RPGs like Gothic?

Ones I already know:

Two Worlds
    TES
    Fable
    Dragon Age Origins
    Risen
    Kingdoms of Amalur

Anybody know RPG game that is VERY similar to Gothic?

2. Beiträge anzeigen #2
    General Avatar von KGS

KGS ist offline
    if you think that dragon age origins is similar to gothic you might as well try neverwinter nights 2
    Spoiler:(zum lesen bitte Text markieren)
    they are similar to each other, not to gothic

3. Beiträge anzeigen #3
    Skinhead  Avatar von Hellbilly

Hellbilly ist offline
    I suppose Divinity II is a fit. Also, if a fantasy setting isn't a must, Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas.

4. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #4
    Demigod Avatar von Bastardo

Bastardo ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von MikeLitoris Beitrag anzeigen
    There are games with a few features similar to Gothic, but there is no Quake to its Doom or Fifa to its PES. I know 'cause this is a common topic on this forum and I have yet to hear of anything really similar to Gothic. But hey, this is just another point in these games' favour.

5. Beiträge anzeigen #5
    Knight Commander Avatar von TudoracheMG

TudoracheMG ist offline
    The closest, and I mean THE CLOSEST game that you will get to Gothic is the Pirates of the Carribean Sea game by Bethesda, especially with its massive fan-made mod

6. Beiträge anzeigen #6
    Hero Avatar von .†.MikeL.†.

.†.MikeL.†. ist offline
    Arx Fatalis is a common suggestion when someone wants a similar game to Gothic, there's also Dungeon Lords which is utter crap in my opinion and also Dark Messiah but since you mentioned DAO which is nothing like Gothic I would say that you are simply looking for a good RPG to play, Bioware games is the best bet when it comes that (BG2, KOTOR, ME, NWN etc.)

7. Beiträge anzeigen #7
    General Avatar von KGS

KGS ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von .†.MikeL.†. Beitrag anzeigen
    Bioware games is the best bet when it comes that (BG2, KOTOR, ME, NWN etc.)
    and jade empire, don't know why people miss that

8. Beiträge anzeigen #8
    Apprentice

asddsa ist offline
    Ones I already know:

Two Worlds
    TES
    Fable
    Dragon Age Origins
    Risen
    Kingdoms of Amalur

Only Risen from this list could be comparable to Gothic, but if you're looking for a good RPG, I know of one that hasn't been mentioned by others yet - Vampire: the Masquerade, Bloodlines.

Quite surprisingly, excellent plot for such a stupid theme like vampires, very amusing dialogues, interesting character-building. Just make sure you patch it, the vanilla version is even buggier than raw G3 (I dare you all to compare).

9. Beiträge anzeigen #9
    Voodoo Child  Avatar von Nero Leto

Nero Leto ist offline
    mate, my experiece told me, looking for a game like gothic is like running after a lost love. and i mean, that lost love was a sort of jessica alba calibre - one, unless you clone her, you wont find again

gothic has always been THE game for me, so i know what its like buying a bunch of stuff, then saying 'meh' and ending up dissapointed because it doesnt fulfill your expectations.

get the whole 'a 2nd game like gothic' out of your head and you will find that there are some fantastic other games out there. classy games are simply unique, gothic is one of them.

anyways, if you remain with saying ' i want something as close to gothic as possible' - then you pretty much have played all the relevant 'close' games anyways. TES was great, but unlike gothic, it doesnt have this dark atmospheric flair. it does, however, give you huge amounts of freedom in a gigantic world, which again makes it great.
    two worlds was alright. you have played it right? what did you think of it? in my opinion it started off great, but then went downhill and bored me. theres a two worlds 2 out though - if you didnt play it, give it a shot.

other than that, what about opening up to a slightely different genre in the meantime. i mean, one game that also has a very dark sort of dangerous and gloomy atmosphere was STALKER shadow of chernobyl. obviously, you wont find guys like diego, gorn and thorus standing around sending you from one quest to another. still, the whole feeling of being in this wasteland of a region in chernobyl is great.
    talking about wasteland - fallout 3? again, different - but you know where i am getting at, yeh?

other good rpgs that come to mind are : THE WITCHER and star wars knights of the old republic 1+2

hope i could help

10. Beiträge anzeigen #10
    Fighter

MikeLitoris ist offline
    I'm sorry guys, I failed. The RPGs I listed are those I already played/tried, I don't consider all of them similar to Gothic. My fault guys, sorry for misleading you.

I've heard of NWN and I know its more like DA:O than Gothic so nah.

I've played Divinity 2 and actually forgot I played it . Well it was buggy and laggy on my comp and though the dragon thing was kind of cool at first it soon started to bore me. Still, glad I played it cause of Dragon :P

Anything by Bethesda is automatically excluded. These guys have no imagination at all, those game worlds and characters feel like I'm playing a fucking board game or something. I'll only give Skyrim a shot cause my friend(also a Gothic fan and TES hater) told me that its the first decent TES game and that its actually fun to play and similar to G3 with its beautiful, open world.

I've heard about STALKER a few years ago and meant to play it but never did. I saw a review of it in a magazine and I instantly thought of Gothic because the atmosphere seemed dark. Now that you mention it, I'll try that too.

And yes, I realize now that its hopeless looking for a game like Gothic. I'll try Skyrim and STALKER and if that doesn't do , I'll play some medieval strategy game, didn't play any RTS games for a looooooong time :P. Now that I mentioned it, anybody know a good medieval strategy game with an active online fanbase ?

11. Beiträge anzeigen #11

Nero Leto ist offline
    Age of Empires

with an active online fanbase ?
    oh, wait...

Sadly, I find myself in a similar dilemma, for there arent any good real-time strategy games set in tat particular time anymore. i mean, unless you are willing to play age of empires II.
    other than that, i dont know how much you are into round-based strategy games.
    -medieval total war (total war series in general) is very good and combines roundbased strategy with real time battles

apart from that, the paradox interactive games have always been my little favourites. though, not everyone likes them. they are very diplomacy and strategy based. you wont find any realtime battles. have a look at Europa Universalis 3 and Crusader Knights 2 though. They also do Victoria 2 which is before WW1 (and during?) and Hearts of Iron (of which HoI 3 is the newest), which is set during WW2.

google will give you the answer

12. Beiträge anzeigen #12
    Fighter

MikeLitoris ist offline
    Well I like some TBS(turn based strategies) like Heroes III but I'm not sure if there is anybody still playing that old gem :P

13. Beiträge anzeigen #13
    Hero Avatar von .†.MikeL.†.

.†.MikeL.†. ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von KGS Beitrag anzeigen
    and jade empire, don't know why people miss that
    Haven't played that game but you could always place it in the "etc" part.

Well I like some TBS(turn based strategies) like Heroes III but I'm not sure if there is anybody still playing that old gem :P
    Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX), Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together (SNES & PSX) and Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis (GBA). Absolute masterpieces when it comes to SRPGs.

14. Beiträge anzeigen #14

TudoracheMG ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Nero Leto Beitrag anzeigen
    Age of Empires

oh, wait...

Sadly, I find myself in a similar dilemma, for there arent any good real-time strategy games set in tat particular time anymore. i mean, unless you are willing to play age of empires II.
    other than that, i dont know how much you are into round-based strategy games.
    -medieval total war (total war series in general) is very good and combines roundbased strategy with real time battles

apart from that, the paradox interactive games have always been my little favourites. though, not everyone likes them. they are very diplomacy and strategy based. you wont find any realtime battles. have a look at Europa Universalis 3 and Crusader Knights 2 though. They also do Victoria 2 which is before WW1 (and during?) and Hearts of Iron (of which HoI 3 is the newest), which is set during WW2.

google will give you the answer
    I think Pirates of the Carribean was published by Bethesda, not developed by them. Trust me when I say it's the most Gothic game you will ever get, the reason why it is overlooked is because it is very buggy and unstable

15. Beiträge anzeigen #15
    Skinhead  Avatar von Hellbilly

Hellbilly ist offline
    ^AFAIK it was developed by some Russian team, and re-branded as "Pirates Of The Caribbean" in pretty much the last minute, originally being developed as a sequel to Sea Dogs. I've actually got PoTC somewhere but never played it. I also have the original, which was fun but utterly unbalanced.

16. Beiträge anzeigen #16

Nero Leto ist offline
    i actually got the game. i bought it many many years ago when it first came out, though i vagely remember any of the gameplay. all i do remember is running from one inn to the other and hireing crew members.

17. Beiträge anzeigen #17

TudoracheMG ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Hellbilly Beitrag anzeigen
    ^AFAIK it was developed by some Russian team, and re-branded as "Pirates Of The Caribbean" in pretty much the last minute, originally being developed as a sequel to Sea Dogs. I've actually got PoTC somewhere but never played it. I also have the original, which was fun but utterly unbalanced.
    That is true

18. Beiträge anzeigen #18
    General Avatar von KGS

KGS ist offline
    i'd suggest the witcher if you haven't played it, it's nice

19. Beiträge anzeigen #19
    Fighter

MikeLitoris ist offline
    Hmmm, Skyrim seems decent so far, at least while playing as a mage. But I only played it for an hour or so. It is definitely more similar to Gothic than previous TES games.

20. Beiträge anzeigen #20
    Knight Avatar von Stalagmite

Stalagmite ist offline
    Dungeon Lords