Home Gothic Gothic II Gothic 3 Gothic 4 Downloads Forums

Seite 3 von 3 « Erste 123
Ergebnis 41 bis 47 von 47
  1. Beiträge anzeigen #41
    General Avatar von KGS

KGS ist offline
    making any wiki at all seems a waste of time
    it would be a great part time job though, writing all i know about gothic ;d

2. Beiträge anzeigen #42
    Apprentice Avatar von XDMickeYXD

XDMickeYXD ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von KGS Beitrag anzeigen
    making any wiki at all seems a waste of time
    it would be a great part time job though, writing all i know about gothic ;d
    Why does it seem like a waste of time to you?
    I mean, even if you were to add one sentence of (on-topic) text to a page, you'd still have contributed to 'making' the wiki.
    My point is, making a wiki is not a one-man job. People collaborate to make it awesome.
    My Message Wall on the WoGen wiki: Message Me
    Donations: Send me some love in Bitcoin :3
    Want to play League of Legends? It's free
    Already play LoL? Add me on EUW: WeAreOneForever

3. Beiträge anzeigen #43
    Warrior Avatar von The Ore Baron

The Ore Baron ist offline
    What I would like to see is less individual work and more community work.

If ten people add their thoughts and findings to the wiki, the result is a random mash-up of them. It works for technical articles, like spell scroll listings, but when it comes to lore-heavy articles on characters and history, I'd prefer if a single person wrote an article, using the synthesized ideas of the ten aforementioned people.

Imagine: a thread for wiki discussions, with a weekly change of two-four topics, where all the users of community can add some of their ideas and findings, raise unanswered questions which other people then answer with additional tidbits of information, which are then synthesized by someone with a skill in writing and put together as an article.

Wouldn't work, most likely, but I like the general idea

I myself enjoy a very in-depth approach to information gathering, meaning I analyze every small detail, no matter how insignificant it might seem. This often leads to disappointment, especially so with Gothic series, since their lore is very badly thought-out. See my earlier post about that.

I've been working on a lore compendium of sorts for the first Risen game. It's been going well, but the university leaves me with little free time, so despite my ongoing interest, I haven't been able to work on it for some time now.

4. Beiträge anzeigen #44

XDMickeYXD ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von The Ore Baron Beitrag anzeigen
    What I would like to see is less individual work and more community work.

If ten people add their thoughts and findings to the wiki, the result is a random mash-up of them. It works for technical articles, like spell scroll listings, but when it comes to lore-heavy articles on characters and history, I'd prefer if a single person wrote an article, using the synthesized ideas of the ten aforementioned people.

Imagine: a thread for wiki discussions, with a weekly change of two-four topics, where all the users of community can add some of their ideas and findings, raise unanswered questions which other people then answer with additional tidbits of information, which are then synthesized by someone with a skill in writing and put together as an article.

Wouldn't work, most likely, but I like the general idea

I myself enjoy a very in-depth approach to information gathering, meaning I analyze every small detail, no matter how insignificant it might seem. This often leads to disappointment, especially so with Gothic series, since their lore is very badly thought-out. See my earlier post about that.

I've been working on a lore compendium of sorts for the first Risen game. It's been going well, but the university leaves me with little free time, so despite my ongoing interest, I haven't been able to work on it for some time now.
    Thanks for linking to that thread, I was unaware of its existence.
    I really like your idea, but I do see a significant problem with it; Where would we find a skilled writer willing to put it all together?
    My guess is that if the project gets enough attention then I'm sure there'll be one or two skilled writers among the influx of people.
    Or we could wade through the metaphorical bushes of the internet until 'a wild writer has appeared!' (Forgive me, i had to)

All it really boils down to is finding people interested in participating and directing them to the project.
    Right now there are very few people actually participating, and there will only be fewer and fewer until the project stalls if there are no new people joining.
    This is of course because it feels like wasted time if you're one of only a few people contributing to a project of which the future is uncertain.

I must admit that I'm currently on a (short) break from the Gothic universe after playing Gothic 3 for one week straight.
    I started playing Two Worlds II, and I've really enjoyed it so far (currently on Chapter 3, and magic system is awesome)
    This is not to say that I will never touch a Gothic game again, just that I've found out I need some variety in my RPGs.
    I think I'll finish Gothic 3 after I finish Two Worlds II, and then I'll need to get Gothic 2 working on my PC...

Actually, now that I'm on the Gothic forums anyway, does anyone know how to get Gothic 2 working on windows 7 (32-bit)?
    I have the GOG.com version and it won't start at all when I launch it.
    The .exe stays around for about 2 seconds before closing (no window or anything)
    Tried the usual stuff, compatibility mode, run as admin, but nothing works.
    I've also tried googling but the solutions there don't work for me (loads of people seem to have similar problems)
    Any help would be appreciated, although I may need to start a new thread about this on second thought...

5. Beiträge anzeigen #45
    Warrior Avatar von The Ore Baron

The Ore Baron ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von XDMickeYXD Beitrag anzeigen
    Where would we find a skilled writer willing to put it all together?
    You make it sound like we need an experienced writer for this job All I meant was simply someone whose English is better than most. Your own English seems pretty good, as is that of some other members.

As for Gothic 2 on Win7, wasn't there already a thread about it?

6. Beiträge anzeigen #46

XDMickeYXD ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von The Ore Baron Beitrag anzeigen
    You make it sound like we need an experienced writer for this job All I meant was simply someone whose English is better than most. Your own English seems pretty good, as is that of some other members.

As for Gothic 2 on Win7, wasn't there already a thread about it?
    Why, thank you
    I don't think I'd make for a great wiki writer though, but I am pretty decent at getting a page started i.e. creating drafts.
    Once I'm over my Two Worlds 2 craze, I'm sure I'll get back to the wiki project.
    I assumed that you implied that an article put together by a random group of people is inherently inferior to one written by a 'skilled writer', this was what I based my reply on.

I'm sure there are many threads about the issue, since many people seem to experience it.
    I'll be using the search bar then
    Geändert von XDMickeYXD (03.03.2013 um 16:18 Uhr)

7. Beiträge anzeigen #47
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq

Maladiq ist offline
    The gothic.wikia.com is up for adoption. It redirects to arcania.wikia.com. If someone would like to adopt it and slowly transfer the content of wogen to it...
    For the most recent Elex news, the new Piranha Bytes RPG, visit us at World of Elex!!!

Seite 3 von 3 « Erste 123