PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : texturing with 3ds Max :(

Jammer
01.09.2007, 19:34
Hi there,

by moderators approval I'm asking for help here in the german part also, which is more populated and more experienced.

As I continue with my first small experimental map, I cannot beat one problem: texturing.

How the hell do you texture correctly, so that textures are continued, not like those UVW Map presets like Box, Face and similar?

This is what i get with Box mapping.
http://shrani.si/f/2C/HX/12HsqXJa/textureprob.jpg
I remember in GTK Radiant (map editor for Q2 engine games) the textures were applied like a "blanket", it just tiled the surface no matter how the polys were cut.

ziox
01.09.2007, 21:16
Hi dude!

Sometimes its enough to texture with Box, Face. etc, UVW Maps.
If dont, u have to use the "Unwrap UVW" Modifikator".
With it, its possible to place textures exactly.
1.)That means, if u like to Texture one side from ur cube, at First u Select the Side with Sublevel 4(Polygon).
2.)Then u change to "UVW Map" and Select the Planar Modifier.
3.)Then u choose in the "Aligement Panel" The right Axe and press Fit.
So it puts the Texture optimally to ur Polys.

For fine adjusting u do Step 1-4 and Apply before Collapsing the "UVW Map Modifier", the "Unwrap UVW Modifier"
With a click on the "Edit" Button u can Adjust your Polys exactly.

I hope i was able to help u, if there are any Questions ask

greetings

ziox

PS:sry for my bad english ;)

Jammer
02.09.2007, 19:33
Hello ziox, thanks for your reply.

With the procedure you provided I get exactly the same result.

The Unwrapping feature is a big mystery to me, I tried figuring it out but it doesn't seem something you should do for every side of every building.

Therefore, I am now trying to texture in spacer, which is going nicely and it's more interesting too, like a FPS game :)

Below is the concept of my "experimental world" with one or maybe two quests and some npc. I am using it to implement all features that a mod would have to include. Once I conquer all the neccessary skills to create a decent mod I'll be starting a real project.

http://xs219.xs.to/xs219/07350/map_progress1.jpg

ziox
02.09.2007, 20:17
Hi again!

Hm, I have a tutorial for you.
Its German, but maybe u can translate it with a online Translator.
Maybe onle the pictures help u too. :)

This One (http://wiki.worldofgothic.de/Tutorials/Texturieren+mit+3D+Studio+Max)
This Tutorial helps me a lot to understand the Texturing/Unwrapping in 3dsmax

greetings
ziox

Jammer
05.09.2007, 14:17
Ok i have read it with the babelfish translator.

But why do you need multisub object for texturing? Doesn't really work as he said it would be in the tutorial, my models get texture only on the upper faces.

What is this materialcreator tool? I make a XML and import it but nothing shows up on the model. This is really confusing.

No matter what the problems are I am still determined to continue :)

Jammer
05.09.2007, 21:41
It's ok i figured almost everything out :)