Home Gothic Gothic II Gothic 3 Gothic 4 Downloads Forums

Ergebnis 1 bis 20 von 20
  1. Beiträge anzeigen #1
    Ranger Avatar von InnerMoon

InnerMoon ist offline

Why graphic engines for RPG are so... bad compared to FPS Graphic engines?

First I am not a developer so please don't be so rude

My question is: Why Graphic engines for RPG (Gothic, TES, Fallout, Dragon Age, NWN, ETC) are so shitty compared to FPS graphic engines of the same generation?

Novadays, in graphic engines like the Cryengine2 and 3 or the Frostbite (battefield 3) you are allowed to destroy almost everything in the world, the characters have really detailed bodies and faces textures, the animations are really smooth, the lighting effects are stunning and the shadows are just amazing.

In the other hand, the Graphic engines for most of RPG are shitty in those aspects, almost everything in the world is static and non destructible (you can cast a fireball over some wood boxes and nothing will happen), the animations are not good at all (in general terms, most of humanoids in RPG moves like mannequins or like if they've got a wood stick right thru the asshole). Most of RPG games have really big issues about shadows and lightning, and if you max the settings in this kind of games the perfomance reaaaaaally drops.

BTW, Why pirahna bites refuses to make their games with Diving option? Is that so hard to do so? (is not an ironic question, I am just really curious about this issue.. i mean, they already did it with Gothic 1 and 2, in Gothic 3 you were able to swim (not dive) but in Risen games you are not even allowed to swim...

2. Beiträge anzeigen #2
    banned

Dantos ist offline
    Great!
    I was talking about boring geeky discussions about 'technology' and you had to make a thread about it? -_-
    I don't even understand what you all are talking about most of the time...

Anyway on topic: Good games like Gothic, Dragon Age and the like have bad graphics but nice story and missions and stuff , while these new age games with huge graphic needs are boring, short and dumb so that is why they make them "pretty"?

3. Beiträge anzeigen #3

InnerMoon ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Dantos Beitrag anzeigen
    Great!
    I was talking about boring geeky discussions about 'technology' and you had to make a thread about it? -_-

Anyway on topic: Good games like Gothic, Dragon Age and the like have bad graphics but nice story and missions and stuff , while these new age games with huge graphic needs are boring, short and dumb so that is why they make them "pretty"?
    Well, I am sorry for my bad english. But my question is not about the game itself, i am just talking about Graphic engines. I do know that most of RPG are way better than FPS in terms of story, content, and so on, but my question is about the technology used in the graphic engines.

4. Beiträge anzeigen #4
    Knight Commander

Nisarg ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von InnerMoon Beitrag anzeigen
    First I am not a developer so please don't be so rude
    WHAT!!! How dare you post anything here then!?

Most of us aren't developers either.

My question is: Why Graphic engines for RPG (Gothic, TES, Fallout, Dragon Age, NWN, ETC) are so shitty compared to FPS graphic engines of the same generation?
    In FPS games you generally have levels of a given size, and the more linear it is, the more detail you can put in it. On the other hand, in RPGs (not counting Dragon Age) you have a large level (open world in Gothic, Risen, TES, etc). Also, a lot of money goes in doing quests and appropriate voice-work, so they have less budgets for graphics.

And, Graphics engine isn't everything - you also have to make other stuff like barrels, boxes, plants, buildings, weapons, tools, armour, etc.

BTW, Why pirahna bites refuses to make their games with Diving option? Is that so hard to do so? (is not an ironic question, I am just really curious about this issue.. i mean, they already did it with Gothic 1 and 2, in Gothic 3 you were able to swim (not dive) but in Risen games you are not even allowed to swim...
    It is hard in the sense that you then have to design several underground levels to make it useful - even in G1 and G2, diving wasn't use frequently. So, I guess they decided to make more land levels instead of diving.

Great!
    So why bother posting? Clearly all this discussion is on a plane of intellect far higher than yours.

Well, I am sorry for my bad english.
    He's not talking about language but the topic. Anything requiring even an ounce of logic is anathema to him.
    My skin for Opera Web Browser.[Bild: tOC_sig1.jpg]

5. Beiträge anzeigen #5
    Demigod Avatar von Dino

Dino ist offline
    Great!
    Well... bye

@topic: Generally, an FPS is quite shorter than an RPG. What I think is that they can't possibly put that good graphics on an RPG say the size of Skyrim. Imagine how much time and money it would take them. And I think it'd require too much space on the HDD, and the requirements of the other hardware will go significantly up.

6. Beiträge anzeigen #6

InnerMoon ist offline
    Oh well, thanks for the answers Now I have a more clear idea about this. BTW, I don't know if you think the same than me, but Risen 2 is the first game of piranha bites with really good character animations (running, jumping, fighting...)

7. Beiträge anzeigen #7
    Knight Commander Avatar von TudoracheMG

TudoracheMG ist offline
    = BTW, I don't know if you think the same than me, but Risen 2 is the first game of piranha bites with really good character animations (running, jumping, fighting...)
    LOLOLOLOL

8. Beiträge anzeigen #8
    Knight Avatar von Ariogaisus

Ariogaisus ist offline
    cuz RPG's are so.....huge in comparison to FPS's and also FPS games usually have a better budget for graphics.

9. Beiträge anzeigen #9
    banned

Dantos ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Nisarg Beitrag anzeigen
    Clearly all this discussion is on a plane of intellect far higher than yours.
    No it's like listening to some boring old scientist from discovery channel talking about the "wonders" of bugs! So dull!
    I'm falling sleeepy!

Anyway I don't even realize if the graphics are bad and such when I am playing a nice game... for instance my sister tells me while I am playing Gothic 2 that it's graphics are sooooo old and stuff and I'm like: I didn't notice it at all I was too busy playing...

10. Beiträge anzeigen #10

Ariogaisus ist offline
    No it's like listening to some boring old scientist from discovery channel talking about the "wonders" of bugs! So dull!
    I'm falling sleeepy!

Anyway I don't even realize if the graphics are bad and such when I am playing a nice game... for instance my sister tells me while I am playing Gothic 2 that it's graphics are sooooo old and stuff and I'm like: I didn't notice it at all I was too busy playing...
    If you don't care about technology why post in this thread which is exactly about that.

11. Beiträge anzeigen #11
    Demigod Avatar von Dino

Dino ist offline
    I'm falling sleeepy!
    So what are you doing in this thread, then?

12. Beiträge anzeigen #12
    Dragonslayer Avatar von Zeri0n

Zeri0n ist offline
    I would want to apologize for Danto's Spamming behavior, he is different.

Now to be on topic: I agree here with Nisarg, most of the budget goes into quests/story and scripting the characters. And there is one more thing, FPS games make more profit since they are sold in bigger numbers (Obviously because of mass multi-players). And most FPS are 80% about Engine and graphic, in other words the better the engine = more fun = more profit

Zitat Zitat von Dino Beitrag anzeigen
    So what are you doing in this thread, then?
    Raising his post count of course

13. Beiträge anzeigen #13
    Demigod Avatar von Dino

Dino ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Zeri0n Beitrag anzeigen
    Now to be on topic: I agree here with Nisarg, most of the budget goes into quests/story and scripting the characters. And there is one more thing, FPS games make more profit since they are sold in bigger numbers (Obviously because of mass multi-players). And most FPS are 80% about Engine and graphic, in other words the better the engine = more fun = more profit
    And since FPS multiplayer levels are smaller, the games are intense and the action develops faster, it's only natural for shooter games to have fancier graphics.
    When the game is as short as a first person shooter, it should at least have nice graphics.

14. Beiträge anzeigen #14
    banned

Dantos ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Zeri0n Beitrag anzeigen
    I would want to apologize for Danto's Spamming behavior, he is different.
    Different in what way?

15. Beiträge anzeigen #15
    Demigod Avatar von Dino

Dino ist offline
    Different in what way?
    In a... special... kind of way

16. Beiträge anzeigen #16
    banned

Dantos ist offline
    And I am not writing just to fill my post counter... Hell a mod could reset it to 1 I won't care much... but after all this is a forum and it's not a "don't post forum" I am allowed to speak my mind

And yes I know I am special!

17. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #17
    Mythos Avatar von Onisuzume

Onisuzume ist offline
    Eh, from what I gather it is mostly a case of "not needed" in RPGs.
    It adds little to nothing to the RPG while it takes quite a lot of time to implement (properly).
    Heck, about a decade ago it was hard for some developers to properly implement shadows to an RPG. *cough* Bethesda *cough* Morrowind *cough*

As for FPS games, these days I mostly enjoy the ones from east-european countries.
    NecroVisioN, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Metro 2033, etc.
    More originality to them, basically.
    NecroVisioN in particular, since it gives you an FPS set during the Great War, and you even get to meet J.R.R. Tolkien in the game.

As for the engine of the FPS games I mentioned, the most advanced things in it are the lighting/shadowing and bullet physics.

18. Beiträge anzeigen #18
    Knight Commander

Nisarg ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Onisuzume Beitrag anzeigen
    Heck, about a decade ago it was hard for some developers to properly implement shadows to an RPG. *cough* Bethesda *cough* Morrowind *cough*
    Even Skyrim's shadows are the same stuff we say in Gothic 3. Heck, they should have at least implemented Soft Shadows like Risen.
    My skin for Opera Web Browser.[Bild: tOC_sig1.jpg]

19. Beiträge anzeigen #19

Ariogaisus ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Nisarg Beitrag anzeigen
    Even Skyrim's shadows are the same stuff we say in Gothic 3. Heck, they should have at least implemented Soft Shadows like Risen.
    Yeah, Skyrim would've benefited from that.

NecroVisioN in particular, since it gives you an FPS set during the Great War, and you even get to meet J.R.R. Tolkien in the game.
    I gotta check that game out.

20. Beiträge anzeigen #20
    Knight Commander Avatar von Bamfy

Bamfy ist offline
    And yes I know I am special!
    Would you wet yourself if I'd say you're special?:>

And ya, I enjoy the most shooters made by eastern europeans.
    Geändert von Bamfy (06.05.2012 um 15:18 Uhr)