PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : Advent Calendar - New «Risen» Artworks!

Powaz
03.12.2008, 17:04
So guys we have a new Advent Calendar (http://www.worldofrisen.de/calendar08.php?) with new artworks!
Discuss!
How do you like the swords?

Zocky
03.12.2008, 17:25
Well the design of Risen seems to be very difrent from the one in Gothic. And i like that. I like it that swords are very unique. In general, great work so far, PB!

Powaz
03.12.2008, 17:30
Ralf said those swords are "the special ones" and that there's only a few of 'em in the game. Like endgame weapons I guess.

rekinu
03.12.2008, 19:52
I like the swords. And like Zocky said, I also like that they are different from the Gothic design.

If those are the special swords, maybe the green colour comes from special stones (something like ore) ? And I guess the yellow colour is gold.

Powaz
03.12.2008, 19:55
Yeah. The Island is a vulcanic one, who can tell what minerals and ore's can be found there. :)

Bastardo
03.12.2008, 20:28
We have 6 swords already but they're still cut in half... well, I like those halves.
The materials really look like volcanic stuff.

And the green one must be radioactive.§knin

I remember something like each sword being more specific/special, maybe those funky materials have something to do with that.

Zocky
03.12.2008, 20:42
Well, i don't mind radioactive swords as long as we don't see hazard suits in Risen. :P

Demonium
03.12.2008, 21:53
Those swords look like they are made of ore. Volcanic...i like that :)

But the design of the swords look a bit like alien spaceships to me :p.
I expected to see some more regular medieval weapons...But its ok. We will get used to them.;)

Powaz
04.12.2008, 06:08
Well if they showed us some simple medieval swords it would have been boring as hell.
I got the feeling this game's gonna have steam punk... Awesome. :D

cifre
04.12.2008, 11:18
The swords look ok, though not for Risen, at least not as I was expected.... Like Demonium said, too alien or too fantasy for me. We were promised a medieval style and of course, being a game it can have some stylish things, but not like that. it's too much.. I hope is just an artwork and not a model implemented in the game.

MladjanDJ
04.12.2008, 11:58
I like what I see. It's different, a little more fantasy than before, which I like :)

Argenguy
04.12.2008, 12:27
Obsidian, that's the volanic ore you may meant.
Some of those swords look that they are made with obsidian. Maybe they are ancient, and we will find them in the rising ruins that will appear in the game.

TheDoctor
04.12.2008, 12:45
It's too early to begin analyzing those images. What we've got so far are just fractures of a bigger picture. I intend to wait before I make any judging. I'm positive to the calendar, but I can't really say much about what we've seen so far.

Time will tell. Let's get hyped. §burn

Demonium
04.12.2008, 14:39
I had seen some structures from the artworks earlier, now i see the swords and one word came into my mind...Atlantis.

It reminds the mythical Atlantis. Like in Age of Mythology.

Zocky
04.12.2008, 14:57
Now that you mention it, the whole game so far appears to be like mythical Atlantis. Which would be incredibly awesome. :P

emperorzorn
04.12.2008, 15:17
The swords look ok, though not for Risen, at least not as I was expected.... Like Demonium said, too alien or too fantasy for me. We were promised a medieval style and of course, being a game it can have some stylish things, but not like that. it's too much.. I hope is just an artwork and not a model implemented in the game.

Almost all weapons in Risen will have a realistic medieval style to them.
There might be ornaments on them that set them apart from the common
medieval weapons which you see in every game.

The swords you see here though are rare weapons.
Some of these concept arts didnt even make it into the game.
And those who did make it are very unique weapons,
which exist like once or twice in the game world.
Think of it like of the Claw of Beliar from the G2 Addon.

In general the npcs in the world of Risen use medieval weapons with a realistic feel to them.
The reason why we werent shown those in the calendar is simply that it
would be boring to look at common clubs and swords as we see them in
every run-of-the-mill RPG.

I hope now things are a bit clearer. :gratz

rekinu
04.12.2008, 16:06
We will find out tomorrow, how the rest of the 4 swords look.

It may be that they form pairs. The horizontal ones from day 1 have something in common. Maybe togheter they become more powerfull, or something like that.

Also I think the 2 swords from day 3 are easier to wield and that they can be charged or something.

triangles
04.12.2008, 20:49
I think the green should be kind of a rusty green, make it look like a rock.

Zocky
04.12.2008, 23:11
Ok here's how weapons looks, from what we can see (i hope PB don't mind for a little Photochoping):
http://i38.tinypic.com/2912m1h.jpg

Bruell
05.12.2008, 03:10
wow, these swords look friggin awesome.
I wonder if the lime green inlay (sword to the left) indicates some elven like people? :dnuhr:

Although I must say, they are a bit on the heavy side... I hope there will be some a bit more graceful ones to have.

The overall graphic display seems to me still a bit preliminary. But lets see what's next....

scarlak
05.12.2008, 06:44
Would it be right to assume there are 2 different factions portrayed in the swords we have been showed so far?
Personally i see 2 very distinct styles green-silver v black(silver)-gold

Its hard to picture how a bright green colour fits into the world, more something i associate with aliens but im sure its will work just fine :)

Powaz
05.12.2008, 06:57
The Elder Scrolls have green glass weapons and they fit perfectly in my opinion. I don't know I like those swords, because they look interesting not some old steel swords...

cifre
05.12.2008, 07:40
Shit!! then I'm a f***ing dinosaur!!!!
how can you link this crappy childish fantasy swords to a medieval game which should have been much similar to Gothic? Oblivion? Aliens? I honestly hope this will not be in the game... otherwise I would say PB have gone completely out of their minds.

Argenguy
05.12.2008, 08:03
I have to say it, I don't like them either. I like more traditional weapons like in Gothic 1-2. Hopefully these weapons will be unique, you won't see them in the hands of a petty thief.

Bamfy
05.12.2008, 08:13
I have to say it, I don't like them either. I like more traditional weapons like in Gothic 1-2.

This is NOT Gothic!
You guys don`t know even 5% of the game and you already are saying what it fits and what doesn`t?

Zocky
05.12.2008, 08:29
OH for crying out loud. I swear i will never ever understand some people. Yes this is rpg game, but above all, it is FANTASY game, not MEDIEVAL. They can make up whatever the heck they want, doesn't have to remotly realistic. In fact, i'm glad they are making something that is outside of the box of traditional boring design of fantasy. Seriously, this is FANTASY, and let them use some imagination to make the game more unique.
Somebody mention aliens. Hey, i'm all for it.
Seriously, you have shitloads of rpgs with tipical medieval desings (including swords). Why on the world shouldn't Risen be something difrent, something speacial?

And yes, this ISN'T Gothic. This is Risen.
Again, i'm really glad PB is using it's own unique desing for weapons, and not tipical boring medieval weapons. And why on the world should they use the boring design?

I think some people would be the most happy if pb was just clone of Gothic/LOTR world. I say it's by far much more intresting to play game in world, that looks unique, then in LOTRish world, where you know how everything will look even before you start playing, simply because it's 'tipical fantasy'. Now tell me, which one you like more?
PB, all i can say so far, fantastic job man! Keep it up!

Argenguy
05.12.2008, 08:44
This is NOT Gothic!
You guys don`t know even 5% of the game and you already are saying what it fits and what doesn`t?

Yeah, I'm more traditional with my tastes of weapons designs. So what?
Still, I always accept cool, original weapon desings, but I simply don't like the ones from the artworks. Why I must?
Besides, as you can see in the teaser trailer, the characters wield traditional medieval swords.
Again, those are rare weapons, one of a kind, ancient and made from special materials.

TeLovesc
05.12.2008, 09:22
i don`t know what to say . I just hope the game wont be TOO fantasy...

rekinu
05.12.2008, 09:45
I don't think one should judge the whole game by looking at just 2 artworks.

I never heard someone complain that this guy was too colourfull, too green, too fantasy or too alien... :rolleyes:
http://mondgesaenge.de/G1DB/screens/varrag-kasorg.jpg

You only meet them in a special place and they add something new to the temple. Why would someone be bothered by 6 UNIQUE swords, that maybe have GREAT STORIES behind them?

I like the swords, good job Piranhas ;)

Powaz
05.12.2008, 11:16
how can you link this crappy childish fantasy swords to a medieval game which should have been much similar to Gothic?

It shouldn't. End of story.

Demonium
05.12.2008, 12:50
If these weapons are rare and have some story behind them, it would be ok...

But personally this is not my taste or my type...I prefer more common ones and more realistic. Those weapons arent even realistic...

And you mentioned fantasy. What makes you think that medieval swords cant have some new appearance and fantasy touch...?

http://s11.directupload.net/images/081205/temp/m3uwdjwe.jpg (http://s11.directupload.net/file/d/1634/m3uwdjwe_jpg.htm) http://s10b.directupload.net/images/081205/temp/9stnha68.jpg (http://s10b.directupload.net/file/d/1634/9stnha68_jpg.htm) http://s10b.directupload.net/images/081205/temp/ccpa5k7i.jpg (http://s10b.directupload.net/file/d/1634/ccpa5k7i_jpg.htm) http://s9b.directupload.net/images/081205/temp/pwzteyyt.jpg (http://s9b.directupload.net/file/d/1634/pwzteyyt_jpg.htm)

KingOvi
05.12.2008, 12:58
For me the swords go well, that's still an early stage of how they will look in the game, but my favourites ones are definitely the kind of swords that we see in the previous post. Gothic 2 used that kind of weapons, and it was something I really missed in Gothic 3.

cifre
05.12.2008, 13:06
No Powaz, Zocky it should! because this is what have been discussed here over and over again. Even they said it will have similarities with Gothic. I did not said that I want another Gothic, you just made suppositions. I said that the game will follow the same medieval feeling and atmosphere..... This is what Gothic was about and this what PB said will Risen be. IT WILL HAVE THE SAME MEDIEVAL DARK OR WHATEVER ATMOSPHERE. NOT FANTASY.
Maybe you want me to go back to all threads and find all that you post behind to show you wanted the same thing only that now you seem to forget.
Demonium, what you show there is different, it is not bad at all! a bit of fantasy does not hurt, but what we see there in the calendar is already WAY too much.

Powaz
05.12.2008, 13:13
I don't think these swords make the game kinda childish, just because there are some fantasy weapons doesn't mean it won't be dark. And by the way it's a medieval dark fantasy game, if you people want realistic stuff go and play M&B or something.

I want the realismus of Gothic, the NPC's backstories and etc. Gothic felt alive and swords like Claw of beliar weren't destroying anything.

cifre
05.12.2008, 13:23
well I'll keep my opinion. I for sure want changes and not another Gothic, but I don't want for sure a NWN or some other kids stuff. then again, if those swords are just for the fun of it, or appearing in the game as artefacts, I wouldn't mind at all. Just don't put it in my hand to fight with it.

Zocky
05.12.2008, 13:40
Oh cut the crap people and lay of the swampweed. :P
Realism in Gothic? sheesh. Magic is realistic? Paladins are realistic? Magic ore is realistic? Orcs are realistic? Ore weapons with special powers (Uriziel) is realistic? Magic barrier is realistic? Sleeper is realistic? Dragons are realistic? It's realistic to hit somebody 3 times with heavy war axe, and it's still fighting back? Dragon snappers are realistic? I could list these things forever.
Yeah i can see how gothic is very realistic.
Gothic was ANYTHING but realistic. And it shouldn't be, it's FANTASY afterall. It had many details, and it had more of a darker mood, but for christs sake, don't talk about realism in the game that has magic and where dragons, orcs and whatnot is walking around. You saw any dragons walking/flying around latealy? or orcs for that matter? So please, stop talking about realism here.

Realism is maybe need for speed or something, not Gothic. And i said i would like to overall feeling to be SIMILAR to gothic, the not visual design. I never said that. Even if i did, what i see so far, it's by far better then simply copy-pasteing gothic world.

cifre
05.12.2008, 13:54
No, you did not understood.
We are still talking about a game. And nobody said nothing about realism, but about feeling and atmosphere. so we are speaking about a genre not about the concept of realism and fantasy, but about the genre of 'fantasy game' and.. 'gothic game' (I can say that PB established a new genre). Therefore Gothic genre is not at all fantasy but is a GAME with dark medieval atmosphere with unrealistic elements (if you want it like that).

Zocky
05.12.2008, 14:00
i still disagree. Magic was by far too important in all gothics to count Gothic as medieval with some unrealistic elements. Everything about it was un realistic. And honestly, i don't see how gothic was much difrent then baldur's gate 2? it didn't have elfs and similar, but other then that, they weren't much difrent.

Just for example, Swamp camp. Most people loved it, the design and the general idea, and it does not have anything to do with tipical medieval design. Nothing. It's completly made up design, and only thing that is really looks medieval, was their weapons, nothing more. But nobody complained about it.

The only point in gothic was darker mood and not the LOTRish heroish mood, where you would be humanity's only hope. Gothic never felt like it, but it rether felt like you are just an average joe, living in hard times, where you needed to do many things in order to survive. THAT's the essence of Gothic, and not how realistic it was.

cifre
05.12.2008, 14:08
THAT's the essence of Gothic, and not how realistic it was.

... And nobody said nothing about realism, ...

sigh...

Demonium
05.12.2008, 14:13
Its not about realism...The swords i posted above are not realistic as well, but they dont look alien at least...They are fantasy weapons but fit the atmosphere of a fantasy medieval RPG...

TheDoctor
05.12.2008, 14:18
i still disagree. Magic was by far too important in all gothics to count Gothic as medieval with some unrealistic elements. Everything about it was un realistic. And honestly, i don't see how gothic was much difrent then baldur's gate 2? it didn't have elfs and similar, but other then that, they weren't much difrent.

Just for example, Swamp camp. Most people loved it, the design and the general idea, and it does not have anything to do with tipical medieval design. Nothing. It's completly made up design, and only thing that is really looks medieval, was their weapons, nothing more. But nobody complained about it.

The only point in gothic was darker mood and not the LOTRish heroish mood, where you would be humanity's only hope. Gothic never felt like it, but it rether felt like you are just an average joe, living in hard times, where you needed to do many things in order to survive. THAT's the essence of Gothic, and not how realistic it was.
I disagree with this whole post. The things I liked most about Gothic was just the realism.

Its not about realism...The swords i posted above are not realistic as well, but they dont look alien at least...They are fantasy weapons but fit the atmosphere of a fantasy medieval RPG...
They do not look unrealistic. Just because it's fantasy doesn't mean it can't be realistic; Realism is not the same as "the real world (that we live in irl)", but making something feel believable and true.

Zocky
05.12.2008, 14:25
But cifre, ofcourse you are talking about realism, about medieval realism. Those weapons domenium posted, are very much realistic as you could actualy use them in battle (even though it may not be the most practical).

You guys are saying it looks to alienish exactly because they look to difrent from the realistic weapons that was actually used in battles in RL. So, maybe you aren't aware of it, but you sir ARE talking about realism here.

It does not look like the real weapons (like on the pic dom. posted), therefor it's too alienish (aka not realistic enough so to speak). if they looked more like real weapons, you would be fine with it. You sure you don't talk about realism?

What i'm talking, is that Gothic never really felt like real medieval at all. When i see real medieval movie for example, i feel it's a lot difrent then Gothic, and when i see some fantasy movie (but not lotr), i find it much more similar to Gothic atmosphere.

Gothic's atmosphere was intresting because it was DARK, NEGATIVE, MISTERIOUS even, and not because it would be either fantasy or medieval or whatever you call it.

Why i don't like lotr for example, is not because it would be too much 'fantasy', but because it feel too heroic and positive. You kinda feel like you are hero saving the world yet again, but in Gothic you never felt that really. You were much more bussy to feel heroic. And that's what was imo so good about Gothic and the fact that it was fantasy or medieval or anything like that, has nothing to do with it.

TheDoctor
05.12.2008, 15:25
Why i don't like lotr for example, is not because it would be too much 'fantasy', but because it feel too heroic and positive. You kinda feel like you are hero saving the world yet again, but in Gothic you never felt that really. You were much more bussy to feel heroic. And that's what was imo so good about Gothic and the fact that it was fantasy or medieval or anything like that, has nothing to do with it.

I think you're overintellectualizing the whole deal.

Bamfy
05.12.2008, 16:28
Still, I always accept cool, original weapon desings, but I simply don't like the ones from the artworks. Why I must?
Besides, as you can see in the teaser trailer, the characters wield traditional medieval swords.
Again, those are rare weapons, one of a kind, ancient and made from special materials.

Traditional?This isn`t a sequel to Gothic.Or do you expect that every game from now on will have weapons like in Gothic,respecting the tradition?(that doesn`t actualy exists)
I didn`t tell you to like the weapons,but stop comparing Risen with Gothic cuz they aren`t the same.They surely will have things in common,but I hope that it will not become a copy of Gothic.Why to respect the whole tradition when they can change it in something new and good as well,even better?
As you said it,those are unique weapons.So,you won`t see them to often.

Rashnu
05.12.2008, 16:54
Fellows, relax!

Ralf said on the other place:

Keine Sorge: das sind alles nur Entwürfe für "Special-Swords". Und nur wenige davon haben es ins Spiel geschafft...

Translation: "Don't worry. These are all just draft concepts for unique swords. Almost none made it into the game..."

And even those who were considered for the game may have have seen design changes.

Zocky
05.12.2008, 17:02
OH drat, sorry to hear that. I was looking forward to some realyl unique weapons. Oh well...

Bastardo
05.12.2008, 19:56
Wait to see the game and then decide what fits and what doesn't fit... you may just discover PB already worked on fitting things by then. ;)

I won't discuss this matter anymore. Why we always have to end discussing about irrelevant things such as this. Lame game if you ask me, all because one likes it blue but the other likes it red. I even said that I can accept everything, even if I personally don't like it.
The quote from Ralf makes it pretty pointless, too.

Argenguy
05.12.2008, 20:20
I won't discuss this matter anymore. Why we always have to end discussing about irrelevant things such as this. Lame game if you ask me, all because one likes it blue but the other likes it red. I even said that I can accept everything, even if I personally don't like it.

Bruell
06.12.2008, 07:05

right on ..

well I'll keep my opinion. I for sure want changes and not another Gothic, but I don't want for sure a NWN or some other kids stuff. then again, if those swords are just for the fun of it, or appearing in the game as artefacts, I wouldn't mind at all. Just don't put it in my hand to fight with it.

I don't think they look childish, maybe a bit feminine. AND, the final will be more finished looking and then acceptable.

OH drat, sorry to hear that. I was looking forward to some realyl unique weapons. Oh well...

I do hope PB will actually bring some of these into the game, beside all the standard medieval weapons.

And I must say, that I don't understand what the fuss about these weapons is all about, I assume there will be a large variety of swords to choose from..
if you don't like this one, take a different one. :dnuhr:

Demonium
06.12.2008, 13:03
I know that a sword doesnt changes the game. And as someone already said, there are many weapons into the game. If you dont like it, you can wield a different one...

But i am just saying my personal opinion about those swords in the artowork.

Everything is a matter of taste...We can not all like the same things...

Personally i dont like those weapons at all. Specially not for unique swords...

A special and unique sword was dragon slayer...I would like to see my hero at the end of the game wielding something similar to this...
http://s11.directupload.net/images/081205/temp/m3uwdjwe.jpg (http://s11.directupload.net/file/d/1634/m3uwdjwe_jpg.htm)

and not that thing in the artwork.

Zocky
06.12.2008, 13:16
Domenium, that swords looks kinda ok, although i don't think it really fits into Gothic like game (dunno about risen), but these sort of swords are sooooooooooo overused. Every 3d modelers, when they start, make sword like that, and you have them in pretty much all the RPGs. That's why i prefer something more difrent, like those designed by PB.

Don't get me wrong though, i'm not telling you to like that swords.

Maybe it's just me, but i sometimes get upset sort of, when i see people who wants to have same and same thing all over again. I find that boring. I'm kind of man who likes to some unique, difrent things every once in a while, as long as the general feeling in the game stays the same, and by that i mean dark, moody feeling.

But, since Ralf said himself, there will be plenty of 'realistic weapons' too (although as somebody said, that's not really the proper term here), but there will be couple of unique, fantasy weapons too. So i suppose everyone should be happy at the end.

Also, lets not forget that orcs in gothic 1 used weapons that was nothing like real weapons, and most people still liked it. That's because it really fits to the general orc design (g1 orcs that is). So who know about these special weapons.

Oh, one last thing. Those swords also may looks somehow cartonish, because they are drawn. When they will use realistic shaders, i bet they will look less 'plastic'.

Powaz
06.12.2008, 13:22
http://i38.tinypic.com/2912m1h.jpg

I don't know why people don't like 'em. They look much more realistic (especially the green bladed one) than weapons like Uriziel or Claw of Beliar.

Yeah I kinda don't want to Risen be like a "It's Gothic with a different name" game. The more unique things there are the better (Inquisitors monocle). I feel steam punk which came I think from ideas of Bjorn I bet. :D

Zocky
06.12.2008, 13:27
Yeah it actually does have certain steam-punk feeling to it, which is kinda cool.
Lets not forget there already is a GOTHIC (aka Arcania) in the making already, so i think it's for everyone's good if Risen will be a bit more unique then.

Powaz
06.12.2008, 13:31
Most guys want to see those boring swords that look like this (http://www.gamoholic.net/images/stories/Gothic4/Gothic413.jpg).
It wouldn't been fun if they had showed us these uninteresting swords. But with these end game weapons they started a huge fire in the community which is a good move. :D
C'mon Risen Light My Fire! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iSXrZYhJt4) :D

emperorzorn
06.12.2008, 15:25
A new Risen artwork has just surfaced on the calendar hosted by the fanart portal.
Apparently Ralf gave it to them for use in their calendar.

The artwork is an early stage visualization of what was going to be the forbidden isle.

You can find it here (http://www.piranha-fanart-portal.de/content/advent/advent2008/sndbslasj/day06.php)
You can also directly download the artwork along with a wallpaper here (http://www.piranha-fanart-portal.de/content/advent/advent2008/sndbslasj/downloads/pbdigitalartd08625356774523645_allerlei01.rar).

Powaz
06.12.2008, 15:27
Hmmm I kinda don't believe it. What's that bridge supposed to be for... Thanks a lot :]

emperorzorn
06.12.2008, 15:43
Hmmm I kinda don't believe it. What's that bridge supposed to be for... Thanks a lot :]

People say Ralf just added the bridge for perspective,
like the poles in his other discarded isle artwork.

Powaz
06.12.2008, 15:56
Dunno, kinda not Ralfs style but who knows :]

Zocky
06.12.2008, 16:20
What is bridge suppose to do? Well, dunno, allow people to cross from one side to other? What a silly question (i know i know, i kid :D)

emperorzorn
06.12.2008, 16:30
Dunno, kinda not Ralfs style but who knows :]

Oh, if you check this (http://www.worldofrisen.de/gallery_pic143.htm) out you will see that
Ralf is capable of rather colorful artworks aswell.

It also shows the poles used for creating perspective and depth
which I mentioned earlier.
The bridge might be another tool with the same function
and speaks for Ralfs style.

;)

EDIT:
I have talked to a few people and they referred me to a confirmation of Ralf.

Das Motiv war das allererste, dass Mike und Co dazu anregte, überhaupt über eine Vulkaninsel als Setting nach zu denken.
Ich hatte nach dem Ende meiner Arbeit an Gothic 3 Zeit, einfach mal mögliche Szenarios zu entwerfen und vorzustellen, die keinen anderen Zwecke verfolgen sollten als den Rest des Teams zu Neuem zu inspirieren...

Translation (here I go again):

This concept art was the very first, which had driven Mike and the others to think about having a volcano isle as setting in the first place.
After my work on Gothic 3 was done, I had time to create and imagine possible scenarios,
which didnt serve any other purpose than to inspire the team to something new.

So this artwork was the artwork that created the entire scenario that Risen is set in.
Its the source of inspiration for the setting of project Risen if you want to call it that way.

Powaz
06.12.2008, 18:31
Oh, if you check this (http://www.worldofrisen.de/gallery_pic143.htm) out you will see that

I'm not talking about colors I talk about the style itself. Yeah this picture just shows Ralfs style and now compare it to the artwork from fanportal. They look different to me.

Edit: After a good look I can say it's possible that the artwork is by Ralf.

And if I get it right tomorrow we should see another artwork.

Lazor
06.12.2008, 23:16
So here are the swords:

CLICK (http://www.worldofrisen.de/_data08/wallpaper_sword_1024x768.jpg)

I do really like 'em.

Powaz
07.12.2008, 07:19
I was wrong. :]

Oh yeah the swords... They look amazing. Good work PB :)

emperorzorn
07.12.2008, 12:25
I really like the sword designs.

The green one is a bit too short though
(apart from emitting a radioactive green glow).

And the one on the very right has a certain futuristic feel to it.

But what positively surprised me was the one with golden blade.
In the beginning it looked like it would most likely turn out to be
a rather ugly design, but now that I see the entire sword
it looks really neat to me.

SlamDunk
08.12.2008, 20:41
This one from Dec 8 looks like a part of a screen shot to me :)

http://www.worldofrisen.de/_data08/lixyrdvgt.jpg

Demonium
08.12.2008, 20:52
This one from Dec 8 looks like a part of a screen shot to me :)

Nope...Its an artwork...;)

SlamDunk
08.12.2008, 20:57
Nope...Its an artwork...;)
Do you know for SURE that it is artwork? You can see some aliasing in the left pole, for example.

The more I look at it the more it looks like an in-game screen shot.

Powaz
08.12.2008, 21:18
Nah. It's an artwork. :p

Rashnu
08.12.2008, 21:26
Do you know for SURE that it is artwork? You can see some aliasing in the left pole, for example.

The more I look at it the more it looks like an in-game screen shot.

You want to see a screenshot, don't you? :D

I'm leaning more towards a newer version of the harbour artwork, Ralf presented us many months ago. Jodob has a plausible explanation where today's section might fit in: click me. (http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showpost.php?p=7908242&postcount=233)

SlamDunk
08.12.2008, 22:15
You want to see a screenshot, don't you? :D
If there's an opportunity for it, I'm all eyes (like everyone else in here) :p

Jodob has a plausible explanation where today's section might fit in: click me. (http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showpost.php?p=7908242&postcount=233)
Yup, I checked that out earlier today but I was not convinced. I need a Piranha to prove me wrong §wink

Zocky
08.12.2008, 23:00
Yes, that's artwork and not screenshots. Very nice artwork too, i must say.
However, my watching the palm tree, you can see it's hand-painted. So yes, i'm SURE it's artwork.

Lazor
09.12.2008, 07:56
So it's pretty clear now. 20 and 24 do not hide any artwork but "something else" :)!

scarlak
09.12.2008, 13:12
So it's pretty clear now. 20 and 24 do not hide any artwork but "something else" :)!

Hope they are music samples! :D

Zocky
09.12.2008, 13:43
I don't think that's the case. Who says image can't have 6 parts? There was one with 6 parts in previous xmas calendar.

Bastardo
09.12.2008, 15:28
So it's pretty clear now.What makes it so clear? O_o

ICFabian
09.12.2008, 17:06
http://www.uesp.net/morrow/hints/images/wp_glass.jpg :P

But I love them anyway. The black edgy one looks more like a long broken stone ^^ (I think it'd fit great with some orc-like race)

Powaz
09.12.2008, 21:41
I really wanna see the swamp artwork... §gnah

Dykunas
09.12.2008, 21:42
Although we have yet to see the more minute context in which these swords will be used, but seeing as how Risen is suposed to be a spiritual succsesor to Gothic i don't really see this kind of style very fitting.

What i liked about Gothic, is that even as a fantasy game it had a rather high degree of verisimilitude. The dark color palete used in Gothic was reminiscent of the dark ages, which gave it an interesting general atmosphere. Furthermore, most items seemed practical and weren't burdened with trite accessories seen in every generic fantasy rpg.

The weapons in the artwork are a bit too flashy for my tastes. A special weapon doesn't necessarily have to pull your sleeve to catch your attention, somtimes subtile details make for a much better first impression.

Powaz
09.12.2008, 21:49
Although we have yet to see the more minute context in which these swords will be used, but seeing as how Risen is suposed to be a spiritual succsesor to Gothic i don't really see this kind of style very fitting.

I think thats what Piranhas wanna tell us. Risen isn't a new Gothic. It's a brand new IP and they wanna try new things. "Back to roots" doesn't mean it's gonna be Gothic, they meant the game will be main focused on storyline and deep, believable world.

Dykunas
09.12.2008, 22:22
I think thats what Piranhas wanna tell us. Risen isn't a new Gothic. It's a brand new IP and they wanna try new things. "Back to roots" doesn't mean it's gonna be Gothic, they meant the game will be main focused on storyline and deep, believable world.

Well, trying new things is always welcomed, but the label of "spiritual succsesor" means that new ideas should not conflict with the core principles brought by the label...

Bastardo
09.12.2008, 22:58
Depends what do you mean with spiritual successor, Bioshock is supposed to be a spiritual successor to System Shock, just to name one.

Dykunas
10.12.2008, 05:16
Depends what do you mean with spiritual successor, Bioshock is supposed to be a spiritual successor to System Shock, just to name one.

"Supposed" ;)

Bastardo
10.12.2008, 06:37
"Supposed" ;)Yes, supposed. :p

And keep in mind that from what has been stated only one (or two, or none?) of those designs are going to be used in the actual game and only for pretty unique stuff. I bet my nuts you'll still have your good old plain longsword.

cifre
10.12.2008, 08:10
Even though the discussion was used, I tried to say the same thing as Dykunas did, only he said it better! :)

Danutz_plusplus
14.12.2008, 15:00
Hmm, just noticed the desert canyon in the calendar. Pretty cool, and I'd love for such a place in the game. Would definitely be very intriguing to explore such a canyon.

Powaz
14.12.2008, 19:04
Hmm, just noticed the desert canyon in the calendar. Pretty cool, and I'd love for such a place in the game. Would definitely be very intriguing to explore such a canyon.

Canyon, swamp... Reminds me NotR :)

Bastardo
14.12.2008, 19:13
Canyon, swamp... Reminds me NotR :)
Yeah, and what about that small ruin.

Powaz
14.12.2008, 20:45
Yeah, it seems it's really inspired by NotR, but also remember Ralf saying there will be a medieval like city (stone walls and etc). Probably gonna be a mix of Medieval and tropical stuff.

vivaxardas
14.12.2008, 22:06
Swords are pure fantasy ones, not functional. A bit overdone for my taste, but they may be ok. Depends how they fit into the game.

About the environment. All these cool stripped (layered rock) canyon walls indicate that the rock is sedimentary (old continental), not volcanic (igneous) rock. I believe their references are from American South-West - Utah, Arizona, and such. They are right in the middle of a plate, no tectonic activity there. All these cool features are made by erosion. It is an impossible geology for a volcanic island. I guess it is not a big deal. Nobody knows geology anyway, and sedimentary rocks look cool. But if they want some volcanic realism, just check out Yosemite pictures. Or buy any introductiry geology textbook to learn the difference.

Danutz_plusplus
15.12.2008, 06:50
About the environment. All these cool stripped (layered rock) canyon walls indicate that the rock is sedimentary (old continental), not volcanic (igneous) rock. I believe their references are from American South-West - Utah, Arizona, and such. They are right in the middle of a plate, no tectonic activity there. All these cool features are made by erosion. It is an impossible geology for a volcanic island. I guess it is not a big deal. Nobody knows geology anyway, and sedimentary rocks look cool. But if they want some volcanic realism, just check out Yosemite pictures. Or buy any introductiry geology textbook to learn the difference.

Lol, you forget that this is a fictional island set in a fictional universe. How do you know that it's governed by the same laws as our world? :D

Plus, as you said, nobody cares about stuff like that, as long as it looks good and is fun to explore.

Argenguy
15.12.2008, 07:04
Magic tends to be wild and chaotic, even more if it comes from deities. Magic could amaze you but it also could be a headachache.That is what I would love to see in Risen, magic in wild state.

SlamDunk
15.12.2008, 15:57
OK. Time to step on the stage and say that I was wrong. It is artwork, not a screen shot :)

http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showthread.php?p=7914842#post7914842

Powaz
16.12.2008, 06:34
The harbour town look fantastic! :)

RobinHood 13.
16.12.2008, 13:28
Swords are pure fantasy ones, not functional. A bit overdone for my taste, but they may be ok. Depends how they fit into the game.

They did say those swords are special. Most weapons are regular medieval swords, clubs etc.
Not particulary interesting.
Those swords you see are special very powerful sword, which you may only be able to aquire once or twice. They don't need to look very practical as these are higly magically enchanted.
Also they said not all of those will be in the game. They were ideas for such kinda swords.

About the geology on the island compared to volcano. I think it's stretching it a bit to far, and I doubt it will ruin the game experience for many.
They will probably also have something called magic, which goes against common sense.

vivaxardas
16.12.2008, 18:04
I know. I love these canyons. In g2 it was my favorite part. But it is kinda cliche already. It instantly reminds me StarWars-1. Volcanic valleys are darker, more grim and scary. Dark rocks look like they are scarring the land. To live on the island with an active volcano is a bitch. It is like a feeling of desolation (canyons and deserts in general) vs. a feeling of menace and imminent destruction.

And one more point: even if they have a canyon, it can't be so clean. It should be dirty because of the volcanic ash. Otherwise it does not make any sense, magic or not. If they have an active volcano, there must be ash everywhere - on the streets, in the forest, fall from the sky as a snow. And people should talk about it, and probably clean the streets regularily.

Maladiq
16.12.2008, 22:20
I know. I love these canyons. In g2 it was my favorite part. But it is kinda cliche already. It instantly reminds me StarWars-1. Volcanic valleys are darker, more grim and scary. Dark rocks look like they are scarring the land. To live on the island with an active volcano is a bitch. It is like a feeling of desolation (canyons and deserts in general) vs. a feeling of menace and imminent destruction.

And one more point: even if they have a canyon, it can't be so clean. It should be dirty because of the volcanic ash. Otherwise it does not make any sense, magic or not. If they have an active volcano, there must be ash everywhere - on the streets, in the forest, fall from the sky as a snow. And people should talk about it, and probably clean the streets regularily.

Totally agree with you, mate. I would love to hear Ralph's opinion on this. :gratz

Powaz
17.12.2008, 06:03

And what if the volcano was sleeping for 1000's of years and only awoke now following some huge events in the Isle. :]

vivaxardas
17.12.2008, 07:18
Then it is ashing right now. If volcano is active, there must be ash falling, and it must be noticable. It's impossible to avoid. Couple of days - and everything is dark-grey. It took a very short time to bury Pompeii from 0 to many feet of ash. This volcano is not that active, but still it won't be realistic at all without falling ash. And if to judge by their artwork, this volcano is rather mighty active.

Powaz
17.12.2008, 07:29
Yeah ash storms would be awesome :].
I remember Morrowind now. :D And I think they'll do it like in Morrowind, only the zones near the volcano will be ashy.

Danutz_plusplus
17.12.2008, 11:34
Yeah ash storms would be awesome :].
I remember Morrowind now. :D And I think they'll do it like in Morrowind, only the zones near the volcano will be ashy.

God I hated those areas around that mountain. :p Couldn't see anything. But it sure was atmospheric. :D

Powaz
17.12.2008, 11:46
God I hated those areas around that mountain. :p Couldn't see anything. But it sure was atmospheric. :D

Yeah same. :D Just couldn't stand ash storms.
Bethesda did a great job, they made Vvardenfell like I knew it from lore books. :) I really loved the unique look of ashlanders and their yurts. I hope Risen will have unique looking factions and guilds too :)

Powaz
18.12.2008, 13:24
Two new Risen artworks at the artwork collection of WoR. (http://worldofrisen.de/gallery_6.htm) :)

Holy crap does that swamp monster look awesome! :eek:

Lazor
21.12.2008, 11:57
It looks freaking awesome indeed !!! :eek:

Demonium
21.12.2008, 13:18
Just a new version of Swampshark...looks cool indeed

But the one from Gothic 4 looks better IMO (maybe because its based on the previews model of Gothic 2)

Bastardo
21.12.2008, 13:46
Nice stuff.

Powaz
21.12.2008, 13:51
Just a new version of Swampshark...looks cool indeed

But the one from Gothic 4 looks better IMO (maybe because its based on the previews model of Gothic 2)

Maybe because this monster isn't a swampshark? It doesn't even look like one.
As Ralf stated thousands of times: Risen will have many wormy creatures.

Demonium
21.12.2008, 14:23
Maybe because this monster isn't a swampshark? It doesn't even look like one.
As Ralf stated thousands of times: Risen will have many wormy creatures.

Are you pretending the blind? Or you are truly blind my friend?
These are 2 completely different monsters right?
http://s11.directupload.net/images/081221/aefy4kqj.jpg (http://www.directupload.net)
Dont want to insult you but please tell me why you are such a fan boy? Cant you see that both models are into a swamp, have very similar bodies and look almost the same? Cant you see that Spellbound and Piranhas compete each other?

Oh...another one...a bloodfly in both games....
http://s10b.directupload.net/images/081221/vuw8j6cx.jpg (http://www.directupload.net)

I like that there will be similar monsters in both games...When you will play both games you will feel that you are on the same world but on different parts...And furthermore its good to see that both games have influences from Gothic...

But its too childish if you deny any similarity in those monsters...

Powaz
21.12.2008, 14:31

Yeah both monster look wormy/slugish but all in all they look different. Same with the fly's the Risen one is completely different then the Gothic one, completely. Cheers.

Oh and by the way all those monsters are Piranha Bytes design so whatever :D

KingOvi
21.12.2008, 14:38
Nice swampshark in the latest artwork, unfortunately I think there will be no special gift :(.
Demonium, you are right, it's obvious that those are similar monsters !
I like it to have two 'children' of the best ever RPG in the history of Games, GOTHIC.
BTW, the Risen world will be a tropical one it seems.
Why do I feel the Bloodfly from Arcania's artwork looks Alien'ish ?? :D

Demonium
21.12.2008, 15:07
Thats the point...They are based on Piranhas design...That means both games will be similar to Gothic...visually at least

Thats what i want to see...:)

Powaz
21.12.2008, 15:14
Thats the point...They are based on Piranhas design...That means both games will be similar to Gothic...visually at least

Thats what i want to see...:)

But I really hope Risen will bring something new and interesting. :)

Demonium
21.12.2008, 15:33
Both games will bring new and interesting staff ...Also its "healthy" to see something new after 8 years...:p

Bastardo
21.12.2008, 16:21
Don't forget they're not copying, they're evolving. Bloodflies, Swampsharks, "Risen-flies", and "Swamp-worms" all come from PB.
And if the flies are so similar, then I remember fighting them in Final Fantasy too, to name one. ;)

Now that I think about it the flies in FF8 had some similarities with the Swampshark too.

SlamDunk
21.12.2008, 16:39
The complete harbour artwork image is so beautiful and fantastic. I instantly set it as my desktop wallpaper :)

Bastardo
21.12.2008, 20:31
It's not complete yet o_O

Bamfy
21.12.2008, 21:22
I think he means the harbour from the artwork collection of WoR.(Powaz posted a link to it)
Both monsters are similar.It would be cool if PB will make some kind of world,like Forgotten Realms that Bioware made(or copied at least) and Baldurs Gate,NWN,Icewind Dale belong to the same realm.
The point is,Gothic and Risen to be in the same realm.:D

Powaz
21.12.2008, 21:30
Forgotten Realms is a setting of Dungeons & Dragons pen n' paper game and it's owned by Wizards of the Coast

The point is,Gothic and Risen to be in the same realm.:D

Nah, that would be stupid.

Check this (http://upload.worldofplayers.de/files/hOKRuinen.jpg) out

SlamDunk
22.12.2008, 03:24
It's not complete yet o_O
It is if you bother to spend a couple of seconds to figure out the filename :)

Rashnu
22.12.2008, 08:06
It is if you bother to spend a couple of seconds to figure out the filename :)

Some people might prefer not to get spoiled before the 24th. If any of you think otherwise, please do it in private. No spoiler tags either, please.

TheDoctor
22.12.2008, 13:03
Some people might prefer not to get spoiled before the 24th. If any of you think otherwise, please do it in private. No spoiler tags either, please.

Have you checked the source code for the calendar?

It's impossible to get the right filename by chance. :p

wsxcedrvf.jpg
lixyrdvgt.jpg
hj56nb.jpg

etc.. Good luck, SlamDunk. ;)

The complete harbour artwork image is so beautiful and fantastic. I instantly set it as my desktop wallpaper :)

Um, wtf? :p How did you do that? PM me.

Edit: Nevermind. I figured it out. ;)

KingOvi
22.12.2008, 14:11
It does indeed looks awesome, and I'm happy I didn't have to wait till 24 :D
Thanks for the idea

TheDoctor
22.12.2008, 17:22
The 24th box might still be something other than artwork, though.

Doesn't necessarily have to be a part of the harbour image.

Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Lazor
22.12.2008, 17:27
The 24th box might still be something other than artwork, though.

Doesn't necessarily have to be a part of the harbour image.

Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Yep, I think tomorrow we'll get the whole artwork release and on the 24th there'd be something special - just like the previous calendar.

Powaz
22.12.2008, 17:28
Don't forget there's another calendar, so this might contain no goodies :)

TheDoctor
22.12.2008, 18:18
Don't forget there's another calendar, so this might contain no goodies :)

You mean the one form 2007? If so, that's old news. :p

Or do you mean a third?

Powaz
22.12.2008, 18:20
Fanart - Portal (http://www.piranha-fanart-portal.de/) one. I linked a new artwork today late at night, well morning. :)

TheDoctor
22.12.2008, 18:51
Fanart - Portal (http://www.piranha-fanart-portal.de/) one. I linked a new artwork today late at night, well morning. :)

Who cares about fanart? ;)

Just kidding. But I don't.

Powaz
22.12.2008, 18:58
Man, that calendar has also some artworks by Piranha Bytes. :]

TheDoctor
22.12.2008, 19:20
Man, that calendar has also some artworks by Piranha Bytes. :]

A very bare two pieces, but still.. sure. :p

Powaz
22.12.2008, 23:01
This year you were all bad so no goodies! :p

Maladiq
23.12.2008, 09:50
In the harbour wallpaper you can see some ruins on the top of the mountain in the upper right part of the image. What do you think it is up there?

Bruell
03.01.2009, 21:18
In the harbour wallpaper you can see some ruins on the top of the mountain in the upper right part of the image. What do you think it is up there?

Trouble, I guess ... probably those risen ruins....

edit: now that i had a closer look, It might be a part of a castle curtain wall, but the stones would be out of scale...