Home Gothic Gothic II Gothic 3 Gothic 4 Downloads Forums

Seite 3 von 8 « Erste 1234567 ... Letzte »
Ergebnis 41 bis 60 von 159
  1. Beiträge anzeigen #41
    General Avatar von Khaled

Khaled ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Kilrha Beitrag anzeigen
    My facebook name (irl name) is: Dieter De Cleen
    The one that looks like a young Ozzy Osbourne? With sunglasses and ciggarette in mouth?

2. Beiträge anzeigen #42
    Demigod Avatar von Dino

Dino ist offline
    I guess we can say... that this is the end.

3. Beiträge anzeigen #43
    Apprentice Avatar von Volf

Volf ist offline
    They were dying slowly--it was very clear. They were not enemies, they were not criminals, they were nothing earthly now--nothing but black shadows of disease and starvation, lying confusedly in the greenish gloom.
    Helm sees All

4. Beiträge anzeigen #44
    Ranger

Kilrha ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Khaled Beitrag anzeigen
    The one that looks like a young Ozzy Osbourne? With sunglasses and ciggarette in mouth?
    that's what my friends say I look like yes xD

5. Beiträge anzeigen #45
    Sword Master Avatar von UR1Z13L

UR1Z13L ist offline
    Indeed this is very sad. I havent posted much in a while but i still checked out the threads. I had never thought that the forum might be closed... does it take much effort to support it?
    Zitat Zitat von Dino Beitrag anzeigen
    I guess we can say... that this is the end.
    A perfect song for this occasion

Goodbye friends
    Geändert von UR1Z13L (04.04.2013 um 15:58 Uhr)

6. Beiträge anzeigen #46
    Ranger Avatar von Celestial

Celestial ist offline
    [Bild: 444d_zpsd2ce41d3.png]

Duh, well I am just flabbergasted!

...so said Baron Vleck von Leck.

7. Beiträge anzeigen #47
    Hero Avatar von Tratos

Tratos ist offline
    I guess Peanuts #120 will be the last one.

8. Beiträge anzeigen #48
    Warrior Avatar von Colmar

Colmar ist offline
    I'm sad after reading this news, because this forum was a reference point for the international community fan of Gothic, a place where all the fans, which didn't write in German, could interact with people from other countries, from Usa to Poland...
    It was my first experience in a foreign (not italian) forum and I'm happy to have been a part of this community (even if I'm teetotal ).
    Geändert von Colmar (05.04.2013 um 02:34 Uhr)

9. Beiträge anzeigen #49
    Veteran

glumetzul ist offline
    Fist of all I want to say that the Gothic series won't die. At the present I am playing (not at the moment of course) Gothic 1 and plan to replay all the others in chronological order. And I don't think that there will come a point in my life when I'll just say that I will never want to start another Gothic game again. Maybe only if the virtual reality devices will be so advanced in the future as to make this kind of gaming obsolete.

That being said I find this decision quite the ilogical one. I can understand closing the main site wog.com as it would use up some resources allthough it only uses up resources once someone visits it so there is a potential of clicking on the ads as well.

But making the forum read only? Why? It will use up as much of the database storage space as it does now. And the only time it will slightly (and I mean *really* slightly) increase the load on the server will be when someone actually posts a message but once again that is a positive event for the whole forum as it enriches the information available for visitors. So either way it's a win-win.

I can see how closing the whole board would be a good idea if it's not profitable to keep it running anymore. But closing just a section of a huge forum that doesn't really bother anyone (and not deleting it but just making it read only) seems kinda useless.

Not to mention that if by some miracle PB decides that their next game actually is Gothic 5 you're gonna feel very silly if you'll have to reopen both the forum and the website.

In the end, I'm not gonna start babbling about good times and how nice this forum was for me, I'll just say I'm incredibly disappointed at this decision and I consider it to be irrational.

10. Beiträge anzeigen #50
    Demigod Avatar von Rashnu
    Guarding Chinvat Bridge (As-Sirāt); a bridge finer than a hair and sharper than a sword.

Rashnu ist offline
    We can safely assume the admins won't close this place for the strain on the servers or some such thing. That's not the issue.

It is standard practice and policy of the World of Players admins to host network sites only when there is an active staff feeding it constantly with new content and maintaining all other aspects of a functioning website.
    [Bild: Rashnu340obenGIF.gif][Bild: nds_banner_156x60_rounded.jpg]
    [Bild: Rashnu340untenlinks.gif][Bild: Rashnu340untenrechts.gif][Bild: oaqmBDA_Nein_113x60.jpg]
    "Greeting to thee; well hast thou come; from that mortal world hast thou come to this pure, bright place."

11. Beiträge anzeigen #51
    Skinhead  Avatar von Hellbilly

Hellbilly ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Rashnu Beitrag anzeigen
    It is standard practice and policy of the World of Players admins to host network sites only when there is an active staff feeding it constantly with new content and maintaining all other aspects of a functioning website.
    And this is the problem, and as we stated in the opening post, we really see no realistic way to achieve this. We can't post news or content to the website when there isn't any news or content to be posted; our news posters have been quite diligent in their task even during these less-than-happy times for the Gothic franchise and have posted relevant news when we've received 'em. But without news, with an international modding community that is not very active (at least on WoG-eng), I see no way of keeping the website active.

I mean, it's not like we can just keep on posting "Today is the 5th of April, 2013. There is no news today", and the same news tomorrow.

If PB ever make a Gothic 5, then the situation may change. I don't know what WoP's policy is, will the site be re-opened or not. I would guess not, at least not automatically just because there is a Gothic 5; I would presume that first they would have to believe there is a demand for a website. But one thing is for certain, at least in my mind: it wouldn't be the same WoG-eng as it once was.

Also, personally, I want to make it clear that the initiative to close WoG-eng did not come from the moderator team; it came from the admins, and when their primary reason for suggesting this was the inactivity, we really couldn't say they were wrong. And at the same time, I must say I do understand them... I understand more than well that the admins of WoP do not want to have a host of graveyard sites on their hands to take care of.
    Geändert von Hellbilly (05.04.2013 um 08:54 Uhr)

12. Beiträge anzeigen #52
    Veteran

glumetzul ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Hellbilly Beitrag anzeigen
    Also, personally, I want to make it clear that the initiative to close WoG-eng did not come from the moderator team; it came from the admins, and when their primary reason for suggesting this was the inactivity, we really couldn't say they were wrong. And at the same time, I must say I do understand them; I understand more than well that the admins of WoP do not want to have a host of graveyard sites on their hands, to take care of.
    When it comes to the website I can partially understand the reasons. But closing the forum still doesn't make sense in my books. If nobody posts then there is nothing to take care of so there is no issue. If somebody posts then it's a good thing all the same because it means that forum was useful after all at least for a small number of people and it didn't hurt the rest of the board.

At the present time, the english version of wog forum may not be the most active but it's still active. Every few days someone would post a question about the series and find it's answers there (I'm surprised to see that even now there are still people playing a game of the series for the first time). Also there are still some topics of discussion between the veterans but most important here is (as far as I know) the only forum thread dedicated to the CSP. So take this away from us and we're stuck to finding any info about this two times per year (easter and christmas).

Anyway I stand by my previous statement: I find the decision of archiving the forum irrational.

PS: The Risen english board is far less active than this one because Risen means a plain unspectacular game followed by another epic failure as opposed to the Gothic which still triggers the word "legend" for some people. Why don't you start by closing the Risen section first? (that is of course a rhetorical question).
    Geändert von glumetzul (05.04.2013 um 09:45 Uhr)

13. Beiträge anzeigen #53
    General Avatar von KGS

KGS ist offline

14. Beiträge anzeigen #54
    Rookie

Force of Will ist offline
    I have so few posts here but I did do a ton of reading. If I ever needed to help in any way this was the place to come. Thanks for a great website.

15. Beiträge anzeigen #55
    Knight Commander Avatar von dark-cz-klaw
    Czech Republic/Česká Republika/Tschechische Republik

dark-cz-klaw ist offline
    Well, I guess it is now time for me to say goodbye...

I used to be quite active on this forum for a few years. I joined the forum way back in 2006 because I needed help with the then-hopelessly bugged Gothic 3 (I think I needed help finding the 12 fire chalices...). Though I never was quite as active as some of you diehard fans, it was fun participating in some of the epic debate threads, such as the Undead Dragon is the Sleeper thread, or the religion/politics threads. Needless to say, I never cared for the politics of this forum, the flame wars between the die-hard fans of WoG and outlaws such as Calin or Danto.

The past year or so, I haven't been active at all mostly, with the exception of forum imam mnt coming back to preach again. For most of my time here, I've been a lurker, like some of the above posters.

WoG was one of those special forums for me. Nevertheless all things come to an end. It was inevitable that WoG would be administered the coup de grace sooner or later, given the lack of activity for most of the forum. However, there is a positive aspect to this, as most everything in the universe operates in cycles, there are and will be new sites and forums, and new legendary games. If PiranhaBytes decides to make a Gothic 5, or remake Gothic 1 & 2 with updated graphics or with more content, then there might be a new WoG, but this might never happen.

It's time to move on.

16. Beiträge anzeigen #56
    Chosen One Avatar von rockfest

rockfest ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von glumetzul Beitrag anzeigen
    When it comes to the website I can partially understand the reasons. But closing the forum still doesn't make sense in my books. If nobody posts then there is nothing to take care of so there is no issue. If somebody posts then it's a good thing all the same because it means that forum was useful after all at least for a small number of people and it didn't hurt the rest of the board.

At the present time, the english version of wog forum may not be the most active but it's still active. Every few days someone would post a question about the series and find it's answers there (I'm surprised to see that even now there are still people playing a game of the series for the first time). Also there are still some topics of discussion between the veterans but most important here is (as far as I know) the only forum thread dedicated to the CSP. So take this away from us and we're stuck to finding any info about this two times per year (easter and christmas).

Anyway I stand by my previous statement: I find the decision of archiving the forum irrational.
    It's not that active as you think. You also have to think about the staffers for wog.com. While there are still people that want to look over the forums (myself, Helbilly, Lobedan, etc), personal motivations tend to disappear when the game is without a future. And the most active forum is Peanuts which is an OT forum, not a specific one. This is not the reason for the current decision but eventually this would happen.

And before everyone volunteers to look over the forum, please understand that 99% of posters in this thread have started to post/repost because of this news.

17. Beiträge anzeigen #57
    Kämpfer Avatar von Atmus

Atmus ist offline
    Very pity to hear that. I feel sad about that.

I offer my own forum to cover all active users at the Dark Forests Web Forum: http://darkforests.info/forum. We also host modding teams.

You surely know it that I maintain there the database of all mods for all Gothics counting more than 330 at this moment. So you will be welcomed in our Gothic community.

18. Beiträge anzeigen #58
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq

Maladiq ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Nisarg Beitrag anzeigen
    TBH, WoG En is still much more active than WoR En. Also, the CSP is not out yet, and once it's translated into English, we'll want an English section again for discussion.
    THAT!

Zitat Zitat von Yavanna Beitrag anzeigen
    I don't think it will be the end of the world if they sticky one thread for us considering they are basically leaving us without a 'home'.
    I haven't made any thread because I have no idea where anything is besides the English section on this site, and I don't understand any German.
    I fully agree. We need a sticky.

Zitat Zitat von Khaled Beitrag anzeigen

See you in another life, brothas!

P.S. there's actually a group on facebook, you can post your facebook names here and we'll add you!
    You shall be missed too.

Proposal: to whomever it may concern.

Glumetzul kindly gave me the permission to use the domain of worldofgames.ro (the original worldofgothic.ro). I started working on a reboot, but
    for some pretty lame reasons and a serious time shortage I was unable to redo all the necessary work. If you guys will agree, I could neglect my studies for a week or so, get that forum running and we could move there.

Edit: ^^ Just saw atmus' post (since I didn't read the last page). Didn't intend on disloyal competition
    For the most recent Elex news, the new Piranha Bytes RPG, visit us at World of Elex!!!

19. Beiträge anzeigen #59
    Skinhead  Avatar von Hellbilly

Hellbilly ist offline
    Honestly and IMO, a mere forum will not be a proper solution. It's just a place to go to and continue to die slowly.

20. Beiträge anzeigen #60
    Kämpfer Avatar von Atmus

Atmus ist offline
    The Gothic Community at http://darkforests.info never dies, because we are not only big fans of Gothic games but also we (or most of us) are modders and developers of Gothic mods. We cooperate with Gothic communities from around the world, counting Czech republic, Slovakia, Germany, Russia, Poland, Romania and France and other states.

Seite 3 von 8 « Erste 1234567 ... Letzte »