PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : Strange news - RISEN to be released in May?

foobar
05.03.2009, 23:20
Take a look at our news: http://www.worldofrisen.de/

Some confusing and partly contradictory information has been released from Russia.

vivaxardas
05.03.2009, 23:35
You are right, I checked info on ND russian site. Risen is in a category "available for purchase soon", russian localization will be available, as stated "target release date - May 2009".
I was like - what a hell? :eek:

foobar
05.03.2009, 23:42
Yet Igromania says 2010. The debate in the german forum is quite heated up. Speculations go from inadvertently released info over translations errors by ND up to simple typos. No one knows for sure what's going on...

Judging from the other statements on the Igromania site (The island's name is RISEN? Hello?), I think we can safely discard their "info". What remains is the publisher who claims the release will be in two months.:dnuhr:

catalinux
05.03.2009, 23:43
It can't be may 2009. I haven't seen nothing like advertising for the game. And already full localised in Russian early this may?

Another magical barrier? I wish a beautiful blue sky :gratz

Zocky
06.03.2009, 00:08
may sounds too early, but 2010 sounds way too late. I still thinks it's gonna be early q3.

Maladiq
06.03.2009, 00:36
Oh, Michael, where are thou? Oh, Pixel, where are thou?

mihail
06.03.2009, 07:17
May its too good to be true , 2010 its a nightmare. Let s hope one of the PB will help us with a hint

Michael Rüve
06.03.2009, 12:06
Oh, Michael, where are thou? Oh, Pixel, where are thou?

I will (litreally, it may lose some pointedness due to that) translate my post from the German section:
"Belief can move mountains - and in Russia there are many large churches to practise belief in.

Personally I do not believe everything that's posted on some webpage somewhere in the world."

and

"We (PB) will not comment any further on this news."

Maladiq
06.03.2009, 12:25
I will (litreally, it may lose some pointedness due to that) translate my post from the German section:
"Belief can move mountains - and in Russia there are many large churches to practise belief in.

Personally I do not believe everything that's posted on some webpage somewhere in the world."

and

"We (PB) will not comment any further on this news."

Why are you treating this like some national secret ore some tabu subject? I mean... it is only about a release date. What is so bad if you comment on it or if it is found out?

Zocky
06.03.2009, 12:46
maladiq, i assume it has something to do with NDA, which means they are NOT ALLOWED to talk about it, untill publisher decided that they can. Until then, they are not allowed according to their contract with publisher, so it's pretty serious thing. Atleast that's how i understand it.

Michael Rüve
06.03.2009, 12:50
Why are you treating this like some national secret ore some tabu subject? I mean... it is only about a release date. What is so bad if you comment on it or if it is found out?
Besides from what Zocky has pointed out - you do know what happens if you publish a release date too early?

Has been known to result in both unfinshed games (when strictly enforced) and disappointed fans (when the date turns out to be wrong).

Maladiq
06.03.2009, 13:11
Then why not a simple denial like "They are wrong, the game wil be published later"? All this mystery feels like a big consipiration and leaked information etc, and it generaly looks unappealing.

Zocky
06.03.2009, 13:30
maladiq, who says they are wrong?

Maybe they are really targeting may, june or so, but they aren't sure if they can make it by then. So may might be true or not, since debugging and optimisation can be very unpredictible, so you never know how much time it can take.

Though Michael, i would like to ask you, and if you are not allowed to answear, that 's ok.
Is it possible to tell how far the development is? I mean, are you still implementing new quests, new 3d models and textures, new monters, new AI,...or are you mostly polishing game, debugging and similar?

Powaz
06.03.2009, 13:41
Strange. The island is called "Risen"? Sorry, that's just awful. §gnah
Hope it's not true. :)

jimokalos
06.03.2009, 14:23
Strange. The island is called "Risen"? Sorry, that's just awful. §gnah
Hope it's not true. :)

Yeah like in Arcania.The Southeren islands are called Arcania.

Argenguy
06.03.2009, 14:41

I don't know about that, I just know that there will be 2 realms in the southern isles: Setarrif and Thorniara.
But what it really bugs me is about a magic barrier in Risen. Again? This is not funny.

Zocky
06.03.2009, 14:56
dunno, magic berrier is just cool. :P

Argenguy
06.03.2009, 15:27
dunno, magic berrier is just cool. :P

Can't PB be a little more original? Sometimes I'm tired of games based on recurring clichés. Ah, I remember that in Risen we won't be able to dive into the sea and swim, and all because of a magical barrier. Bullocks!
If Risen will have a magical barrier, we should already know it from a long time, unless that the barrier won't be at the beginning.

Zocky
06.03.2009, 15:30
well, perhabs they could be a bit more original, but i really don't see anything wrong with magical berrier really. I still missed that awesome feeling when you saw the berrier at night in g1, when i played g2. G3 did have that berrier, but since it covered only part of the landscape, it wasn't really as intresting.

Michael Rüve
06.03.2009, 17:26
Though Michael, i would like to ask you, and if you are not allowed to answear, that 's ok.
Is it possible to tell how far the development is? I mean, are you still implementing new quests, new 3d models and textures, new monters, new AI,...or are you mostly polishing game, debugging and similar?
I am not, you are correct. Asides from what we have already said (which is quite a lot in fact) my lips will remain closed.

Argenguy
06.03.2009, 17:41
I am not, you are correct. Asides from what we have already said (which is quite a lot in fact) my lips will remain closed.

Then I will believe only in "Official Statements", and those come from Deep Silver. Right?

foobar
06.03.2009, 17:48
my lips will remain closed.

Oh, that's fine. All you have to do is move your fingers. :D

Maladiq
06.03.2009, 19:50
I think it is easier to find out CIA secrets than something about the development of RISEN:p Don't get it, in general. They are only games and are treated like the Holy Grail.

vivaxardas
06.03.2009, 19:55
I guess release in May can happen. If it is absolutely wrong release date, it would be very easy to say "no, they are wrong", whatever a real release date is. No secret would be leaked. Now he is neither conforming, nor denying. As I see it, the only situation when it is not dumb is when he can't deny the truth (or possible truth, if he is not sure), and can't confirm it because of some confidentiality agreement.

Info about magic barrier came from a different source - game magazine "Igromania". Some people on russian WOG believe that it is b.s. (If it is not, well - then it is just lame, you know. As if PB does not have a good writer who can create a new story, and only exploit the old stuff. Hope Risen won't be as dissapointing as G3, with community team fixing it for 2 damn years.)
Info about target release date came from New Disk company web-site, one of the largest publishing companies in Russia. They localized the Witcher, Call of Duty 4, Guild Wars, and such. For The Dark Eye, the game they are also publishing in Russia, the release date is just 2009. I don't think that they make a mistake with Risen.

And his remarks about belifs in Russia kinda... out of line, you know. It mildly insults people without any reason.

Jammer
06.03.2009, 21:05
Why are you guys so anxious? Are there not enough other games that deserve being played out in your free time? =)

Maladiq
06.03.2009, 21:24
Why are you guys so anxious? Are there not enough other games that deserve being played out in your free time? =)

No new Gothic:p

Zocky
06.03.2009, 21:30
No new Gothic:p

Exactly! :P

catalinux
06.03.2009, 21:45
Exactly! :P

I totally agree! :D

If the publisher from Russia is so important... than we have something to celebrate - in may we'll start learning basic Russian :P

The humble people from my country (Romania) also believes in the orthodox God and I believe in His power and if we think how big is Mother Russia and at the number of fans Risen has in there... I understand what Mike let us understand ;)

And above all...

I love Piranha Bytes!

(this doesn't mean I'm not sad we wont be able to swim & dive :( )

But I still don't believe the game could be published in May. Who knows about Risen game except for us from the English and German forums? Can you imagine thousand of humans fighting each other to grab a copy of the game in the release day? A collection edition? We haven't seen even the cover of the game. How would we find the game in the store?

TheDoctor
06.03.2009, 21:52
I'm going to choose not to believe this article until further proof has been given. :dnuhr:

Kostaz
06.03.2009, 22:15
If this is indeed true then I'm not very happy about it.

Dykunas
06.03.2009, 22:27
* the game is supposed to be released 2010
* the island shall have the name "RISEN"
* the island is surrounded by a magical barrier
* the magical catastrophe is the Inquisitor's fault
* the hero is sent to the island with an expedition to examine this
* the three fractions Inquisition, thiefs and mages can be chosen
* special attention has been paid to romances and the feelings of the hero will be used against him

For some "strange" reason, russians are the only ones who published this intriguing information :rolleyes:. Oh yeah, this is a reliable source....

The preliminary release date is: May 2009

Wouldn't be surprised if this was true for the russian version, because russian publishers usually treat their customers as beta (or in extreme cases alpha) testers :D

Jammer
06.03.2009, 22:40
Hehehe, remember when an early version of HL2 leaked? The Russians made it (almost) playable and were selling them on the black market :)

catalinux
06.03.2009, 23:06
Insomnia

rotator
07.03.2009, 09:47
May is a bit too early, they should promote it like crazy already. On the other hand, 2010 is a bit far. After all, according to Jowood's contract Gothic 4 must be released until 16th, Dec (1st, Feb on PC), and it's not in the interest of any companies to release similar games in the same timeframe.

Kirov Class
08.03.2009, 11:51
You just have to wait and see. Personally, I couldn't care less when it is released. Just as long as it's finished :).

Raconz
08.03.2009, 15:07

The world in ArcaniA is called Argaan. Thorniara and Setarrif are 2 big cities ;)

As for the strange news..what can i say.. it's too odd :p

Maladiq
08.03.2009, 16:49
The world in ArcaniA is called Argaan. Thorniara and Setarrif are 2 big cities ;)

As for the strange news..what can i say.. it's too odd :p

Jimo was ironic§wink

As for the preview or whatever in that magazine, it is only crap, god knows where they took it from.

mihail
08.03.2009, 19:52
...buttom line to that discution is that may or september or even 2010 if they decide so but the game must be finished 100%. Everybody here is hoping for may ,hell i m hoping for april or even tomorow , but the important thig is to be a good game , well optimised and whitout bugs

Kostaz
08.03.2009, 20:22
...buttom line to that discution is that may or september or even 2010 if they decide so but the game must be finished 100%. Everybody here is hoping for may ,hell i m hoping for april or even tomorow , but the important thig is to be a good game , well optimised and whitout bugsNo I ain't hopping for May cause I don't want another unfinished game,the game can be released in 2011 I can wait for as long as it takes I just a PB quality game.

catalinux
08.03.2009, 21:36
I checked deepsilver.com. Release date for Risen is 2009 (if you go to PC games - sort by release date). But this doesn't mean anything. I think we only hope Risen will be everything Gothic might have been if it would be released those days.

Lazor
09.03.2009, 12:35
Guys, most of you say: "I don't want a May release, because the game won't be ready by then and it'd be more like G3".

BUT what makes you think that you know better than PB itself the development progress of their game :D?!?

Zocky
09.03.2009, 12:53
yeah, who says if it's released in may, that it won't be polished. On the other hand, it may be released in 2010 and still not be polished. So if PB decides to release it in may, i'll asume they have polished it enough .

Kostaz
09.03.2009, 12:54
Guys, most of you say: "I don't want a May release, because the game won't be ready by then and it'd be more like G3".

BUT what makes you think that you know better than PB itself the development progress of their game :D?!?Dunno been screwed once,don't want to be screwed again,guess it's instinct.

catalinux
09.03.2009, 15:15
We have a word in Romania: "Cine s-a fript o data sufla si in iaurt"
I'm not so good in English maybe someone else could translate it §wink

jimokalos
09.03.2009, 18:03
Dunno been screwed once,don't want to be screwed again,guess it's instinct.

All Gothic games (except G1) had lots of bugs since the publisher was Jowood.But now there is no Jowood and Deepsilver gives PB as much time as they need.So,time for a PB game with no bugs.:D

Maladiq
09.03.2009, 18:24
We have a word in Romania: "Cine s-a fript o data sufla si in iaurt"
I'm not so good in English maybe someone else could translate it §wink

Maybe: "Who burnt himself once with soup, will blow eaven in the yougurt" :D

Powaz
09.03.2009, 18:53
All Gothic games (except G1) had lots of bugs since the publisher was Jowood.But now there is no Jowood and Deepsilver gives PB as much time as they need.So,time for a PB game with no bugs.:D

Jesus Christ, except Gothic 1? §rofl
Maybe except Gothic 2, which almost had no bugs at all even in the release version.

Maladiq
09.03.2009, 18:55
Maybe except Gothic 2, which almost had no bugs at all even in the release version.

Indeed, I remember playing the G2 original, no patches, and had even less bugs than g1 1.07 .

Zocky
09.03.2009, 18:59
Uh, all gothic games had bugs, lots of them. Some even had meat on them. :P
Also, i hope you guys don't expect that Risen will have no bugs at all. All games nowdays have bugs, without exception, so we can only hope there won't be too much of them and if they are, that they won't be noticeable and annoying.

catalinux
09.03.2009, 22:58
I can't remember any bugs in Gothic 1.08j & 2 except for the meatbugs zorky was right :p There was only one in G2 Addon involving Lee.:dnuhr:
@maladiq: you couldn't translate it better ;)

Zocky
09.03.2009, 23:03
well, one bug that accured sometimes in g1, was for example when you were to find focus stone at the place where those bandits were, and the troll too iirc. Diego was suppose to meet you there. The bug was, that sometimes, the winch got stuck iirc, or something like that, can't really remember anymore.

And in one of the mines, old mine i think, once you got down from the ledder, i couldn't go completly up, so i had to use other means to climb up again.

AND the famous bug with Gorn in the mine, when he all of sudden starts to attack you.

and the list goes on and on :P

Maladiq
10.03.2009, 01:28
Do not forget the many orc warriors that attacked ur-shak and that were oblivious to your hits and continued attacking the poor fellow, so you could take them out one by one. That was quite useful if i think about it.

And of course the baal in the orc cemetery that didn;t follow you and just dissapeared.

jimokalos
10.03.2009, 16:09

G2 had tons of bugs((the german version when it was first released in 2002) .(more buggy than G3),And you didn't need patches because you played it around in 2003 or more where the patches had been made and they were already added on the original CD.G1 had its bugs but still nothing compatible with G2 and 3. BTW:I know that some guys now are going to argue like dogs with me and tell me ''NO,NO you are an idiot,G2 was the most playable game in the world when it was first released,and those tons of patches for the german version were made for fun''. Ontopic now(to satisfy the mods) : It looks strange to me that we have tons of ingame schreenshots from Arcania which will be released in one year and for Risen(which is going to be released in some mounths) we barely have some artworks

Powaz
10.03.2009, 16:21
No it wasn't. Stop lying. It has been discussed over at WoG a few times no need to spam this forum too with lies. You probably played the "really buggy Gothic 2 that nobody has heard of" version.

It looks strange to me that we have tons of ingame schreenshots from Arcania which will be released in one year and for Risen(which is going to be released in some mounths) we barely have some artworks

Wha? Man look around there's plenty of Risen ralated stuff.

Bastardo
10.03.2009, 17:04
(which is going to be released in some mounths)Really? Where did you find that info? Just asking because you're famous for pulling facts out of a magic hat and that quote comes from a post containing THE greatest jimmy fact.

jimokalos
10.03.2009, 17:44
No it wasn't.
Stop lying.Stop saying that i am lying.You do not have permission to say what i have played and i haven't.In that case in my opinion you have never played G3.:mad:
It has been discussed over at WoG a few times no need to spam this forum too with lies. Pseudomoderating is also spam here.Also everyone has the right to say his opinion here.Who are you to tell me what to say.
You probably played the "really buggy Gothic 2 that nobody has heard of" version. Who told you that?There are many germans who have played it,and also Tevelocesc.So,this is also spam if you take it that case.

Wha? Man look around there's plenty of Risen ralated stuff. Yes but not with gameplay. And @Bastardo:Do you even look at the title of the thread?No?I thought so.:rolleyes:

foobar
10.03.2009, 18:03
Ok, now. Please settle down a bit, both of you. It really not nice to accuse others of lying, Powaz. As for jimokalos, if you gave proof to your claims you would prevent such responses in the first place or at least put up a much better defense than a "mad" smiley and using words like "pseudomoderator".

I know that the non-official bugtracker of the community for G3 had over a thousand entries only two weeks after the release. I don't know the numbers for G2 but I doubt they were higher...

Maladiq
11.03.2009, 11:58
@jimas: check the list of risen related information and this: http://worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=60613

TheDoctor
11.03.2009, 15:43
I can't remember any bugs in Gothic 1.08j & 2 except for the meatbugs zorky was right

No it wasn't. Stop lying. It has been discussed over at WoG a few times no need to spam this forum too with lies. You probably played the "really buggy Gothic 2 that nobody has heard of" version.
Gothic 1 and 2 had many bugs, although not to the same extent as Gothic 3. They often crashed for me, on some graphics card the icons for items in the items list were invisible and the lag in Khorinis is permanent (no matter the power of your computer). Just to mention a few.

Really? Where did you find that info? Just asking because you're famous for pulling facts out of a magic hat and that quote comes from a post containing THE greatest jimmy fact.
Last info we heard was that Risen is to be released in May. Whether this is true or not is another question, but it's to be considered. About a year ago, everybody thought Risen would be released in Q1 2009, and now I think most of us believe that Risen will be released in Q3 or Q4. Which is in a couple of months.

It's alright to correct someone if you find a statement faulty, no need to act like you do, Powaz and Bastardo (like children, that is). I really have to side with jimo on this one, he's getting blamed for the provocation of others. Let's keep it friendly.

Powaz
11.03.2009, 16:01
It's alright to correct someone if you find a statement faulty, no need to act like you do, Powaz and Bastardo (like children, that is). I really have to side with jimo on this one, he's getting blamed for the provocation of others. Let's keep it friendly.

Alright, sorry, lads. But as I said it has been discussed over at WoG and some folks showed actuall proof. Of course I agree that there are a few problems like the lag in town and the crashes, to be more exact that's the only annoying thing about Gothic 2 that I had. I never stumbled upon a broken quest, missing items or etc. Gothic 1 on the other hand had quite some bugs.

It has even been discussed over at RPG Codex.

jimokalos
11.03.2009, 16:34
Alright, sorry, lads. But as I said it has been discussed over at WoG and some folks showed actuall proof. Of course I agree that there are a few problems like the lag in town and the crashes, to be more exact that's the only annoying thing about Gothic 2 that I had. I never stumbled upon a broken quest, missing items or etc. Gothic 1 on the other hand had quite some bugs.

It has even been discussed over at RPG Codex.

I never said that G1 didn't have bugs.Also G2 vanillia didn't have bugs because you just played it very late.Let's go back to ontopic now.

TeLovesc
12.03.2009, 12:27
sorry for being off-topic but i thought this thread is about Risen release time ,not bugs of the former gothics.
Well ,a release in May would be possible ,but not likely to happen. As far as i remember they started in may ,almost 2 years ago ,so that gives the game 2 years of developing. But PB had many ideas long before starting working on the game,so this makes it a lot easier. Plus ,for some of them this is the 4th rpg ,and the game would take only 50 hours of playing,and this means the game wont be huge.
The engine is somehow similar to G3`s engine ,again ,this makes it easier for them.
SpellBound got 2.5 years of developing ,and G4 will be bigger than Risen , plus the guys from SB never worked on a RPG. And if you think Risen is rushed ,then what do you say about Gothic 4??

Maladiq
12.03.2009, 12:51
SB does not have a history of relesing unfinished games, that is why people trust them more after this 2.5 years.

Danutz_plusplus
12.03.2009, 13:11
SB does not have a history of relesing unfinished games, that is why people trust them more after this 2.5 years.

But they're also pretty much unknown. Their only good game I've played was the first Desperados. PB is also pretty much unknown, but they managed to create a series of at least 2 and 1/2 great games and one bad one, which isn't something dismiss.

Zocky
12.03.2009, 13:18
People trust SB more then to PB?

Isn't that like saying that people trust me more as president of, say usa, then mr. Bush, because bush failed sometimes, and i never failed? True, but i never was president of usa, so how can i fail then? And bush, like pb, failed only because he actually was doing something, like PB was actually making rpg. I can only have respect for SB when they actually release something.

Hm, your logic is somewhat odd. I should trust more to somebody that never even made any rpg at all, then to someone who alredy prooved to make several awesome rpg's, even if they were somewhat buggy.

Or to put it difrently, i should trust noobs more then masters (generaly speaking), just because noob never failed before. But the reason noob never failed is that he never did anything so how can he fail then?

I trust PB more then SB, simply because PB already made 3 kickass rpg's, while SB didn't make any at all. Doesn't mean ofcourse that Arcania will be bad, but so far PB prooved a lot more themselfs then SB did.

foobar
12.03.2009, 14:07
People trust SB more then to PB?

Isn't that like saying that people trust me more as president of, say usa, then mr. Bush, because bush failed sometimes, and i never failed?

Did you just compare PB to George W. Bush? Ok, now I'll have to kill you. Come over here... ;)

PB was never known for bugfree games but honestly, I already wrote (http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showpost.php?p=8630135) that I don't have a problem with bugs as long as there are not too many. PB does have a reputation for creating atmospheric RPGs (ok, G3 was not my taste, but 2,5 games were really good). I think they still deserve a little trust... :)

Zocky
12.03.2009, 14:19
that's what i'm saying. PB alredy made several kickass rpg games, while SB made none so far, and yet somehow we are suppose to trust more Sb then pb. I reall fail to see any logic in that.

There is very good reason why SB never had buggy RPG games. Because they never made any.
That's why i mentioned the president thing. In that anology, people should trust more then obama or bush, just because they failed as president and i did not. But i never was president, so it's only normal that i never failed as one.

The thing is, that PB now has lots of experience with bugs and i'm sure they will take care of them now. While SB never got that far that in rpg game where they would have to deal with these sorts of things. that's why i trust more PB, because they have alredy experienced that and knows now how to deal with them, while with SB, that's not the case.
So, i will really trust SB when they actually release more or less bug-free game, that will also be as good rpg as PB's gothics were. Only then can you really say we can trust SB.
T

Maladiq
12.03.2009, 20:20
that's what i'm saying. PB alredy made several kickass rpg games, while SB made none so far, and yet somehow we are suppose to trust more Sb then pb. I reall fail to see any logic in that.

There is very good reason why SB never had buggy RPG games. Because they never made any.
That's why i mentioned the president thing. In that anology, people should trust more then obama or bush, just because they failed as president and i did not. But i never was president, so it's only normal that i never failed as one.

The thing is, that PB now has lots of experience with bugs and i'm sure they will take care of them now. While SB never got that far that in rpg game where they would have to deal with these sorts of things. that's why i trust more PB, because they have alredy experienced that and knows now how to deal with them, while with SB, that's not the case.
So, i will really trust SB when they actually release more or less bug-free game, that will also be as good rpg as PB's gothics were. Only then can you really say we can trust SB.
T

I am not saying SB will make a better RPG than PB, but I think there are more chances they will release a finished game with fewer bugs.

vivaxardas
12.03.2009, 23:54
I would agree with this. As I know, people in SB are very careful as developers in terms of quality of their products. I have no doubt that their game will have very few bugs, and will be well-optimized. The story is a different matter though.

Maladiq
13.03.2009, 00:26
I would agree with this. As I know, people in SB are very careful as developers in terms of quality of their products. I have no doubt that their game will have very few bugs, and will be well-optimized. The story is a different matter though.

I think Arcania's storyline will be at least decent, as you said they are very careful for the quality of the product. The question is how Gothic will the story be:)

Zocky
13.03.2009, 01:17
yeah but maladiq, you are basic that on the fact that SB released a lot les big games, especially rpg, then PB did. I can only say something like that once they will actually release one rpg, like arcania.

Dunno what other games they made, but rpg games is very complicated genre of games to make. A lot more things can go wrong then with fps games for example.
So since they aren't experienced at all in rpg's so i don't see why you people see them as better then pb in that area.
And at last, don't forget the JW. I bet g3 would be a lot better if pb simply had enough time. If JW decides to release game to early, it will have bugs weather SB is likes it or not. And since JW did that not just to PB, but to loads of other devs/games, i wouldn't be all ther super optimistic regarding bugs in arcania. I say lets wait and see, but i defenetly wouldn't say SB has more chances of releasing bugfree game, as i said, among other things, they are not as experienced as PB is.

But saying that, i'm not saying arcania will be bugfest. Not at all, i'm just be a bit more reasonable when you say something like that. When SB released arcania and if it will be great game like all gothics, AND if it will be almost bugfree, then i will be able to tell all what you are saying maladiq. But not until that happens. I can't trust them to make bugfree rpg game, when they never did any.

Maladiq
13.03.2009, 01:29
Let's hope we are both wrong and both games will be finished by the time they are out:)

As for JW, I think that is a marketing strategy, to release unfinished games. Otherwise when the games are pirated, the pirates won't need patches. And pirated games and patches are quite a no-go. So I think they might do that on purpose.

Dykunas
13.03.2009, 07:36
Let's hope we are both wrong and both games will be finished by the time they are out:)

As for JW, I think that is a marketing strategy, to release unfinished games. Otherwise when the games are pirated, the pirates won't need patches. And pirated games and patches are quite a no-go. So I think they might do that on purpose.

Not true, there are cracks for patches also, and some other ways to go around the useless protection which only screws the customer. They release unfinished games because they want to hit the release deadline which is often pretty unrealistic considering the development time given. Besides, the less time the game is in development the less expenses they suffer, which is why they prefer to trick their customers into buying games that are in beta stage.

Maladiq
13.03.2009, 13:07
Not true, there are cracks for patches also, and some other ways to go around the useless protection which only screws the customer. They release unfinished games because they want to hit the release deadline which is often pretty unrealistic considering the development time given. Besides, the less time the game is in development the less expenses they suffer, which is why they prefer to trick their customers into buying games that are in beta stage.

They could just as easy make their contracts with the developers for the whole development period, not set deadlines: something like you have 100k bucks each when the game is complete would be better than saying you have 50k a year. This way rushing will have no point.

Dykunas
13.03.2009, 14:03
They could just as easy make their contracts with the developers for the whole development period, not set deadlines: something like you have 100k bucks each when the game is complete would be better than saying you have 50k a year. This way rushing will have no point.

Yes it will, because when the game is being developed, they are not getting any income from it, thus they have no money to start new projects. So they want to finish it as soon as possible. But this is where good reputation and company morals come into place, you have to keep a delicate ballance between releasing the game too soon, or too late, to be successful.

Michael Rüve
13.03.2009, 15:33

Sounds nice but is not a solution.
There is hardly any independent developer that is able to fund their own project. Bear in mind that for both sides - publisher and developer - time is literally money.
In development almost all costs are personnel (and associated like rent for office for the people), so extension by any amount of time will automagically extend the required budget. So in the end the publisher (as the one providing for funding) will once again have to decide whether to spend more money or ship as is. A bankrupt developer will not produce anything since there will be no people left to do any work.

Take a look at the development done in Germany for the traffic toll system. That was a huge project. Most of it software related. Yes, they had a timeframe and a budget. Turned out it didn't work out - so what was done? Was extended - at the cost of the German government (IIRC 1,5 billion EUR).
And that was not even a game nor small companies involved.

vivaxardas
14.03.2009, 07:17
They change info on russian site. Now target (preliminary) release date is Q3 2009. The same Q3 2009 is on some other sites I found. So, I guess, Q3 it is.

Katsche
14.03.2009, 12:13
They change info on russian site. Now target (preliminary) release date is Q3 2009. The same Q3 2009 is on some other sites I found. So, I guess, Q3 it is.
Why don't we just wait for Deep Silver to give us the release date, although Q3 sounds pretty convincing for me.

Maladiq
14.03.2009, 12:47
As a coincidence, g3 was also released in fall. Let's hope it is not bad luck to release games in fall:D