Home Gothic Gothic II Gothic 3 Gothic 4 Downloads Forums

Ergebnis 1 bis 17 von 17
  1. Beiträge anzeigen #1
    Rookie

DucusRadius ist offline

Why is the Gothic series so good ?

Hello guys so... Why do you think the gothic series is so good, what does it do better than other RPG games ?

For me personally is the story, The story just makes me want to play more and more. It is brilliantly well done and thought of. But what about you ?

2. Beiträge anzeigen #2
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq

Maladiq ist offline
    inb4 the gothic feeling comms.
    For the most recent Elex news, the new Piranha Bytes RPG, visit us at World of Elex!!!

3. Beiträge anzeigen #3
    Hero Avatar von .†.MikeL.†.

.†.MikeL.†. ist offline
    The atmosphere and the gameplay, those two things got me hooked from the first second in the game, I still remember that amazing feeling I had when I was exploring Xardas' Tower and seeing the forest down bellow giving me the chills, it was amazing, I just didn't know what to expect from that game and exploring was intense.
    It somehow managed to not be repetitive in any way and thus making it extremely fun to play multiple times, I've literally lost count of how many times I have finished Gothic 2 and am currently considering the hardcore challenge with G2: NotR.

Also it was the first game I had ever seen with so much life in it, the day and night cycles, NPCs talking with each other and all that good stuff.

4. Beiträge anzeigen #4
    Warrior Avatar von The Ore Baron

The Ore Baron ist offline

I'll just quote my post from WoRen.

Zitat Zitat von The Ore Baron Beitrag anzeigen
    >inb4 "teh atmospheres"

For me, Gothic is the prime example of quality world design. The world is very condensed, there's little wasted space, yet every corner is interesting, every square kilometer feels different from another. To put it short, the geography of Gothic is memorable, that's very good. The same applies to Gothic 2 and NotR, but definitely not to Gothic 3 and FG - these games had the most generic, the most boring, the most lazy world design, which is something no community patch will ever fix, forsaking these games to my eternal hatred.

[...]

And that's pretty much all I want to say. Looking retrospectively, the setting of the Gothic games is pretty generic (at least there are no dwarves or elves), the storyline is quite overrated by the community (The Sleeper twist is hardly as fantastic as many of you claim, and the rest of the plot of the Gothic series is relatively simple, really), the general RPG mechanics are quite typical of the genre (looking for teacher instead of just clicking a [+] button does add additional depth to the game, however, as well as making it more interactive in general) and the lore is all over the place, makes my teeth hurt just thinking about it.

[...]

The atmosphere is still worth a mention, though. However, it's nothing magical, really - just a mix of the aforementioned world design, a good soundtrack (why did Kai leave, again?) and daily NPC schedules (chatting between themselves, eating at a fireplace, playing a guitar). All PB games after Gothic 2 - NotR simply featured too few NPCs to really create an illusion of a living world, and those that were featured had very limited daily schedules, putting the whole 'atmosphere' thing in jeopardy. This is especially noticeable in Risen 2.
    Seriously, though - this question has already been discussed hundreds of times. I don't mean to sound... well, mean, but I don't think a new Gothic circle-jerking thread was necessary.

Then again, the forum is quite slow lately, so maybe this was your attempt at revitalizing it - a welcome gesture.

I just hope PB announces their new project some time soon... maybe if it's a Gothic game, we will finally have what to talk about again.

5. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #5
    Fighter Avatar von Darth Crow

Darth Crow ist offline
    Immersion (atmosphere), world design, music... this game is amazing on SO many levels!
    Brothers of Metal will always be there, standing together with hands in the air!

VIVA GOTHIC!

6. Beiträge anzeigen #6
    Ranger

KeeperUTX ist offline
    Gotihc is a real good game. For its time, it was a prime game. Even now people play it because of the action, high quality graphics, and of course the gameplay. I mean, its real good trying to become a Guard/Militia/WhateverinGothic3, but then you'll want to try the next guild that fits you.

In my eyes, Gothic is a game of choice. 8/10, folks!
    The coin is still turning.
    [Bild: tOC_sig1.jpg]

7. Beiträge anzeigen #7
    Ehrengarde Avatar von Chippie

Chippie ist offline
    Because it's made by german guys

8. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #8
    Local Hero Avatar von zrhtemplar

zrhtemplar ist offline
    Same like for every prison movies, take example of prison break ,it was epic ( well at least when they are in joint )

that closed society and atmosphere best game ever !!!

9. Beiträge anzeigen #9
    Apprentice Avatar von sergykid

sergykid ist offline
    it is also a very funny game

the best thing is you have many replies for NPC's questions, and this creates a large variety of conversations and actions

i am not actually a fan of hunting beasts on the forest but is cool thing too

anyways, i like going trough people talking with them searching for things, doing the detective job )

10. Beiträge anzeigen #10
    Rookie

Poordevil ist offline
    To quote the old saw, they just don't make them like this anymore! I am playing Gothic 2 off Steam and I am taken by the open endedness of the game design. It is almost a sandbox in many ways. So many choices and options, not only in choosing tasks or quests, but also in having so much freedom and different methods available to accomplish them.

The game is not easy. In fact it may be too hard for its own good. I am constantly racking my brain while playing this game! It is not frustratingly difficult, but I would say it is not for the casual gamer. Gothic 2 is not RPG lite, lol!

The graphics hold up well playing in wide screen at high resolution. Your character is kind of blocky and stiff moving, but he is well detailed. The whole environment is very well detailed, the textures especially look great. It rains, has day night cycles, moon and stars come out at night, clouds and sun are in the sky during the day. You can swim and dive underwater. You can jump and climb up ledges, sneak.

Great open world RPG for those who find Skyrim a little too straight forward and simple. Gothic is far less streamlined in its design and gameplay. You can get it off Steam pretty cheap, and it runs great on modern hardware and Win7 as downloaded without any additional patching, supporting wide screen and high resolutions. I am having no problems with crashes, freezes, glitches, or anything of the sort.

11. Beiträge anzeigen #11
    Dragonslayer Avatar von Zeri0n

Zeri0n ist offline
    I agree with "The Ore Baron"

btw, if we are going to talk about story, I think that whole Warcraft lore has one of the greatest (and biggest/deepest) stories in gaming industry

12. Beiträge anzeigen #12
    Knight Avatar von Ariogaisus

Ariogaisus ist offline
    Didn't World of Warcraft sodomize the Warcraft lore?

13. Beiträge anzeigen #13
    Dragonslayer Avatar von Zeri0n

Zeri0n ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Ariogaisus Beitrag anzeigen
    Didn't World of Warcraft sodomize the Warcraft lore?
    Hmm, no?

14. Beiträge anzeigen #14
    Apprentice

Andrewww ist offline
    I started playing this series when I was 15 years old back when Gothic 3 was only a rumour. It was my first RPG, before that I only played strategy and shooter games.

I was just amazed on how "real" it looked and felt. Everyone had full voiced dialogues, you could go anywhere you wanted, you could do (almost) anything you wanted. You weren't a superman killing dozens of people. The game had strict rules that were enforced by NPCs (instead of dialogue boxes or manuals). If you entered someone's house without being invited you had to get out at once. There was no tutorial and no hand holding and I loved every second of it.

Now 8 years later and a few dozen RPGs under my belt I still come back and play Gothic 1 and 2. In fact, Gothic 2 NOTR is my favorite RPG and this comes from a guy that has spent hundreds of hours in tons of other games from Elder Scrolls to Dragon Age. The only other series that I love as much is The Witcher. Europeans are so much better at creating believable medieval fantasy worlds.

Most Western RPGs feel generic and "gamey". You don't feel like you talk to a real person, you know it's a voice actor. They also create these massive worlds with intricate architecture that screams "fantasy". At one point they all start to ressemble each other. I never got that impression from playing Gothic 1 and 2.
    Geändert von Andrewww (18.11.2012 um 02:13 Uhr)

15. Beiträge anzeigen #15
    Rookie

Poordevil ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Andrewww Beitrag anzeigen
    I started playing this series when I was 15 years old back when Gothic 3 was only a rumour. It was my first RPG, before that I only played strategy and shooter games.

I was just amazed on how "real" it looked and felt. Everyone had full voiced dialogues, you could go anywhere you wanted, you could do (almost) anything you wanted. You weren't a superman killing dozens of people. The game had strict rules that were enforced by NPCs (instead of dialogue boxes or manuals). If you entered someone's house without being invited you had to get out at once. There was no tutorial and no hand holding and I loved every second of it.

Now 8 years later and a few dozen RPGs under my belt I still come back and play Gothic 1 and 2. In fact, Gothic 2 NOTR is my favorite RPG and this comes from a guy that has spent hundreds of hours in tons of other games from Elder Scrolls to Dragon Age. The only other series that I love as much is The Witcher. Europeans are so much better at creating believable medieval fantasy worlds.

Most Western RPGs feel generic and "gamey". You don't feel like you talk to a real person, you know it's a voice actor. They also create these massive worlds with intricate architecture that screams "fantasy". At one point they all start to ressemble each other. I never got that impression from playing Gothic 1 and 2.
    Yea I also think the Gothic games have a much more earthy feel to them than Elder Scrolls or Dragon Age. In Gothic 3 the towns of Myrtana look hand crafted and organic, as well as being well populated.

16. Beiträge anzeigen #16
    Knight Avatar von Ariogaisus

Ariogaisus ist offline
    This forum doesn't seem to like my favourite game, Dragon Age: Origins.

17. Beiträge anzeigen #17
    Fighter

MikeLitoris ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Ariogaisus Beitrag anzeigen
    This forum doesn't seem to like my favourite game, Dragon Age: Origins.
    Hah funny that you say that, DA O is the only RPG besides Gothic and Risen that I liked and played to the end.

I think that one of the reasons I like Gothic so much is that its the first RPG I've ever played. I remember being 10-11 years old and just derping around Old Camp, enjoying the music and atmosphere, roasting meet etc. I also remember going to swamp camp and hiding from templars to smoke weed cause I thought they'd attack me if I smoke weed(lol). I remember getting beat up by that Lefty guy cause I didn't want to carry water around so when I got stronger I gave him a beating every day of the game just for revenge. I also remember putting up with Mud for a looong time just cause I felt sorry for the guy. But when he ran away when a wolf attacked us I beat him up next time I met him.

Its those little details that make the game beautiful. I'll never have that kind of memories with generic monotone linear RPGs like Oblivion, Skyrim etc. I tried playing those but got bored pretty fast, lasted about 5-6 in Skyrim and 3-4 in Oblivion. I'll give Oblivion one thing though, dunno about Skyrim but Oblivion has a pretty sweet mage system with automatic mana regen and many different spells.