Home Risen Risen2 Risen3 Forum English Russian

Registrieren Hilfe Kalender Heutige Beiträge
Seite 1 von 2 12 Letzte »
Ergebnis 1 bis 20 von 38
  1. #1 Zitieren
    Fighter Avatar von Saberstorm
    What do you think about this? It says it has been in the US for 18 months, but I never heard of it.

What will it do to small developers? Publishers?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...les-discs.html
    "Don't throw stones at every dog that barks at you" George Silver
    Saberstorm ist offline

2. #2 Zitieren
    Dragonslayer Avatar von Powaz
    Clouds are the biggest evil. Welcome to privatized internet.
    Powaz ist offline

3. #3 Zitieren
    banned
    It's certainly a good innovation, but personally I'll still stick to the old-fashioned DVDs, even if clouds are extended to the rest of Europe as well. And I think there are other people who will still have more trust in the old ways of playing games. Who knows what the future will bring or how successful cloud gaming is going to be ... I don't think the developers and publishers will suffer from this ... the only ones who might be affected in case cloud gaming replaces the old-fashioned one are pirates.
    Assassin of Kings ist offline

4. #4 Zitieren
    Dragonslayer Avatar von Powaz
    ^Very imprudent reasoning. Clouds are on the same coin as DRM. For me, as a consumer (let's strategically "play" by the rules of the system), this is quite worrying. It is a trick of suspending the rights of commodity ownership. It iss no longer that I exchange my hard earned money for a commodity I can use when I want, it is more like paying a constant rent. In other words, the games I will play online will be owned by someone else, which leads us to the ownership of the Clouds themselves. Clouds sound very nice and progressive but the truth is simple: whoever will control the Clouds will control the flow of information and eventually the user. It is a way to privatize our communal space.

And please, none of that "only affects the pirates" logic, which is an ideology used as a justification for changing the coordinates of the notion of ownership, resulting in the loss of our rights, while pretending to be for the "greater good". Mere scapegoating.
    Powaz ist offline Geändert von Powaz (30.09.2011 um 20:17 Uhr)

5. #5 Zitieren
    Knight Commander
    You took the words out of my mouth, Powaz.
    My skin for Opera Web Browser.[Bild: tOC_sig1.jpg]
    Nisarg ist offline

6. #6 Zitieren

Metasyntaktische Variable
    Well, technically there are still some problems to solve. You need a high bandwidth connection with low latency for that. Even though, services like OnLive have to reduce graphics quality (usually in the chroma channel) to be playable at the minimum requirements (3 Mbit/s, IIRC).

But it will come and I predict that in a few years, we will have the same discussion about OnLive & Co. which we have now regarding Steam. Publishers will go to OnLive because it prevents piracy - the customers never get a copy of the game's code so they can't duplicate it. Why sell the game when you can milk people without giving it away? And most customers will also like it. No more expensive hardware required, no installation process, no more freeing up disk space, no driver updates or software patches. Plug and Play in its purest form. Gaming like television. Just switch on the box, select a channel and start playing. And the only people who'll have problems with that kind of thing are these whining, grumpy, old-fashioned dinosaurs who are never satisfied with anything anyway (like me). And who cares about those few idiots anyway?
    foobar ist offline

7. #7 Zitieren
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq
    I sense the golden age of piracy is coming faster then ever. Hackers WILL hack the servers and take the games, that is beyond any doubt. But maybe I am wrong, and Intel, MSI, nVidia and ATi will take a stand as they risk losing their business.
    For the most recent Elex news, the new Piranha Bytes RPG, visit us at World of Elex!!!
    Maladiq ist offline

8. #8 Zitieren
    Knight Commander
    Zitat Zitat von Maladiq Beitrag anzeigen
    But maybe I am wrong, and Intel, MSI, nVidia and ATi will take a stand as they risk losing their business.
    I hope they do against this cloud gaming nonsense. Their only customers remaining, if this becomes common, would be the chaps buying Quadros and similar workstation cards.
    Nisarg ist offline

9. #9 Zitieren
    banned
    Zitat Zitat von foobar Beitrag anzeigen
    And most customers will also like it. No more expensive hardware required, no installation process, no more freeing up disk space, no driver updates or software patches. Plug and Play in its purest form. Gaming like television. Just switch on the box, select a channel and start playing. And the only people who'll have problems with that kind of thing are these whining, grumpy, old-fashioned dinosaurs who are never satisfied with anything anyway (like me). And who cares about those few idiots anyway?
    Personally I won't like it. As long as games are published both on DVDs and on OnLive, I have no problem with it, but I wouldn't like to be forced to play them on that new system. As you know, I'm not against Steam because it doesn't force you to be online whenever you play a game (only when you install it), but not being able to play a game without a working internet connection is a no-go even for me. For example, today there was some trouble with the local area network or something like that and my internet connection didn't work for several hours. Luckily I had Dead Island to occupy my time with, even though I was offline. But if I didn't have that or any other game installed on my PC, my morning would have been as boring as hell. That's why I don't like the perspective of having to be online to select which game to play and that's why I'd never use cloud gaming. And unless they find a way to make sure that the internet connection can never fail, I hope they won't ever quit releasing DVDs.

10. #10 Zitieren
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq
    Zitat Zitat von Nisarg Beitrag anzeigen
    I hope they do against this cloud gaming nonsense. Their only customers remaining, if this becomes common, would be the chaps buying Quadros and similar workstation cards.
    And here we are, choosing the lesser evil. It is a known fact that hardware manufacturers make every new generation of hardware incompatible with the old on purpose, yet cloud gaming makes us root for them.
    For the most recent Elex news, the new Piranha Bytes RPG, visit us at World of Elex!!!
    Maladiq ist offline

11. #11 Zitieren
    Fighter Avatar von Saberstorm
    I hope there will be more companies than OnLive offering this. I can see a problem if there is only one Cloud Gaming system. They would demand a larger and larger cut of the money from the publisher/developer. This would weaken the industry. I would think that this does not require much to set up Cloud gaming and that there will be competitors to keep the fees competitive so the developers and publishers can make money.
    "Don't throw stones at every dog that barks at you" George Silver
    Saberstorm ist offline

12. #12 Zitieren
    Knight Commander
    Zitat Zitat von Maladiq Beitrag anzeigen
    And here we are, choosing the lesser evil. It is a known fact that hardware manufacturers make every new generation of hardware incompatible with the old on purpose, yet cloud gaming makes us root for them.
    Yes, that is true. Because cloud gaming is the eel's eyebrows compared to what these manufacturers do.
    Nisarg ist offline

13. #13 Zitieren
    banned
    Zitat Zitat von Saberstorm Beitrag anzeigen
    I hope there will be more companies than OnLive offering this. I can see a problem if there is only one Cloud Gaming system. They would demand a larger and larger cut of the money from the publisher/developer. This would weaken the industry. I would think that this does not require much to set up Cloud gaming and that there will be competitors to keep the fees competitive so the developers and publishers can make money.
    When cloud gaming becomes more widespread competition is bound to appear. I wouldn't be surprised if Steam will also feature cloud gaming and become a rival for OnLive.

14. #14 Zitieren

Zitat Zitat von Assassin of Kings Beitrag anzeigen
    When cloud gaming becomes more widespread competition is bound to appear.
    Not necessarily. Cloud gaming is a two-sided market. If you play your cards right, you can utilise the network effects to become the dominant player and practically control the market. Like MS/Windows for operating systems or Steam for online distribution.
    foobar ist offline

15. #15 Zitieren
    Demigod Avatar von Dino
    Damn, am I getting too old for this, or cloud gaming seems to be plain stupid?
    Dino ist offline

16. #16 Zitieren

Zitat Zitat von Dino Beitrag anzeigen
    Damn, am I getting too old for this, or cloud gaming seems to be plain stupid?
    Both. Like I said, it's the next logical step from online distribution (like Steam). Some time ago, I was the cranky old dotard complaining how stupid Steam is. And most of the cool, stylish youngsters could not even understand what I was trying to say. History repeating itself, you'll be next and face a mass of seemingly mindless customer droids who are all enthralled by this new cool approach towards gaming. Enjoy.
    foobar ist offline

17. #17 Zitieren
    Demigod Avatar von Dino
    Zitat Zitat von foobar Beitrag anzeigen
    Both. Like I said, it's the next logical step from online distribution (like Steam). Some time ago, I was the cranky old dotard complaining how stupid Steam is. And most of the cool, stylish youngsters could not even understand what I was trying to say. History repeating itself, you'll be next and face a mass of seemingly mindless customer droids who are all enthralled by this new cool approach towards gaming. Enjoy.
    Reminded me of something:

"back in the 80s..."
    Father: Son, your taste in music is horrible.
    Son: Oh shut up dad, you don't like it because it's not old.. I'm gonna keep up with the new stuff because it's cool
    "30 years later"
    The son walks arround and hears some little brats listening to justin bieber and other such stuff
    Jesus, what's wrong with kids these days? How can they listen to such horrible music... wait, what have I become?
    Dino ist offline

18. #18 Zitieren
    banned
    If could gaming is ever going to become the only form of gaming out there, we could still keep an old PC, play the good old games on it and ignore the trend. That's what I would do.

19. #19 Zitieren
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq
    Looks like it is time to search for a new hobby. Well, as far as I heard, Microsoft is planning a cloud OS, and everything comes with an intention to dominate the gaming market: all games, brand new, under 8 dollars. Or at least that is the rumour.
    Maladiq ist offline

20. #20 Zitieren
    Knight Commander
    This is getting better and better!
    Nisarg ist offline

Seite 1 von 2 12 Letzte »