Seite 14 von 14 « Erste ... 371011121314
Ergebnis 261 bis 266 von 266
  1. #261 Zitieren

Metasyntaktische Variable
    Zitat Zitat von shadowtwinz Beitrag anzeigen
    When gothic 3 was in development They said they had huge plans but couldn't acomplish them due to small team tiny budget and 2 years time limited so they rushed gothic 3 after 2 years of development because they needed to release game in time so they rushed it after. So imagine right now how good that game could have been !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm not sure that argument holds water. First of all, the game was in development for 3 years, not 2. G2 NoTR was released in 2003. G3 came out in 2006. That's 3 years. You could actually make the case that it was longer, because usually, development overlaps. So while, for example, the programmers and writers are still fixing bugs on the game that's due in a month, the artists are already creating concepts and assets for the next project. Because their work on the current game is already done. You can't just pay them for twiddling their thumbs, no one can afford that. But let's say it was 3 years.

There's this notion in parts of the community that G3 would have been this uber-game, if only PB had been given more time. Because it supposedly wasn't finished, everyone can imagine it to be their own personal vision of the bestest game ever. It's a bit like the orphan who never met his parents and then imagines them to be rockstars or spies. The fantasy never had to face up to reality.

The truth, from what we know based on what PB themselves said, is that G3 was more or less what they wanted it to be. Yes, it lacked polishing and a lot of details weren't as fleshed out as PB would have liked. But beyond that, PB made exactly what they wanted to make. I already laid out the details, including a translation from a German post by Mike Hoge, here and here in the forum. Maybe check it out.

I'm not overly enthusiastic about ELEX myself, but I'd like you to elaborate a bit more on the "unrealistic" part. What do you mean by that? Can you give specific examples?
    foobar ist offline

2. #262 Zitieren
    Adventurer
    Stamina and combat mechanic, Monsters hp, dash roll as dodge, jetpack. I didn't bother write essay about each of these aspects, just to specify reasons.
    shadowtwinz ist offline

3. #263 Zitieren
    Warrior
    So Björn is doing the music and sfx?! Now that's what I call a big surprise!
    rotator ist offline

4. #264 Zitieren
    Adventurer Avatar von Misanthrope
    Zitat Zitat von foobar Beitrag anzeigen
    The truth, from what we know based on what PB themselves said, is that G3 was more or less what they wanted it to be. Yes, it lacked polishing and a lot of details weren't as fleshed out as PB would have liked. But beyond that, PB made exactly what they wanted to make.
    It did not only lack polish and detail, it lacked content. The number of dialogues and named NPC's progressively dropped as you went further into the world. The more time you invested the more repetitive it became. It wasn't 'supposedly' but clearly unfinished. They simply took a huge bite they could not chew. Make excuses afterwards doesn't change facts. Take for example Xardas and his role in the world of G3. Imagine that everything else was finished and Xardas added last. Now, how long would it take (even for a hobbyist amateur designer) to integrate Xardas the way he was in the final game? For a small team of developers time is of the essence. They had to put in more time (or hire more people).

The possible (imaginary retroactive) solution for this is: PB takes a different approach and develops slightly different (improved) and manageable version of Gothic 2 instead, in the new engine. The New Gothic 3 turns out good, fans are happy, they are happy. The engine becomes stable enough, so they start working on open world Gothic 4. Not everybody is happy but we have two solid games. This happens somewhere at the time of Risen. Risen 2 never happens... (Ok I went too far)

Now, they've made a number of statements throughout the years, which imho, mean and prove nothing (like 'wider audience crap'). It was clear even at the very first glimpse that G3 was not designed with 'backwards compatibility' in mind. I doubt that they even had any clear vision at all except to make this new 'open world' game and use whatever fits from older Gothic. They took it as a technical project, a venture into the unknown, so to speak. Whatever came out as the final product they would've said they made what they wanted to make.
    Misanthrope ist offline

5. #265 Zitieren
    World of Elex  Avatar von Ravenhearth
    Ravenhearth ist offline

6. #266 Zitieren
    Warrior Avatar von The Ore Baron
    Zitat Zitat von ravenhearth Beitrag anzeigen
    Nothing special, honestly. Then again, it can be said about the gameplay of every PB game, so it's not necessarily a problem. I'm putting my hopes into story and setting, for the most part.
    The Ore Baron ist offline

Seite 14 von 14 « Erste ... 371011121314