Home Risen Risen2 Risen3 Forum English Russian

Registrieren Hilfe Kalender Heutige Beiträge
Seite 2 von 2 « Erste 12
Ergebnis 21 bis 31 von 31
  1. #21 Zitieren

Metasyntaktische Variable
    Zitat Zitat von Bastardo Beitrag anzeigen
    Yes, personal computers cost more.
    That actually depends very much on how you calculate the costs.
    foobar ist gerade online

2. #22 Zitieren
    Knight Commander
    As far as I can see, for the same price as an Xbox 360, I can get a more powerful laptop. Said laptop even has a decent screen and can be used for a lot of stuff other than than gaming. If I don't require a screen and go for a PC, I'll get even better. And at the cost of two consoles, I can get a second laptop or PC once my the first one goes bust. With even better specs. Also, consoles cost a lot more back when they were released, but the same rule still applied.

When it comes to purely the hardware, PCs were always cheaper than consoles.
    My skin for Opera Web Browser.[Bild: tOC_sig1.jpg]
    Nisarg ist offline

3. #23 Zitieren
    Demigod Avatar von Bastardo
    Zitat Zitat von foobar Beitrag anzeigen
    That actually depends very much on how you calculate the costs.
    One way would be to get specs on a few current-gen consoles and compare the average prices of those consoles and a couple PCs with somewhat equivalent hardware, maybe at several different points in time. But then there's the problem that those PCs would perform a lot worse at gaming and the consoles would only perform three or four entertainment-related functions as opposed to, you know, do anything.
    Bastardo ist offline Geändert von Bastardo (26.03.2013 um 20:15 Uhr)

4. #24 Zitieren

Yes, that is part of the problem. If you restrict your perspective on “gaming hardware” with comparable performance, the console might be less expensive. We don’t know the prices yet but uniform, mass produced items with perhaps a little subvention from the manufacturer can in theory be cheaper than a PC of similar gaming performance. On the other hand, the new consoles will probably be little more than PCs (x86 hardware) with a special operating system. And you can get pretty cheap x86 computers as mass produced components. If Valve succeeds with its Steambox, many PC games will be ported to Linux (the designated Steambox OS), giving you a free gaming OS for you PC, removing the need for a Windows license. And you already mentioned that a PC can do more, so if you need a PC anyway, you’ll have to compare the costs for a console on one side to just upgrading that basic PC to a gaming PC on the other.

And those are just the acquisition costs. But there’s also the TCO (total cost of ownership). For example, there’s the price of games (usually 5-20€ more for console), so the console is only cheaper up to a certain number of game purchases. Another aspect is long-term compatibility. Each new console generation is usually incompatible with the last one, so you need to buy more of less everything anew. A modern gaming PC however can still run games from 10, 15 or 20 years ago. Then we have the manufacturer’s control over the console. The PS3, for instance, actually lost functionality over the years. OtherOS support or SACD support were features that were advertised and that people paid for only to have them taken away by Sony. We also should consider repair costs. When your console breaks after the warranty expires, you can basically only buy a new one. Due to a PC’s modular design, it’s much easier to replace defective components.

Bottom line: It very much depends on the user’s requirements and preferences whether or not a console is actually less expensive. Personally, I’d wager that in most cases, it is not. But that is just an educated guess without any statistical data to back it up.
    foobar ist gerade online Geändert von foobar (26.03.2013 um 21:31 Uhr)

5. #25 Zitieren
    Knight Avatar von TheDoctor
    Zitat Zitat von Nisarg Beitrag anzeigen
    As far as I can see, for the same price as an Xbox 360, I can get a more powerful laptop.
    Wait.. you know a place where I can buy a laptop for 100-200€ that can play Far Cry 3, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and GTAV?

I've recently been looking around for a better laptop. Please link me up.

Then we have the manufacturer’s control over the console. The PS3, for instance, actually lost functionality over the years. OtherOS support or SACD support were features that were advertised and that people paid for only to have them taken away by Sony.
    So much functionality lost. How I miss being able to switch from playing games to doing my homework on an outdated version Ubuntu installed on my PS3. All jokes aside, I can understand companies that used PS3's as cheap processing computers and used LINUX to connect them together. But players whining over this drives me mad. It really does. No player used this function, and the few who did probably didn't use it in any meaningful way. Boo hoo, 1984 incoming, let's sue SONY for their violation of my body.

Not to mention the functionalities that has been added over the years (for free). Photo album. Home. The many online TV-shops. VidZone. YouTube support. Facebook integration. Just making a point here, I don't personally use all that junk.

Bottom line: Consoles are better because no idiot is skyping me when I am about to cut off my finger in Heavy Rain in order to save my son. Aw yeah. You know I'm right.
    My Risen short stories
    Gnork & Blargina part: 1, 2, 3
    An unusual meeting (pdf)
    TheDoctor ist offline Geändert von TheDoctor (01.04.2013 um 17:21 Uhr)

6. #26 Zitieren

Zitat Zitat von TheDoctor Beitrag anzeigen
    But players whining over this drives me mad. It really does. No player used this function, and the few who did probably didn't use it in any meaningful way.
    You project your own preferences onto others. Maybe you did not need or use those functions and maybe even the majority of the PS3 did not either. That does not mean there weren't others for whom this (perceived) flexibility was the killer argument.

By the same logic, I could argue that you should be happy with the development of Risen 2. Yes, swimming and diving were removed but most people did not use them anyway. They had no real gameplay use either. And instead you were given so many new features like a monkey, a parrot and firearms. Isn't it much better than Gothic?

BTW: How long is your house cleaning going to take? Because your fanboyism regarding consoles is getting a tad old.
    foobar ist gerade online

7. #27 Zitieren
    Knight Avatar von TheDoctor
    You project your own preferences onto others. Maybe you did not need or use those functions and maybe even the majority of the PS3 did not either. That does not mean there weren't others for whom this (perceived) flexibility was the killer argument.

By the same logic, I could argue that you should be happy with the development of Risen 2. Yes, swimming and diving were removed but most people did not use them anyway. They had no real gameplay use either. And instead you were given so many new features like a monkey, a parrot and firearms. Isn't it much better than Gothic?
    Straw man. I never said people should be content without otherOS. Neither did I say it had no use. Neither did I say that people should be happy anyways because they got all these other features.

You were simply making a point about functionality lost (one feature) disregarding functionality gained (multiple features).
    BTW: How long is your house cleaning going to take? Because your fanboyism regarding consoles is getting a tad old.
    As long as I find it thoroughly, childishly amusing.
    My Risen short stories
    Gnork & Blargina part: 1, 2, 3
    An unusual meeting (pdf)
    TheDoctor ist offline

8. #28 Zitieren
    Knight
    Bah, i was Pc gamer so far, but i'm starting to think about getting myself PS4. PS in general seems to have these awesome games like Ni no Kuni, and it'd be ashame to miss such games....
    Zocky ist offline

9. #29 Zitieren
    Knight Commander
    Modding. That even possible for consoles? Also, I read something posted a few posts ago that I noticed only now - did you say that one of the big new features of the PS4 is that you can plug in headphones directly into the PS4 controller? Are you aware that there are wireless headphones as well as headphones with really long wires? Or that you need neither to use neither with a PC because normal earphones atill have wires long enough for this purpose?

Also a game that's less addictive than another game cannot possibly be more emotionally engaging than the other game.

And, no, current consoles are very inferior to the PC when it comes to graphics. Look at all those muddy low-res textures.

And that point about IRL violence is bullshit.

P.S. I'm not posting a full reply (point to point, every para quoted separately) because I surf WoP using mobile network. I can't possibly be arsed to tether my phone to my laptop right now.
    My skin for Opera Web Browser.[Bild: tOC_sig1.jpg]
    Nisarg ist offline

10. #30 Zitieren
    banned
    AggroBuLLeT ist offline

11. #31 Zitieren
    Mythos Avatar von Onisuzume
    Heh, rubbish.
    Who needs 8GB of DRR5 when you can have 64GB of DRR3 (excessive, I know)?

Besides, PCs offer tons of functions that consoles don't.
    Gamemods anyone? Community Patches?
    A better idea, dev-wise, would be to make it actually worthwile.
    They got the code, and it works, now how about we make it fun/worthwhile?
    Onisuzume ist offline

Seite 2 von 2 « Erste 12