Home Gothic Gothic II Gothic 3 Gothic 4 Downloads Forums

Ergebnis 1 bis 18 von 18
  1. Beiträge anzeigen #1
    Rookie

thedarkprince ist offline

Modding G1 to SKYRIM. World 60% Already done.GothicMOD License for assets use. PLEASE HELP!

Hi everyone! I have read the rules and license for the GOTHIC modding and as long as it's free (as it always should be) and doesn't offend anyone I should be able to use GOTHIC assets without any problems. Fact is, I am not a lawyer myself so maybe I didn't understand everything as meant to be understood.

THE REAL QUESTION IS, since the license doesn't actually specify anything, CAN I USE THE ASSETS FOR MODDING OF OTHER GAMES?

Here's a license copy, both in english and with the link in german for those of you that read it better in the main language:

License for non-commercial use of modifications
    (GothicMOD license)

Version 1.0, April 2004
    Copyright © 2004 Pluto 13 GmbH (Piranha Bytes)

Preamble

The aim of the licensing of a work under the GothicMOD license is to allow the use of content for the purpose of free and non-commercial use of modifications. The license is aimed at those who want to make their proprietary services for the purpose of free and non-commercial use of modifications available, without separately for individual use or modification of rights must be obtained.

By GothicMOD license to Licensee the rights granted to all known types of use and also allows the editing of the work in any form. The general interests of the copyright in the work are respected by the license here, because it is one of the objectives of the license, the creative efforts of authors and other related rights in an appropriate way to recognize and protect their intellectual interests. The author is to be brought in connection with his work, as his name is called, or - in the event that the work was handled - an appropriate reference is made to him.

The GothicMOD license protects the licensor against licensees that the use of the work - even in edited form - can be limited retroactively. This is the "copyleft" effect, which ensures that a work that was put under this License, and all treatments based on it only in accordance with the provisions of this license may be used.

1. Completion of the license

1.Text of this license constitutes an offer to conclude a license contract under the following conditions dar. The offer is for everyone. The license agreement comes about through the exercise of these rights in Section 2 and 3, in particular by copying or dissemination of the work. The purchaser of these rights will be referred to as a licensee.
    2.For a mere use of the work this license agreement must not be completed. This also applies for authority to use of the work arising from statutory restrictions of copyright, such as for making a backup copy or for the transfer of a legally acquired copy of a database.

2. Rights

1.The licensee shall acquire upon completion of the license spatially and temporally unrestricted right to work in the unmodified form of unpaid and non-commercial use. This includes the right to work in digital or analog form, online and offline, to use physical and incorporeal. Use for any other purposes, especially for payment use or disclosure is prohibited by this license. Permission for use is royalty free.
    2.For use in particular is granted the right to distribute the work to be reproduced, republished, downloaded, or kept in any other way to make publicly available to recite, perform or otherwise publicly reproducing.
    3.Who will use the work may, from other licensees, no license fees or other charges for the work request.
    4.The acquired rights of use under this License may not be transferred to third parties. Third parties can acquire the rights by entering into this license only directly from the authors or other holders of exclusive use rights. There is sufficient that the parties will work with the license of any person pursuant to paragraph 1 and to complete the license agreement.
    5.The Licensor grants to publish his works the company Pluto 13 GmbH, Essen, Germany and JoWooD Productions AG, Austria is a common and spatially and temporally unlimited right to use the rights to his work, making note of his name, individually or together with other works, this is contrary to section 2 (a) in the form of pecuniary interest. Pluto 13 GmbH and JoWood will ask for the publication, however, no license fees for the work, unless agreed with the licensor in detail. The granting of a to paragraph 2 (e) similar rights to parties other than the two mentioned is excluded.

3.Editing rights

1.The licensee has the right to edit the work and to use the modified work in accordance with the number 2. This includes the power to shorten the work to add new components to replace parts of the work or to modify it in any other way. The work may put in a different context, and his statements are changes in content.
    2.Changes should not affect the intellectual or personal interests of authors. It should be noted that by licensing under this License and substantial changes in work consciously to be accepted as the freedom to change the work of one of the main objectives of this License.
    3.Be modified at a processing plant must have the title. The title of this work may not be changed if the work is otherwise unchanged in substance use.
    4.It is recommended that you add for each of the processing plant a copyright notice to the existing notes.

4.Sharing arrangements and related rights ("copyleft")

1.Who in the processing of the work acquires a copyright, you must assume that right with this license, when he distributed the modified work, downloaded or otherwise maintains publicly available, recites, performs or otherwise publicly reproducing.
    2.An adaptation in this sense is not, if the unmodified plant
    * Is connected with another independent work. This applies even if the related works are used as a complete work;
    * In a database or other collective work is inserted;
    * A database or other compilation, and other elements can be inserted.
    In these cases must be a clear indication of which parts of their collective work, or are under this License.
    3.An independent work is a work that can be used alone or in a meaningful way that is perceived by the market outlook as an independent work.
    4.Who buys from the use or handling the work related right, such as a database vendor right or a right relating to interpretation of the work, must assume this right with this license, if it spreads the work, ready for download stops or otherwise publicly available makes recites, performs or otherwise publicly available again and the related intellectual property rights for these uses is necessary.

5.Attribution

1.If the work is distributed in unmodified form, made available for download or otherwise made publicly available, delivered, performed or otherwise communicated to the public, have any names of authors and performers in the same form as it will be accepted. The attribution has to be done in a reasonable and customary usage for each form.
    2.If the work changes in content disseminated, made available for download or otherwise made publicly available, delivered, performed or otherwise communicated to the public, shall be no names of authors or artists without their express consent. Translations are classified as substantive change in this sense. In purely formal changes occur, the attribution according to the use in unmodified form. Correcting spelling, formatting or digitization are regarded usually as mere formal changes.
    3.Author or artist may not be named because of a substantive change in the work, must take place at every use of the work an indication of the author or artist of the original work in an appropriate manner. A note in an appropriate form is given in any case, if "based on a work of" the attribution of the addition is.
    4.Attribution to the foregoing shall apply to the holder of exclusive rights, provided they are mentioned in connection with the work.

6.Contingencies

1.If a use in physical form must be accompanied by a copy of this license or an Internet address specified in the text of the license is permanently available. For non-physical reproduction of the work may be a reproduction of the license may be omitted when this is impracticable. This may be the case for lectures and performances, as well as television and radio broadcasts.
    2.Evidence of the validity of this license and copyright notices must not be altered or deleted. Where such a notice unreasonable for the specific type of use, it can be omitted, as in radio broadcasts that can only be transmitted terrestrially, via cable or satellite or in the use of the work in the television advertising.
    3.The use of this work may not be made dependent on the fulfillment of obligations that are not named in the license.
    4.Anyone associated with the use of the work acquires other property rights, especially patents, trademarks, industrial designs and utility models, may set up these rights by any additional obligations for use of the work. So it is not permissible for a further-developed version of the Work to file a patent and for the continued use of the work developed by the patent license to impose conditions that go beyond the terms of this License.

7.Termination of rights infringement

1.Any violation of the obligations under this license automatically terminates the rights of the offender.
    2.The rights of third parties who have acquired rights to the work or the work of the offender persists.

8.Liability and Warranty

1.The liability of the Licensor is limited to fraudulent concealment of defects.
    2.This disclaimer applies only to the granting of rights under this License. The liability and warranty for other services, such as the dissemination of parts depends on the legal regulations or individual arrangements.

9.New versions of this License

Pluto 13 GmbH may update this license, unless a change in the legal or factual circumstances so require. The licensor grants the Pluto13 GmbH define the content of future versions of this License. The determination is made by public announcement of the license. Future versions should correspond to the basic principles of this license. Unless a work is not explicitly a particular version of this license is subject to, is the latest version.
    Appendix: How do I put a piece of GothicMOD license?

To provide a work under the terms of this license for free use by anyone available, the work must be accompanied by the following notice in well perceive. It is also recommended to include a copyright notice, which includes the year of first publication and the owner of the exclusive rights of use (name or commonly understood abbreviations).

Copyright (c) 20 [yy] [owner of the exclusive rights of use].
    This work can not by anyone in the commercial form
    be used in accordance with the provisions of GothicMOD license.
    The license conditions under http://www.gothic2.de/mod
    or available at http://www.piranha-bytes.com/mod.

Original available in German here:
    http://www.piranha-bytes.com/addon/mod/lizenz/

This license is intended for mods of Gothic/Gothic2, but as I understand the text there is no limit to use it in other games (Bethesda's license says that they acquire the rights of our material, we have to add a copy of the license text so that they acquire the license as well).

So, staying by the things written in that license I can use everything as long as it's free (as all mods on the nexus are) right? u.u Please tell me it is so otherwise I have to throw 3 months of work into shit (and excuse this gross word).

Thank you in advance!

2. Beiträge anzeigen #2
    Bücherwolf  Avatar von HerrFenrisWolf

HerrFenrisWolf ist offline
    I don't really understand what you want to do. Do you want to copy a texture? to redesign a armor from Gothic to Skyrim? Or will you remake the whole Game on base of the Skyrim engine?

3. Beiträge anzeigen #3
    Veteran Avatar von The Assasin

The Assasin ist offline
    It seems that he wants to remake Gothic using Skyrim CK.

4. Beiträge anzeigen #4
    Sword Master Avatar von UR1Z13L

UR1Z13L ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von The Assasin Beitrag anzeigen
    It seems that he wants to remake Gothic using Skyrim CK.
    Sounds cool

5. Beiträge anzeigen #5
    Ranger Avatar von InnerMoon

InnerMoon ist offline
    I would say GO AHEAD! You are not going to sell the mod or to get any profit of it, so it should not be any problem.

6. Beiträge anzeigen #6
    Local Hero

fragonard ist offline
    I don't think you can totally count on it being free to make it legal. For example, Bethesda refused requests to move Morrowind assets into Oblivion even though it the same company and the mod was free. The Morroblivion team had to recreate everything from scratch. I have no idea how the current owner of Gothic (whoever that is) would see it. You need to find out for sure, don't assume.

7. Beiträge anzeigen #7
    Knight Commander Avatar von Neconspictor

Neconspictor ist offline
    I assume that won't probably work but in your position I would ask Piranha Bytes to resolve this issue.
    If you do this could you post the result?

8. Beiträge anzeigen #8
    Knight Commander

Nisarg ist offline
    Hm, I guess if you will recreate everything, it's all right.

The only thing from the original Gothic data that can be used in Skyrim is the sounds. For general sounds, you can adopt Skyrim as well as freely available sounds as viable replacements.

The problem is the music and the voice work. You should ask Piranha Bytes about it. AFAIK, they've got the rights to Gothic games right now.
    My skin for Opera Web Browser.[Bild: tOC_sig1.jpg]

9. Beiträge anzeigen #9
    Skinhead  Avatar von Hellbilly

Hellbilly ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Nisarg Beitrag anzeigen
    Hm, I guess if you will recreate everything, it's all right.
    Not necessarily; things like story and dialogue are someone's IP and as such probably protected by copyright, so you need permission. What I'd do is to send the PB's an email asking if it's OK... even if it were legal, just out of courtesy and respect.

10. Beiträge anzeigen #10
    Drachentöter Avatar von Blubbler

Blubbler ist offline
    PB has turned down similiar requests in the past. However they never actually did sth, when it was still done anyway.
    Example: Modders ask, if they can use the G1 maps for G2 mods.
    Answer: No.
    They did it anyway, nothing ever happened.
    However your project is sth more than merely copying a map...

You would be safe, if you made the installer get its data from the Gothic folder, but I assume this is not possible.

11. Beiträge anzeigen #11
    Knight Commander

Nisarg ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Blubbler Beitrag anzeigen
    You would be safe, if you made the installer get its data from the Gothic folder, but I assume this is not possible.
    It could work for a few things like voice-overs and sounds, but it would be nearly impossible for quests and such.
    My skin for Opera Web Browser.[Bild: tOC_sig1.jpg]

12. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #12

Piranha-Bytes

Michael Rüve ist offline
    PB has turned down similiar requests in the past.
    Correct.
    What OP intends to do is NOT covered by the modkit's license and we will NOT give permission to do so.

However they never actually did sth, when it was still done anyway.
    That's not correct. 'nuff said.

Example: Modders ask, if they can use the G1 maps for G2 mods.
    Using gothic assests in another Gothic (Gothic == Gothic 1, Gothic 2, NotR, Gothic 3) is another case. While strictly speaking not allowed either (!) we have indeed refrained from taking action against that and so have other license holders like JoWooD.

No he'd not be safe.

13. Beiträge anzeigen #13
    Drachentöter Avatar von Blubbler

Blubbler ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Michael Rüve Beitrag anzeigen
    That's not correct. 'nuff said.
    Ok, I'm sorry.

No he'd not be safe.
    If you'd made a program that would only take data from the gothic folder, convert it and move it somewhere else, it'd be illegal?

14. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #14
    Fighter Avatar von Darth Crow

Darth Crow ist offline
    Could you explain to us why is it so, please? I mean, they're not going to sell anything, they just want to make Gothic more known and try to play it on a modern engine. I think that many who would play that mod would even buy G1 (if they don't have it yet...)
    Brothers of Metal will always be there, standing together with hands in the air!

VIVA GOTHIC!

15. Beiträge anzeigen #15
    Sword Master Avatar von Hampu

Hampu ist offline
    What if he created the things from scratch?
    All the armours and weapon, monsters, props, art, dialouge, and such, only using the world and characters and names. Would that be acceptable?

16. Beiträge anzeigen #16
    Skinhead  Avatar von Hellbilly

Hellbilly ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Hampu Beitrag anzeigen
    What if he created the things from scratch?
    All the armours and weapon, monsters, props, art, dialouge, and such, only using the world and characters and names. Would that be acceptable?
    Just to clarify: with "from scratch" you mean completely new story, monsters and all that, just in a "familiar setting", or replicate the original game?

17. Beiträge anzeigen #17
    Sword Master Avatar von Hampu

Hampu ist offline
    From scratch as in the setting, the characters and locations. None of the story or quests. Would be interesting recreating the barrier in skyrim, maybe the whole of khorinis.

18. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #18
    Mythos Avatar von Onisuzume

Onisuzume ist offline
    Eh, once upon a time, a long long time ago...
    I was busy working on a Gothic Open RPG map for Warcraft 3 (zero story, just the setting).
    Never quite finished it.

As for modding Skyrim: I want Bonemold Armour!!