Home Risen Risen2 Risen3 Forum English Russian

Registrieren Hilfe Kalender Heutige Beiträge
Seite 1 von 20 12345812 ... Letzte »
Ergebnis 1 bis 20 von 400

Metasyntaktische Variable
    The "Bug-Me" Thread #10: Your Questions Answered by PBs.

This is thread no. 10 of the series in which the developers from Piranha Bytes answer questions from the community.

This thread is a special gift of PB to the community and it is rare to find a developer answering questions of gamers in an independant and uncontrollable fan forum on a regular basis. So please, treat this thread with respect.

Note that PB has no official "community manager" or something like this. Members on the team come here in their spare time besides their duties (if they want to). The easier we make it for them to answer our questions, the more questions we get answered!

So please stick to the following rules:
    • This thread is only for (real) questions to PB! No idle chatter. If you want to comment on something, you can do that in the Bug-Me discussions thread. If you click on the button labeled [Bild: quoteadd.png] on the upper right side of the post you want to comment on, you'll get the chance to transfer that as quote over to a different thread (look right under the editor window in your reply window).
    • Try to keep your questions short and precise. Make it clear so that one can understand what you really want to know. If you have some doubts about your English, run a spell checker across the text.
    • If you really need a longer explanation for something, please highlight the question itself somehow. I suggest using the colour Lemon Chiffon, combined with bold writing.
    • But don't overdo it! Font sizes above 3 to steal attention from other posts will not be tolerated. Use the formatting options to make the question stick out from your post. Not to make it stick out from all other posts. If you really want your post to stick out, try asking a good question in a clearly readable way!
    • Remember: Every minute that PB has to waste to repeat an already given answer is a minute less they have for answering a new question. Hence, use the search function of this forum and try to see if your question has already been answered. To get only postings from PB employees, restrict the search to users like "Quy", "Ralf", "Michael Rüve", "Jenny PB" and "PB_Harry". Those are the Piranhas that are known to have posted in the english boards.
      [Bild: howtosearch.jpg]
    • If PB does not answer your question, keep calm. Maybe they just did not see it or did not have the time. Perhaps it was not clear enough. Try to rephrase and reformat it to be easy to spot and to read. Then post it again.

For your research, here are the previous threads:

Bug-Me Thread #1
    Bug-Me Thread #2
    Bug-Me Thread #3
    Bug-Me Thread #4
    Bug-Me Thread #5
    Bug-Me Thread #6
    Bug-Me Thread #7
    Bug-Me Thread #8
    Bug-Me Thread #9
    foobar ist offline Geändert von foobar (11.01.2015 um 14:13 Uhr)

Veteran Avatar von nirolF
    1.What is the name of the eye patched pirate from the screenshots?
    2. Reloading is done automatically when the weapon is empty or do you have to press a key?
    3. Are there weapons with multiple charges? Can you reload a half full weapon or do you have to empty it first?
    nirolF ist offline

Deus Avatar von Maladiq
    Zitat Zitat von nirolF Beitrag anzeigen
    1.What is the name of the eye patched pirate from the screenshots?
    This is captain Gregorious Steelbeard, Patty's father.
    For the most recent Elex news, the new Piranha Bytes RPG, visit us at World of Elex!!!
    Maladiq ist offline

Deus Avatar von Maladiq
    Are you going to use more prerendered cutscenes in the game and on their quality? I am concerned because the ending cutscene in Risen was just pathetic, it would have looked far better rendered in real time.
    For the most recent Elex news, the new Piranha Bytes RPG, visit us at World of Elex!!!
    Maladiq ist offline

banned
    Will characters have a deeper background and a bigger importance in the game compared to the ones in Risen 1?

In R1, the only character who had a significant importance was Patty. I hope that in R2 characters will be more helpful and memorable and that the hero will make friends with more people.
    Assassin of Kings ist offline

Veteran Avatar von MladjanDJ
    I have a question about pb's design decision concerning armor, swords, etc. Let me elaborate. As i understand pirates wore lite leather armor, or no armor at all for the purpose to be more agile in close quarters battle such as ship decks, and because fear of drowning if fall in water. Also big swords are not a good choice on small ships decks.

Being that in risen 2 player will combat on land, as in pb's previous games, aganst humans and monsters alike, where heavy armor and big swords make all the difference, why on earth did you guys made the decision to exclude them?

Pirate theme? Hell, you don't sale, don't attack trade ships, you don't fight on ships, or with ships... pirates are all about ships. Don't get me wrong, and didn't expect ship battles nor do i want them, but your design decisions just don't sit on solid ground. Not to mention that there is not one heavy sword in the r2 world, being that it sits in the same universe as r1 does, but consistency between two games is not at question here.
    Brothers what we do in life echos in Eternity
    MladjanDJ ist offline

Warrior
    Random Question:

If you look at World of Risen's homepage topbar, you see a port-town. Will we be able to see a city of such magnitude in the game (in terms of size, width, population/density, etc.)?

As I take it the size of the town in question is bigger than Khorinis, can we expect that?
    Talek ist offline

Warrior
    I'm referring to the English localization now. Will the returning characters have the same voice as in R1? The hero in the trailer is the same actor, so I assume he's going to do the game dialogs as well. What about Patty (Lena Headey seems to be pretty busy these days) or Esteban (John Rhys-Davies, if his character is back)?
    rotator ist offline

banned
    Why did you decide to call the harbor city in Risen 2 Caldera? Are you aware that there is a town with the same name in Morrowind? Couldn't this create confusion?

Piranha-Bytes
    Zitat Zitat von Assassin of Kings Beitrag anzeigen
    [color=red]Why did you decide to call the harbor city in Risen 2 Caldera?
    No idea. Maybe someone looked at a RL map - there's several Calderas around on earth, at least one of them is in fact a harbor. Or someone remembered his latin or physics lessons from school?
    Michael Rüve ist offline

Deus Avatar von Maladiq
    Zitat Zitat von Michael Rüve Beitrag anzeigen
    No idea. Maybe someone looked at a RL map - there's several Calderas around on earth, at least one of them is in fact a harbor. Or someone remembered his latin or physics lessons from school?
    Or even geography.
    Maladiq ist offline

Knight Avatar von catalinux
    Zitat Zitat von MladjanDJ Beitrag anzeigen
    I have a question about pb's design decision concerning armor, swords, etc. Let me elaborate. As i understand pirates wore lite leather armor, or no armor at all for the purpose to be more agile in close quarters battle such as ship decks, and because fear of drowning if fall in water. Also big swords are not a good choice on small ships decks.

Being that in risen 2 player will combat on land, as in pb's previous games, aganst humans and monsters alike, where heavy armor and big swords make all the difference, why on earth did you guys made the decision to exclude them?

Pirate theme? Hell, you don't sale, don't attack trade ships, you don't fight on ships, or with ships... pirates are all about ships. Don't get me wrong, and didn't expect ship battles nor do i want them, but your design decisions just don't sit on solid ground. Not to mention that there is not one heavy sword in the r2 world, being that it sits in the same universe as r1 does, but consistency between two games is not at question here.
    In medieval times, armor was a sign of your social status. Only the fat pig noble men who enslaved the ordinary people were allowed to wear heavy armors. The pirates were free men, they hated the fat pig noble men.

Another aspect - bullets fired from fire arms made useless heavy armors. And best medieval army had great mobility - mostly light archers on horses. Best example - the mongols.

Risen 2 will be a strange game. You wake one day half drunk in a harbor town, and you decide to join the pirates. At some point in the game, you became a pirate captain, you get your own boat, and (probably) like in Gothic II, at some point when you enter your captain cabin you sail to another island. There you can go on land and you have the option to take with you only one member of your crew. This might be fun if you forget about a main pirate objective - hunt and destroy ships loaded with gold or treasures.

So yes, not much of a pirate game/story in Risen 2. Sure, you'll wear pirate clothes, talk like a pirate, fight with a cutlass and musketeer, feed a parrot, but that's all. No hot woman will made you forget about long sailing voyages. Kind of sad for a so-called pirate story/setting.

But what the hell... maybe this game will be fun for some of you.
    catalinux ist offline

banned
    Zitat Zitat von catalinux Beitrag anzeigen
    No hot woman will made you forget about long sailing voyages.
    Harbour city smells like big brothel to me. How do you know you won't be able to have some fun at the local Red-Lantern-like establishment?

Let's ask the PBs: Will there be a brothel in the harbour city of Caldera?

Will there be any quests which imply pirate-like activities, such as plundering ships of gold and goods?

Ranger Avatar von Andante
    Zitat Zitat von Assassin of Kings Beitrag anzeigen
    Let's ask the PBs: Will there be a brothel in the harbour city of Caldera?
    If this is a fact I hope that the merchants in Caldera sell condoms. If you don't use a condom you should get the status effect "Syphilis" which gives you a Strength +10 boost but -6 in dexterity, -15 in health points and a serious speed reduction !

My questions:

1) Beside the weapons you get as the story evolves, will you have the ability to find hidden special weapons or outfits?

2) Will at least one of these creatures, items or features appear in Risen 2? Gnomes, Transform into Parrot, Skeletons, Undead Lords, Gorillas, Summon Monkey, Gnome Village, invisibility spell

3) Will there be hidden-optional places (or islands) which have nothing to do with the story, only there to satisfy the explorer?

Andante ist offline Geändert von Andante (26.06.2011 um 22:01 Uhr)

Sword Master Avatar von Mage Master
    Zitat Zitat von Andante Beitrag anzeigen
    3) Will there be hidden-optional places (or islands) which have nothing to do with the story, only there to satisfy the explorer?
    [/COLOR]
    If this was answered with "yes" that the whole point of that hidden place, which may or may not exist, will be completely gone, unless there is a super mega uber item there.
    Mage Master ist offline

Drachentöter Avatar von Pascal(Xardas)
    http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum...0#post16350550

Quy said "No comment" but it's already known that there'll be four chapters in Risen II.

Greetings,
    Pascal!
    Pascal(Xardas) ist offline

Knight Avatar von catalinux
    Dear PB,

What made you adopt the brilliant "Auto-Looting" action?

This combined with the lack of "drop items on ground" will surely offer a superior gaming experience!

catalinux ist offline

Piranha-Bytes
    Zitat Zitat von catalinux Beitrag anzeigen
    What made you adopt the brilliant "Auto-Looting" action?
    Ain't no such thing.
    Michael Rüve ist offline

Knight Avatar von TheDoctor
    Hi Piranhas

Long time no see (at least for me). I have a question regarding game development in general, not necessarily Risen. As I understand you simply got together and made Gothic back in 98 as a leap of faith in the gaming industry, you probably have a lot of insight on starting out as game designers.

I'm currently waiting to be accepted into a Technical Artist university here in Sweden - I'll get the note next thursday or friday - which includes education in 3D-modelling and programming. Would you share some of what you've learned about working as a game developer and starting out as a freshman like myself? What's there to keep in mind? Any golden rules?

My inspiration is Gothic and, hopefully, I'll be able to create full-3D RPG's myself one day.

Spoiler:(zum lesen bitte Text markieren)
    Already counting on hard work

UPDATE: I was accepted into the university just the other day! Game industry, here I come.
    My Risen short stories
    Gnork & Blargina part: 1, 2, 3
    An unusual meeting (pdf)
    TheDoctor ist offline Geändert von TheDoctor (23.07.2011 um 20:56 Uhr)

banned
    Hey Michael I'm curious about this, as a personal opinion from you, if you wanna put it that way: Which of PB's released games do you think is the best one? Gothic 1, Gothic 2, Gothic 3 or Risen?

Seite 1 von 20 12345812 ... Letzte »