Home Gothic Gothic II Gothic 3 Gothic 4 Downloads Forums

Seite 1 von 2 12 Letzte »
Ergebnis 1 bis 20 von 32
  1. Beiträge anzeigen #1
    Apprentice Avatar von shrekdj

shrekdj ist offline

Gothic 2 Questions to Veteran players

Recently after having a good response to the Audio problem from the members, I decided to ask few more doubts which were bothering during the play-through for a long time.

I prepared a list of questions out for right support and help from the veteran players. Also I have gone through available manual and Gamefaqs or other online guides too, so please excuse my lack of knowledge in regards any question repeated or found silly as I am new to gothic 2 and even the series.

1. In QUEST: The False Messenger - Kardif mentions to meet a merchant If I want to buy the Map. Which merchant should I exactly meet? I even strike up a conversation with Attile but no option of any map to buy.

2. Under Controls Menu, I can't locate "Spell Casting" keys to bind or change. Are they default to follow? (Key "4") Is there any way to change them? I am playing with Gothic 2 Controls.

3. Is it possible to drop a single item of Gold or objects from (own) Inventory? (say drop 1 coin out of 12 Coins of Gold)
    I can equip objects from other NPC's inventory or chests either totally or single but can't drop them Single one-by-one from my own inventory.

4. I have become a member of thieves guild and completed all the quests. Can I still expect Paladins to join the guild?
    Also, are thieves guild separate (independent), in the sense, Can I still play Thieves Quests even as a mercenary or mage (except Paladin)??

5. I have too many items in inventory and want to find a suitable chest or even a private room to dust out unnecessary load and save them. Currently at Dead Harpy saved my inventory items for 50 gold coins weekly rent. Do the items disappear from the chest (at Dead Harpy) even after long sessions of game or changing chapters?
    Is it possible to transfer inventory items with any accessible chest(s) throughout Gothic 2 and expect them to stay even after changing Chapters?

6. In the Quest The Experiment by Ignaz to test Oblivion spell, I knocked down Valentino and immediately cast the spell Oblivion. The quest was successful but when I strike conversation with Valentino he still says "Leave me Alone". If the spell was successful than why doesn't he repeat the lines when I first met him, namely, ladies man and all that.

7. In the Quest Canthar's Favor to frame Sarah, I actually went to Lord Andre and collected the bounty to arrest Canthar.
    According to an online guide it is possible to visit Canthar in jail and kill him either wielding sword directly or run by making him to follow and let the guard do the killing. This trick works in the quest "The False Messenger" where Moe follows me and after getting hit from Moe, nearby guards knock him out.
    But it is not working under Canthar's case, I hit Canthar and run all around Lord Andre and the guards but, in turn, they encourage Canthar saying lines, namely, "Get him for good" and moment I wield the sword entire Khorinis goes crazy to knock me out. Why don't the guards react to Canthar's act (even he runs out of jail to follow me)? I just don't get this

Well that's the list (for now) of doubts and request some pointers of help

2. Beiträge anzeigen #2
    Knight Commander

Nisarg ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von shrekdj Beitrag anzeigen
    1. In QUEST: The False Messenger - Kardif mentions to meet a merchant If I want to buy the Map. Which merchant should I exactly meet? I even strike up a conversation with Attile but no option of any map to buy.
    Brahim the cartographer. His house is next to Kardif's pub. Brahim sits on a bench just outside his house during the day. If you come towards Kardif's from Harad's smithy, turn right after passing the pub. The first house to your right will be Brahim's.

2. Under Controls Menu, I can't locate "Spell Casting" keys to bind or change. Are they default to follow? (Key "4") Is there any way to change them? I am playing with Gothic 2 Controls.
    No, there's no way to change them. IIRC, when you equip a spell, it will automatically bind itself to the first free key from 4 to 0. 3 is to select whatever spell you used last.

4. I have become a member of thieves guild and completed all the quests. Can I still expect Paladins to join the guild?
    Also, are thieves guild separate (independent), in the sense, Can I still play Thieves Quests even as a mercenary or mage (except Paladin)??
    IIRC even if you join the thieves' guild, you can join the paladins or mages or mercenaries. But I can only be certain about the mercs.
    My skin for Opera Web Browser.[Bild: tOC_sig1.jpg]

3. Beiträge anzeigen #3
    Hydrabogen Avatar von Windmacht

Windmacht ist offline
    3. Is it possible to drop a single item of Gold or objects from (own) Inventory? (say drop 1 coin out of 12 Coins of Gold)
    I can equip objects from other NPC's inventory or chests either totally or single but can't drop them Single one-by-one from my own inventory.
    No, it's not possible to drop stacked items one-by-one on the ground. Only to a chest you can take them one-by-one

The thieves guild is only a minor guild. So you doesn't join them like the major guildes (milita, mage, mercenary). Means in your charakter menu does not stand, that you are am member of the thief guild

Can I still play Thieves Quests even as a mercenary or mage (except Paladin)??
    If you have join the the thieves guild, you can do every quest there, doesn't matter which guild you are belong to.
    But it's not possible to join this guild on the pacific way (means do not take Rengaru, Halvor or Nagur into jail), if you are milita/paladin or novice/mage and you haven't got the quest from Nagur. Because he will not give it to you then. Getting this quest as a guildless one, you can achieve it also with this guilds.

5. I have too many items in inventory and want to find a suitable chest or even a private room to dust out unnecessary load and save them. Currently at Dead Harpy saved my inventory items for 50 gold coins weekly rent. Do the items disappear from the chest (at Dead Harpy) even after long sessions of game or changing chapters?
    You can stay items in a chest. They shouldn't disappear, even after a long time or changing chapter.

4. Beiträge anzeigen #4

shrekdj ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Nisarg Beitrag anzeigen
    Brahim the cartographer.
    I got it!.. yea almost left the harbor side to check out.

Zitat Zitat von Windmacht
    If you have join the the thieves guild, you can do every quest there, doesn't matter which guild you are belong to.
    I am currently at level 10 and want to join Mercenaries just to explore the other side of the City after the main town.

Thanks guys for the help indeed

5. Beiträge anzeigen #5
    Local Hero

Cyclops1953 ist offline
    only place you wont get into before joining one of the three major guilds is the town hall where Lord Hagan is.you get into the upper quarter by becoming an apprentice to one of the masters,thus becoming a citizen.

6. Beiträge anzeigen #6
    Knight Avatar von NCONiall

NCONiall ist offline
    7. In the Quest Canthar's Favor to frame Sarah, I actually went to Lord Andre and collected the bounty to arrest Canthar.
    According to an online guide it is possible to visit Canthar in jail and kill him either wielding sword directly or run by making him to follow and let the guard do the killing. This trick works in the quest "The False Messenger" where Moe follows me and after getting hit from Moe, nearby guards knock him out.
    But it is not working under Canthar's case, I hit Canthar and run all around Lord Andre and the guards but, in turn, they encourage Canthar saying lines, namely, "Get him for good" and moment I wield the sword entire Khorinis goes crazy to knock me out. Why don't the guards react to Canthar's act (even he runs out of jail to follow me)? I just don't get this
    That's the AI for you. Even if you could get Lord Andre to attack Canthar I'm pretty sure he wouldn't kill him. Your best option is to lure him out of the city and kill him. If you're struggling to kill him buy an ice block spell from Zuris and use it on him.

As for Valentino, the only quest he's involved is when you are told to beat him up, after that you can talk to Regis and get a ring from him which you can then pass onto Coragon for quite a lot of XP. So he's not really all that important.

7. Beiträge anzeigen #7
    General Avatar von KGS

KGS ist offline
    Valentino doesn't repeat those lines ever
    (the games says that the target forgets only the specific event, not everything)

8. Beiträge anzeigen #8

shrekdj ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von NCONiall Beitrag anzeigen
    That's the AI for you. Even if you could get Lord Andre to attack Canthar I'm pretty sure he wouldn't kill him. Your best option is to lure him out of the city and kill him. If you're struggling to kill him buy an ice block spell from Zuris and use it on him.
    I found out a way and actually it seems the AI isn't wrong in knocking me either. What was wrong is the fact that I started a fight inside the cell AND not outside behind the prying eyes of the prison guard sitting.
    The solution was to equip a bow / crossbow, stand behind the prison guard (also the cell is closed behind which Canthar is just standing) and start aiming arrows towards Canthar. The guard becomes upset only when Canthar equips sword and the guard runs to knock Canthar down. At this moment immediately take away Bow or the guard will knock you out too or atleast speak a word of warning. When Canthar is knocked down and guard returns to his position, open the prison cell and position in a manner that the guard won't notice you when a weapon is drawn (preferably a bow since we want to kill Canthar and the sword will only knock him out). At this time Canthar is close to only 5% health and wasting more time will make him regenerate soon, so aim 2-3 arrows and he is DONE.

Valentino doesn't repeat those lines ever(the games says that the target forgets only the specific event, not everything)
    It was confusing to practice Oblivion over Valentino but with time soon I got the scroll effective and learnt what exactly it does after practicing the spell cast over other NPC's. IMO its amazing and very effective in many important situations esp. thieving with less dexterity and no pick-pocketing skill.
    ====================================================================

Currently I have completed Chapter 4 and close to beginning next though There are some new questions and request your advice further

1. I have 10 Dragon eggs after selling one to Bennet. Acc to guides Dragon Eggs are required for the potion Embarla Firgasto but is it necessary to have the potion to progress further. I am currently at 120 strength and want to sell all dragon eggs but it seems without Embarla Firgasto the progress may be hindered or selling all Dragon eggs can have dire consequences in Chapter 6. Also, is this option open for Mages or all other guilds too can make this potion. Any advice???

2. Untill now I have come across atleast 6 King's Sorrell and atleast 10 Dragon Roots in addition to what the Map on this site shows. In the Valley of Mines many orc elites have Dragon Roots and even the Dragon at swamp site has one Dragon Root besides him. I actually wasted many potions early into strength and dexterity by brewing potions and not larning points to achieve over and above 90 STR or DEX. I think there is atleast double King's Sorrel and Dragon roots than what game readily spawns in many indirect ways which was a missing opportunity in saving precious LP early on. For the next playthrough spending LP upto 90 STR is worth more than drinking potions early. Any advice??

3. Lastly, after finishing Gothic 2 I will resume with NOTR for a more challenging fun, but what changes are introduced in the NOTR and how the skill system works?? I want to know how the stats and skills leveling system work in NOTR and what are differences in terms of difficulty. Except Dragons, any other enemy or monster is capable of regenerating health in NOTR?? Any links or proper guide providing thorough details is highly requested.

Thanks
    Geändert von shrekdj (27.02.2012 um 06:25 Uhr)

9. Beiträge anzeigen #9
    Dreigestirn Avatar von Arkain

Arkain ist offline
    1. You need 10 eggs for the potion, although you also find about 10 or 11 in the final chapter, as you enter a new area there. The idea behind keeping eggs is that you can make a second potion with the spare ones you brought. As the potion gives a +15 bonus to either strength or dexterity (whichever is higher when drinking) you may gain up to +30 total, which is huge. The potion is not at all required to finish the game however.

2. I think I don't get what you're asking about. It is advisable to reach the maximum of 90 (or 110 if you have one of those orc rings), before drinking any strength enhancing potions, yes. It is, however, not required to have something like 200 strength to finish the (classic) game as a melee fighter. The thing is, ridiculously high stats make your attacks so strong that you may finish about all enemies in 1-3 hits, but you have a long way to go if you intend to reach the teachers' cap first, which makes the game harder until you do, which may either hamper your skills (e.g. not raising weapon skills to raise attributes) or make the ultimate damage you achieve pointless, as there is nothing left to kill with it or because you've already finished a huge part of the game without it. With that in your mind it might be advisable to be satisfied with less overall power, but having power when you actually need it, that is, drinking potions before reaching the cap.

3. Besides the story changes, new items, changes to items and such? First of all, the plants available change, for example you may no longer find dragon roots or goblin berries on enemies (the latter may still be found on paladins, however). Your favorite mushrooms also give you a mana bonus for every 50 you consume now. Potions also only raise your attributes by +3 instead of +5. Same for apples, +1 strength for every 25. There's also a new kind of item for permanent bonuses, stone plates. To read those you'll have to invest into a language skill (which is worth it, by the way). The costs for skills have also changed. For example, stength and dexterity potions cost 20 each, but can be learned without learning other potions (contrary to how it was before), this is not true for the mana and life potions, however. Trophy skills have also changed, many costing only 1-3 points instead of the usual 5, for example. The most important changes are the ones to the attribute and weapon skill system, however: weapon skills no longer raise their sibling skill for an additional cost (for example, if you raise bow above 30 crossbow will still rise, but it won't cost you anything and isn't required to be raised in any way). However, all weapon skills (and attributes) get more expensive as you rise through the ranks. While you may learn everything on a 1:1 basis early on, it costs more after you reach 30, namely 2 to raise the skill/attribute by 1. The same is true for 60 (3:1), 90 (4:1) and 120 (5:1). It is thus advisable to plan accordingly with permanent bonuses in mind. As a general rule of thumb you should raise your attribute to about 90 (maybe 60 for mana, it's only important to reach 300 total as a mage) and then use the tablets, potions etc. One version of the script patch allows you to only let your invested points count however, making the early game easier and the overall game experience more smooth in my opinion as it feels less like from weakling to near godmode in another two level ups. Another change is that enemies' power has changed along with their life and resistances. Let's look at numbers to make it more clear.
    Spoiler:(zum lesen bitte Text markieren)
    An orc elite now deals 225 damage with each blow, has 450 life and 160 resistance to everything except magic (100), while skeletons now deal 150 damage per blow, have 150 life, 125 resistance to everything but ranged damage (175) and magic (0, making them easy to kill with magic). In classic the stats for each were 150 damage, 300 life 80 resistance to everything but magic and dragon fire (40) and 115 damage, 180 life, 30 resistance to everything (immunity to ranged weapons).
    The idea behind it is that enemies become more dangerous to damage consistently and kill you more easily. Orcs aren't a joke anymore even after you have realized most of your skilling ideas.
    Lastly, it's worth noting that all spell scrolls but those of chargable spells now cost 5 mana only, which makes the early game more managable if you use scrolls or some situations and scrolls overall more useful, though also kind of overpowered, if you know what you do.

10. Beiträge anzeigen #10

shrekdj ist offline
    Thanks Arkain very exhaustive reply...i'm going to ask few tidbits relating to the reply for more understanding again

To the NOTR, Gothic 2 was way easy after Chapter 2 and personally NOTR is great disregarding some confusion to difficulty. I never felt the difficulty but it was challenging only in terms of Stats and early leveling which kept the Hero always on toes throughout rather casual as far as Gothic 2 in comparison to NOTR. Also, additional Jharkendar quest brought more fun and depth. Many Potions and strong amulets were available right at the beginning, namely, Amulet of Strength and Elixir of Life with Eros.
    My doubt though is with the Stone Tablets and at what level should I begin Jharkendar exploration (enter portal).

1. What are old Stone tablets? (marked black in map) Can I sell all the stone tablets any time to Vatras for the bonuses?

2. I am ready to enter the portal meeting all the requirements Saturas had asked. Can I begin Jharkendar (enter portal) even at Chapter 5 (before boarding the ship and performing corresponding Crew assignments)?? Since its an add-in I want to begin Jharkendar quests by having some strong statistics to enjoy the new additions.
    Also, the same can be done early at Chapter 1 by completing all Jharkendar quests and than begin Chapter 2.

In addition, as a mercenary or mage (In the Valley of Mines) How to occupy a room with Chest or a bed?? It sounds silly but throughout the Castle only Paladins or Dragon hunters (despite being myself as a merc) are allowed to rest or sleep in night. The moment I enter any of the resting quarters in the Castle entire battalion runs like barking wargs to knock me down and kill. I don't know where can a mercenary rest in the Valley of mines Castle?? Any help appreciated!

Also unusual is the lacking of a "Shield in hand" besides sword esp for 1H weapons. I find it really an errand on part to combat design which is good but rather incomplete without a shield esp. the Knights having shield is a must though I can only expect the same with Gothic 4!!

thanks!..
    Geändert von shrekdj (29.02.2012 um 06:44 Uhr)

11. Beiträge anzeigen #11
    Knight Commander

Nisarg ist offline
    Ans 1. Yes, you can. But be sure to give 3 of them to the guy sitting underneath the bridge near Akil's farm.

Ans 2. You cannot begin chapter 4 without completing Jharkendar.

Ans 3. Have you played Gothic? If yes, then as a mercenary you can always spend the night at Cavalorn's old place. If not, then look for a red roofed shelter west-north-west of the castle. It's there on the map.

Also, shouldn't you be a dragon hunter or mage or knight yourself if there are dragon hunters in the castle?

12. Beiträge anzeigen #12

shrekdj ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Nisarg Beitrag anzeigen
    Ans 2. You cannot begin chapter 4 without completing Jharkendar.
    Okay! .. Gotcha..It means I need to complete the quest with Vatras, Chapter 2 starts immediately with the possession of Key to Valley of Mines (although I can't enter Jharkendar in Chapter 1). I can enter Jharkendar any time before Chapter 4!!..DONE

Ans 3. Have you played Gothic? If yes, then as a mercenary you can always spend the night at Cavalorn's old place. If not, then look for a red roofed shelter west-north-west of the castle. It's there on the map.
    Nope not played G1 .

Also, shouldn't you be a dragon hunter or mage or knight yourself if there are dragon hunters in the castle?
    I am supposed to be a dragon hunter as a Merc since I have the heavy Dragon hunters armor. Atleast by the looks I feel. So, it means paladin don't give a shit for Mercs in the Castle. What about Mages??? Can they rest in peace in the Castle???

Another how helpful are the Acrobatics??

13. Beiträge anzeigen #13
    Knight Commander

Nisarg ist offline
    (although I can't enter Jharkendar in Chapter 1).
    That's odd. IIRC you can enter it any time.

Nope not played G1 .
    Still, you will find the red building WNW of the castle on the map.

I am supposed to be a dragon hunter as a Merc since I have the heavy Dragon hunters armor.
    You're a dragon hunter from the moment Bennet dresses you up in the dragon hunter's armour.

What about Mages??? Can they rest in peace in the Castle???
    Ah, I don't know. It is true that if you go to sleep on one of the beds when no one is in there, they don't seem to mind.

Another how helpful are the Acrobatics??
    Very useful for running away. But there's no other reason apart from that. Jumping around after you get acrobatics (requires a ton of dexterity) is much faster than jogging around, though not as fast as drinking a speed potion and running.

14. Beiträge anzeigen #14

shrekdj ist offline
    Except Halvor (only silver goods) no one delivers a fair price when gold and silver items are sold. By now I have accumulated a lot and around 30 silver rings and 18 gold dishes and many pearls but no merchant, as far as I count, seems specific a buyer of gold or silver as a result throughout the game loose a lot of impressive loot for a measly 200-300 gold.
    Is there any merchant to whom Gold and Silver can be sold for a better value? ( 30% or higher of the Value )
    Geändert von shrekdj (11.03.2012 um 09:59 Uhr)

15. Beiträge anzeigen #15

shrekdj ist offline
    And on a side note, with All my posts on here, I want to continue in this single thread only to my doubts for help or people just needing someone to talk to.

But I think soon no one answers them?

We all need help at some point and later help whom you can, but veteran players should help because someday they might be the only person around who will help, if people don;t support..anyways thanks for all your time and hopefully I want to continue with this thread rather making every single thread to get the help..so please listen to a newbie gothic player and many others like me and spend a minute for our gameplay doubts.. thanks

16. Beiträge anzeigen #16

Windmacht ist offline
    Is there any merchant to whom Gold and Silver can be sold for a better value? ( 30% or higher of the Value )
    No, there is no further merchant, who pays more gold for such items than other merchants.

17. Beiträge anzeigen #17

shrekdj ist offline
    hi need some help .. regarding

For 1h/2H weapons the well-known Damage-to-critical formula is that the % rate of skill will ensure % of critical hits with addition of the Players Strength over and above the Base Damage of the respective weapon.
    Eg: 100% 1H Skill
    100 STR
    130 DMG / 130 STR Required for Orc Slayer
    That results in 100% chances of critical hits making 230 DMG.

Does this notion hold on DEX based Bows? For a 1H DEX based Betty, what counts for a Critical hit DEX or STR over the normal damage of 100???

My Bow Skill currently @ 94% with DEX 145 and equipped Oak Bow (140 DEx / 140 Damage), also STR @ 45.

How are critical hits calculated for Bows?
    ...Adds DEX or STR over the Base Damage for a critical hit???

I have read that every hit from a Bow is a critical hit, but having invested LP to reach 140 DEX, Is it possible for any Bow to make extra Damage beyond the Base Damage, namely, Oak Bow making over 140 Damage on every shot??

thanks//
    Geändert von shrekdj (24.03.2012 um 04:59 Uhr)

18. Beiträge anzeigen #18

Windmacht ist offline
    First of all the strength value will also be considered by doing a normal hit in close combat fight

The formula in close combat fight is:

Normal hit: (Weapon damage + strength value - protection of the target against the harmed kind of damage* - 1/10) = damage on the target.
    Critical hit: Weapon damage + strength value - protection of the target against the harmed kind of damage = damage on the target.
    * Means either edge damage (caused by swords and axes) or blunt damage (caused by staffs and hammers)

This also counts for close combat weapons with dex as requirement (Betty, Master Sword, Rapier,...). So raising dex will not increase the damage in close combat fight, but strength will so.

I have read that every hit from a Bow is a critical hit..
    Yes, that's right.
    The formula for long-range fight is:
    Weapon damage + dexterity value - protection of the target against point* damage = damage on the target

*Bows and Crossbows always cause point damage.

So like in close combat fight strength is the damage increasing attribute, in long-range fight it is dexterity. Means also by using a crossbow, which requires strength - and not dexterity anymore like in Gothic 2 Vanilla - this formula will be used

So, the bow and crossbow skill has no influence on the harmed damage.
    With a higher skill the chance to hit a target from a higher distance will raise, even beyond 100%. But it is not worth to reach there a value more than 100%.

Furthermore the rate of fire will increase, when you reach a new "skill-step". Means marksman (30%) and master (60%):
    Beginner: Bow - 48 shoots per minute, crossbow - 43 shoots per minute
    Marksman.: Bow - 51 shoots per minute, crossbow - 46 shoots per minute
    Master: Bow - 59 shoots per minute, crossbow - 57 shoots per minute

For a detailled list about the kind of damage caused by close combat weapons look here: One-Handed Weapons and Two-Handed Weapons
    For the protection value of the monsters look here: Click

19. Beiträge anzeigen #19
    Ehrengarde

Dimus ist offline
    Windmacht, can you show us formulas for the hit distance and shooting speed calculation?

20. Beiträge anzeigen #20

Windmacht ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Dimus Beitrag anzeigen
    Windmacht, can you show us formulas for the hit distance and shooting speed calculation?
    Sry, don't have any formulas for both.

The shooting speed values are based on a test of a user from the german Gothic forum:

Zitat Zitat von Amalor Beitrag anzeigen

- deutlich langsamer solang nicht gemeistert
    dazu hatte ich mal die Schussfrequenz gemessen:
    ungeübt: Bogen - 48 Schuss/min, Armbrust - 43 Schuss/min
    ausgeb.: Bogen - 51 Schuss/min, Armbrust - 46 Schuss/min
    Meister: Bogen - 59 Schuss/min, Armbrust - 57 Schuss/min

For the hit distance I found this 2 german posts: Click and Click.
    If I understand this two posts right, the chance to hit a target in 15 enginge metres (but don't know how an engine metre is defined) distances is equal to the current bow respectively crossbow skill.
    And the maximum distance is 45 metres, where the hit chance is 0%.

Between these two values the hit chance will be interpolated. For example (using a bow) with 100% bow skill you have a 50% chance to hit a target in 30 metres distance.

Seite 1 von 2 12 Letzte »