Home Gothic Gothic II Gothic 3 Gothic 4 Downloads Forums

Seite 1 von 5 12345 Letzte »
Ergebnis 1 bis 20 von 94
  1. Beiträge anzeigen #1
    Adventurer Avatar von doros

doros ist offline

g1 Which camp?

I just started playing Gothic for the first time. I'm an old school TES junkie, and I've been hearing good things about the Gothic series for years, so when I spotted the first two games for cheap, I figured I'd give them a shot. I'm only level 4 so far, and I'm wondering: which camp should I pick? I'm thinking of playing as a hybrid warrior/ mage. Please, no spoilers! Or as few spoilers as possible!

I like the idea of blowing up that magic barrier, rather than sitting around inside it- I'm getting out one way or another. I'm also VERY keen on learning Water Magic (from what I gather, it's mostly Ice/ Lightning based, right?), and I like the color blue. So, New Camp seems like a cool choice, and I'm naturally gravitating towards it. However, while I like the libertarian posturings of the New Camp on the surface, I just got there and it's giving off some serious Animal Farm vibes. And I don't like the gear at all- the Old Camp has a better sense of style.

The Old Camp is ticking me off with all these guards asking for protection money all the time. I don't like the idea of resigning myself to this prison for the sake of some creature comforts, and I'm not so keen on learning Fire Magic (I'd be fine dabbling in it, but Water is where I aught'er be). However, I do like the armor they've got, despite the color. And I'd love to get access to that castle, maybe even a room to squat in!

Finally, the Sect camp seems like a bunch of insane hippies. I like the armor, but they can keep their Kool-Aid and tracksuits, thanks.

So a couple questions (again, not looking for spoilers, just vague answers will be fine):

1) If I pick the New Camp, can I still get Old Camp armor? And can I get a room in the Old Camp castle?

2) If I pick the Old Camp, can I still learn Water Magic at some point? And I'm not forced to sit around and play by the Fire Mage's rules, am I?

2. Beiträge anzeigen #2
    Skinhead  Avatar von Hellbilly

Hellbilly ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von doros Beitrag anzeigen
    1) If I pick the New Camp, can I still get Old Camp armor? And can I get a room in the Old Camp castle?
    No, you can only get the armor of the camp you affiliate yourself with. But you do get a hut in the outer circle of the Old Camp to sleep in.

2) If I pick the Old Camp, can I still learn Water Magic at some point? And I'm not forced to sit around and play by the Fire Mage's rules, am I?
    Without spoiling anything, the camp you choose doesn't really limit the type of magic you can use or even acquire. One camp does (IIRC) limit the circle you can reach, though.

Spoiler:(zum lesen bitte Text markieren)
    That being the swamp camp

I don't think saying the following is spoling a lot, but if you want no glimpses into how the game turns out, don't read the following: playing as a melee/mage-combo is possible with all camps. Top-skill two-hander and maxed out magic might require some tiresome grinding and killing everything you can get your hands on, but maxed-out one-hander (sufficient enough even in late stages of the game) and maxed out magic is attainable relatively easy if you just explore the whole world.

3. Beiträge anzeigen #3
    General Avatar von KGS

KGS ist offline
    if you become a mage you can get the magic runes of each camp and use them, so it doesn't matter which camp you are in

the only 'real' warrior-mage hybrid is the templar of the sect camp, but you can do it with any camp really

no

picking a camp doesn't have any impact on the main story so go with whatever you like most

4. Beiträge anzeigen #4
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq

Maladiq ist offline
    Oh, how I envy you... I wish I could discover Gothic 1 once again...
    For the most recent Elex news, the new Piranha Bytes RPG, visit us at World of Elex!!!

5. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #5
    Demigod Avatar von Bastardo

Bastardo ist offline
    And can I get a room in the Old Camp castle?
    Nobody can get a room inside the castle. There are only two huts you can "officially" acquire in the game, pretty easy to find if you're in the habit of talking to everyone with a name.
    As for the camp choice it's really up to you. The New Camp has asses and downsides like every community, fictional or real, but at least they're independent, unlike the Old Camp, and mostly irreligious, unlike the sect. The Old Camp is the most popular choice for first timers. The sect is the sect. But they have free weed, I guess.
    Geändert von Bastardo (26.07.2011 um 17:28 Uhr)

6. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #6
    Mythos Avatar von Onisuzume

Onisuzume ist offline
    Top-skill two-hander and maxed out magic might require some tiresome grinding and killing everything you can get your hands on
    Easier for the New Camp since you don't need to master one-handed first.
    The New Camp has asses in it like every community, fictional or real, but at least they're independent, unlike the Old Camp, and mostly irreligious, unlike the sect.
    Fixed it for you.
    The Old Camp is ticking me off with all these guards asking for protection money all the time.
    You don't need to pay, ofcourse.

7. Beiträge anzeigen #7
    Fighter Avatar von SkullX

SkullX ist offline
    About that room ideea, after you become a member of Old Camp, you can sleep in the castle where Gomez is, not much of a deal I always did so(felt much better there)

Hope this don't spoil, but the World of Gothic can surprise you with Storm, Ice, and Fire...if you chose the Old Camp, you may become in the future...what you will wish to be....)darn, i su*k at things like this.
    If you even try to look the other way...

8. Beiträge anzeigen #8
    banned

Assassin of Kings ist offline
    My advice is to go with whichever camp you think is the best at the moment. Gothic works in such a way that when you'll finish the game you'll automatically want to start it over again and try a different camp, so it doesn't really matter which path you take on your first play.

As a hint, if you want to be able to try both camps at once, go for the Old Camp.

By the way, welcome to the wonderful World of Gothic! I'm glad to see nowadays there are still people who discover the most awesome game ever.

9. Beiträge anzeigen #9
    Sword Master Avatar von Mage Master

Mage Master ist offline
    I'm wondering how fast it took you to get used to the control scheme.
    Whatever, by what you said, I think you should go for the new camp, assuming the armore won't gouge out your eyes. And also, try to level up as much as possible before joining a camp, it will be very helpful.

Oh, and one question, have you met Mud yet? He's probably the most memorably character in gothic, for a certain reason.

10. Beiträge anzeigen #10
    banned

Assassin of Kings ist offline
    I want to hear from you when you finish the game. You should also share some final impressions with us.

How many hours do you play per day? I remember the first time when I played Gothic, I couldn't get up from my PC.

11. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #11
    Mythos Avatar von Onisuzume

Onisuzume ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Mage Master Beitrag anzeigen
    Oh, and one question, have you met Mud yet? He's probably the most memorably character in gothic, for a certain reason.
    That's one way of putting it.

12. Beiträge anzeigen #12

doros ist offline
    Adoring Fan? Yeah, I met him. I've beaten him senseless a couple times. Eat mud, Mud!

I'm still waffling. Last night I knew for sure that I was going Old Camp. Then this morning I woke up and thought, damn, for sure I'm going New Camp. I even briefly considered joining the Sect (on account of the badass armor). So far, it's S-O-N, descending order of cool armor, O-S-N, descending order of cool bases, N-O-S, descending order of cool ideology, and N-S-O, descending order of cool magey classes (I know mages aren't available for Secties, but the Templars seem fully righteous).

Will I get to go into the castle as a New Camper? I don't even care so much about sleeping there now, I just want to get in and poke around. Oh, and which factions have women? I noticed there were some spear-wielding Amazon chicks in the Sect Temple (seems the guards don't care if I stroll past them into off-limit areas?). Potential for female fraternization might be the tie breaker.

-edit- One more thing. Does the series ever specify what crime you committed? Or is it like TES, where you've got to fill in the gaps yourself?
    Geändert von doros (27.07.2011 um 22:20 Uhr)

13. Beiträge anzeigen #13
    Fighter Avatar von SkullX

SkullX ist offline

-edit- One more thing. Does the series ever specify what crime you committed? Or is it like TES, where you've got to fill in the gaps yourself?
    Don't think it's a spoil but it doesn't really specify...but the ideea is the nobody cares what you've done as it says in the Trailer...'YOU will be thrown in the Colony if you just steal a fucking APPLE"-->hope you will continue to share with us your journey, and don't forget to play Gothic 2 AFTER you finish it...you will be very very SURPRISED...have fun.
    If you even try to look the other way...

14. Beiträge anzeigen #14
    Ranger Avatar von maledepecher

maledepecher ist offline
    After you finish Gothic 1 you must begin Gothic 2 Night of Raven to enjoy full
    experience.

15. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #15
    Demigod Avatar von Bastardo

Bastardo ist offline
    Will I get to go into the castle as a New Camper?
    Eventually you will be able to go everywhere as anyone.
    Oh, and which factions have women?
    None, except for the occasional slave without dialogue.
    I noticed there were some spear-wielding Amazon chicks in the Sect Temple (seems the guards don't care if I stroll past them into off-limit areas?).
    Actually, those are fan-wielding slaves.
    No, it's never specified. Nothing that happened to the hero before he was convicted is ever addressed, and he never even says his name.
    But I believe that's just Gothic doing the mystery thing rather than a roleplay device.

16. Beiträge anzeigen #16
    General Avatar von KGS

KGS ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von One Stoned Bastard Beitrag anzeigen
    But I believe that's just Gothic doing the mystery thing rather than a roleplay device.
    in g3
    didn't thobar tell you something about being thrown there on purpose

but i regard g3 as shit so i don't really believe that ;d

17. Beiträge anzeigen #17
    Knight Commander

Nisarg ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von KGS Beitrag anzeigen
    in g3
    didn't thobar tell you something about being thrown there on purpose

but i regard g3 as shit so i don't really believe that ;d
    If I were a king getting my ass kicked by an enemy, about to be dethroned, and some convict comes up carving my enemy right and left, I'd also say something about Fate and having thrown him into the prison on Purpose after being incited by my Gad to do so.
    My skin for Opera Web Browser.[Bild: tOC_sig1.jpg]

18. Beiträge anzeigen #18
    General Avatar von KGS

KGS ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Nisarg Beitrag anzeigen
    If I were a king getting my ass kicked by an enemy, about to be dethroned, and some convict comes up carving my enemy right and left, I'd also say something about Fate and having thrown him into the prison on Purpose after being incited by my Gad to do so.
    sounds logical
    but the gods meddle in the world too much so believing in faith isn't so far off i think

19. Beiträge anzeigen #19

doros ist offline
    Ooo, I know. How about this. Are there any mods that let you purchase rival camp armors? That way, I could be a New Camper without worrying about looking like a tool until I can get my hands on Water Mage gear.

Also, while we're on the subject of mods, are there any mods which let you change the appearance of your character? I know, you guys might be touchy about "character customization", but for me, this whole "you've got to be a random ponytailed hipster" thing is the biggest- so far only- let down in the game. It's the 21st century, for crying out loud! I'm not asking to be an Orc or a sentient Snapper or an Argonian who fell through a time vortex. I just want to be able to change my haircut, or pick a fat dude, or play as a little girl with pigtails. Is that so much to ask? I've been customizing characters in every decent RPG I've played since, what? Baldurs Gate? Surely, some modder must have figured out a way to rectify things by now.

-edit- What's a good level to be at when you first join a camp? I'm currently level 10, and am running low on monsters to kill. The only things left seem to be Orcs, skeletons, and Shadow Beasts, none of which are harmed by my puny weapons.
    Geändert von doros (28.07.2011 um 16:55 Uhr)

20. Beiträge anzeigen #20
    Sword Master Avatar von Mage Master

Mage Master ist offline
    Ooo, I know. How about this. Are there any mods that let you purchase rival camp armors? That way, I could be a New Camper without worrying about looking like a tool until I can get my hands on Water Mage gear.
    you could use cheats for that but I recommend not using any in you first playthrough.

Also, while we're on the subject of mods, are there any mods which let you change the appearance of your character? I know, you guys might be touchy about "character customization", but for me, this whole "you've got to be a random ponytailed hipster" thing is the biggest- so far only- let down in the game. It's the 21st century, for crying out loud! I'm not asking to be an Orc or a sentient Snapper or an Argonian who fell through a time vortex. I just want to be able to change my haircut, or pick a fat dude, or play as a little girl with pigtails. Is that so much to ask? I've been customizing characters in every decent RPG I've played since, what? Baldurs Gate? Surely, some modder must have figured out a way to rectify things by now.
    I think they are trying to tell a story of someone rather than letting you be sort of yourself and putting you in situations, actually I think it's a little bit of both. But ow, I don't know any mods, at all.

-edit- What's a good level to be at when you first join a camp? I'm currently level 10, and am running low on monsters to kill. The only things left seem to be Orcs, skeletons, and Shadow Beasts, none of which are harmed by my puny weapons.

IIRC the minimal lvl to join a camp was lvl 6 or 7 so you're more than fine. Oh and if you join the new camp don't become a mercenary imitatively because you won't be able to continue with the main quest.

Seite 1 von 5 12345 Letzte »