PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : Let's Discuss Melee Combat

Stalagmite
08.09.2009, 04:29
Well, from what I have seen, the combat shys away from the earlier Gothics style of timing your swings (Which I absolutely loved BTW) and now has incorporated a more "Oblivion" style of combat where characters strength is added to players reflexes (in Melee).

Do you think this style will be a rewarding experience for Risen? Are you hoping for a variety of skills that can make melee combat more flexible?

Based on what you've seen in the videos, how do you hope things will add up without getting tedious?

Omid-
08.09.2009, 06:29
Why does the hero keep yelling when he hits, it's annoying as fuck. I hope this won't be in the final version.

Arkose
08.09.2009, 07:13
The gameplay videos up to now have shown the hero only yelling part of the time. It could be he only yells under certain circumstances, such as scoring a critical hit or using a particular move. Either way it's not constant like in a Zelda game or something.

cfnz
08.09.2009, 07:26
From what I've seen the melee combat looks much the same as the Gothic games, with the exception of Gothic 1 where you could aim you blows with certain keys (though this is apparently a skill you can gain in Risen). It's hard to tell for sure from the videos without seeing the how the player is actually controlling the character.

Personally I wasn't a fan of the Melee combat in any of the Gothic games, I did find it tedious (and played through parts of all three in god mode). The balance between hack 'n' slash and a more tactical parry/strike wasn't to my tastes. I don't expect Risen to be any different but that's not putting me off the game at this stage. I still enjoying playing the Gothic series since the strength of the games for me was in the world and story, not the combat.

claym0re
08.09.2009, 14:06
For me the combats in Gothic 1/2 were the best ones I ever played in a RPG. But the combats in Gothic 3 were just like these in a Hack'n'Slay game. I already played Risen and I have to say killing monsters is like in the past :)
I really enjoyed the combats which have pretty many similarities to these in Gothic 1 and 2. But in my opinion Oblivion has a completely different combat system.

Bruell
09.09.2009, 20:38
I'd like a flexible combat system, where you can do different moves to counter or attack and to place the right blow at the right time.
But I'd hate it to get to tedious where you're already dead on the ground before you can figure out what key to hit. :)

I also like the idea of having better moves upon gained experience

Ringo81
09.09.2009, 23:04
If you are that much interested in the Risen melee combat. There are ingame videos. Look one post below.

The videos are from german version without comments. They don't contain any real spoiler and a few german dialogues only, but they give a good input about fights with creatures and human npc.

wkr
Ringo81

edit: Meh, freak** link. Sorry for the mess folks.

Arkose
10.09.2009, 02:15
Your link is broken. :( Proper link here: http://gameone.de/blog/2009/9/risen-uber-45-minuten-gameplay-pur

2late
10.09.2009, 07:02
Your link is broken. :( Proper link here: http://gameone.de/blog/2009/9/risen-uber-45-minuten-gameplay-pur

Awesome videos (the best I've seen so far - since they show so much of the game) ... but I hope that's not the final version of the combat system. I didn't have enough time to watch them all from front to back, I browsed through them ... however my problems with the combat system it are:

1) unlimited blocking? The hero apparently seems to be able to block for an unlimited amounts of time, at least when fighting creatures (2nd video, 8:40).

I mean do you just press the block button and no attacks can get to you anymore? No stamina bar or anything? If that's the case it would be a very bad design choice. It's not enough that now you can block creature attacks (unlike gothic games) but you can do it indefinitely?

2) some combat moves seem more like teleporting. Either the hero or other NPCs in the game move way too fast (it feels fake and unrealistic as hell).

When the hero is fighting the boars (2nd video 3:40 ) he can step back almost instantly, it's not like he's even jumping back or anything, it's almost teleporting. Same thing with the guy in green (and 3rd video 3:50) - he avoids the hero's attacks by dodging left and right almost instantly. He almost feels like a boss character with super powers not a regular human.

I really hope these will be fixed in the final version of the game.

RobinHood 13.
10.09.2009, 08:22
1) unlimited blocking? The hero apparently seems to be able to block for an unlimited amounts of time, at least when fighting creatures (2nd video, 8:40).

I mean do you just press the block button and no attacks can get to you anymore? No stamina bar or anything? If that's the case it would be a very bad design choice. It's not enough that now you can block creature attacks (unlike gothic games) but you can do it indefinitely?

I think they said, blocks didn't block all attacks, especially the stronger attacks, so no it's not godlike.

cfnz
10.09.2009, 08:24
Thanks for the link Ringo81/Arkose.

The second and third videos highlight exactly what I find most tedious about the combat, the number of hits it takes to drop some enemies. Whilst not melee combat, I was disturbed to see the number of arrows required to kill the scorpion in the third video.

wcpaeb
10.09.2009, 10:21
I don't konw if the character in the videos is cheated or the difficulty is set to easy, but i found our hero too powerful at the beginning. With a wooden stick and 3-4 hits he can kill a bird. That is realistic for sure, but what kind and how strong creatures do we have to face and kill further in the game??

I found our hero's melee combat movements very nice and it seems that when somebody hits you, you can feel it. Let's hope that as our character is learning or increase his skills, he will also have new movements. But the NPC's movement was a bit unrealistic. Note how quick and fast human opponents can move and avoid hero's attacks. You have the impression that they have feathers in their feets and they can fly instantly from left to right.

At the 3rd video our character is using his magic powers. He is wearing a robe and in fights he attacks with spell, bow and arrows (no melee fight). He needs more than 40 arrows to kill a scorpion (i lost the count) and at the end he dies. Probably the hero hasn't any hunting/archer skill at all and is at very low level. I do not know.

It's not enough that now you can block creature attacks (unlike gothic games) but you can do it indefinitely?

I'm sure that you can block Minecrawlers attacks in Gothic 3 with a shield.

Arkose
10.09.2009, 12:04
For those of you who like me are having trouble with the Flash player or prefer to use your own you can download the videos directly (part 1 (http://cdn.riptide-mtvn.com/production/0009/0213/90216_mp4_480x360_800.mp4), part 2 (http://cdn.riptide-mtvn.com/production/0009/0217/90220_mp4_480x360_800.mp4), part 3 (http://cdn.riptide-mtvn.com/production/0009/0223/90230_mp4_480x360_800.mp4); each is roughly 100 MB).

unlimited blocking? The hero apparently seems to be able to block for an unlimited amounts of time, at least when fighting creatures (2nd video, 8:40).
It looks like the block is broken when the enemy does a power attack, but some monsters might not have a power attack available. Even with a shield, strong or multiple enemies are a serious threat to the player (as seen with the moths and scorpion) because the moment the player's block goes down to make an attack there is a good chance of being hit. Attacks can hit more than one target at once if they are within range (as seen during the moth fights) so blocking more than a couple of hits has certain strategic advantages.

I don't konw if the character in the videos is cheated or the difficulty is set to easy, but ... With a wooden stick and 3-4 hits he can kill a bird ... what kind and how strong creatures do we have to face and kill further in the game??

It's probably a bit of both. Also remember that the Gothic games had Young or Juvenile versions of enemies in the starting area; these had the same appearance and behaviour of their fully-grown relatives but were noticeably weaker and dealt less damage. This is probably the case in Risen too, especially since the beach fights are part of the tutorial. The enemies later on were clearly a lot more troublesome.

The only part of these videos that is truly concerning is the weird ninja dodging; hopefully that is an unfinished animation or a side-effect of cheats or something, because as it is it looks impossible and would be a serious immersion-breaker.

Guirao
10.09.2009, 12:24
One thing i noticed, in the third video:

http://gameone.de/blog/2009/9/risen-uber-45-minuten-gameplay-pur

you can see that human enemies when attacking don't finish their combo. They only hit once every second, why aren't they finishing their combos like you do, at least make 3 consecutive hits?

In gothic 2 when you were figting humans they'd hit with the full animation combo...

Kostaz
10.09.2009, 14:24
For those of you who like me are having trouble with the Flash player or prefer to use your own you can download the videos directly (part 1 (http://cdn.riptide-mtvn.com/production/0009/0213/90216_mp4_480x360_800.mp4), part 2 (http://cdn.riptide-mtvn.com/production/0009/0217/90220_mp4_480x360_800.mp4), part 3 (http://cdn.riptide-mtvn.com/production/0009/0223/90230_mp4_480x360_800.mp4); each is roughly 100 MB).
I must say I haven't watched those vids before,and magic looks fricking amazing!
Everything looks great and "feels" more Gothic than I expected but magic is brought on another level.

SoM3
10.09.2009, 15:00
One thing i noticed, in the third video:

http://gameone.de/blog/2009/9/risen-uber-45-minuten-gameplay-pur

you can see that human enemies when attacking don't finish their combo. They only hit once every second, why aren't they finishing their combos like you do, at least make 3 consecutive hits?

In gothic 2 when you were figting humans they'd hit with the full animation combo...

Exacly, this is what i mean in bug me thread.

Ringo81
10.09.2009, 15:06
Thanks for the link Ringo81/Arkose.

The second and third videos highlight exactly what I find most tedious about the combat, the number of hits it takes to drop some enemies. Whilst not melee combat, I was disturbed to see the number of arrows required to kill the scorpion in the third video.

Well, for me it seems like the char was equipped with the weakest bow, the shortbow (if it is the correct translation). With better equipment it will not take so long an need so much arrows.

As you all may have noticed, the main character still has the old head in the videos. Can be, balancing, animations and other stuff will also be adjusted a bit in the final version. I repeat, can be, not must.

wkr
Ringo81

cifre
10.09.2009, 17:05
INCREDIBLE!
the melee looks amazing. I like the human opponent fight in the second video! He is better than the hero and his movement looks just great, he knows to do other types of blows.. EXCELLENT, I am fully content with the melee in Risen just watching this video, I bet it would be even more harder and competitive than G1 and 2. I am just keep looking on those videos continuously, even if they are an earlier version, it looks great. Beside this, the music and the animations are great as well.
edit: Check the moment when they hit in the same time, some kind of recoil is happening to both of them.

Powaz
10.09.2009, 17:31
Yeah, the combat looks really really good. This is what Gothic 3 combat should have looked like.

cifre
10.09.2009, 18:04
Yeah, the combat looks really really good. This is what Gothic 3 combat should have looked like.

Now I try to erase from my mind the G3 episode so I can substitute it with Risen, to be the continuation I dreamed about! :) It has all elements for it!

Maladiq
10.09.2009, 18:36
Now I try to erase from my mind the G3 episode so I can substitute it with Risen, to be the continuation I dreamed about! :) It has all elements for it!

Why? Don't you like G3 even with the latest CP?:(

gabi4play
10.09.2009, 18:39
gothic 3 won`t be fixed unless it has a new story.:D

Arkose
10.09.2009, 21:49
gothic 3 won`t be fixed unless it has a new story.:D
Forsaken Gods is Gothic 3 with a new story. :D

2late
10.09.2009, 23:01
Forsaken Gods is Gothic 3 with a new story. :D

People actually played that?

And can anyone comment on the way-too-fast-dodging? Will it be in the final game?

gabi4play
11.09.2009, 06:16
agree with u FG was way too badly optimized to be playable on my PC,since I gothic 3 with 20 FPS . Hope Risen`s FPS will grow a bit. Sometimes,less graphics can bring other players with a less newer computer.:)

cifre
11.09.2009, 08:28
Why? Don't you like G3 even with the latest CP?:(

I didn't had time to play it with the latest CPs. But for me, in gothic series, the most important things are the melee fighting and the story, which haven't been changed in the patches for G3. This is a radical measure to be done. Now seeing the fighting and the hero looks/ armors in arcania I am 100% sure that I don't like it, so I try to destroy the continuation from G3 to arcania so I can go into Risen with the same feeling I had in G1&2.

gabi4play
11.09.2009, 09:08
well at least I`l try that game,maybe they`ll pull it off as a great game for many RPG fans,while still not having the gothic feeling.As I know I don`t care about the armor if the story is good
Btw u said that u only care about story and combat,but u said that u don`t like the armor from arcania and u don`t like the game because of that. lol :D.
The combat also doesn`t look that bad,(while it`s in alpha stages)

cifre
11.09.2009, 09:32
Btw u said that u only care about story and combat,but u said that u don`t like the armor from arcania and u don`t like the game because of that. lol :D.
The combat also doesn`t look that bad,(while it`s in alpha stages)

the armor shows the kind of customers is targeting for. that's why i mentioned it.
the combat looks awful. It's superficial and judging by the release date I don't think it is an alpha or whatever.

gabi4play
11.09.2009, 10:19
It will be released in first half of 2010 they have a lot of time,also the game is highly anticipated by other gamers and such.The combat isn`t finished,or better it isn`t even made yet.The game won`t be so gothic as gothic 1 or 2,but neither like the 3rd.It will be a brand new game set in the universe of gothic , don`t be so pesimistic,maybe the story will be so good,ull regret saying what`re u saying now.
And yes Risen will be more gothic like than Arcania but that doesn`t change the fact that Arcania will be a good game at the ranks of Fable,or even Oblivion.
Btw we can`t be disoppointed as we were with Gothic 3 with neither of the games.

Dykunas
11.09.2009, 10:48
The combat moves are just too damned fast, actually to a point where it looks pretty ridicolous :B

gabi4play
11.09.2009, 11:18
Like I said It isn`t finished,why are u still judging it? wait until it`s release and we`ll see it then.

gik
11.09.2009, 12:06
the combat loos AWESOME , better even then gothic 2 (which is better then1)
the mage fights nice with the fly
i played the gothic series more then 10 times each one i am huge fan and a fan of gothic 1.2 combat but man risen combat looks better i think
i am surprised i didnt expect that....
the only thing that is DISGUSTING is the NOISE the hero makes when he strike
i mean i am a hero i strike with force not playing tenis like Martina Navratilova
i hope piranha read this
if the story will be good, it will be the best rpg, i am confident...
and i hope u will not be able to hold 2handers with one hand it's weird...
congratulations to piranha's

Dykunas
11.09.2009, 14:25
Like I said It isn`t finished,why are u still judging it? wait until it`s release and we`ll see it then.

Last time i heard, the game was scheduled for october the 2nd, this means that the game is already finished for quite some time.

cifre
11.09.2009, 15:04
And yes Risen will be more gothic like than Arcania but that doesn`t change the fact that Arcania will be a good game at the ranks of Fable,or even Oblivion.

Please repeat this a few times here if you want to be beaten-up! :) Oblivion here is the kind of infinite on the negative axis, is the opposite what we want here for Risen. Please stop bugging around with Fable,Oblivion and such. We want art not best sellers! We want feeling not commercials. You just came in the middle of the wolves pack my little friend! :) Watch the steps :)

Last time i heard, the game was scheduled for october the 2nd, this means that the game is already finished for quite some time.

He was referring to Arcania.

Dino
11.09.2009, 16:31
The combat moves are just too damned fast, actually to a point where it looks pretty ridicolous :B

Yeah, dito to that. When I saw the hero swinging his... whatever the hell it was... it was like sdoigpaisdofnaosdipfsapdfaaf that. It felt like his arm is teleporting from one position to another, with no animation in-between. I don't like the melee system at all, now in it's current status. I mean, on those 2 french gameplay videos, I hope it's changed now.

Stalagmite
11.09.2009, 16:36
Yeah, dito to that. When I saw the hero swinging his... whatever the hell it was... it was like sdoigpaisdofnaosdipfsapdfaaf that. It felt like his arm is teleporting from one position to another, with no animation in-between. I don't like the melee system at all, now in it's current status. I mean, on those 2 french gameplay videos, I hope it's changed now.

I was a bit skeptical about it, it didn't seem to deliver what I was hoping. My brother HATED it so I got worried that it was gonna be an overall mediocre delivery because of lame combat so that's why I made this thread. Agreed, let's hope the final has more juice than what we saw, or at least FEELS like it has juice while playing it.

Ringo81
11.09.2009, 17:46
Okay, the testversion, those videos are from, is dated from July 1. So there is a good chance the combatsystem was overhauled a bit.

wkr
Ringo81

Stalagmite
11.09.2009, 20:47
What I personally liked about Gothics combat that it wasn't all about fast paced-ness and speed, the games weren't like that. Survivng in combat was mostly an endurance thing. Getting armor, leveling up, getting hit points, and dropping in points for strength for the frosting on the cake, while timing your swings was the icing. I just can't see myself prefering a speed over strength to an endurance over strength style of combat, but we'll see what happens. It doesn't look "bad" of course, just a bit....downscale from unique/cool.

Gjiror
11.09.2009, 21:08
Some of the combat moves look a bit too fast, but it's not an immersion breaker for me. I just want to keep the game challenging, and this combat seems like a huge upgrade from Gothic 3

Guirao
11.09.2009, 22:05
Combat in Gothic 3 is really boring. Always the same animations, oh and the knockbacks were terrible.

You didn't get the feeling the character was leveling and improving due to the repetitive animation, thank god Risen is similar to the first gothics.

RobinHood 13.
12.09.2009, 10:56
What I personally liked about Gothics combat that it wasn't all about fast paced-ness and speed, the games weren't like that. Survivng in combat was mostly an endurance thing. Getting armor, leveling up, getting hit points, and dropping in points for strength for the frosting on the cake, while timing your swings was the icing. I just can't see myself prefering a speed over strength to an endurance over strength style of combat, but we'll see what happens. It doesn't look "bad" of course, just a bit....downscale from unique/cool.

It seems to me, only animations looks different, and the combat swings in G2 weren't exactly very realistic. The left and right swing (if you do it fast), would be very exhausting with a heavy weapon.
You swing left, and completely changes direction, so you have to stop all the energy in that swing, and at same time use much energy for a new swing.

Especially the step away animation looked unrealisticly fast, but if it is like that, it's probably because this would make gameplay better.
I'd rather have a unrealistic fast step back , than a step back which can't be used in gameplay cause it's to slow.

What worries me more is the 45min gamaplay video showing blocking with shield. It blocks every "bloodfly" attack, not a single one getting in. Blocking like that should have a chance to be break, and not only with power attacks.
Blocking should be based on the difference of strenght, and type of attack (strong attacks breakin blocks more easily than weak ones). This means a much stronger enemy than you will easily break your blocks, while for a weaker enemy it will be very hard to break your blocks.
Part of what annoyed me in G3. A goblin knocked you down as easily in the beginning as in the end, and a block against them had same chance of failure no matter how strong you were (except endurance though).

Guirao
12.09.2009, 17:11
It seems to me, only animations looks different, and the combat swings in G2 weren't exactly very realistic. The left and right swing (if you do it fast), would be very exhausting with a heavy weapon.
You swing left, and completely changes direction, so you have to stop all the energy in that swing, and at same time use much energy for a new swing.

Especially the step away animation looked unrealisticly fast, but if it is like that, it's probably because this would make gameplay better.
I'd rather have a unrealistic fast step back , than a step back which can't be used in gameplay cause it's to slow.

What worries me more is the 45min gamaplay video showing blocking with shield. It blocks every "bloodfly" attack, not a single one getting in. Blocking like that should have a chance to be break, and not only with power attacks.
Blocking should be based on the difference of strenght, and type of attack (strong attacks breakin blocks more easily than weak ones). This means a much stronger enemy than you will easily break your blocks, while for a weaker enemy it will be very hard to break your blocks.
Part of what annoyed me in G3. A goblin knocked you down as easily in the beginning as in the end, and a block against them had same chance of failure no matter how strong you were (except endurance though).

About blocking... yeah i noticed too in the videos, maybe if you don't have a shield you can't block animal attacks. I still remember in gothic 2 / 3 when blocking animals was a useless thing. IMO i prefere not having the ability to block animals but be able to make a backstep to avoid the hit rather than block at all time.

gabi4play
12.09.2009, 18:08
yeah why not blocking would be the same as gothic 1,2?

Dino
12.09.2009, 21:24
yeah why not blocking would be the same as gothic 1,2?

Actually, the blocking in g1 and g2 was completely out of balance. Can you imagine a really weak puny human, that lied under rocks for weeks, and has lost all his powers, block the charging attack of a huge, muscled, strong orc wielding a big-ass axe, or worse - sword(orc elite), with only just a small dagger or a heavy branch? Makes no sense.

Gjiror
13.09.2009, 20:22
I just started playing Gothic 2. (I've never played Gothic 1, only 3, which I enjoy) And I now realize why you praise the combat system so much. I love it, it keeps you on your toes :)

Btw, is it possible to change the resolution in Gothic 2? Mine is a 800x600, and when I try to change it to 1600x1000 it won't stay at that setting. I assume it's because it's such an old game.

Bruell
13.09.2009, 23:29
I just started playing Gothic 2. (I've never played Gothic 1, only 3, which I enjoy) And I now realize why you praise the combat system so much. I love it, it keeps you on your toes :)

Btw, is it possible to change the resolution in Gothic 2? Mine is a 800x600, and when I try to change it to 1600x1000 it won't stay at that setting. I assume it's because it's such an old game.

I tryed to install G2 yesterday to recap on the fighting system, the damn thing won't install or run on my win xp 64! §burn

RobinHood 13.
14.09.2009, 00:18

Of course that's possible, at video settings, choose resolution by using left and right arrow, and then press enter when chosen the res you want.
Never had any problems with it.

cifre
14.09.2009, 07:45

I know what you mean, just go in G2 ini file and change it from there. Be careful to write the right numbers for the resolution you want, save it and play the game.

I cannot believe you became a fan only because of G3!:eek: that's absolutely a weird thing for me as I didn't like too much G3 if it weren't for 1 and 2. Please play them both, they're incredible. You're like a virgin now, you can still taste the first kiss! :))) haha. Happy gaming man!

Gjiror
14.09.2009, 10:03
I know what you mean, just go in G2 ini file and change it from there. Be careful to write the right numbers for the resolution you want, save it and play the game.

I cannot believe you became a fan only because of G3!:eek: that's absolutely a weird thing for me as I didn't like too much G3 if it weren't for 1 and 2. Please play them both, they're incredible. You're like a virgin now, you can still taste the first kiss! :))) haha. Happy gaming man!

I G3 does have a lot of problems, but it managed to drag me in with its world. It was so full of detail and surprises and overall just beautiful. Sometimes the quests seemed like a chore, because all I wanted to do was run around and explore. :)

I'll try your advice. Also, I can't find the first Gothic anywhere in Finland. Been searching for it everywhere... :(

EDIT: Tried it, it worked, thank you :)

RobinHood 13.
14.09.2009, 10:17
If you change the ini file to another resolution that will work, but you might get a messed up screen(try 400x270;) and see for yourself).
Another thing, is when you exit the game it will go back to 800x600-
If you change the resolution in video options it will stay that way so you don't have to change it every time, and they have widescreen up to 1440x900, which should be acceptable.
If this is to low, you should stick to the standards
1680x1050, 1920x1200 etc.
Found that straying away from these, often led to game not covering whole screen, and high risk of many other bugs. Like inventory won't open correctly.

Used NOTR so results may vary.

foobar
14.09.2009, 10:25
It was so full of detail and surprises and overall just beautiful. Sometimes the quests seemed like a chore, because all I wanted to do was run around and explore. :)

Boy, you sure are easy to entertain. :D

I hope RISEN won't be too much to handle for you. ;)

Gjiror
14.09.2009, 10:36
Boy, you sure are easy to entertain. :D

I hope RISEN won't be too much to handle for you. ;)

Well, I haven't finished Gothic 3, I haven't even got halfway I think, so I'm not saying it's the best game ever. But exploring the world is just so much fun :P
When I want to play something good with a little challenge I play Mount&Blade and Drakensang.
I used to play Oblivion aswell, but all I ever do(and I repeat ALL I ever do) is that I steal everything from everyone. I get huge satisfaction from it :P

And Risen has exactly everything I wanted from Gothic 3 when I bought it. Actual story and good gameplay. Gothic 3 just struck another nerve and it encouraged me to play Gothic 2, which is giving me exactly what I wanted from Gothic 3. :P

cifre
14.09.2009, 11:02
If you change the ini file to another resolution that will work, but you might get a messed up screen(try 400x270;) and see for yourself).

that's why I said he should be careful. Use only standards.

Another thing, is when you exit the game it will go back to 800x600-
If you change the resolution in video options it will stay that way so you don't have to change it every time, and they have widescreen up to 1440x900, which should be acceptable.

NOPE. If you change the settings in the *.ini file it will always be the same. That's why you should do a back-up when you do changes in it. Try for yourself, the resolution stays the same. I also change blood level in G1 when I play it. I set it to 3 for maximum gore! :D

Gjiror
14.09.2009, 11:15
that's why I said he should be careful. Use only standards.

NOPE. If you change the settings in the *.ini file it will always be the same. That's why you should do a back-up when you do changes in it. Try for yourself, the resolution stays the same. I also change blood level in G1 when I play it. I set it to 3 for maximum gore! :D

Actually it did switch back to 800x600. And I can't change it in the menus.

cifre
14.09.2009, 11:59
Actually it did switch back to 800x600. And I can't change it in the menus.
Then change it into menu of the game and quit the game without playing. Change the ini file with the res you want and enter again.
Pretty weird as I always did like that and the res remains the same.

Gjiror
14.09.2009, 12:22
Strange, it works now. But I think it was because I typed in 1680x1050, I didn't realize the games maximum was 1600x1024. Never seen that resolution before.

Anyway, let's not derail the thread anymore. Back to discussing the combat in Risen. I personally love it.

cifre
14.09.2009, 13:11
Strange, it works now. But I think it was because I typed in 1680x1050, I didn't realize the games maximum was 1600x1024. Never seen that resolution before.

Anyway, let's not derail the thread anymore. Back to discussing the combat in Risen. I personally love it.

As I said, use only standards.

taske93
14.09.2009, 13:23
For what ive seen i think that melee combat is good but that yelling is annoying as hell..

SoM3
14.09.2009, 16:36
We surely have seen a lot of movies showing different stadium of combat, so right now we can have a good look at combos, schematic etc
But I would like to discuss one of the first Risen videos ever, from today point of view, after all those previews and so on..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpHIYiA9_Ys
I mean, the part at 0:18 to 0:23.
IMO combat here looks great, fast, dynamic, just how any combat should look like in swordfight game. It starts with little recoil after 2 attack in this same time (we saw that in one of the newset movies), then enemy does fast rotatry attack (we saw that many times before), he hits hero, but his next attack is paraded and countred (same as previous, we seen that before).
But all those moves linked together makes an epic duel, aren't they?

Ringo81
15.09.2009, 00:16
Concerning the blocks.
What i have seen in other gameplay videos is, that you wont be able to block every strike. It depends onto your abilities and your opponents abilities and strength.
Ogre strikes cannot be blocked at all. At least not if you try blocking only with a sword. Dunno about if using shields, so you will have to use side and back steps to avoid being hit.

wkr
Ringo81

Heart Collector
16.09.2009, 19:28
The combat is looking quite nice to me! I'm planning my first playthrough to be melee on hard difficulty, so I think I'll have a challenge ahead of me :cool: there seems to be a fair amount of timing and strategy involved, and the moves seem fluid and powerful.

Only thing that irks me is what Quy said about being able to equip a 2hander in one hand at the final "level"...

It sort of takes away the point of a two-handed sword, not because of the weight of the weapon (true combat two-handers were actually surprisingly light), but because I feel it beats the "put your entire body into the strike" purpose of a two-hander, not to mention negates the blade-held stabbing thrust technique versus full plate opponents employed by actual fighters. Not sure about axes to be honest.

But then again, this is a game, and if it looks and feels awesome enough I don't think I'll notice it too much!

Stalagmite
18.09.2009, 01:33
I probably will be mainly a skilled 1-hander first playthrough, with some proficiancy with the bow. What is more satisfying than sticking a spell-caster in the face with an arrow? ;)

Hard difficulty is a must as well.

cifre
18.09.2009, 07:07
I probably will be mainly a skilled 1-hander first playthrough, with some proficiancy with the bow. What is more satisfying than sticking a spell-caster in the face with an arrow? ;)

Hard difficulty is a must as well.
there has been discussed this already that there will be no 1H and 2H skills. just axe,sword and staff skills.

04WigmoreB
18.09.2009, 20:10
there has been discussed this already that there will be no 1H and 2H skills. just axe,sword and staff skills.
I think he meant that he would just use a one handed sword, not a two handed one. That's what I thought. What would maces come under? I don't remember seeing a mace skill.

Stalagmite
18.09.2009, 20:27
I think he meant that he would just use a one handed sword, not a two handed one.

Yes, I want to join the bandits first playthrough (mainly because Lee was my favorite NPC in the Gothic world, besides Xardas), so I shall be mainly using one-handed swords. Sucks there is no seperate skills for the blades, but I can compromise. ;)