PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : Risen Lore/Story Discussion

Powaz
19.08.2008, 09:54
Hello all.
Soon we'll see a story trailer and I thought why not to make a lore/story discussion thread where people can speculate and etc.So let's discuss ;]

What we know:
1.The Gods in the Risen world have dissapeared.
2.A new force has appeared.
3.The game will be set in a Vulcanic Island called the Forbidden Island.It's very hard to travel to that island, looks like The Island has it's own will.
4.Strange things started to happen in the island - ruins started rising from the earth.
5.A strange brotherhood of some sort called the Inquisition came to the island to investigate the strange things.

emperorzorn
19.08.2008, 18:26
There is also something wrong with the sea around the island,
but the PBs just wont spill the beans what it is yet.

:p

nooneimportant
19.08.2008, 18:29
3.The game will be set in a Vulcanic Island called the Forbidden Island.It's very hard to travel to that island, looks like The Island has it's own will.

Sounds kind of like "Skull Island" from King Kong. It is a really good concept in my opinion. I also like that it is an island that will allow many similar story elements to that of Khorinis:).

Powaz
19.08.2008, 18:31
There is also something wrong with the sea around the island,
but the PBs just wont spill the beans what it is yet.

:p

Yeah, If I remember correctly when we talked about diving Ralf said that it's too dangerous to dive in the waters of the Island.Would be a great explanation for the loss of diving.

emperorzorn
19.08.2008, 18:36
Yeah, If I remember correctly when we talked about that there won't be diving Ralf said that it's too dangerous in the waters of island.

I think its some sort of storm created by magic to keep people out.

Imagine that....
You are trapped on a island, with a volcano about to erupt
and about to drown everything in lava.
A storm around the island prevents you from escaping,
and there is only one ship that is in posession of the Inquisition.
All factions would be bashing their heads in to get on that ship.

Sounds like...fun.

Powaz
19.08.2008, 18:39
Sounds like Gothic 2 :p
I'm really interested in the disappearance of gods, the new power and the golden gauntlet artefact which was the first artwork we saw, but we really know almost nothing about it.

We know that someone important will have it and that's all.

Powaz
19.08.2008, 18:59
I also think the Inquisition will be joinable, because once a guy asked something like "Can a guild throw you out if do something bad?" and Ralf(?) said "Of course the Inquisition doesn't tolerate some things", but I might be wrong. :]

And still I have a feeling that they're the bad guys.

Powaz
19.08.2008, 19:08
I doub.
I believe Risen will be much darker then Gothic 2 was.And again PB stated (I think, it was so long ago) that the Inquisition have found something poweful and set their rules in the Island, which led the people to hate 'em maybe just out of fear.I really believe that they'll be controled by something darker.The artefact?Possible.

Ashborn
19.08.2008, 22:15
A storm around the island prevents you from escaping,
and there is only one ship that is in posession of the Inquisition.
All factions would be bashing their heads in to get on that ship.

:gratz The idea with storm is good, but why do you think that this kind of storm can be passed on a ship?:p

I also think the Inquisition will be joinable, because once a guy asked something like "Can a guild throw you out if do something bad?" and Ralf(?) said "Of course the Inquisition doesn't tolerate some things", but I might be wrong. :]

And still I have a feeling that they're the bad guys.

As far as I remember, it was said something like "will the inquisition do something good or not very good, every person will decide on his/her own." I can't give you a link on this information cuz it's on my native language :D It may be here but on deutsch and I have no idea how to search it. :dnuhr:

emperorzorn
19.08.2008, 23:26
:gratz The idea with storm is good, but why do you think that this kind of storm can be passed on a ship?:p

Well, I figured that if the storm protects the isle,
the cause of the storm is on the isle.
So after slaying the mage/being that caused it, the storm would end
and you could board the ship to leave the island or something..

Maybe the storm is even caused by the person using this golden glove artifact,
to keep people out of the island that he reigns over...who knows...

I also read something about the hero being shipwrecked and stranded at the island.
But I'm not too sure where I read that, so dont take that for granted.
However, the artworks with the ship give away that there is some sort of storm going on.

aqwerty
19.08.2008, 23:46
it seems to be pretty similar to the gothic 1 background story.
a group of people are stuck somewhere and something doesnt let them out.
the hero is trown into that place (in risen he's shipwrecked and in gothic 1 he is trown into the barriar).
the hero tries to get out of that place and to do that he needs to break that something.

something in gothic 1 = barriar.
something in risen = storm.

i am probably wrong because this information is not enough to make speculations.

Rethon
20.08.2008, 00:18
I also read something about the hero being shipwrecked and stranded at the island.
Here you are. (http://pc.ign.com/articles/897/897058p1.html)
I like the idea of being shipwrecked on a mysterious island. :dup:
@aqwerty
Well, you could be right about that. It would also apply to the "Back to the Roots". :)

emperorzorn
20.08.2008, 00:25
Here you are. (http://pc.ign.com/articles/897/897058p1.html)
I like the idea of being shipwrecked on a mysterious island. :dup:

Too kind of you, Rethon - as always :gratz

Ashborn
20.08.2008, 02:25
Well, I figured that if the storm protects the isle,
the cause of the storm is on the isle.
So after slaying the mage/being that caused it, the storm would end
and you could board the ship to leave the island or something..

However, the artworks with the ship give away that there is some sort of storm going on.

I didn't say there's no storm. :D You just didn't say that people who pretend on this "inquisition ship" are going to take it after the evil will be defeated. :D Otherwize, an idea about factions trying to steal that ship has no meaning, as they won't be able to pass through that storm. :dnuhr: That's what I was trying to say:gratz
:grinundwe

Argenguy
20.08.2008, 03:39
I don't get why you guys want to know too much about the game, you will get spoiled and hyped for that, because you will start to speculate the game, and maybe most of the thing that you wanted to have in the game, won't be in the final product.

Powaz
20.08.2008, 06:00
I don't get why you guys want to know too much about the game, you will get spoiled and hyped for that, because you will start to speculate the game, and maybe most of the thing that you wanted to have in the game, won't be in the final product.

It's natural.

cifre
20.08.2008, 06:05
OK, this is my story version.
This island is some sort of the oldest civilisation cradle. Now some guy found something(possible the artifact glove) and tries to wake up the forces of the old civ to get magical power which will enhance him to rule over the present days. Of course, summoning the old powers, it will raise all the old things around and to the island (RISEN could came from this ?!?! - old civ risen from death/past). Now this guy is fearing that until his plan will be complete (meaning that the volcano must erupt to close the circle and complete the summoning) someone could destroy his plans and therefore he is making all possible to keep the mystery and keep out all the human beings out of the island. but destiny is always finding some ways to keep up and our hero will be driven by the storm to this island in the nick of time to save it.

:) is it credible?

Powaz
20.08.2008, 06:12
Sure it is, but don't forget the fact that the Gods have dissapeared.I think everything will be connected.

I just think that the Inquisition will be corrupted.

Bamfy
20.08.2008, 11:26
In that article it says that the hero is shipwrecked on the island because of some storm, but it would be a good idea that the storm continues to last so that the hero can't escape the island. And the storm is magical and it's controlled by the same force that controls the rising ruins and the volcano. So the storm would be simillar to the Magical Barrier, isolating everyone on the island.

that would be maybe too Gothic.:p
but hey,even if there ain`t a magical storm,the hero still has to work for people to get a ship.I mean,those folks won`t be idiots to give their boat,to a greenhorn like him just for nothing no?

Powaz
20.08.2008, 12:19
I knew it the Inquisition are kinda the bad guys!
The High Inquisitor is wearing that glove!

The trailer is amazing!

Argenguy
20.08.2008, 12:59
I knew it the Inquisition are kinda the bad guys!
The High Inquisitor is wearing that glove!

The trailer is amazing!

Glove? I rather call it: Heavy, bejewelled gauntlet.

Powaz
20.08.2008, 12:59
Yeah, probably golden too. :)
And that minocular with a ruby inside...awesome.Looks more magical then tech'ish.

Argenguy
20.08.2008, 13:03
Yeah, probably golden too. :)
And that minocular with a ruby inside...awesome.Looks more magical then tech'ish.

No! it's too opaque to be golden, it look more like bronze. And the monocle is maybe used for see the unseen, it's and magic infrared scope, you can see spectres with that.

Powaz
20.08.2008, 13:14
Right.

Now the question is, why don't they let people outside of town, I don't think they care about the people, there's something inside the island the Inquisition wants not to be found by others.

Bastardo
20.08.2008, 13:29
"New" ruins randomly rising?

Powaz
20.08.2008, 13:42
Possible.

Or maybe what's in them.Then there's a question why do those ruins Rise!
I'm really interested in the event that happens before the game...Tomorrow we probably get more info.

Some new info: Looks like somekind of King ordered the Inquisition to travel to that Island and solve the problems.
from Golem.de (http://www.golem.de/0808/61862.html) but of course they might be wrong because I checked all the other sites and none mentioned any kings.

Powaz
21.08.2008, 08:41
Breaking news!
The joinable guilds:
1."The Lawless" - they're are kind of fighter guild that rebels againts the rules of the Inquisition.
2.The Mages - some dudes in a temple.
3.The Inquisition.

The Inquisition ordered all the farmers, and workers outside of town to leave everything, get to the town and stay put there.
When the hero arives to the island the first man he meats is a guy ouside his already abandoned house and the man will tell the hero something like "What are you doing here?If the Inquisition catches you they'll trow you into the Temple..." and the most interesting part!During your adventure on the Island you might fall in the hands of the wrong people and you might get thrown into jail, if it that happens the story/quest lines will change.It's not like Oblivion where you get in jail and nothing happens.In Risen many things will change if you get caught -much story progression ahead of you

I'll have to learn to watch all the videos when I read an article :D

Ashborn
22.08.2008, 07:45
Hey, judging by your posts you all think that the Inquisition is bad. :D Then here's something from the german thread:

http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showthread.php?p=7009547&#post7009547

- Is it possible to play the game on the Inquisition side, i.e. "for evil"?
- And who said to you that the Inquisition is evil? That's the question of a viewpoint.

I don't think that in Risen everything will be so simple that you'll be able to say - "hey, this guild is evil!"

There's nothing good or bad, but thinking makes it so. (c) - W. Shakespeare :grinundwe

Feyenord
22.08.2008, 09:08
^^ I hope so, because I don't like playing for the bad side :) . One of the great things about G1/2 was that all the sides were good in a way, even if you played as an arrogant knight, or brutal mercenary, they all had a few good qualities and a few bad qualities. Whereas G3 was not as convincing. I felt really stupid playing for the Orc side, helping Lee assassinate the king or joining Xardas in his dark ways, it wasn't enjoyable at all.

Argenguy
22.08.2008, 12:13
Breaking news!
The joinable guilds:
1."The Lawless" - they're are kind of fighter guild that rebels againts the rules of the Inquisition.
3.The Inquisition.

The Inquisition ordered all the farmers, and workers outside of town to leave everything, get to the town and stay put there.
When the hero arives to the island the first man he meats is a guy ouside his already abandoned house and the man will tell the hero something like "What are you doing here?If the Inquisition catches you they'll trow you into the Temple..." and the most interesting part!During your adventure on the Island you might fall in the hands of the wrong people and you might get thrown into jail, if it that happens the story/quest lines will change.It's not like Oblivion where you get in jail and nothing happens.In Risen many things will change if you get caught -much story progression ahead of you

I'll have to learn to watch all the videos when I read an article :D

Those mages you have mentioned seem to be like the Water Mages from Gothic, a neutral guild that it's neither with or against the other 2 factions.

Powaz
22.08.2008, 12:15
The interesting fact is that the magic of the Gods has dissapeared.The question is what magic remains? §kratz Arcane?

Argenguy
22.08.2008, 12:19
The interesting fact is that the magic of the Gods has dissapeared.The question is what magic remains? §kratz Arcane?

Yes, some sort of pagan magic or magic saw as a science or art, not as heavenly boon. The Mages in Risen appears to be classical mages, not mage/priests like the Gothic Fire/Water/Dark mages.

nooneimportant
22.08.2008, 12:24
So then the mages can use magic, and I am guessing that the inquisition will be able to use some magic (like the sect camp) and the other race will be strictly warrior... That is my guess:D

Bastardo
22.08.2008, 12:27
- Is it possible to play the game on the Inquisition side, i.e. "for evil"?
- And who said to you that the Inquisition is evil? That's the question of a viewpoint.

I don't think that in Risen everything will be so simple that you'll be able to say - "hey, this guild is evil!"In G1 you could join the very Sleeper's worshippers, and they weren't so evil after all.

Argenguy
22.08.2008, 12:41
In G1 you could join the very Sleeper's worshippers, and they weren't so evil after all.

And they got evil because of Beliar's magic, but it wasn't their fault, the fools thought that The Sleeper was a divine creature.

nooneimportant
22.08.2008, 14:01
And they got evil because of Beliar's magic, but it wasn't their fault, the fools thought that The Sleeper was a divine creature.

They thought the sleeper could get them out of the barrier, right? Which in a way, he did. They invoked him, without doing so, the hero may not have been able to destroy the sleeper and subsequently the barrier. Then the worshipers of the sleeper lost their minds. I agre, they were not at all evil, just high:p

On-Topic- Just like in the previous games by PB (g1 and g2 notr to be specific)I think you will be able to identify with all factions in the game, and none will look "evil" if you chose to learn about them.

Cassandra Gotha
24.08.2008, 00:19
Breaking news!
The joinable guilds:
3.The Inquisition.
:D

Then, i know already what guild i 'll join...:grinundwe

MladjanDJ
24.08.2008, 06:20
The Inquisition, burning people - where can I sign up? $ausheck

Powaz
24.08.2008, 07:00
The Inquisition isn't evil, the lawless aren't the good guys, both factions just pursue their own goals.

If I understood right there will be small sub-guilds too.

Ashborn
24.08.2008, 10:05
The Inquisition, burning people - where can I sign up? $ausheck

As far as I know from translated Pyranhas' answers on Piranha Club, this Inquisition won't burn anyone :p

Powaz
24.08.2008, 10:14
As far as I know from translated Pyranhas' answers on Piranha Club, this Inquisition won't burn anyone :p

At the beginning. $ausheck

Argenguy
24.08.2008, 11:40

And why they don't tell this to us? Why we always have to be a second priority on this? Most of the members that post here in the english board don't speach german. Maybe Ralf will update us with the news from the GC when it ends and he comes back from his vacations.

Rashnu
24.08.2008, 14:05

That may very well be a "misinterpretation". I wouldn't bet money on this statement. ;)

Argenguy
24.08.2008, 14:37
That may very well be a "misinterpretation". I wouldn't bet money on this statement. ;)

Me either. That line: "Burn them all" could have a lot of meanings.

Ashborn
25.08.2008, 04:33
And why they don't tell this to us? Why we always have to be a second priority on this? Most of the members that post here in the english board don't speach german. Maybe Ralf will update us with the news from the GC when it ends and he comes back from his vacations.

Hey, do you tell this to me? §kratz I don't speak german, just understand a little, and english isn't my native language. I don't want to say anything bad, but look at yourself - you want someone to take care of you, but you don't want to do anything. :dnuhr: It is not Piranhas who translate those answers for us, and our questions for Piranhas, it is members of our community. Sometimes, it is me. At least you have El Kamil, who translated the tutorials and the interview with KaiRo for you. (Thanks a lot, El Kamil! :gratz) It's really hard when you have to translate something from one language to another and both are not your natives. I'm really sorry for saying those things, but all I see here is mostly complains and no action.

OK, to the point, about the Inquisition. Here's the link:
http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showthread.php?p=6935735&#post6935735

And here's the translation:

1.) Inqusition erinnert mich so an Ketzerei und Hexenverbrennung (schreinde Frau auf WoR?), ist sowas vorgesehen?

The Inquisition reminds me about heresy and witches burning, is it planned something like that?

Nee- keine Hexenverbrennung.

No - no witches burning.

See? No witches burning :D I know what you may say - that is probably only about witches. :D

Feyenord
25.08.2008, 10:58
Yep, it's not a problem that PB can solve, but English community. Sadly the game is not as well known to the latter. German and Russian communities have at least two great sites with the latest interviews, artwork, etc. :
http://www.worldofrisen.de/
http://piranhaclub.eu/

While we only have El Kamil's site: http://en.risen.cz/ (which is pretty good too :D ).
So like Ashborn said, we need more actions and less complaining :) .

Rashnu
25.08.2008, 13:42
@Feyenord: on many forums it's not considered polite (and often gets punished immediately by deleting) to post direct links to other discussion boards with similar content. It can be viewed as an attempt to lure visitors away to the other forum.

World of Players (and thus World of Risen) is very lenient when it comes to such links. For example, every user is free to display links in his signature. However, there is a line to our patience and El Kamil and some others were already testing it.

In short: please don't put any direct links to other Risen forums in your postings anymore. In future, these links may be subject to deletion without further comment.

Feyenord
25.08.2008, 14:15
Oops, sorry, I wasn't aware of this :eek: . I thought it was ok to post a few links to the other (official) fan sites.