Home Gothic Gothic II Gothic 3 Gothic 4 Downloads Forums

Umfrageergebnis anzeigen: Which camp do you identify the most with?

• The Old Camp

16 31,37%
  • The New Camp

22 43,14%
  • The Swamp Camp

13 25,49%

Teilnehmer
51. Du darfst bei dieser Umfrage nicht abstimmen
Seite 1 von 3 123 Letzte »
Ergebnis 1 bis 20 von 41
  1. Beiträge anzeigen #1
    Provinzheld Avatar von Nikolai81

Nikolai81 ist offline

The three camps of Gothic 1

The three camps of Gothic 1 have intrigued me in a way that factions from other games haven't been able to match. Out of curiosity I'd like to hear which of these three views you identify the most with, and if you have any alternative interpretations about the camps.

Imagine yourself in the shoes of the Nameless Hero after having recently arrived in the colony and paid your first visit to each of the three camps. You're considering which one to align yourself with.

1) The Old Camp is the clear choice. That's where Diego led me to, who was the first friendly face I encountered in the colony. It's also where I can earn a profit and get a "foot in the door" by delivering the letter to the Fire Magicians. Furthermore it's the power base of the colony, with the most commerce and entertainment (In Extremo!), and it probably offers the most luxuries as I work my way up the hierarchy. It seems to offer the best protection as well. Perhaps I can become an Ore Baron myself, and exercise my power over the peasants and miners. Security, discipline, entertainment, and opportunity for wealth and power by working the system; I'd be a fool to go anywhere else.

2) The New Camp is the clear choice. While the authorities over at the Old Camp are concerned with upholding the status quo and profiting from it by trading with the King, the people at the New Camp are actively seeking a way to free themselves from the barrier. Radical change and liberation is the only worthy end, given these circumstances. There seems to be far more freedom there for anyone strong enough to stand up to lowly thugs such as the "Rice Lord" and his men, than in any other camp. Lee's mercenaries and the water mages aren't decadent like the "Ore Barons" and fire magicians of the Old Camp seem to be, either. Nor are they drug-addled lunatics like the "gurus" and their mindless followers at the Swamp Camp. Freedom, good company, and a proactive approach to liberating myself, is the only way to go.

3) The Swamp Camp is the clear choice. At the Old Camp and New Camp I'm bossed around by authoritative fascists or lowly thugs, but at the Swamp Camp I'm welcomed with open arms and even offered a free ration of weed each day. Lester is one of the most genuinely friendly people I've met here, and his people require very little of me; I'm welcome to stay without working or paying protection money. They're deeply spiritual people, and their templars seem to be genuinely righteous warriors who's capable of protecting the camp; perhaps I can serve a good cause and save some lives by joining them in their patrols against the mine crawlers and swamp sharks. Besides, my intuition tells me that this Sleeper merits further investigation, and what better way to do it than as a member of the Swamp Camp.

Which line of thought do you identify the most with, and are there any good arguments I've missed so far?

P.S. I was hoping to be able to post a poll, but I didn't see an option for it. Oh well.
    "Das war's mit dir, du Mistvieh!"
    "Verdammte Enten!"
    Geändert von Nikolai81 (29.11.2012 um 23:17 Uhr)

2. Beiträge anzeigen #2
    Skinhead  Avatar von Hellbilly

Hellbilly ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Nikolai81 Beitrag anzeigen
    P.S. I was hoping to be able to post a poll, but I didn't see an option for it. Oh well.
    Only mods can do that on WoG. But anyhow, I added the poll.

3. Beiträge anzeigen #3
    General Avatar von Khaled

Khaled ist offline
    I don't really believe there actually was someone who joined the Sect Camp or the New Camp the first time they played the game. Anyway, if I am to select one of your line of thoughts I'll go with New Camp...yes, it's ok to have money, power and wealth, but it's better to get the hell out of that colony and explore the big world out there!

4. Beiträge anzeigen #4
    General Avatar von KGS

KGS ist offline
    i'd go with the sect camp
    blowing up an insane amount of magical ore would never sound safe to me, as NH says in G2 "you would have blown yourself sky high"
    and in the sect camp you have an easy life and free weed

5. Beiträge anzeigen #5
    Skinhead  Avatar von Hellbilly

Hellbilly ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Khaled Beitrag anzeigen
    I don't really believe there actually was someone who joined the Sect Camp or the New Camp the first time they played the game.
    I did. I joined the Sect Camp, because I though the Sleeper was an interesting being and hoped I'd learn more about it that way... sadly, that wasn't so.

6. Beiträge anzeigen #6
    Fighter Avatar von SkullX

SkullX ist offline
    I never knew I could join other camps till my 3d run or something, back in 2002...I was more or less kinda bad at english and understood the game hardly...maan that was so much fuuuuuuuun!!!!!!!!! me go play G1, bye.
    Old players like us would give theyr ass to forget about the game and re-enjoy it, yep...true that..., im drunk.
    If you even try to look the other way...

7. Beiträge anzeigen #7
    Demigod Avatar von Dino

Dino ist offline
    The New Camp is my style.

8. Beiträge anzeigen #8
    Rookie Avatar von Jackseller

Jackseller ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Hellbilly Beitrag anzeigen
    I did. I joined the Sect Camp, because I though the Sleeper was an interesting being and hoped I'd learn more about it that way... sadly, that wasn't so.
    I did too. I feel in my stead there.
    The mystery of the Sleeper, the beauty of the place, the little houses in the trees, the ambient sounds, the freedom, the way to explore my path... all was there to attract me like a magnet. My favorite camp so far !

9. Beiträge anzeigen #9
    Adventurer Avatar von LastKnownMeal

LastKnownMeal ist offline
    Swamp Camp sounds like a good idea since its a nice community of free people not the cut-throats from the New Camp or annoying guards from the Old Camp (not to mention Mud).

10. Beiträge anzeigen #10
    General Avatar von Khaled

Khaled ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Jackseller Beitrag anzeigen
    I did too. I feel in my stead there.
    The mystery of the Sleeper, the beauty of the place, the little houses in the trees, the ambient sounds, the freedom, the way to explore my path... all was there to attract me like a magnet. My favorite camp so far !
    I dunno, it looked dirty and dark and as far as I remember, the gurus were putting the novices to hard work. Oh well, maybe it's just me, I don't like swamps at all! The weed was good though!

11. Beiträge anzeigen #11
    Veteran Avatar von Ratamahatta

Ratamahatta ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von SkullX Beitrag anzeigen
    I never knew I could join other camps till my 3d run or something, back in 2002...I was more or less kinda bad at english and understood the game hardly...maan that was so much fuuuuuuuun!!!!!!!!! me go play G1, bye.
    Old players like us would give theyr ass to forget about the game and re-enjoy it, yep...true that..., im drunk.
    well yeah, agree with that the first time I wanted to join new camp, but couldn't find out how and yep, I had no clue I had other options with that list of goods (or something like that, which I gave to Diego at once instead of Lares).
    But sect camp was always for me like a holiday resort - the it feels when you entering first
    http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/signaturepics/sigpic104766_2.gif

12. Beiträge anzeigen #12
    Provinzheld Avatar von Nikolai81

Nikolai81 ist offline
    I joined the Sect Camp on my first playthrough as well. The main reason was that I was attracted to playing knightly kind of characters at the time, so I wanted to become a Templar like Cor Angar. It was hard to get a "knightly feeling" when surrounded by undisciplined, drug-addled good-for-nothings, though. The Old Camp offers more discipline and hierarchy, a knightly castle, and more suitable armors, though the people there aren't exactly "virtuous" in any sense of the word, and the game prevents you from committing to them long-term. I've played a mercenary of the New Camp in almost all my subsequent playthroughs.

In my opinion the mercenary camps always seem to have the best kind of atmosphere, as though PB has more passion for mercenaries than for the other factions. At least in Gothic 2, Gothic 3, and Risen. Besides, the Nameless Hero seems to have a mercenary kind of personality; so if I for example play as a fire magician, I feel like I'm playing a mercenary pretending to be a fire magician, which isn't very appealing to me. Likewise, if I become a Paladin in Gothic 2, I get comments like "knowing you, you'll tell people the laws to distract them while picking their pockets".

Gothic 1 is definitely the game where the three camps/factions are closest to each other in terms of quality and atmosphere.

Zitat Zitat von Hellbilly Beitrag anzeigen
    Only mods can do that on WoG. But anyhow, I added the poll.
    Thanks, appreciate it. The poll option colors even seem to match the factions relatively well.
    Geändert von Nikolai81 (02.12.2012 um 23:40 Uhr)

13. Beiträge anzeigen #13
    General Avatar von KGS

KGS ist offline
    i think G2 favors the mages though, in the form of more information late-game

14. Beiträge anzeigen #14
    Apprentice Avatar von Volf

Volf ist offline
    I always preferred the Swamp Loonies in the East. Their camp looks the coolest imo, especially @ night. If I were thrown into the colony, I'd join the followers of the Sleeper, not truly believing but wanting to laze about and blaze the green weed. i'd spend a few years doing as little as I could and maybe learning a few wind spells, until i was strong enough to make my way past the swamp sharks to settle in the mysterious witches grove in the middle of the swamp. no one would bother me excluding the occasional blood fly, and i'd live out the rest of my days in peace before my bones settled into the murky gloom of the marshlands, my legacy fading and ultimately remembered by no one.
    Helm sees All

15. Beiträge anzeigen #15
    Veteran Avatar von Ratamahatta

Ratamahatta ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Nikolai81 Beitrag anzeigen
    Besides, the Nameless Hero seems to have a mercenary kind of personality; so if I for example play as a fire magician, I feel like I'm playing a mercenary pretending to be a fire magician,
    IMHO you're absolutely right! like in g2 in quite a few quests there is always an option to get some extra reward (or even the way of quest completion) by convincing or threatening, even stealing
    http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/signaturepics/sigpic104766_2.gif

16. Beiträge anzeigen #16
    Fighter Avatar von SkullX

SkullX ist offline
    If you'll get thrown in a prison and all that stuff you won't have a charity personality either, you'll just 'screw you...you're meat, *draws sword*'
    If you even try to look the other way...

17. Beiträge anzeigen #17
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq

Maladiq ist offline
    Old Camp all the way. It just feels... right. The sect camp are a bunch of hippies, the new camp are a bunch of thugs. The Old Camp is the closest one can get to an actual city, and not just a gathering of people. Strict discipline and rules, the place with the best opportunities for a newcomer.
    For the most recent Elex news, the new Piranha Bytes RPG, visit us at World of Elex!!!

18. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #18
    Veteran Avatar von CrashMorraKan

CrashMorraKan ist offline
    New Camp. but i like the swamp camp the most to look at, in terms of view.

19. Beiträge anzeigen #19
    Apprentice

attila3453 ist offline
    I liked the Old Camp because it's the most organized of the three camps. The music really gives a sense of security. I especially liked being a fire mage.

20. Beiträge anzeigen #20
    Veteran Avatar von kojocel

kojocel ist offline
    Funny, most impressive character in Gothic 1 is (for me), perhaps, Cor Angar, yet New Camp got my vote. Something about it makes me feel I'd go with them every time.
    "We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde
    Zone Survival Guide: Shadow of Chernobyl / Call of Pripyat

Seite 1 von 3 123 Letzte »