Home Gothic Gothic II Gothic 3 Gothic 4 Downloads Forums

Ergebnis 1 bis 12 von 12
  1. Beiträge anzeigen #1
    Adventurer

lordhoff ist offline

Gothic III Merc Training

I'm forcing myself to use those slow two-handed weapons and crossbows to stay in character as a mercenary (happily, I've found that crossbows speed up significantly with training but sadly, two-handers still get the crap beat out of me and I often resort to a one-hander for goblins, snappers, wolves, etc where speed counts). In addition, I'm playing like a rogue from I, lots of thievery, etc. However, that brings up some training/use issues that I've never met before:

- Does anybody teach master of two-handed weapons (level III)? How about Orc slayer (or does that only activate with the initial, rather weak sword?)?

- Haven't run into anyone yet that teaches regeneration? (not strong enough yet but getting close)?

- How the heck does one do the knockout? The only club I know of is the cugile and sneaking up behind someone and hitting them just starts a fight.

- Who teaches murder?

Tried Beliar but its mainly magic stuff or strength, magic ability, or endurance increases.

After this one, I'll be trying one more runthrough as a ranger/nomad (I assume they are allies of sorts). Too bad the ring of water was dropped for this one.

2. Beiträge anzeigen #2
    Veteran Avatar von kojocel

kojocel ist offline
    lordhoff

Glad to see you here! (saw you on GOG forums too).
    I haven't been playing seriously G3 for quite some time now, but I guess I could give you my opinion. Oh, and I only play on Hard difficulty with Alternative Balancing (and AI) on.

1. Large Weapons III
    When I play fighter I always go Large Weapons III. It's the best melee method against non-human NPCs, due to long range / high damage, but I use it for day to day fighting as well (so to speak). When I refer to "best weapon", I am talking about Spin Attack: long right-click + short left-click. This attack affects anyone withing range of hero, which means it's best for aoe purposes (think about those bison herds from Nordmar). Same goes for human NPCs, but here I afford a much more diversity (short attacks (r-click), knockdown (longs r-click + long l-click).
    My advice: try practicing melee combo moves a bit, not on a living target, but as is, and see the differences the same move (for ex. long r-click + short l-click) with every style, and adapt to a fight accordingly.

2. Regeneration
    I always pick that up. Sure, you can always open inventory during a fight (it pauses the fight unfortunately) and drink up potions, but it kinda takes away the beauty of the encounter. And since Regeneration is % of max HP, keep in mind that if your HP goes 700+, or even 1000+ it makes a huge difference.

3. Knockdown
    You got the mechanics right, you need a blunt weapon for it (cudgel as you said or a staff, for example) and then you do a charged attack from behind (hold long l-click). I don't remember the need of sneaking for this purpose, but I guess there must be no witnesses either.

4. Murder
    If I remember correctly, Ugrasal in Ishtar teaches Murder, so you'll need reputation with Hashishin to enter the city and train.

5. Extra
    Check your G3 installation folder for a .pdf file called CP_1_7x_Manual. I highly recommend you read that, it clarifies many aspects in the game.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I also remembered there is a Gothic series database http://mondgesaenge.de/PORTAL/ There's a lot of info in German, but you can get it in English as well.
    "We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde
    Zone Survival Guide: Shadow of Chernobyl / Call of Pripyat
    Geändert von kojocel (11.05.2013 um 08:42 Uhr)

3. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #3
    Veteran Avatar von CrashMorraKan

CrashMorraKan ist offline
    weapons III you can only learn in Nordmar.
    Regeneration only Rhobar II and Khan teaching it. (useless with patches 1.74-1.75 imo and you only get almost in end game)
    the Knockout you must learn the skill first, then you stand behind ppl/orcs and hold left click. also works with pick axes and other blunt weapon. (check my video in youtube where i show a bit of knockout skill. the vid callled "gothic 3 thief skills and MESS"
    and that's right, Murder only Ugrasal teaches.

4. Beiträge anzeigen #4
    Fighter

MikeLitoris ist offline
    IIRC Hogar from Wolf clan teaches orc slayer and large weapons III. I always preferred 1 handers to 2 handers in Gothic 3 because you're faster and get a shield which increases your armor A LOT with heavy armor skill learned.

5. Beiträge anzeigen #5
    Adventurer

lordhoff ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von kojocel Beitrag anzeigen
    lordhoff

Glad to see you here! (saw you on GOG forums too).
    I haven't been playing seriously G3 for quite some time now, but I guess I could give you my opinion. Oh, and I only play on Hard difficulty with Alternative Balancing (and AI) on.

1. Large Weapons III
    When I play fighter I always go Large Weapons III. It's the best melee method against non-human NPCs, due to long range / high damage, but I use it for day to day fighting as well (so to speak). When I refer to "best weapon", I am talking about Spin Attack: long right-click + short left-click. This attack affects anyone withing range of hero, which means it's best for aoe purposes (think about those bison herds from Nordmar). Same goes for human NPCs, but here I afford a much more diversity (short attacks (r-click), knockdown (longs r-click + long l-click).
    My advice: try practicing melee combo moves a bit, not on a living target, but as is, and see the differences the same move (for ex. long r-click + short l-click) with every style, and adapt to a fight accordingly.

I tried different combinations - didn't know about how to do the spin move. I assumed one needed "weapons III" to do it. Know about the long hold for left and right click that gives the powerful overhead swing but, oh, that delay afterwards.

2. Regeneration
    I always pick that up. Sure, you can always open inventory during a fight (it pauses the fight unfortunately) and drink up potions, but it kinda takes away the beauty of the encounter. And since Regeneration is % of max HP, keep in mind that if your HP goes 700+, or even 1000+ it makes a huge difference.

I'd like to get it but, from another post, it doesn't look like I can. For the late game (I assume means after choosing), since I'm going with Beliar (as a merc) and will be helping General Lee (is his second in command General Jackson? ) Robar isn't going to be amused.

3. Knockdown
    You got the mechanics right, you need a blunt weapon for it (cudgel as you said or a staff, for example) and then you do a charged attack from behind (hold long l-click). I don't remember the need of sneaking for this purpose, but I guess there must be no witnesses either.

Aha! Thanks.

4. Murder
    If I remember correctly, Ugrasal in Ishtar teaches Murder, so you'll need reputation with Hashishin to enter the city and train.

I may or may not get into Ishtar - been kind of playing it both ways - whoever is willing to pay gets my services.

5. Extra
    Check your G3 installation folder for a .pdf file called CP_1_7x_Manual. I highly recommend you read that, it clarifies many aspects in the game.

I'll have a look; may have read it (a long time ago) but my memory is getting weak these days.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I also remembered there is a Gothic series database http://mondgesaenge.de/PORTAL/ There's a lot of info in German, but you can get it in English as well.
    OK; I need to add some letters outside of your quotes so this sentance is my added letters

6. Beiträge anzeigen #6
    Adventurer

lordhoff ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von CrashMorraKan Beitrag anzeigen
    weapons III you can only learn in Nordmar.
    Regeneration only Rhobar II and Khan teaching it. (useless with patches 1.74-1.75 imo and you only get almost in end game)
    the Knockout you must learn the skill first, then you stand behind ppl/orcs and hold left click. also works with pick axes and other blunt weapon. (check my video in youtube where i show a bit of knockout skill. the vid callled "gothic 3 thief skills and MESS"
    and that's right, Murder only Ugrasal teaches.
    Robar is probably not possible for me; Khan doesn't ring a bell so I'm guessing he is in Ishtar.

Nordmar was my guess - they are, after all, the big ax users. Too bad Gorn won't teach me; I'm sure he is "weapons III".

MikeL.: so far, I agree with the one hander concept - the two handers have been a constant frustration for me in this play through and I don't get the long range thing (however, my main weapon until recently was the bearded ax so that may be why). The longsword and some others gives more range then the bearded ax IMO. I'm using the order sword at the moment - that does seem to have good range (similar to staves).
    Geändert von lordhoff (12.05.2013 um 06:53 Uhr)

7. Beiträge anzeigen #7
    Fighter

MikeLitoris ist offline
    If you want a good 2 hander buy an orcish, unused one, I think there is one to be bought in Geldern. IIRC even the used orcish halberd has 120-125 dmg and HUGE range but it requires 400 strength. And if you have a fully upgraded Gothic 3, you know with CM, QP, CP and all you can even find claw of Beliar if you chose the right option during installation and it only requires large weapons II

8. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #8

Zitat Zitat von MikeLitoris Beitrag anzeigen
    If you want a good 2 hander buy an orcish, unused one, I think there is one to be bought in Geldern. IIRC even the used orcish halberd has 120-125 dmg and HUGE range but it requires 400 strength. And if you have a fully upgraded Gothic 3, you know with CM, QP, CP and all you can even find claw of Beliar if you chose the right option during installation and it only requires large weapons II
    can you put in spoilers where to get the 2handed claw of beliar? i only found the one handed sold by Xardas.

9. Beiträge anzeigen #9
    Fighter

MikeLitoris ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von CrashMorraKan Beitrag anzeigen
    can you put in spoilers where to get the 2handed claw of beliar? i only found the one handed sold by Xardas.
    I haven't found it myself yet, I didn't even know there was a 1handed version of Claw of Beliar

Spoiler:(zum lesen bitte Text markieren)
    "Claw of Beliar = made a rune: The runic magic has gone out in G3, hence, the rune is a useless stone only.
    kept: the sword is at Sigmor's chest. (Sigmor's chest key can be also received with pickpocketing)
    given to Saturas: Saturas has thrown the sword in the sea and, hence, it isn't present in the game. " That's copy-pasted from the Readme_CM_eng

Sigmor is the black mage in Bakaresh who teaches you mana regeneration. I'm guessing it's the cave behind Beliar temple, where teleporter stone is located too.

http://www.worldofgothic.de/misc/tel...nBakaresh2.jpg

http://www.worldofgothic.com/images/...sh_BenSala.jpg

10. Beiträge anzeigen #10
    Veteran Avatar von kojocel

kojocel ist offline
    lordhoff,

1. Weapons range
    That axe (Bearded Axe) is shorter than a one-handed longsword, and to be frank, I only use it the arena fights, or after getting 75%+ reputation in a city (this way I may attack an NPC and beat him down, without others interfere), and just for the fun of it.

A small advice: you can use a "two"-handed weapon without the perk Large Weapons, and that weapon is Spear (60 dmg). After you get the perk, I recommend switching to Halberd (70 dmg) for the purpose on aoe on pack of monsters.
    I my playthroughs I usually do that, and only switch from Halberd to Krush Tarach (210 dmg) when I have required STR / Perk. Krush Tarach is the halberd the orc are usually carrying.
    It is the longest weapon in game (and with highest end damage, obtained by normal means), followed closely by Halberd.
    This means: 210 (default) + 10 (sharpen weapons) + 10 (bless - you find only one scroll in game and I always keep it for it, in case you don't go mage way) = 240 dmg.
    Several orcs sell the weapon: quartermaster in Cape Dun, smith in Trelis, and some orc in Geldern (not sure). It costs 800 gold coins.

About Spin Attack: please keep in mind that two-handed weapons specialization is the most endurance consuming, so if you perform keyboard combo for the attack and you're very low on endurance, you'll only do a normal swing.

2. Regeneration
    Only King Rhobar and Khan can teach you that.
    You don't need to choose a god to learn it. If you want to learn it from Khan you need
    to destroy all rebel camps in Myrtana + Vengard, without even setting foot in Varant or Nordmar. But it it advisable to do this as late as possible (don't forget about Lee, for example).

I hope this helps.
    Cheers.
    "We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde
    Zone Survival Guide: Shadow of Chernobyl / Call of Pripyat

11. Beiträge anzeigen #11
    Adventurer

lordhoff ist offline
    Yes; interesting. I did start with the spear but went to the bearded ax because of its higher value (70+10 = 80, I believe). The order sword gives 120+10 if I remember correctly). Not strong enough for those Orc weapons. I'm really not all that far along - still wearing light armor.

12. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #12

Zitat Zitat von MikeLitoris Beitrag anzeigen
    I haven't found it myself yet, I didn't even know there was a 1handed version of Claw of Beliar

"Claw of Beliar = made a rune: The runic magic has gone out in G3, hence, the rune is a useless stone only.
    kept: the sword is at Sigmor's chest. (Sigmor's chest key can be also received with pickpocketing)
    given to Saturas: Saturas has thrown the sword in the sea and, hence, it isn't present in the game. " That's copy-pasted from the Readme_CM_eng

Sigmor is the black mage in Bakaresh who teaches you mana regeneration. I'm guessing it's the cave behind Beliar temple, where teleporter stone is located too.

http://www.worldofgothic.de/misc/tel...nBakaresh2.jpg

http://www.worldofgothic.com/images/...sh_BenSala.jpg

well... i always choose the "i kept" the option in the installer, since i REALLY love the claw of beliar in gothic 2. so i always kept.
    i going to be pure paladin with two hander. i got my old sword from that island near bakaresh xD maybe some magic: fire ball or ice lance and probably healing. but mainly everything to strength and helping all the good guys aka rebels,nomads,rangers and nordmar.