Home Gothic Gothic II Gothic 3 Gothic 4 Downloads Forums

Ergebnis 1 bis 7 von 7
  1. Beiträge anzeigen #1
    Lehrling

Trumpet Player ist offline

GI/GII Hardware audio in Vista / W7 via OpenAL

Gothic I, Gothic II Hardware sound acceleration, several speakers support 4.0, 5.1, Surround for Windows Vista/Windows 7

PlugIn:
    http://BillionUploads.com/oggzljmpvxbz
    OpenAL:
    http://connect.creativelabs.com/open...ds/oalinst.zip

If Creative site does not respond please search for oalinst.exe in internet. Also some games have that file in installations, you may have it.

Default DirectSound Hardware Support plugin is replaced with another, that one uses OpenAL.

1. Back up Miles directory of Gothic I/Gothic II games
    2. Install OpenAL
    3. Unpack the plugin archive into Miles directory of Gothic I/Gothic II games (replace the existing file)
    4. Run the game, choose Options/Audio Settings/Sound Provider = "DirectSound3D HW" (Speaker setting does not matter)
    5. Exit the game and run it again
    6. All 3D sounds will be played via OpenAL (default OpenAL sound device will be used), movies sound - via DirectSound.

Please feedback about results and problems.
    Geändert von Trumpet Player (15.12.2012 um 00:49 Uhr)

2. Beiträge anzeigen #2
    Lehrling

Sorry, guys. The first archive was wrong. Now link refers the archive with two M3D files - one for G I, and the other is for G II.

3. Beiträge anzeigen #3
    Schwertmeister Avatar von bigsnappy

bigsnappy ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Trumpet Player Beitrag anzeigen
    Default DirectSound Hardware Support plugin is replaced with another, that one uses OpenAL.
    Why would people want to use OpenAL instead of the Default plugin?
    Can you at least explain us the advantage?
    Everything is relative... until it bites.

4. Beiträge anzeigen #4
    Lehrling

Well, I agree, most people don't need that thing.

But some of them suffer a lot (and I was some of them) because of Microsoft politics in Windows Vista release.

I will remember you - Windows Vista became to use a different way of hardware management, it gave both advantages (like quicker Direct3D 10 interfaces), and disadvantages - DirectSound lost hardware support.

In Windows XP owners of multispeaker audio systems (4.0, 5.1, 7.1) could benefit from using surround sounds in games - audio cards calculated the direction of the sound and used the proper speakers to produce it. Laking of hardware support in DirectSound in Vista and 7 drove many good games to use stereo only output. That was a huge impact.

However, DirectSound is not the only API for sound programming. Creative has (well, mostly had) an alternative called OpenAL. OpenAL drivers are supplied by audio card manufactures, and usage of OpenAL allows to evade DirectSound limitations. You may know that many games using OpenAL continued to work correctly (to produce surround sound) in Vista and forth.

Many games lost the feature. Creative tried to solve that problem releasing Creative Alchemy. That software caught DirectSound calls and directed them into OpenAL API. That was a great influence on many games. Unfortunately Gothic was not one of them. Later Realtek created its own version called 3D Soundback. It didn't work with Gothic either.

Two years ago I spent a lot of time to make Gothic to produce surround sound in W7. A little hacking of registry made Alchemy to work with 3D sounds (and I wrote that on several forums, including Creative one). But movies sounds disappeared (because of bugs in Alchemy).

Now there is a completely different solution - it catches calls to sound API before they reach DirectSound. It simplified the whole process of OpenAL usage. No registry hacking, no Alchemy installation, just OpenAL and M3D file.

Now people can enjoy their multispeaker sound systems with their favorite Gothic I and Gothic II games.

Have I answered your question?

5. Beiträge anzeigen #5
    Warrior Avatar von The Ore Baron

The Ore Baron ist offline
    ...whatever it is you did, it sure looks like a lot of help for some people. For that, you have my thanks

6. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #6
    Provinzheld

-Fritz- ist offline
    >But movies sounds disappeared (because of bugs in Alchemy).
    What version of alchemy do you use?
    Geändert von -Fritz- (16.12.2012 um 14:02 Uhr)

7. Beiträge anzeigen #7
    Neuling

KILLACONNI ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Trumpet Player Beitrag anzeigen
    Could someone reupload that? I'm dying here to get Gothic 1 & 2 back in surround sound.
    But seriuosly, if someone would upload those files it'd be simply amazing.

EDIT:
    Found it, please download here.

Thanks to Trumpet Player.

And should you ever read this: Do you have any idea about how to get Alchemy-EAX back in Gothic I/II?
    (To be precise: EAX-effects translated into OpenAL?)
    Thanks anyway for your work so far. You're awesome.
    Geändert von KILLACONNI (24.03.2013 um 19:58 Uhr)