Home Gothic Gothic II Gothic 3 Gothic 4 Downloads Forums

Ergebnis 1 bis 12 von 12
  1. Beiträge anzeigen #1
    banned

MatTheCat ist offline

Anyone got an ini tweak suggestion?

I am playing with the 1.75 CP, Qp.4.2 and CM 2.4., with extra long viewing distance installed.

When I look over the cliffs of Myrtana towards Varant, the game engine fails to load in graphics leaving me with 'missing panes' where mountains etc should be.

Anyone know which setting I should tweak to improve this. (i am also playing with 'ultra' ini file)

2. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #2
    Demigod Avatar von Bastardo

Bastardo ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von MatTheCat Beitrag anzeigen
    I am playing with the 1.75 CP, Qp.4.2 and CM 2.4., with extra long viewing distance installed.

When I look over the cliffs of Myrtana towards Varant, the game engine fails to load in graphics leaving me with 'missing panes' where mountains etc should be.

Anyone know which setting I should tweak to improve this. (i am also playing with 'ultra' ini file)
    Someone with actual knowledge about Gothic 3 is going to jump in sooner or later but as far as I know that's caused by the draw distance settings.

DistanceHigh.fFarClippingPlane_High=10000.0

DistanceHigh.fFarClippingPlane_Medium=8000.0

DistanceHigh.fFarClippingPlane_Low=6000.0

Those are the defaults, I believe. Try starting from the defaults and see if it looks better, then increase the drawing distance in increments of 2000 for all three values (12K, 10K, 8K, check the game, then 14K, 12K, 10K, check the game, etc.).

3. Beiträge anzeigen #3
    banned

MatTheCat ist offline
    My current settings are:

DistanceHigh.fFarClippingPlane_High=30000.0

I think that 'Medium' and 'Low' are only applied if I set my in-game graphics sliders to medium or low.....but I will go change these values (wont hurt will it) and see if i have any joy.

4. Beiträge anzeigen #4
    banned

MatTheCat ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von One Stoned Bastard Beitrag anzeigen
    I don't know man, those aren't the settings I was talking about. If you are refferring to the ones I mentioned, be careful to find the right ones, they are not next to each other. But yes. Try the default first.
    Yeah...they are the same settings but they are just set higher and perhaps it is the fact that i have my 'high' slider set much higher than default that i am getting missing panes instead of where sea and mountains should be.

5. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #5

Bastardo ist offline
    Yeah...they are the same settings but they are just set higher and perhaps it is the fact that i have my 'high' slider set much higher than default that i am getting missing panes instead of where sea and mountains should be.
    My bad, I've read wrong or something.
    DistanceHigh.fFarClippingPlane_High=30000.0
    Again, keeping the values at more than 2000 from each other can cause problems, for example the right setting there should be 30000, 28000, 26000. At least that's how I understand it. That's because all three are used at the same time, they refer to high, medium and low distance textures, not different graphical settings(the "DistanceHigh" part takes care of that, set your slider to High to use the ini settings). But yeah, the values being high might be causing problems, that's why I think you should start from default High settings and check the effect of small increments.
    Geändert von Bastardo (21.05.2012 um 13:26 Uhr)

6. Beiträge anzeigen #6
    banned

MatTheCat ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von One Stoned Bastard Beitrag anzeigen
    .Again, keeping the values at more than 2000 from each other can cause problems, for example the right setting there should be 30000, 28000, 26000. At least that's how I understand it. That's because all three are used at the same time, they refer to high, medium and low distance textures, not different graphical settings(the "DistanceHigh" part takes care of that, set your slider to High to use the ini settings). But yeah, the values being high might be causing problems, that's why I think you should start from default High settings and check the effect of small increments.
    Perhaps you are right with that, but i tried what you said and noticed no difference (including with the missing pane effect).

Thanks for the input though!

Edit:

I tried what you said and noticed a big difference on some hills.....but 'further away' hills had the same immersion breaking 'missing pane' effect.

Anyone got any remedies?

Or should I either just deal with it or uninstall in the 'increased view distance' option in the CM 2.4 pack?
    Geändert von MatTheCat (22.05.2012 um 02:51 Uhr)

7. Beiträge anzeigen #7
    Knight Commander

Nisarg ist offline
    I tried what you said and noticed a big difference on some hills.....but 'further away' hills had the same immersion breaking 'missing pane' effect.

Anyone got any remedies?

Or should I either just deal with it or uninstall in the 'increased view distance' option in the CM 2.4 pack?
    You should just deal with it. I think I just understood the problem. It is even there in the base G3 without mods and such. The problem is that the distant LOD is rather different from the near mesh. So, you'll often see such gaps when the game renders the distant LOD instead of the base mesh. You can only control how far away the gaps are.
    My skin for Opera Web Browser.[Bild: tOC_sig1.jpg]

8. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #8

Bastardo ist offline
    Perhaps you are right with that, but i tried what you said and noticed no difference (including with the missing pane effect).

Thanks for the input though!

Edit:

Anyone got any remedies?

Go ahead and revert that option, I guess. As Nisarg said it doesn't "solve" the issue per se but in my experience default settings (whether low, medium or high) create fewer visible gaps during gameplay.

9. Beiträge anzeigen #9
    banned

MatTheCat ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Nisarg Beitrag anzeigen
    You should just deal with it. I think I just understood the problem. It is even there in the base G3 without mods and such. The problem is that the distant LOD is rather different from the near mesh. So, you'll often see such gaps when the game renders the distant LOD instead of the base mesh. You can only control how far away the gaps are.
    After much more playing and pissing around with settings, I have settled just for the default CSP 1.75 G3.ini file settings, albeit with vegetation draw distance increased to 20'000.

Wit these settings, I get a constant visible vector line between high res textures and blurry textures in the distance, but I dont get no dissappearing mountains.

10. Beiträge anzeigen #10
    Apprentice

darkeningday ist offline
    You need to increase the "Render.PrefetchGridCellSize" parameter in the ge3.ini directly proportionally to your "DistanceHigh.fFarClippingPlane_High" setting.

e.g. My fFarClippingPlane settings are:

DistanceHigh.fFarClippingPlane_High=18000.0
    DistanceHigh.fFarClippingPlane_Medium=14000.0
    DistanceHigh.fFarClippingPlane_Low=10000.0

So I need to set the Render.PrefetchGridCellSize to 18000.0

I'm not sure if there's any impact on performance by increasing the cash, since I have a pretty high-end setup. I have noticed that setting the Prefetch to insanely high numbers most certainly does have a negative impact, though.

Anywhoos, say goodbye to the annoying tears in the terrain, and say hello to next-gen, Skyrim-destroying view distance

The only problem I've encountered with view distance is that setting the Entity.ROI setting to anything above default causes weird audio/performance glitches around waterfalls, loud Nordmarian winds and heavy rain. Annoying, but hardly gamebreaking.

EDIT: Also note the farclippingplanes high/med/low settings relate to actual values in the game (high being the highest res textures, medium being the blurry-but-still-identifiable textures, and low being the blobby, vanilla Oblivion distance textures that remind me of early voxel-based games like Outcast). You don't need to keep them each exactly 2000 apart, but they do need to be equidistant from eachother to stave off those weird visual glitches.

Happy tweaking!
    Geändert von darkeningday (04.06.2012 um 01:45 Uhr)

11. Beiträge anzeigen #11
    banned

MatTheCat ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von darkeningday Beitrag anzeigen
    You need to increase the "Render.PrefetchGridCellSize" parameter in the ge3.ini directly proportionally to your "DistanceHigh.fFarClippingPlane_High" setting.

e.g. My fFarClippingPlane settings are:

DistanceHigh.fFarClippingPlane_High=18000.0
    DistanceHigh.fFarClippingPlane_Medium=14000.0
    DistanceHigh.fFarClippingPlane_Low=10000.0

So I need to set the Render.PrefetchGridCellSize to 18000.0

I'm not sure if there's any impact on performance by increasing the cash, since I have a pretty high-end setup. I have noticed that setting the Prefetch to insanely high numbers most certainly does have a negative impact, though.

Anywhoos, say goodbye to the annoying tears in the terrain, and say hello to next-gen, Skyrim-destroying view distance

The only problem I've encountered with view distance is that setting the Entity.ROI setting to anything above default causes weird audio/performance glitches around waterfalls, loud Nordmarian winds and heavy rain. Annoying, but hardly gamebreaking.

EDIT: Also note the farclippingplanes high/med/low settings relate to actual values in the game (high being the highest res textures, medium being the blurry-but-still-identifiable textures, and low being the blobby, vanilla Oblivion distance textures that remind me of early voxel-based games like Outcast). You don't need to keep them each exactly 2000 apart, but they do need to be equidistant from eachother to stave off those weird visual glitches.

Happy tweaking!
    Big thanks for this!

12. Beiträge anzeigen #12
    Apprentice

darkeningday ist offline
    So was it successful? What settings are you playing on?