Home Risen Risen2 Risen3 Forum English Russian

Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts
Page 1 of 3 123 Last »
  1. #1 Reply With Quote
    According to the new R2 website:

The known world consists of two continents: the Old Empire in the north which largely lies in ruins and Arborea in the south, as well as several smaller and larger islands dotted in between.

The Inquisition's last remaining safe haven still stands at the very southern tip of the Empire. The remaining Empire territory is at the mercy of the Titans' wrath and has not withstood the storm.

The archipelago south of the Old Empire is known as the Southern Seas. The islands stretch across several nautical miles. Some have been colonized, while dark sagas and old myths swirl mysteriously around others. Thus, there are islands that have been neither explored nor touched by civilization.

The islands of Faranga and Gaurus lie east of the archipelago.
    Gaurus, which is where the nameless hero's journey began, and Faranga, where he experienced his first adventure and fought against the Fire Titan.

Arborea, a continent in the south, is currently being explored and colonised by the Inquisition. So far, little is known about this land. But as it has long been spared by the Titans, it is the people’s last hope for a place which they can call home.

Quote Originally Posted by LordOfWAR
    None of the islands has the shape of Faranga, therefore I believe those are the Islands of the Southern Seas, IMO the real Southern Islands of the Gothic Universe.

[Bild: maegjaace.jpg]

Faranga and Gaurus could be the Eastern Archipelago from Gothic according to this map:

[Bild: 6jlukia.jpg]

Therefore I see the full map as such: In the east lies Khorinis. To the west there is the Myrtanian Empire. North of Khorinis is the island of Irdorath. South-east of Khorinis one can find Faranga and Gaurus, or the Eastern Archipelago.

South west of Khorinis and the EA we can find the Southern Islands, exactly under Myrtana. And if we continue to the south, we find Arborea.
    For the most recent Elex news, the new Piranha Bytes RPG, visit us at World of Elex!!!

2. #2 Reply With Quote
    banned
    I think the connection with Gothic is pretty obvious. The Old Empire has to be the old continent from Gothic, the mainland, consisting of Myrtana, Varant and Nordmar. In Risen 1, a place called "the mainland" is often mentioned and I always thought that's supposed to be the old continent in Gothic. And that mainland is probably The Old Empire, or better said, The Old Kingdom of Myrtana.

The Southern Seas is obviously another name for The Southern Isles. And Faranga and Gaurus are part of the Eastern Archipelago. Arborea is probably the only location which doesn't have any relation with the old world of Gothic as we know it, but that is justified as it's an island which is colonized during the events of Risen, so it was probably unknown in Gothic.

I'm sure that Risen is a sequel to Gothic. There are just too many similarities. A mage banishing the gods, ending their influence on earth and so on and so forth ...

3. #3 Reply With Quote
    I don't see it. I mean, really, if you're set to see patterns in randomness, you'll see them.

According to the description, this is how it looks to me:

[Bild: XnMyiXTi8axtESpYX1.jpg]

4. #4 Reply With Quote
    banned
    The map which appears in the trailer surely looks different from the map you drew from your imagination, Larisa.

I wager that the continent that can be seen there in the middle (teaser map) is the Old Empire. Isn't it approximately the same shape and size with the old continent from Gothic? And one of the islands east of the supposed Old Empire should be the isle of Khorinis. I'm guessing the easternmost continent is Arborea, and the island above it is Khorinis.

5. #5 Reply With Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Assassin of Kings View Post
    The map which appears in the trailer surely looks different from the map you drew from your imagination, Larisa.

Surely, since I think that's the map for the archipelago and not for the whole world.

I wager that the continent that can be seen there in the middle (teaser map) is the Old Empire. Isn't it approximately the same shape and size with the old continent from Gothic? And one of the islands east of the supposed Old Empire should be the isle of Khorinis. I'm guessing the easternmost continent is Arborea, and the island above it is Khorinis.
    You mean like this: ?
    [Bild: U2.jpg]

How does that fit the description from the website?

6. #6 Reply With Quote
    banned
    I think you're right and that map is indeed just for the archipelago. I haven't thought of that. Anyway, regardless of that map, I like to think that Risen is sequel to Gothic.

7. #7 Reply With Quote
    I've always looked at Risen's world as different from Gothic's, just that PB tried to keep some references there for the fans.

If they currently hold any rights to the Gothic universe, they will probably make a more direct connection, which is fine by me either way.

8. #8 Reply With Quote
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalagmite View Post
    I've always looked at Risen's world as different from Gothic's, just that PB tried to keep some references there for the fans.
    Or perhaps the main story of Risen was their idea for a Gothic 4, only that they couldn't release a Gothic 4 due to loosing the rights, so they had to mask it under a new name. And that's how Risen was born.

9. #9 Reply With Quote
    ... I think all the islands are not charted on maps, and I believe that Captain Greg has coordinates of these islands. Will the mystery of finding these coordinates be one of our major tasks?

10. #10 Reply With Quote
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by UrukGox View Post
    ... I think all the islands are not charted on maps, and I believe that Captain Greg has coordinates of these islands.
    Or Gregorious Steelbeard, as he's now called. It would be really cool if they were proven to be one and the same.

Anyway, what you're saying is of course just an assumption, but it would be nice to discover an uncharted island where the hero will fight a titan boss, like the NH from Gothic discovered the Isle of Irdorath in Gothic 2.

11. #11 Reply With Quote
    Here's how I see it.

Spoiler:(zum lesen bitte Text markieren)

The hero was on his way to the mainland from Gaurus when the ship sunk. He ended up on Faranga and then made his way to the Southern Islands.

EDIT: And I agree with Larisa that the map only depicts the archipelago of the Southern Seas.
    For the most recent Elex news, the new Piranha Bytes RPG, visit us at World of Elex!!!

12. #12 Reply With Quote
    There is a little resemblance on how the islands look and how are positioned with Arcania.

[Bild: CBCT70bvLNJ43.jpg]

loosing the rights
    They didn't lose them, they sold them. And iirc they had the 'first option' and declined.

13. #13 Reply With Quote
    Veteran
    Getting more and more excited each day. I always considered that only after the launch of R2 they might think of uniting the brands.

But then again, if they knew that by the time they get to launch R2 on the market they have the rights to gothic back, then they might have considered to make the connection sonner since there is nothing ilegal in that

14. #14 Reply With Quote

Piranha-Bytes
    Quote Originally Posted by Larisa View Post
    They didn't lose them, they sold them. And iirc they had the 'first option' and declined.
    <MYTHBUSTER/BS-BUSTER MODE>
    You've got that wrong.
    </MYTHBUSTER/BS-BUSTER MODE>

As for the topic - there are no intended connections. But if you search long enough, you'll probably find references to 666 and 23 as well

15. #15 Reply With Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rüve View Post
    <MYTHBUSTER/BS-BUSTER MODE>
    You've got that wrong.
    </MYTHBUSTER/BS-BUSTER MODE>
    Afaik... the first option would have been for Gothic 5. Am I right?

16. #16 Reply With Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rüve View Post
    You've got that wrong.
    Which part?

After the failure of the negotiations with Pluto 13 only JoWooD is allowed to produce the game Gothic 4 with another development studio and publish it worldwide.
    http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1991

But then again, it's a translation and possibly a wrong interpretation.

17. #17 Reply With Quote
    banned
    I think Maladiq's map is the most accurate, only that Faranga and Gaurus, if we consider them to be the Eastern Archipelago, should be a bit northeast of Khorinis and not southeast.

There is a little resemblance on how the islands look and how are positioned with Arcania.

[Bild: CBCT70bvLNJ43.jpg]
    That shit doesn't have anything to do with Gothic ... There is no such thing as feshir or argaan.

@Michael Ruve: So does that mean that our hopes of Risen being the continuation of Gothic are shattered for good? Don't tell me Risen 1 had no connection whatsoever with Gothic. The mage banishing the gods from the earth, the lizard people ... where did that come from if not from Gothic?

18. #18 Reply With Quote
    Which part?

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1991

But then again, it's a translation and possibly a wrong interpretation.
    What I believe Mike's saying is that PB never sold the Gothic rights, and they still own them. JoWood was allowed to make Gothic 4, which was Arcania, and now PB once again have control over the series.

19. #19 Reply With Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Delicieuxz View Post
    PB never sold the Gothic rights
    They sold 'some rights'. They gave JW some games and the right to make other games and received money for this. Perhaps "sold" is not the correct word in this context, but then, neither is "lost the rights".

20. #20 Reply With Quote
    @Michael Ruve: So does that mean that our hopes of Risen being the continuation of Gothic are shattered for good? Don't tell me Risen 1 had no connection whatsoever with Gothic. The mage banishing the gods from the earth, the lizard people ... where did that come from if not from Gothic?
    This thread is specifically about geographical similarities, and that is what he is denying. I wouldn't read too much into it beyond that.

It's obvious from the Risen intro concept that some connection between the two was being considered at one point; they haven't revealed whether they currently consider this to be the case.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last »