Home Gothic Gothic II Gothic 3 Gothic 4 Downloads Forums

Seite 1 von 3 123 Letzte »
Ergebnis 1 bis 20 von 58
  1. Beiträge anzeigen #1
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq

Maladiq ist offline

Forrest Gump vs. Shawshank Redemption

A lot of people consider Shawshank to be the better movie. It is even voted as the best movie of all times on IMDB. Yet I do not understand why. Nobody gives a single argument for this. So let's debate this. Which movie do you think is better and why?
    For the most recent Elex news, the new Piranha Bytes RPG, visit us at World of Elex!!!

2. Beiträge anzeigen #2
    Chosen One Avatar von rockfest

rockfest ist offline
    If we're talking '94 then, Pulp Fiction

I can hardly say that I remember the topic of Forrest Gump. I saw it, that I know but I it seems that I didn't liked it that much like The Shawshank Redemption where I still know the plot of the movie. That alone already expresses my choice.
    However, to give more arguments to SR (let's call it like that) then you have to consider that the movie puts out a rare quality of humans, self-sacrifice and suicide, etc. (it's a really dramatic movie in my opinion) and these kinds of movies tend to make a fuss.

3. Beiträge anzeigen #3
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq

Maladiq ist offline
    Well, I found SR's plot to be extremely generic. Innocent man goes to prison, has a hard time, has a good time, evil warden, escapes, the end. Forrest had a more elaborate plot, following the whole life of a person, seeing him grow and develop as an individual.

SR tries to make us feel pity for killers, throwing us in a place where the bad guys are not evil and the good guys are. In the end no lessons are learned by anybody. Maybe it was just me, but I pretty much anticipated the plot since the two main characters talked about that little village in Mexico. Not for a second did I expected Andy to commit suicide.

I found FG to have more emphasis on those rare qualities you were talking about, and that was even more impressive seeing how self sacrifice, forgiveness, redemption affect people who have no reason to feel them. They are not doing it because they are constrained in a prison, or because it is the only way to make their lives better, they simply grow and develop.

As for the dramatic part, even if FG is a lot more optimistic, I found its ending to be much more dramatic and bittersweet than SR's.

Now, to take it point by point.

The direction in FG was clearly superior SR's. The director manages to have a million different tones for the scenes without affecting the general tone of the movie. In SR the tone is pretty much the same all over the movie. The really minor characters in FG have more natural reactions and the interaction between every single element in FG is superior to that of SR.

The story is better in FG. The only way I can describe the story in SR is generic. It is far from being bad, yet it still is like the Gothic 2 vanilla plot: generic and boring from time to time.

The script I believe it is equally good in both movies. On a personal level I liked Gump's better because of the funny moments which didn't ruin the tone of the movie.

The actors. Forrest Gump kicks Andy's butt, no fucking contest. The only way I can describe Tim Robbins' performance in this movie is "absolutely horrendous". The guy couldn't act if his life depended on it. I think Morgan Freeman plays better than the supporting cast fo FG, but only by a slight edge. Overall, all of the supporting cast of FG plays on the top level: the mother, the lieutenant, Jinny, Bubba and so on.

The cinematography. It is impressive in SR, given the small number of places present in the movie. But I would say, even if the merit belongs mostly to the complexity of the story, the award goes to FG.
    For the most recent Elex news, the new Piranha Bytes RPG, visit us at World of Elex!!!

4. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #4
    Benutzer, die ihr Benutzerkonto per E-Mail bestätigen müssen Avatar von Yavanna

Yavanna ist offline
    I'll go with Shawshank Redemption, since I never liked Forest Gump enough to even bother watching it again. =/

5. Beiträge anzeigen #5
    Demigod Avatar von Dino

Dino ist offline
    It really all boils down to taste. You can't say liking green is wrong because blue is your favorite color.

As far as I go, I prefer the Shawnshank Redemption.

6. Beiträge anzeigen #6
    Knight Avatar von Ariogaisus

Ariogaisus ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Dino Beitrag anzeigen
    As far as I go, I prefer the Shawnshank Redemption.
    Okay.
    You can't really compare the two because they're are so different but i prefer Forrest Gump.

7. Beiträge anzeigen #7
    Knight Commander Avatar von Bamfy

Bamfy ist offline
    I don't even remember the plot from Forrest Gump so I guess you know my answer.

8. Beiträge anzeigen #8
    Kämpferin Avatar von Alexandra Victoria

Alexandra Victoria ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Maladiq Beitrag anzeigen
    A lot of people consider Shawshank to be the better movie. It is even voted as the best movie of all times on IMDB. Yet I do not understand why. Nobody gives a single argument for this. So let's debate this. Which movie do you think is better and why?
    The 2 movies are entirely different. One cannot compare them. They're both brilliant in their own way.

9. Beiträge anzeigen #9
    banned Avatar von Calin Masso

Calin Masso ist offline
    I haven't watched the whole Forrest Gump yet, I've only seen fragments of it and it seems very different from Shawshank Redemption. From what I've watched, Forest Gump tends to have a funnier approach of life than SR, which is a real drama, so my vote will go to SR for now, since it's a very beautiful film which really makes an impression if you watch it ... I'll let you know if I change my mind when I watch FG.

Speaking of which, have you watched The Green Mile? Like FG, it stars Tom Hanks, and like SR, it takes place in prison and it's also about the fact that sometimes good men can accidentally wind up behind bars. If yes, do you think it's better than SR and/or FG?

10. Beiträge anzeigen #10
    Demigod Avatar von Dino

Dino ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Ariogaisus Beitrag anzeigen
    Okay.
    You can't really compare the two because they're are so different but i prefer Forrest Gump.
    lol typo

11. Beiträge anzeigen #11
    Knight Avatar von Ariogaisus

Ariogaisus ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Dino Beitrag anzeigen
    lol typo
    A typo which meant that a guy named Shawn got shanked and is seeking redemption.

The 2 movies are entirely different. One cannot compare them. They're both brilliant in their own way.
    What (s)he said.

12. Beiträge anzeigen #12
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq

Maladiq ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Alexandra Victoria Beitrag anzeigen
    Well, let's put ourselves in the place of the American Film Academy

13. Beiträge anzeigen #13
    Demigod Avatar von Dino

Dino ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Ariogaisus Beitrag anzeigen
    A typo which meant that a guy named Shawn got shanked and is seeking redemption.
    This isn't a spelling contest

14. Beiträge anzeigen #14
    Hero Avatar von .†.MikeL.†.

.†.MikeL.†. ist offline
    Both movies are based on true stories ain't that right? I loved both but I do agree with Maladiq, Shawshank Redemption's story is a bit generic. If I had to choose between the two then I would go for Forest Gump, it's more touching and original.

15. Beiträge anzeigen #15
    Schwertmeister Avatar von warstrike

warstrike ist offline
    I liked both movies but Shawshank Redemption impressed me more.

16. Beiträge anzeigen #16
    General Avatar von KGS

KGS ist offline
    i don't think these movies are anything special

17. Beiträge anzeigen #17

.†.MikeL.†. ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von KGS Beitrag anzeigen
    i don't think these movies are anything special
    They were once.

18. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #18
    Demigod Avatar von Bastardo

Bastardo ist offline
    I can sit through both movies you mentioned without plucking my own eyes out. Which is good considering I require eyes for vision.

But I'm apathetic towards most movies I don't hate.
    Geändert von Bastardo (13.09.2012 um 00:27 Uhr)

19. Beiträge anzeigen #19
    General Avatar von KGS

KGS ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von .†.MikeL.†. Beitrag anzeigen
    They were once.
    what do you mean by that

20. Beiträge anzeigen #20

.†.MikeL.†. ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von KGS Beitrag anzeigen
    what do you mean by that
    They're old. By now there's a dozen movies just as good as those if not better, possibly more.

Seite 1 von 3 123 Letzte »