PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : European currency

Sowilo
05.01.2006, 13:11
Last night I saw a telecast which dealt with the European expansion and there was a typical Europe problem...

Official this thing "€" is written "euro". Only in Germany they wrote it with an capital letter "Euro" and in Greek with Greek letters "EUP(Omega)".

So we wrote it nearly similar but pronounce it different (German: oiro, English yro", wtc.. no problem).

But Latvia says that they have no "eu" so that they want to write "eiro", Lithuania wants to write "euras", Slovenia "evro" and Hungary "euró".

Europe says that they can change it but there must be a "eur-". Latvia don't want it and will not became member of the EU with an "euro".

Ridiculous problems....

eXecutioner
05.01.2006, 13:36
We in Romania pronounce: euro. And we will unite with the EU in 2007 none the less. We are not fussy about what coin we will have.

The thing is. I don't know what this subject is about. Can you write more? What shall I do?

See Ya!

eXecutioner

Sowilo
05.01.2006, 14:25
I am just amazed how guys can create nutty problems like this. Why they want to change the official spelling they can pronounce it how they want?
And I noticed that the EU creates many stupid problems. But there are bigger problems like the European Constitution.

thegame_
05.01.2006, 15:10
I am just amazed how guys can create nutty problems like this. Why they want to change the official spelling they can pronounce it how they want?
And I noticed that the EU creates many stupid problems. But there are bigger problems like the European Constitution.

You're totally right ---> our lideres are noobs :D
That's why i don't give a shit on polictics

eXecutioner
05.01.2006, 15:35
Yeah. Youre right. I say leave it "EURO" and pronounce it how you whant. If you write it "euro" and pronounce it "uro" :) it's ok I think :p. IMO oure countryes should be interested in the vanquishment of poverty and worold famin than one measly coin name. Don't you think?

Rashnu
12.01.2006, 16:51
I have never heard anything like it - are you sure it's not a phantasy of the journalists involved? ;)

The common currency is called EURO - fullstop. This name was specificially chosen because it is easily recognizable by all people and the differences in pronounciation are negligible. The spelling is the SAME. Because the Greeks don't use Latin letters, their spelling of EURO is different from the rest.

The countries who joined the European Union in 2004 all use the Latin alphabet, too. Why on earth should they suggest a name change for the EURO? OK, the Hungarian language doesn't belong to the Indo-European language family that almost anyone else belongs to. But the same applies to the Finnish language. They don't seem to have a problem with EURO. If the Finnish people can stomach EURO, then so should the Estonians. It doesn't become newcomers like Latvia or Lithuania to demand name-changes in things as far reaching as the European currency. §nana