Home Gothic Gothic II Gothic 3 Gothic 4 Downloads Forums

Seite 2 von 2 « Erste 12
Ergebnis 21 bis 34 von 34
  1. Beiträge anzeigen #21
    Deus Avatar von WernerTWC

WernerTWC ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von deama Beitrag anzeigen
    maybe there is a chance...
    you could try and submit your work to PB and ask their permission, there is a chance they might feel sympathy!
    Forget it. Even if the PBs would have sympathy for this project. G1 is still for sale, and maybe they still get a (ok, very low) income by that, Michael Rüve wouldn't be a good CEO if he would give the OK to a project which could lower some (even small) income.
    This is sad - i would love to play this mod, ... but not allowed simply means not allowed.

2. Beiträge anzeigen #22
    Sword Master Avatar von C-Hawk

C-Hawk ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von WernerTWC Beitrag anzeigen
    Forget it. Even if the PBs would have sympathy for this project. G1 is still for sale, and maybe they still get a (ok, very low) income by that, Michael Rüve wouldn't be a good CEO if he would give the OK to a project which could lower some (even small) income.
    This is sad - i would love to play this mod, ... but not allowed simply means not allowed.
    What I think Werner means is: Even if u make the mod, WoG won't recognize it as official?¿?¿ thus not supporting it I guess.
    Arcadia - A click and win tale

3. Beiträge anzeigen #23
    Deus Avatar von Milgo

Milgo ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von C-Hawk Beitrag anzeigen
    What I think Werner means is: Even if u make the mod, WoG won't recognize it as official?¿?¿ thus not supporting it I guess.
    No, the WoP just respects copyrights.

4. Beiträge anzeigen #24
    Deus Avatar von WernerTWC

WernerTWC ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von C-Hawk Beitrag anzeigen
    WoG (WoP) wouldn't support it, wouldn't host it and would delete any links to this, since, like Milgo said, Copyrights will be respected.
    Official or not doesn't matter, we host many fan-made projects which are all not-official, but legally OK.

5. Beiträge anzeigen #25
    Kämpfer Avatar von Atmus

Atmus ist offline
    The only way I can recommend is to recreate all the stuff anew. Then you break no copyrights. Just make it similar to gothic but not the same. Maybe some names might be copyrighted too, so take a look at that, and you can use what's not copyrighted. Still it could be an interesting project.

6. Beiträge anzeigen #26
    Knight Commander

Nisarg ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Atmus Beitrag anzeigen
    The only way I can recommend is to recreate all the stuff anew. Then you break no copyrights. Just make it similar to gothic but not the same. Maybe some names might be copyrighted too, so take a look at that, and you can use what's not copyrighted.
    This myth was debunked a few posts back.
    My skin for Opera Web Browser.[Bild: tOC_sig1.jpg]

7. Beiträge anzeigen #27
    General Avatar von ICFabian

ICFabian ist offline
    You'll find some way around this, I'm sure of it. Keep up the good work and don't give up.

8. Beiträge anzeigen #28
    Dragonslayer Avatar von Zeri0n

Zeri0n ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Faby Beitrag anzeigen
    You'll find some way around this, I'm sure of it. Keep up the good work and don't give up.
    Faby the fire starter

9. Beiträge anzeigen #29
    Kämpfer Avatar von Atmus

Atmus ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Nisarg Beitrag anzeigen
    This myth was debunked a few posts back.
    I don't think it is a copyright breaking if you recreate all stuff by yourself and use nothing from gothic. Then you may present it as a skyrim mod with no fear. Maybe the story might be similar, but if you use your own not-copyrighted names, it doesn't hurt any copyright. If you think it will do, then you should think it is a normal modding also copyright breaking.

EDIT: But question is why someone would do that? You can also play an original Gothic game instead.
    Geändert von Atmus (13.06.2012 um 11:27 Uhr)

10. Beiträge anzeigen #30
    Knight Commander

Nisarg ist offline
    Maybe the story might be similar, but if you use your own not-copyrighted names, it doesn't hurt any copyright.
    It won't violate the copyright but I doubt Diego would be Diego if he was called Jim.

EDIT: But question is why someone would do that? You can also play an original Gothic game instead.
    Newer machines often have compatibility problems with older games. Half the people can't even get it to run on Windows Vista or 7.

And of course, there is graphics to be considered. Baldur's Gate would have been a much more pleasant experience if it didn't look so grainy and the UI was better suited to my monitor's resolution. It was made to be played at a fixed resolution of 640x480.

In fact, if it wasn't for the ICP, I wouldn't have been able to play Gothic II properly on my monitor as well.
    My skin for Opera Web Browser.[Bild: tOC_sig1.jpg]

11. Beiträge anzeigen #31
    Kämpfer Avatar von Atmus

Atmus ist offline
    It won't violate the copyright but I doubt Diego would be Diego if he was called Jim.
    I am afraid the name Diego might be really copyrighted. But I don't know.

Newer machines often have compatibility problems with older games. Half the people can't even get it to run on Windows Vista or 7.

And of course, there is graphics to be considered. Baldur's Gate would have been a much more pleasant experience if it didn't look so grainy and the UI was better suited to my monitor's resolution. It was made to be played at a fixed resolution of 640x480.

In fact, if it wasn't for the ICP, I wouldn't have been able to play Gothic II properly on my monitor as well.
    Yes you're right, but there can be some other way, for exemple emulators etc. It's not perfect, but not be able to play G1 or G2... would be really bad . And more over if you change story, names, graphics, etc, it won't be Gothic at all.

Btw I like BG graphics in a way it is

12. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #32
    Apprentice

Vitus der blutige ist offline
    The only way around this would be for the ''mod'' to require a valid (bought) copy of Gothic from wich it imports data like sound etc. But that method requires both Bethesda and PB to come to an agreement over the income this would produce. So even in the most positive position you would still be in a gray area. The team that's behind Gothic Rebirth has the advantage of having built up their own game from scratch on another engine with its own STORY (this is important - the story may have simmilarities but can't be exactly like the one writen by the storywriters of Gothic). If anything like copyrights get's in their way they can simply rename a few copyrighted characters ,monsters etc. and they have avoided any possible legal issues.

13. Beiträge anzeigen #33
    Rookie

osterac ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von WernerTWC Beitrag anzeigen
    Michael Rüve wouldn't be a good CEO if he would give the OK to a project which could lower some (even small) income.
    Corporations that operate this way are ultimately going to really piss off their customers. Always looking at the bottom line, never at the happiness of the user. Selfish moves like this that suppress the modding community and aggravate to end users may pay off in the short term, but in the long run, if your customers aren't happy they will go elsewhere.

Would you say that Gabe Newell is a bad CEO? Look at Black Mesa. It's a direct remake of Half-Life 1, using the source engine, and you don't have to own Half-Life 2 to play it. And it's free. The Black Mesa team was able to complete the project without using any assets from HL1, and Valve has greenlighted the project.
    So what's the real problem here? Copyright? Or just an uncooperative software development studio?

What do you do when someone wants to start a kickass project involving your IP? The way I see it you have two choices.
    1. Shut them down
    2. Get on board and reap the benefits.

In Valve's case, the benefits would be more traffic to their Steam client. More exposure to the Gothic series and the Piranha Bytes name wouldn't be a bad thing, would it?

14. Beiträge anzeigen #34
    Adventurer Avatar von MrGookles

MrGookles ist offline
    Well, the name Diego isn't copyrighted, since my friend is called Diego, did he break any laws because of that? No my friend, it's the character, his looks and his personality that they can copyright and nothing else. So, if you name Gorn Diego and Diego Gorn, you hardly cross anything, since the copyright is put on:

Diego being the leader of the Shadows in the Old Camp, a friend of the Hero, Milten, etc. etc. who wears the Shadow's armor and looks like etc. etc.

My tip, just put away all the names and plot elements, and exchange them with something that points at them. For an example, don't say it's Magic Ore, just say it's Thorium or whatever. It's not the Old Camp, it's the Old Keep, and that's not the New camp, it's the New Mine-whatever. You're not making a new game, you're just making a mod, and since copyrights should be respected, you'll do that and in no time, you won't have a port of Gothic 1 to Skyrim, but a Gothic 1 INSPIRED mod for Skyrim.

Osterac's got right. If you get this good, PB can only benefit from it. A good scenario could be:
    <Stumbles on the mod, a mod hungry player of Skyrim>
    <Plays the mod, gets hyped up, reads about Gothic 1>
    <Player gets even more hyped up about the good comments that point at Gothic 1>
    <Player BUYS Gothic 1>
    <Ching-ching-ching, $$$>
    <A happy developer>
    <The player wants to kick it into the series, find WoG>
    <Player makes a topic saying it's so awesome>
    <More of the players join, forums become alive again>
    <???>
    <PROFIT babeh!>

... that's a good scenario, which I wouldn't mind to see. But, talking about this, ain't there a similar mod around? Let me get the freakin' link! AHA, here it is! (P.S. Edited)
    Geändert von MrGookles (19.02.2013 um 13:30 Uhr)

Seite 2 von 2 « Erste 12