3 as well. PB and its original style of games has been ruined by Bjorn hands.
    Roleplayer ist offline

13. #13 Zitieren
    Zitat Zitat von Roleplayer Beitrag anzeigen
    The last was Mike Hoge and he left PB some time ago, so there are no longer any real PB members at the team. In fact, Risen 1 was created mostly by Hoge concept, and Risen 2 was created by Bjorn concept, so is Risen 3 as well. PB and its original style of games has been ruined by Bjorn hands.
    Doesn't matter . It seems to me that they got lucky with Gothic 1 and Gothic 2. Since G3 they started to mess up things ,never got it right as they did when they first started ....seems to me just a lucky shot :-)
    warstrike ist offline

14. #14 Zitieren
    Zitat Zitat von warstrike Beitrag anzeigen
    Doesn't matter . It seems to me that they got lucky with Gothic 1 and Gothic 2. Since G3 they started to mess up things ,never got it right as they did when they first started ....seems to me just a lucky shot :-)
    luck or not, gothic 1 is masterpiece. and Maladiq, bjoern joined the team at the end of gothic 1 development.
    Forward ist offline

15. #15 Zitieren
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq
    luck or not, gothic 1 is masterpiece. and Maladiq, bjoern joined the team at the end of gothic 1 development.
    Not really. He joined in 1999, the game was released in 2001, near its end. The story of G1 was, iirc, completed just about 6 months before its release. It was a long process of trial and error. imo bjoern is as piranha as it gets.
    Maladiq ist offline

16. #16 Zitieren
    Zitat Zitat von Maladiq Beitrag anzeigen
    Not really. He joined in 1999, the game was released in 2001, near its end. The story of G1 was, iirc, completed just about 6 months before its release. It was a long process of trial and error. imo bjoern is as piranha as it gets.
    its over man... the one moved the wheels are not there anymore.
    Forward ist offline

17. #17 Zitieren
    luck or not, gothic 1 is masterpiece
    Yes,it is,no doubt.

Unfortunately we won't see such games any time soon i'm afraid
    warstrike ist offline

18. #18 Zitieren
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq
    its over man... the one moved the wheels are not there anymore.
    Mike was indeed a great part of PB being PB. But nevertheless, Bjoern is a a Piranha.
    Maladiq ist offline

19. #19 Zitieren
    Warrior
    Zitat Zitat von Roleplayer Beitrag anzeigen
    Any info/rumors on Mike Hoge's departure? Reason, when and where did he go, etc? He was a very passionate developer/designer and certainly the head of Piranha Bytes (and the Gothic nameless hero ) for years.
    rotator ist offline

20. #20 Zitieren
    World of Elex  Avatar von Ravenhearth
    Recently I read an old interview with Mike Hoge about Risen 2. He was still in the team back then. But he said that he had enough of fantasy games iirc.
    Ravenhearth ist offline

Seite 1 von 14 12345812 ... Letzte »