Home Gothic Gothic II Gothic 3 Gothic 4 Downloads Forums

Seite 1 von 2 12 Letzte »
Ergebnis 1 bis 20 von 21
  1. Beiträge anzeigen #1
    Apprentice

Cairn ist offline

What's better for combat purposes leveling up my Strength or my chosen wpn skill?

I'm referring to Gothic 2 with the Night of the Raven expansion.

So what is better, or rather what is more helpful if I focus on leveling it up if I want to gain a greater ease in my melee combat victories against enemies, focusing primarily on leveling up my Strength or primarily focusing on leveling up my chosen weapon skill, which is currently one-handed weapons. (I know it's better to level up both. I'm trying to get back into the flow of the missions, but I'm pathetic right now as I die too easily, and I was hoping to learn from you experienced Gothic II veterans out there which would help me best to stay my ground and actually be capable of accomplishing simple missions. I mean I can barely fight the weakest of bandits, and that's only because I block like crazy and do a quick right cut. And where there's more than 1 of them, there's just no way that I'll win. I'm talking like 2 to 4 hits and I'm down.)

A related question:
    Concerning the swords that require Dexterity to use rather than Strength, is the damage they do calculated by using strength or Dexterity? I could assume that they use Dexterity in their calculation, but then that would be assuming that the programers made a distinction between Dexterity swords and Strength swords when inputting the damage equations that they'd use. I don't usually like to make such assumptions, primarily because different gaming companies do different things, and some of those different things that they do make moderate to perfect sense, while just as many don't.

Another related question:
    Anyone have the link to the thread or forum that posts the damage formulas for Gothic II?
    Geändert von Cairn (05.10.2011 um 03:08 Uhr)

2. Beiträge anzeigen #2
    Knight Commander Avatar von TudoracheMG

TudoracheMG ist offline
    Dexterity-based weapons have their damage output calculated based on your strength
    Get at least to the "Fighter" level of either one-handed or two-handed.It makes things much easier
    I recommend two-handed weapons,they have much greater reach,so it's easier to deal with foes.But it's about preference

3. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #3
    Mythos Avatar von Onisuzume

Onisuzume ist offline
    Here's a hint: try the Help forum.
    Or an even better hint: the NotR strength training guide in said help forum.

4. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #4
    Demigod Avatar von Bastardo

Bastardo ist offline
    At first it's better to focus on one or two-handed skill, only spend points on strength for the purpose of passing the strength prerequisite of whatever semi-decent weapon you can get.
    Geändert von Bastardo (05.10.2011 um 20:07 Uhr)

5. Beiträge anzeigen #5
    Demigod Avatar von Dino

Dino ist offline
    I'd first go for at least 30 weapon skill, then maybe focus on some str and then get to 60 asap.
    My choice is always 1h and I don't even bother to train 2h at all. I prefer speed over strength when it comes to Gothic

6. Beiträge anzeigen #6
    Hero Avatar von Tratos

Tratos ist offline
    --> Moved to Help Section.

7. Beiträge anzeigen #7
    Apprentice

Cairn ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Onisuzume Beitrag anzeigen
    Here's a hint: try the Help forum.
    Or an even better hint: the NotR strength training guide in said help forum.
    Alright, thanks, I'll just click this link right here . . . . . . . it seems that no matter how many time I click, nothing happens. Oh yeah, that's right, cause you didn't leave one, thanks buddy!!!

Not all of us have been gifted with the obvious intellect that you have. I've attempted to look for answers on this forum, but it seem sort of difficult to figure out exactly where to find them.

8. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #8
    Mythos Avatar von Onisuzume

Onisuzume ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Cairn Beitrag anzeigen
    Alright, thanks, I'll just click this link right here . . . . . . . it seems that no matter how many time I click, nothing happens. Oh yeah, that's right, cause you didn't leave one, thanks buddy!!!

Not all of us have been gifted with the obvious intellect that you have. I've attempted to look for answers on this forum, but it seem sort of difficult to figure out exactly where to find them.
    Ever heard of the search function?

9. Beiträge anzeigen #9
    Apprentice

Cairn ist offline
    It seems that most of you are recommending skill as the first primary focus to help me fight halfway decently, and then strength after I have halfway decent skill.

I guess I'll go ahead and take that route then. And thanks to Onisuzume there, now I even know that a fighting tips page exists. I may not know where it is, but I definitely know that it exists, all because of Onisuzume.

J/k Onisuzume, thanks for the info, but still, a link would have been nice.

10. Beiträge anzeigen #10
    Apprentice

Cairn ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Onisuzume Beitrag anzeigen
    Ever heard of the search function?
    I've already done that. It didn't seem to provide the answers I was looking for.

11. Beiträge anzeigen #11
    Apprentice

Cairn ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von TudoracheMG Beitrag anzeigen
    Dexterity-based weapons have their damage output calculated based on your strength
    Get at least to the "Fighter" level of either one-handed or two-handed.It makes things much easier
    I recommend two-handed weapons,they have much greater reach,so it's easier to deal with foes.But it's about preference
    Hey, thanks a lot, I was looking at this Rapier I got under a couple of trolls that I learned how to kill with that hunter's help, of course. It has a dmg of 100 and requires only 50 Dex to use. Now that I've finally gotten my Dex up, I can focus more on my skill and strength to improve my use of it.

And in case anyone's wondering, (I know I hate it when someone stops a message short of stating an answer that I'm looking for.) what I mean by "learned" how to kill the troll is that I learned the best way of fighting it. I didn't get some kind of in-game training, and I had to have the hunter's help because I was still too weak to actually win facing the troll alone. I needed someone to attack/distract the troll.

The way I defeated a troll at a weak lower level - in case anyone's wondering and hates it when people stop short of answering a question that they can't seem to find the answer for.

Spoiler:(zum lesen bitte Text markieren)

And in case anyone else is wondering exactly what I did to kill that troll despite my weak state, I would strafe around the troll so that it kept rotating. If you're close enough, you can strafe around it and attack once at the back faster than it can rotate to face you. The hunter that was there, that I led the troll to was able to keep hitting it while it was trying to face me. Then whenever it tried to attack him, I ran behind it and attacked it. This goes on for about a minute or two, but this method makes a troll quite easy to kill even at lower levels, so long as your help doesn't die and actually does enough damage to keep the battle from going on for too long. The longer the battle takes, the harder it is, well for me at least, to keep away from that dangerous front side.
    Geändert von Cairn (20.10.2011 um 09:46 Uhr)

12. Beiträge anzeigen #12
    Local Hero

andorian22 ist offline
    The black troll, there's a rock you can stand behind and just whack him
    It might take forever with low skills but it can be done.

The bitch is, if you ain't got "take skins" you won't have a skin
    for a later quest

13. Beiträge anzeigen #13
    Knight Commander

Nisarg ist offline
    Yes, not to mention that after the quest's completed, you could also 'reacquire' the skin and sell it (especially useful for the skin-seller's apprentice).
    My skin for Opera Web Browser.[Bild: tOC_sig1.jpg]

14. Beiträge anzeigen #14
    Sword Master Avatar von C-Hawk

C-Hawk ist offline
    I know this post is off-topic, but:

@Cairn, this is not to bash you, but to learn you something.

1. When you want to add something to your last post, use the ''edit'' button, top-right corner of your post.
    2. When you want to post a spoiler, use the special button: see the three bars above? check the lowest one -> 4th from the right (red bar on top of a grey field; can't miss it ). Use that button to spoiler something. Check below to see the result.
    edit: When editing after using a spoiler, you have to replace the spoiler. (I have to now:P)

Don't get so upset because of a missing link, we all just want to help you.
    But I think you're right about that link, have you found the right page yet?
    Arcadia - A click and win tale
    Geändert von C-Hawk (07.10.2011 um 16:52 Uhr)

15. Beiträge anzeigen #15
    Local Hero

Cyclops1953 ist offline
    To kill the Black Troll:

Buy the Shrink Troll spell scroll from Zuris

16. Beiträge anzeigen #16
    Knight Commander

Nisarg ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Cyclops1953 Beitrag anzeigen
    To kill the Black Troll:

Buy the Shrink Troll spell scroll from Zuris
    Shrink Monster spell: And you should reserve it for whatever you go hunting in Chapter 4

17. Beiträge anzeigen #17
    Local Hero

Cyclops1953 ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Nisarg Beitrag anzeigen
    Shrink Monster spell: And you should reserve it for whatever you go hunting in Chapter 4
    Never needed it by ch 4,NH is a lot stronger by then

18. Beiträge anzeigen #18
    Knight Commander

Nisarg ist offline
    I find it quite convenient when the game just fails to render my enemy - at least I don't like battling such dangerous enemies when they're invisible.

19. Beiträge anzeigen #19
    Apprentice

Cairn ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von C-Hawk Beitrag anzeigen
    I know this post is off-topic, but:

@Cairn, this is not to bash you, but to learn you something.

1. When you want to add something to your last post, use the ''edit'' button, top-right corner of your post.
    2. When you want to post a spoiler, use the special button: see the three bars above? check the lowest one -> 4th from the right (red bar on top of a grey field; can't miss it ). Use that button to spoiler something. Check below to see the result.
    edit: When editing after using a spoiler, you have to replace the spoiler. (I have to now:P)

Don't get so upset because of a missing link, we all just want to help you.
    But I think you're right about that link, have you found the right page yet?
    Thanks, I didn't know about the special "spoiler" button, but I didn't want to edit it because I was answering someone. I always assumed edit was reserved for additional information that I learned later on, not when I was responding to people.

As for that spoiler button, thanks for making me aware of it, but I can't seem to find it. I'm looking at all of the buttons on your post, mine, and all of the check mark locations and none of them seem to indicate that they create special spoiler input.

I'll try the brackets and see that works:
    [SPOILER]spoiler testing.

Didn't work.

All I see, during an edit is:
    upper left: Profile, Send PM, Find Posts
    upper right: Edit, quote, "<, #19
    bottom right: save, go advanced, delete, cancel

All I see using advanced is: (And advanced seems to be about the same as a regular reply.)
    upper right: User cp, FAQ, Member list, calendar, new posts, search, links, log out.
    Right: Smileys
    bottom: Smileys again
    bottom right: Save changes, preview changes.
    further bottom: Automatically parse links in text, Disable similes in text, subscription, then posting permissions, and on down, nothing looks like a special "spoiler" button.

I apologize if I seem stupid, but I'm not seeing how to set the spoiler anywhere. I see a lot of other people did it with no problem, but I just can't find it.

Oh wait a minute, I see it, I found it!!! Woo hoo!!! I was looking everywhere around the text box when I should have been looking inside the text box at all of those typing tools up there.

Thanks, sorry I didn't see it right away, but I'm not at all accustomed to using the text-box tools found here. I've always just ignored them, and it seems to a point where I forgot they were even there.
    Geändert von Cairn (20.10.2011 um 09:27 Uhr)

20. Beiträge anzeigen #20
    Apprentice

Cairn ist offline
    Well, I am playing NOTR, and I took the merc route, and while I'm not sure which version of Gothic 2 you were playing, I couldn't survive on my own at all in chapter 4.

I couldn't even take down the swamp dragon with Biff's help. However, Pirahnabytes had the foresight to include those other two guys, which made the dragon quite easy. I think I managed to hit the dragon once before it died.

Sure, I could fight one on one with just about any creature except a Dragon Snapper, but that was about the extent of my abilities going into chapter 4. Without help, I wouldn't have been able to do anything but run around with speed potions and Hasty Herrings. That would have been fun all of about 10 minutes.

Seite 1 von 2 12 Letzte »