PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : ELEX: the new game by Piranha Bytes!

Maladiq
02.07.2015, 14:30
Discuss!

Jenny PB
02.07.2015, 14:35
Thanks! And here it is!
http://www.elexgame.com/

Ravenhearth
02.07.2015, 14:37
Maybe we should merge this thread and the 0011111-Thread, under this titel.

warstrike
02.07.2015, 14:41
I don't know why ,but this gives me a Gothic1-vibe. Or maybe i am full of hype and joy.

By the way ,i can't believe that PB is already on their 3rd title...wow :D

Michael Rüve
02.07.2015, 14:58
By the way ,i can't believe that PB is already on their 3rd title...wow :D
Actually it's our 8th - it's just the 3rd IP.

warstrike
02.07.2015, 15:00
Actually it's our 8th - it's just the 3rd IP.

Sorry,that's what i meant. §wink

catalinux
02.07.2015, 15:13
I wish you all the best with this new IP!

I like the concept. I like it. I like it.

Forward
02.07.2015, 15:13
Interesting... I hope there will be no guns, lasers and such things because it did not seem to work with risen 2 and 3 in my opinion.

rotator
02.07.2015, 15:15
...it is great to know, that we will have ample creative freedom with ELEX...

Might it suggest PB did not have that with Risen 2 and 3?

Hopefully it won't repeat the story of G3 with JoWood. They had total freedom, too, but shot too high.

I hope NG has some clever marketing guys and more allocated budget.

Dez
02.07.2015, 15:20
Freaking awesome. Just arrived from work..its so bloody hot here now. Then i opened a cold beer and checked out wor..did not expect news before friday :)

I can't wait to see and play ELEX. This new setting sounds fantastic! I love the concept art. Go crazy and make us a game you always dreamed of :)

By the way, what does ELEX mean? :)

gerula
02.07.2015, 15:24
Let me dream for a sec folks ... It could be something real huge ... I love the picture ...a dark and mysterious world ... Pyranha, probably it's your last chance to bring your old fans back ... Something tells me that ELEX picked up the Witcher's glove .
So, let be it ELEX !!!

catalinux
02.07.2015, 15:31
Where should we ask for an ELEX sub-forum on WorldofPlayers? (I already registered on community dot elexgame dot com but it doesn't have the same PB feeling)

Dez
02.07.2015, 15:33
Yeah are we supposed to continue discussion here, or are we going to see World of Elex (WoE) soon :)

Andante
02.07.2015, 15:35
Swords in a post apocalyptic setting?....hmm let's see how this turns out! I wish PB good luck on their new project

SlamDunk
02.07.2015, 16:08
Sounds interesting.

I'm relieved to know that ELEX is not an RPG about a lawyer's sacred quest set in a fantasy world :p

rotator
02.07.2015, 16:10
Yeah are we supposed to continue discussion here, or are we going to see World of Elex (WoE) soon :)

More importantly where will devs post in the future? Here or on the official Elex forums?

Lazor
02.07.2015, 16:11
Sweeeet! I hope I can afford a PC by the time this comes out (in euros) :D

SlamDunk
02.07.2015, 16:14
Has this been posted?

http://www.nordicgames.at/index.php/article/nordic_games_piranha_bytes_elex

Nordic Games + Piranha Bytes = ELEX

July 2, 2015

The creators of Gothic turn over a new leaf together with Nordic Games and tackle their first new, collaborative project: ELEX

Nordic Games teams up with veteran studio Piranha Bytes to work on their first collaborative and new project: ELEX. This eclectic, lavish, exhilarating, xenial open-world RPG is scheduled to release in Winter 2016/2017 on PC and current gen console platforms. This is by far the most ambitious project for Piranha Bytes and Nordic Games to date.

“To say we are excited to see this new project unfold in the hands of Piranha Bytes is an understatement. ELEX is going to be edgy, dark, uncompromising, complex, and we love it already,“ comments Reinhard Pollice Business & Product Development Director at Nordic Games. “We will be premiering a vertical slice build at Gamescom 2015, more info will be released in due time.”

“Apart from being enthusiastic about the cooperation with Nordic Games, it is great to know, that we will have ample creative freedom with ELEX, which is a very important factor for us” said Björn Pankratz, Game Director at Piranha Bytes. "We can't wait to show you a completely new game experience with a fresh setting, new assets and plenty of possibilities."

About ELEX

ELEX is a handcrafted action role-playing experience from the award-winning creators of the Gothic series, set in a brand new post-apocalyptic science fantasy universe that puts players into a huge, seamless game world full of original characters, mutated creatures, deep moral choices and powerful action.

catalinux
02.07.2015, 16:22
"vertical slice build (http://grumpygamer.com/vertical_slice)"?

Morgannin09
02.07.2015, 16:38
"vertical slice build (http://grumpygamer.com/vertical_slice)"?

Basically a narrow but fully functional piece of the game, like the RIsen 3 demo they had at the Role Play Con last year.

catalinux
02.07.2015, 16:39
"Die Domain [...] wurde von einem Checkdomain-Kunden registriert und befindet sich derzeit im Aufbau."

"The domain [...] was from a Check domain registered customer and is currently under construction."

I hope the Kunden is Piranha Bytes ;)

Maladiq
02.07.2015, 17:03
I hope NG has some clever marketing guys and more allocated budget.
I can already say they do.

Where should we ask for an ELEX sub-forum on WorldofPlayers? (I already registered on community dot elexgame dot com but it doesn't have the same PB feeling)

We are working on it. It will happen soon.

catalinux
02.07.2015, 17:10
We are working on it. It will happen soon.

Thank you, sir!

rotator
02.07.2015, 17:23
I can already say they do.

Time will tell. At the beginning it was all rosy with Deep Silver, too, but it lasted for 1 game.

I haven't heard anything bad about Nordic Games yet, so I'm optimistic. :)

catalinux
02.07.2015, 17:39
ELEX on reddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/elex/).

One artwork and a few well chosen words for the first day isn't bad.

p.s. Any idea why Risen wasn't mentioned? just Gothic ("ELEX is a handcrafted action role-playing experience from the award-winning creators of the Gothic series").

rotator
02.07.2015, 17:45
p.s. Any idea why Risen wasn't mentioned? just Gothic ("ELEX is a handcrafted action role-playing experience from the award-winning creators of the Gothic series").

Probably because only Gothic is published by Nordic Games.

The Ore Baron
02.07.2015, 19:39
I hate the name :rolleyes:

Pretty excite apart from that! Congratulations on a new IP, Piranha Bytes.

catalinux
02.07.2015, 20:04
I hate the name :rolleyes:

But you will love this "ELEX grupo de hip hop de mocambique" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG6lALF74kI) :rolleyes:

If you watch the clip, at 00:09 you can clearly see from where they got inspired for the game logo :grinundwe

Maladiq
02.07.2015, 20:47
Anyone here knows how to make website themes and vbulletin themes, and has some experience as a webmaster?

catalinux
02.07.2015, 20:58
Anyone here knows how to make website themes and vbulletin themes, and has some experience as a webmaster?

Sorry, I only learnt for my personal usage how to build a minamalistic websites containing static pages, and how to mirror a local folder to a ftp using lftp.

Do you have a template to start from? Or you need someting written from zero?

Maladiq
02.07.2015, 21:02
Sorry, I only learnt for my personal usage how to build a minamalistic websites containing static pages, and how to mirror a local folder to a ftp using lftp.

Do you have a template to start from? Or you need someting written from zero?

What is needed is to install a website (the CMS is already made) and to make a theme for it and a vbulletin forum.

Bastardo
02.07.2015, 22:24
Post-apoc fantasy, uh? Cool. I'll play that.

What do you guys think, is there hope for at least Risen 1 -level coolness?

catalinux
03.07.2015, 01:48
What do you guys think, is there hope for at least Risen 1 -level coolness?

I hope for more. We already know that ELEX (it's hard to get used to this name) will take place on a landmass (a continent), it only depends on the setting needs. For example, if there will be flying machines, I can imagine some flat areas, and some higher areas accesible only by flying. If there will be different climates, the terrain should also change. Will the human settlements have different functions? If yes, we might see an impact on the terrain. Will there be large unpopulated areas? And so on.
This Science Fantasy setting is so generous. Can't wait to see with what elements they will go with.

mkreku
03.07.2015, 21:17
I love the choice of setting! I had given up on Piranha Bytes after Risen 3 (not at all my type of game), but I hope this new IP will renew their inspiration.

There's some part of me that just can't stop hoping they will recapture the magic they conjured in the first Gothic titles. Maybe they never will, but I'm still hoping.

I hope they will go back to a true open world. I hope this world will feel as free as the first Gothic did (where I could climb anything and everything I wanted, swim in every liquid and dive to my heart's content). I also hope that it will be low-tech, as in no lasers and power armours (ahem). Let me start with a plank. Let me drive a nail through it to upgrade it. Let me find an old aluminum bat. Let me build my own crossbow when I've gotten more skilled. Let me use technology instead of magic! I don't want a spell that lets me breathe under water. Instead, let me build a make-shift scuba diving gear from items I find in the rubble.

Anyhow, I hope this game at least resembles something I would love to play. Bethesda and CD Project Red are doing well so I'm not starved anymore, but I miss that Gothic vibe.

Delicieuxz
04.07.2015, 13:21
The game sounds enticing.

Will PB members be posting on the official forums at http://community.elexgame.com/forum.php ?

AshleyG
04.07.2015, 20:25
Hehe I guess I'm finally done with Worldofrisen.
Oh looks like the username Shaco is free ^^
New site => lots of cool usernames not used.

Morgannin09
04.07.2015, 20:31
It would be a shame to see this site vanish. I ended up biting the bullet and joining World of Gothic literally days before the English side got shut down, and migrated over here, and I'm glad I did. I've never been active on forums for one reason or another, but it's been very pleasant to take part in all the discussion here. I'm already settling into the Elex forums, but I like the idea of a fan-operated forum rather than one run by the publisher or developer, which tend to fall into neglect very quickly.

Ravenhearth
04.07.2015, 20:33
And because of those reasons there will be a WoP forum for Elex.

catalinux
04.07.2015, 21:17
It would be a shame to see this site vanish.

The Gothic section is active mainly because of the modkit - constantly, people are releasing mods, or are asking about modding.
If you ask me, this Risen section (both English/German forums) will be closed/archived pretty soon. Without a Risen 4 game, I don't see any activity here soon.

I'm already settling into the Elex forums, but I like the idea of a fan-operated forum rather than one run by the publisher or developer, which tend to fall into neglect very quickly.

Exactly.
I don't like that publisher-operated forum. I don't feel as free to ask questions or to make a comment... Maybe it's just me, I don't know, I tried, and I tried, but without foobar as moderator :d that place sucks. And the forum theme gaves me headaches.

Maladiq
04.07.2015, 21:41
I agree. Also, yes, there will be an ELEX forum here soon enough, together with a website. But it will take a bit, there are a lot of technical elements to be taken care of.

It would have been nice if NG let us know with some weeks in advance what they were planning. :\

rotator
06.07.2015, 09:03
http://i.imgur.com/fxko8Dn.png

Is this guy a troll or he's just seriously misinformed? 30 FPS and Arcania???

Edit: looks like it's fake (or the post was removed, can't find it)

orc_dog
06.07.2015, 09:47
It must be (bad) joke :mad:

warstrike
06.07.2015, 09:49
No,he is working for Nordic Games.
I haven't played Arcania ,but i heard that graphic-wise ,it looks and runs good.I am happy that their main focus is PC ,don't really care about FPS.
Let's just wait for more info ,and who knows ,we might like the news.

Relax ,PB will not do another Arcania ,come on... :)

Morgannin09
06.07.2015, 11:11
He's one of the executives of Nordic, I believe. I highly doubt he's so blissfully unaware of the fiasco that came with Ubisoft saying almost the exact same words, so he's gotta be pulling our leg. If not, then I'm giving up on this game already.
Besides, I don't think it's his call to make, since Piranha Bytes is making the game.

warstrike
06.07.2015, 13:47
No need for negativism until we get more info.Let's show a little faith.
Just one more month and we'll learn more about it.Also ,if i recall correctly ,Gothic 1 was meant to be for consoles ,and we all know how good Gothic 1 turned out to be. So there's still hope yet.

IvanDado
06.07.2015, 14:12
30 FPS?On PC?In 2017?YOU GOTTA BE FUCKING KIDDING ME!!!

Ravenhearth
06.07.2015, 14:20
It should be clear that you can't target 30fps on PC, because there isn't THAT PC. Some will be fast enough for 60 fps, other only for 6.

Delicieuxz
06.07.2015, 15:00
I think that people are misunderstanding what was being expressed by the Nordic Games person. When they said to think of Arcania with meaningful dialog, they were effectively saying high detail visual aesthetics - which Arcania had.

And when they said that they were targeting 30 fps on pc, they probably meant that's what the game could run at on decent hardware, due to having a high level of graphical fidelity - and not because of having a fps lock, like some console games do.

If the development targeted a higher fps on pc, it would that mean they were intending to have less graphical intensity. So it is a good thing that they are aiming for a lower fps as standard performance - because then we get better graphics. It doesn't mean there will be a fps cap, and your PC hardware will still determine how many fps you can play the game at.

Developers work with a polygon budget and target performance in mind - even though they don't commonly say what it is. Nordic Games just told us what it is, for the purpose of assuring players that the game will look good.

rivariad
06.07.2015, 15:32
I'm sure PB knows how the latest rpgs set the bar too high. But none of that matters anyway. I know for goddamn sure its gonna feel unique unlike any projects out there. Just for foks sake hire some proper voice actors.

catalinux
06.07.2015, 16:50
ElMegalomator is a story writer, if I am not wrong.

If they are targeting 30 fps on pc they also must be targeting that nonsese of 1080hd or whatever video frames (?) on consoles.

From what I've read in the nordic forum, my feeling is that elex is primary targeting the consoles. And this will have a deep impact in terms of menu, inventory, interaction, controls, fight system, etc., etc.. Be ready to be amazed, my friends.

The Ore Baron
06.07.2015, 17:19
The message was removed, right? I mean, the fact that it was removed seems more suspicious to me than the content of the message itself.

Did anyone raise any eyebrows at the publisher forums? Was there an official response or something?

Morgannin09
06.07.2015, 18:59
Reinhard pollice is a "business and product development director" at Nordic.

Maladiq
06.07.2015, 20:07
No need for negativism until we get more info.Let's show a little faith.
Just one more month and we'll learn more about it.

Ditto!

Also ,if i recall correctly ,Gothic 1 was meant to be for consoles ,and we all know how good Gothic 1 turned out to be. So there's still hope yet.
There was this rumour, yes, but iirc Michael Rueve said it was not true.

The Ore Baron
06.07.2015, 20:31
I don't know, I think a little negativity can be healthy. I mean, things concerning the new game are at this point still very murky and a lot of questions still haven't been answered. It's only smart to be a little careful with the hype... or giving PB the benefit of a doubt.

I say we stay vigilant and keep PB on edge, none of this "show a little good faith" crap. We've shown them plenty with Risen 2 and Risen 3. While we're silently waiting for more information, critical decisions are being made - decisions than will later be irreversible, when it will be too late to complain.

I would've been more calm if Risen 4 was announced. PB knew their mistakes in previous entries well, we knew what sort of ideas to suggest and what potential issues to point out. All that would've had to be done was improving on an old formula. Now this ELEX game is completely new grounds. New setting, new goals and standards AND a new publisher, that was kind enough to permit a representative post a rather discouraging message which then disappeared, apparently. Fans don't know what to expect and keep shooting ideas in the dark, with no reference on whether or not they would even fit the new game. Even the advertising aspect of the new project doesn't seem to well-handled. We got a dry announcement, a lousy piece of concept art and a promise to tell us more in a month.

I'm not liking this so far, and I'm remaining skeptical. So far I haven't seen anything that would reassure me about the new project being... well, good.

Just my two cents.

catalinux
06.07.2015, 20:53
This time, I am willing to wait for the final release. Sure, maybe I will ask a question or two from time to time (like I did yesterday about the coup-de-grace), but I am curious to see what kind of game will PB/Nordic deliver without any influence, what is their vision.

about Gothic and consoles - wasn't that thing about mouse suport? They added the mouse support like one month before the release because some [lazy] guy from a game magazine who was reviewing the game complained about the lack of mouse support.

Ravenhearth
06.07.2015, 21:07
Jenny just said at the german forum, that they are planning something like Gothic 3 in terms of world structure (huge open world). They have four main locations, and the hero might not even me human, but some sort of humanoid. And he will have a name!

Misanthrope
06.07.2015, 21:38
...but some sort of humanoid...
A Witcher? :confused:

Bamfy
06.07.2015, 21:45
A Witcher? :confused:

I really doubt that. Maybe after so many lizard men we encountered in their games, we might actually play as one.:D

Maladiq
06.07.2015, 22:09
I can tell you the hero will be a mutant with bionic implants. I guess so anyway, it would only be logical.

catalinux
06.07.2015, 22:11
and the hero might not even be human, but some sort of humanoid

Whaaaaaat?

...I don't like this. It (sorry I can't call it "him") might have special abilities or whatever, but I am not willing to play as a humanoid. Neither alien, elf, dwarf, werewolf, or any sort of creature.

And four main locations as in probably four main factions?

Maladiq
06.07.2015, 22:14
Whaaaaaat?

...I don't like this. It (sorry I can't call it "him") might have special abilities or whatever, but I am not willing to play as a humanoid. Neither alien, elf, dwarf, werewolf, or any sort of creature.

Ask them to make the main hero a gay fish ;)

Bastardo
06.07.2015, 22:34
Whaaaaaat?

...I don't like this. It (sorry I can't call it "him") might have special abilities or whatever, but I am not willing to play as a humanoid. Neither alien, elf, dwarf, werewolf, or any sort of creature.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wfJxBrn1cU

The Ore Baron
06.07.2015, 22:45
Ask them to make the main hero a gay fish ;)
Don't even joke about it, man. This is a Swedish publisher we're talking about :scared:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wfJxBrn1cU
Just because you don't, doesn't mean other people can't ;)

catalinux
06.07.2015, 22:50
OK, OK, let it be whatever they want it to be.

I just read on the nordic forum that they are working on thieving skills (pickpocketing, looting).

Maladiq
07.07.2015, 00:07
OK, OK, let it be whatever they want it to be.

I just read on the nordic forum that they are working on thieving skills (pickpocketing, looting).
I am really starting to get annoyed here. I understand that they kept the secrecy and so on, and I understand they might want to keep a little distance between them and the Risen forums until we manage to build the new ones, but to me it smells like a publisher policy that they concentrate on those forums and spend less time here :(

Morgannin09
07.07.2015, 00:13
Well do bear in mind this is the Risen forum, and we're talking about the official Elex forum, run by the publisher. Piranha bytes probably spends more time there because it will end up with a larger relevant user pool than a forum for a completely different game. If a fan -run Elex forum gets going, I suspect they'll make a presence there as well.

Misanthrope
07.07.2015, 01:23
Official publisher forums are lifeless and boring. Risen also has official forum. I'm sure they'll remain active on WoE once it's set up. They even thanked WoR community in Risen 3 credits.
UPDATE: Harry posted that Jenny is on vacation, so I guess we won't be getting info from her for a week or two anyway.

Morgannin09
07.07.2015, 02:41
Which is why I have faith in our forum, so I'll be checking it every minute once it's live

Maladiq
07.07.2015, 10:27
I am really starting to get annoyed here. I understand that they kept the secrecy and so on, and I understand they might want to keep a little distance between them and the Risen forums until we manage to build the new ones, but to me it smells like a publisher policy that they concentrate on those forums and spend less time here :(

Oh man, did I actually post that last night? Geez, I should get more sleep once in a while, I tend to get needy.

Michael Rüve
07.07.2015, 11:15
Don't even joke about it, man. This is a Swedish publisher we're talking about :scared:

So Sweden is full of gay fish? I've never been to Sweden, so maybe its true, but sure sounds strange to me. How do they (the fish) procreate then? But if so, it probably comes from a lack of beer - which as everyone knows is horrendously expensive up there.

catalinux
07.07.2015, 12:52
I love Swedish movies. And my favourite tv series is Bron/Broen.

If something of the Swedish soul will make it's way into elex, than it can only be something good.

rotator
07.07.2015, 13:36
If something of the Swedish soul will make it's way into elex, than it can only be something good.

Hopefully only the swedish money will make it's way into ELEX. Otherwise that would mean creative intervention by the publisher.

catalinux
07.07.2015, 13:53
But they said that they have "large" creative... so maybe there is some intervention from nordic.

SlamDunk
07.07.2015, 22:36
http://i.imgur.com/fxko8Dn.png
That must have been a coffeine-induced joke post. There's no other plausible enough explanation for that sort of retardness.

catalinux
07.07.2015, 22:52
Wasn't Gothic 1 limited to 30 fps back in 2001? If you want cinematic fidelity, than yes, why not?

... Or maybe we should check how much natural light gets a Swedish guy this time of year.

(just kidding, Sweden is a nice place to live in)

Bastardo
07.07.2015, 23:27
Wasn't Gothic 1 limited to 30 fps back in 2001?Even less than that.

If that Nordic Games chap wasn't off his meds, and the next PB game is going to be of the "cinematic" sort, oh jeez, good luck to them? I'm presuming they're not aiming to become The Room of videogames. But if Risen 2 and 3 are any indication...

Ravenhearth
07.07.2015, 23:49
Gothic 1 wasn't really limited to any framerate. It ran just slow.

Morgannin09
08.07.2015, 03:47
Gothic 1 wasn't really limited to any framerate. It ran just slow.

Not true, it actually capped at 24 or so. There's a fan-made patch that unlocks it, and will run over 60fps in some circumstances.

Ravenhearth
08.07.2015, 12:29
I'm able to run at 60fps without any fan patch.

SlamDunk
08.07.2015, 13:16
If you want cinematic fidelity...
... you are going to go with 23.976fps, which is still the most commonly used frame rate. Both mind-blowing and depressing, isn't it?

catalinux
08.07.2015, 13:41
... you are going to go with 23.976fps, which is still the most commonly used frame rate. Both mind-blowing and depressing, isn't it?

Some material here (http://www.overclock.net/a/the-truth-about-fps).

24 FPS comes from 1926 silent film era, even though Thomas Edison recommended 48 FPS through science. 24 FPS was just cheaper.
30 FPS in TV comes from a 1941 TV broadcast NTSC standard mandated by the FCC. 30 FPS in gaming comes from the advent use of designing a gaming experience at 60 FPS but hardware wasn’t up to snuff, so 30 FPS was the fall back.
60 FPS comes from matching to refresh rates on LCDs (60Hz) in the early 2000s. The best gaming experience is when the frame rate matches the refresh rate. LCDs were new but extremely popular. The LCDs have refresh rates of 60 Hz to match US alternating current (AC.)
The true 1080P certification is literally 1920x1080@60p.
Motion image accuracy is tied directly to the frame rate.
Motion prediction is directly tied with the fluidity or the seamless transition between frames.
Many gamers would be satisfied having the option to choose the frame rate (if the hardware was even capable of rendering at higher FPS).

Bastardo
08.07.2015, 14:00
I'm able to run at 60fps without any fan patch.I promise you that Gothic has locked framerate. If you can play it faster than ~24 fps, some sort of fix must be in place wether you know it or not, such as a digital version that comes with prepackaged fixes, a third party launcher, whatever. Otherwise you are thinking about Gothic II.

rotator
08.07.2015, 19:19
Gothic 1 is definitely capped. Playing it on ~60 FPS renders a certain puzzle impossible to solve, you have to turn off the fix temporarily. :D

catalinux
08.07.2015, 19:52
Gothic 1 is definitely capped. Playing it on ~60 FPS renders a certain puzzle impossible to solve, you have to turn off the fix temporarily. :D

I heard about this, in the Sleeper Temple, with the FPSpatch.

Morgannin09
08.07.2015, 20:38

Which puzzle was that? I don't recall being unable to complete a puzzle.

rotator
08.07.2015, 22:11

http://www.gog.com/forum/gothic_series/gothic_1_switches_in_temple_of_the_sleeper_not_working

catalinux
08.07.2015, 22:13

Maybe this one (https://www.gog.com/forum/gothic_series/gothic_1_forgotten_switches_in_sleepers_temple)?

Maladiq
08.07.2015, 23:02
If their console version is going to cap @ 30fps, they are going to bomb those sales big time. Most likely with PC too. I might not want more than 24 fps, but that's me. A lot of sales are towards people who don't even intend to finish the game. They just want to fire that baby up and kill everything in crystal clear glorious 1080p 60fps for an hour while they wait for the pizza.

Also, the guys who played Skyrim and TW3 will be likely to hate the game, just because of this. Sure, you might say they are shallow, but I dare any single one of you to use a CRT monitor for two hours after years of LCD. I gurantee you will throw that flickering shit out the window.

Delicieuxz
08.07.2015, 23:33
Lots of console games are capped at 30 fps. I think Witcher 3 is, too. It's pretty normal coz consoles use such limited power tech.

I don't think the Nordic Games staffer was saying the pc will be limited to 30fps, but that they're targeting 30fps performance on average machines -which is good, and means quality visuals, which a person can turn down if they don't need great graphics and want higher fps.

Michael Rüve
09.07.2015, 00:24
If their console version is going to cap @ 30fps, they are going to bomb those sales big time.

Also, the guys who played Skyrim and TW3 will be likely to hate the game, just because of this.
How so?

There is no Skyrim on PS4 or XOne, so that comparison is moot.

As for witcher:

Lots of console games are capped at 30 fps. I think Witcher 3 is, too. It's pretty normal coz consoles use such limited power tech.
Correct.
On PS4 1080p @ 30
On XOne 900p @ 30

http://gamingbolt.com/cd-projekt-explains-why-the-witcher-3-is-not-60fps-on-the-ps4-and-xbox-one
or if you prefer a non gaming site
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2015/05/06/heres-the-first-1080p-ps4-footage-of-the-witcher-3/

I don't think the Nordic Games staffer was saying the pc will be limited to 30fps,
Of course not. That would be utter nonsense.

Maladiq
09.07.2015, 01:24
Well, I really do hope you are right and the maiinstream customers are not that shallow. :gratz So when will we get more info? Screens? Art? :D

catalinux
09.07.2015, 09:09
So when will we get more info? Screens? Art? :D

In August, at Gamescom, Cologne (Köln)

TheDoctor
09.07.2015, 13:41
"Don't fuck this up."

- Me (prior to the release of Gothic III)

Bastardo
09.07.2015, 19:54
"Don't fuck this up."

"They couldn't possibly fuck this up."

- Me (in the same circumstance)

SlamDunk
09.07.2015, 19:58
I dare any single one of you to use a CRT monitor for two hours after years of LCD. I gurantee you will throw that flickering shit out the window.
This is far too off-topic but: I'd still use the Samsung CRT monitor I used to have if it wouldn't have died. At 85Hz (1600x1200) there were no flickering. Playing games on that monitor destroys this 60Hz true IPS I now have in color reproduction, black levels and mouse lag with V-sync enabled. That good old CRT also did not have any ghosting, which is very strong on this Fujitsu LCD. Of course there are IPS monitors now that would beat that CRT in everything but black levels but I can't afford them. Being the image quality freak that I am, I won't touch TN panels even with a 10-foot pole.

rotator
09.07.2015, 20:44
"They couldn't possibly fuck this up."

- Me (in the same circumstance)

For some reason I've never imagined Gothic III could go wrong. I thought it would be another Gothic but with a new graphics engine. Guess I did not check any info but the screenshots (which blew my mind).

Bastardo
09.07.2015, 23:09
For some reason I've never imagined Gothic III could go wrong. I thought it would be another Gothic but with a new graphics engine. Guess I did not check any info but the screenshots (which blew my mind).The preview screenshoots and pre-release information made Gothic 3 look like the most badass thing that will ever happen to PC gaming. That's probably one more reason we didn't exactly go crazy when we played the, aherm, "finished" product.

TheDoctor
10.07.2015, 13:07
My biggest worry is that PB will continue to develop using the Risen game system/engine. Which is most probably the case because we've already learned time and time again that they don't want to spend money to buy a completely new (working) engine.

In other words: if you liked Risen you'll like Elex. If you didn't like Risen, you won't like Elex. Just my prognosis because this is usually the case when developers start new franchises.

Delicieuxz
10.07.2015, 16:00
In that case, if a person liked Gothic, then they should like Risen, and if they do, then they subsequently should like ELEX.

"Don't fuck this up."

And who do those kinds of comments assist? Admonishing, worrying, cynicism... those kinds of contributions do nothing positive to a game's development, and only mean that what you contributed to it was a lack of support.

Maladiq
10.07.2015, 18:01
In other words: if you liked Risen you'll like Elex.
I LOVED Risen. Plus, they updated the engine to DX11.

The Ore Baron
10.07.2015, 18:47
Admonishing, worrying, cynicism... those kinds of contributions do nothing positive to a game's development, and only mean that what you contributed to it was a lack of support.
They remind the developers they should try harder to make a good game. I say that's a positive thing. It's only too easy to stop trying if everyone is prancing around you, singing praises :rolleyes: Sure, it may not me nice to hear, but being aware of the issues the fans had a problem with should be in the interest of the developer. I'm afraid that without some admonishing, worrying and cynicism PB would again step on the same rake they already did twice.

Plus, they updated the engine to DX11.
Indeed, lack of tassellation was exactly what made Risen 3 terrible :D
Call me when they update their writing team with someone who doesn't take inspiration from Saturday morning cartoons :o

catalinux
10.07.2015, 19:04
In other words: if you liked Risen you'll like Elex. If you didn't like Risen, you won't like Elex.

The graphics, or what?

Because most of everything else I suppose will be different - the menu, the combat, the camera system, and so on.

Maladiq
12.07.2015, 15:26
So what do you guys think about the different groups with different views PB promised?

Maladiq
12.07.2015, 15:28
We have a brand new forum! For now, a joint forum with the Germans until we get the themes and website going!

http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/forums/872-WorldofElex

catalinux
12.07.2015, 17:21
It should be something good. And maybe will add some replay value.

Anyway... I liked a lot the latest infos we got from Harry. Especially when asked about interaction with chests, crafting table, and so on.

p.s. Good to see this new forum!

Maladiq
12.07.2015, 18:21
It should be something good. And maybe will add some replay value.

Anyway... I liked a lot the latest infos we got from Harry. Especially when asked about interaction with chests, crafting table, and so on.

p.s. Good to see this new forum!

The theme should be ready sometime next week I think, depends on the schedule of our great designer and our great technician. Praise them! The English/German zone will come after the website is done as well. By Gamescom everything will run smoothly, at the latest.

Hmm, I wonder a lot about how the different factions will be portrayed.

ICFabian
12.07.2015, 19:56
The theme should be ready sometime next week I think, depends on the schedule of our great designer and our great technician.

For the forum, you mean? The site might take a little while longer.

Maladiq
12.07.2015, 20:13
For the forum, you mean? The site might take a little while longer.

Yep, for the forum. :D

[>Silverback<]
12.07.2015, 21:05
Thanks to all people who are involved to make this brand new forum happen.
:gratz

Bakka85
12.07.2015, 22:18
The theme should be ready sometime next week I think, depends on the schedule of our great designer and our great technician. Praise them! The English/German zone will come after the website is done as well. By Gamescom everything will run smoothly, at the latest.

Hmm, I wonder a lot about how the different factions will be portrayed.

I like the idea that all fans are close together. Maybe we should allow such a mix. I dont know for the russian forum, but the english speaking population is quite small. This way we could communicate all together. True, i could just click on the subforum but the majority wont. This way we could see which topics are current.

Maladiq
12.07.2015, 22:23
I like the idea that all fans are close together. Maybe we should allow such a mix. I dont know for the russian forum, but the english speaking population is quite small. This way we could communicate all together. True, i could just click on the subforum but the majority wont. This way we could see which topics are current.

I don't think it is such a good idea. It would easily scare off new visitors and make hard to find the English threads when they are buried by the larger German community. Plus, it would be even harder to use the search function.

I like the idea of a united community. A lot actually, but doing it in a multi-lingual environment is not the best practice. And since Ravenheart and I get along so well and we make a great team, I think we'll get some cool ideas to help interaction between the German and English side :gratz

Ravenhearth
12.07.2015, 23:17
By the way, the forum screenshot (http://i.imgur.com/fxko8Dn.png) with the arcania comparison and 30fps thing is a fake. Here are the original german posts: http://community.elexgame.com/threads/93-Gamescom-2015-Wer-geht-hin?p=1021#post1021 :cool:

Bamfy
13.07.2015, 02:16
Well, the risen serie was mediocre and never managed to get the community gothic had. Most people that post in the english section come from wog-en and are dedicated fans to PB.

As thedoctor pointed out, they'd better not fuck it up or newcomers won't come and it might even push away old fans.

And big thanks to the people that make WoE happen!:gratz

Morgannin09
13.07.2015, 12:04
By the way, the forum screenshot (http://i.imgur.com/fxko8Dn.png) with the arcania comparison and 30fps thing is a fake. Here are the original german posts: http://community.elexgame.com/threads/93-Gamescom-2015-Wer-geht-hin?p=1021#post1021 :cool:
Interesting. Why on earth would someone take the effort to fake that? I mean sure, it got us riled up for a minute, but it wasn't that big of a troll.

aaa82
15.07.2015, 19:22
Elex, who is f... Elex )

good news new game is coming

i must add that battle system of G and R could be improved with stealth killing... or killing from behind like in "assassin's creed 2" (maybe do half of life damage from the back)... something like that - some interesting perks in combat will be great

i was playing g2 and these thoughts was the only thoughts about what i would like to add in g2

catalinux
15.07.2015, 21:50
battle system of G and R could be improved with stealth killing... or killing from behind

Like in Far Cry 3 and 4, also rewarding more XP.

http://i.minus.com/iPnrfk0tRI7Ba.gif

rockfest
20.07.2015, 15:28
Great news. Looking forward for more news and some art. §klatsch

Cheers to everyone from WoR/WoG as well :) §prost

rotator
06.08.2015, 07:28
Sooo any news about WorldofElex.com, subforums per language and a new forum theme? This WorldofPlayers green theme is plain horrible, escpecially after the marvelous Risen forum.

Ravenhearth
06.08.2015, 07:49
It's being worked on, but takes more time than we had hoped.

catalinux
07.08.2015, 11:58
FInally, something in English! First Look at Elex - The Science Fantasy RPG from The Creators of Gothic (http://www.gamepressure.com/e.asp?ID=222)

[>Silverback<]
07.08.2015, 19:36
FInally, something in English! First Look at Elex - The Science Fantasy RPG from The Creators of Gothic (http://www.gamepressure.com/e.asp?ID=222)

Thank you!
It sounds great. §ice

Ravenhearth
08.08.2015, 09:39
The WoP interviewed Jenny about Elex. English subtitles are available. Have fun :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuBjK7Kf9F4

SlamDunk
08.08.2015, 10:20
The WoP interviewed Jenny about Elex.
Good stuff, thanks. Lots of new info, in there. I didn't know about the comet strike, for instance. I got the overall impression that ELEX is a typical PB game just with an unusual setting, this time. So, after all, PB don't seem to be "sailing in whole new waters with ELEX", as I said elsewhere.

Anyways... as the comet is the source of elex it must mean that the stuff will some day deplete, right? Unless that element has been reverse-engineered allowing people to manufacture it.

catalinux
08.08.2015, 11:04
Anyways... as the comet is the source of Elex it must mean that the stuff will some day deplete, right?

It is safe to assume that the comet was way smaller than the one that wiped out the dinosaurs, so they must be running pretty soon out of elex...

Great interview, btw.

Ravenhearth
08.08.2015, 11:06
It clearly depends on what happened to the comet. If it was a huge comet that broke in smaller pieces before the impact, then there should be enough Elex. Or does it grow?

catalinux
08.08.2015, 11:25
If it was a huge comet that broke in smaller pieces before the impact, then there should be enough Elex.

And this explains why the entire population wasn't exterminated.

Ravenhearth
08.08.2015, 11:33
And why it seems to be spread over the planet.

Soloist
08.08.2015, 18:23
It is safe to assume that the comet was way smaller than the one that wiped out the dinosaurs, so they must be running pretty soon out of elex...

In addition to what was already said by previous posters also remember that Elex is being used as a commodity and currency so it is not just being consumed but also traded and "recycled". Also, I'm not sure if comparisons to Earth and the comet impact that led to the dinosaur extinction make much sense because we do not know what kind of planet the world of Magalan (= Elex game world) is on. What size is it? What mass? What shape? What is the distribution of land and water? How are the continents arranged or is there just a single large continent? You know, all of this could be very different from planet Earth and thus the consequences of an impact, including the distribution of a substance like Elex that is enclosed within the comet, could be very different as well.
Finally, if Elex in its pure form (as originally enclosed inside the comet) is a light substance (like dust) then it would have been set free into the atmosphere of the planet after the impact. It would then be spread all over the world by high winds, weather, rain, oceanic currents etc. etc. - The game is set a few hundred years after the impact so Elex would have had quite a bit of time to spread around.

catalinux
08.08.2015, 19:08
In addition to what was already said by previous posters also remember that Elex is being used as a commodity and currency so it is not just being consumed but also traded and "recycled". Also, I'm not sure if comparisons to Earth and the comet impact that led to the dinosaur extinction make much sense because we do not know what kind of planet the world of Magalan (= Elex game world) is on. What size is it? What mass? What shape? What is the distribution of land and water? How are the continents arranged or is there just a single large continent? You know, all of this could be very different from planet Earth and thus the consequences of an impact, including the distribution of a substance like Elex that is enclosed within the comet, could be very different as well.
Finally, if Elex in its pure form (as originally enclosed inside the comet) is a light substance (like dust) then it would have been set free into the atmosphere of the planet after the impact. It would then be spread all over the world by high winds, weather, rain, oceanic currents etc. etc. - The game is set a few hundred years after the impact so Elex would have had quite a bit of time to spread around.

And don't forget that also the animals started to mutate because of the elex, so you might be right, elex could spread after the impact like some sort of toxic dust all over Magalan.

The Ore Baron
10.10.2015, 13:38
Haven't visited WoE for over a month. Found two new posts in the English section upon returning. I sure hope the German section is livelier than this wasteland, but since Morgannin hasn't uploaded a new video in a while, I'm pretty sure the things aren't any better on the other side of the language border.

So how come literally nobody gives a damn about Elex? Any ideas? Have people simply given up the hope of PB improving their game design? So far it seems to me they're not changing anything but the setting, in hopes that what didn't work in Risen 2 and 3 will somehow magically work in a sci-fi setting. Something tells me it won't.

Hell, even the World of PB profile on Facebook posts more updates on that Exoplanet game (that actually looks pretty damn good so far) and... advertises obscure movie reviewers?.. I don't even. Talk about not having much to work with.

Get your shit together, PB. This is absolutely not cute anymore.

Ravenhearth
12.10.2015, 16:24
Huh? There simply wasn't anything new to discuss for two months now. What do you expect?

Morgannin09
13.10.2015, 02:22
Believe me, I'm checking about six times a day to look for new info. The Q&A thread on the official forums have pretty much been people asking (and Jenny answering) the same questions that we've already asked a dozen times. Quite frankly, I think they announced this game waaaaaay too early. They should have waited until they had something presentable, and it certainly should have been ready by Gamescom, but it just didn't happen that way. I'm ready to jump on the next pile of screens or, hell, even the next magazine preview with any kind of hard facts to bring to the table, and I'll sit down and make a video for it without even blinking.

They could afford to tease us with a few new landscape shots, at the very least. Maybe one new monster design or unique weapon.

rotator
13.10.2015, 14:34
I don't think they announced the game too early. Finally we have a name and a setting. We know they are working on something fresh and not Risen 4.
I don't really need more information until the game is like 90% complete and most things are finalized. Then they can build a campaign and maybe even hype.
Not that I don't miss Ralf's playful chitchat during the development of Risen 1 and the generally positive attitude despite the failure of G3.

A month ago I have completed Dragon Age: Inquisition (160+ hours) and now I'm playing with The Witcher 3. I'm over 40 hours and it seems like I did not do shit, still on the second map and not even half of it is completed, journal is full of future quests I'm too weak for. I can safely say that I don't need these epic maps. Both games suffer from the same symptoms: either I do the open-world part with neverending, repeating side quests or jump into the main quest with lots of cutscenes and story. Somehow these two components don't blend well. A game with this kind of staggering proportion holds no replay value for me, no way I would ever touch DA:I and start the Hinterlands again from zero. I hope PB is targeting for a more "compact" experience with lot of replay value, just like in the past. It looks like I enjoy 4x 40 hours more than 1x 160 hours.

The Ore Baron
13.10.2015, 16:55
Huh? There simply wasn't anything new to discuss for two months now. What do you expect?
I expected something new to discuss :D I guess we continue on with the waiting game, then... :o

Quite frankly, I think they announced this game waaaaaay too early. They should have waited until they had something presentable, and it certainly should have been ready by Gamescom, but it just didn't happen that way.
My thoughts exactly. Rotator's argument makes sense, but I believe PB already started the hype by announcing the game, and now they're doing very little to maintain it. I'd prefer them only acouncing the game when they already have most of the stuff figured out and can provide some more coherent answers, and not just empty-sounding promises of things to come. This sort of... uh... frustration, I suppose, is causing some uneasiness among the members of our community. This often leads to angry outbursts, mean comments, and in the worst case - complete abandonment of any interest in the project. Now that's not only not nice, it's also detrimental to PB themselves. Every developer should care for the fanbase, and I think many of us are feeling like we don't get enough of it, as needy as it may sound.

Believe me, I'm checking about six times a day to look for new info. I'm ready to jump on the next pile of screens or, hell, even the next magazine preview with any kind of hard facts to bring to the table, and I'll sit down and make a video for it without even blinking.
And we're all eagerly waiting for it :) Willingly or not, you've became the unofficial voice of our little community. I check your YT profile regularly, as I'm sure most of us do.

It's nice to hear from you, guys. Let's hope we'll have some food for talk some time soon.

Morgannin09
14.10.2015, 04:17
And we're all eagerly waiting for it :) Willingly or not, you've became the unofficial voice of our little community. I check your YT profile regularly, as I'm sure most of us do.
I can't help but always feel surprised at that. I never thought I'd find a group of English speaking Gothic fans as strong as this, even if it's not quite what it used to be... I actually recall biting the bullet and posting on World of Gothic literally days before they announced it was closing... Ah, but this isn't the painful memories thread :p

And if you check my channel regularly, I'm sure you've noticed it's been dead for a couple months now... hoping to shake things up again soon, I just need to sort out some important matters at home, sooner rather than later.

The Ore Baron
24.03.2016, 15:01
As far as your comment on Risen 3... well, technically the same can be said for the Gothic series, and I don't think we'll see a sequel any time soon :p
No, not quite. Gothic 3 may not have been a good game, but it did provide a satisfying conclusion to the series and even allowed the player to chose the ending he wanted. Forsaken Gods, as unpopular as it may be within the community, built very nicely on top of that, resolved the fates of various characters in a more in-depth manner and consolidated the power of both Myrtana and her new king, the Nameless Hero. By that point, you could really say "And they lived happily ever after" and leave the Gothic series with a smile on your face. And as if this conclusion was not enough, Gothic 4, as technically mediocre as it was, allowed for a nice glimpse of what happened after that.
So yeah, the way I see it, the Gothic series has concluded in a satisfying manner. Further sequels are possible, but they would have to be completely new adventures, since the plotline that began with the original Gothic has been tied up nicely, even if you dismiss the non-PB games.
The same cannot be said about Risen, however. The Titans have risen in the first game, and a full-on war between them and their lords is raging over the land. The fate of humanity, the other races and the world itself is still unclear, an thus, the story is still not complete. Unlike Gothic, Risen's sequel is necessary for a satisfying conclusion, since Risen 3 was more of a spin-off, or a side story, rather than an actual sequel to Risen 2.
:gratz

glumetzul
26.06.2017, 12:08
All in all, I'm still relatively excited, although still a little mad Risen 3 was in no way a conclusion to the Risen series. PB may run and hide from this fact, but they will have to produce at least one more Risen game in the future, else the series remains unfinished.

This is the first time I post here in a number of years and it's just to fully support this.

The ending to G3 was a crappy, no doubt about it, but it could still be considered some sort of ending to the adventures of the hero and to the war of the gods theme. With Risen, we got three games that in no way provide an adequate ending to the two heroes involved or to the battle against titans theme.

In the end, it all comes down to PB having a choice between two universes that they themselves created (or a mixture between them considering all the hints that Risen 1 was in fact following G3 story wise in a different part of the world) and deciding to fuck all that and try something new.

It does seem a bit like they felt like they fucked up too bad both series and they wanted to attempt one more fresh start.

Which reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DWLyrljLDk

The Ore Baron
26.06.2017, 15:13
Whoa, talk about a blast from the past :D

Morgannin09
27.06.2017, 15:26
I've always voiced my belief that Risen was never meant to be a franchise, and that the groundwork of Risen 2 was probably made under the expectation of being a new IP until Deep Silver decided not to file a new trademark, thinking Risen sold well enough to have potential. So Risen ended up being three standalone stories with tenuous ties in the story. I could always be wrong, because this isn't something that PB will probably ever admit.

Meanwhile Gothic 3 just blew it and what came after just buried it.

glumetzul
27.06.2017, 16:33
I've always voiced my belief that Risen was never meant to be a franchise, and that the groundwork of Risen 2 was probably made under the expectation of being a new IP until Deep Silver decided not to file a new trademark, thinking Risen sold well enough to have potential. So Risen ended up being three standalone stories with tenuous ties in the story. I could always be wrong, because this isn't something that PB will probably ever admit.

Not that it would make it any better. It would actually make it worse as it would confirm PBs tendency to start things and leave them unfinished. It makes it unlikely for me to invest my time into yet a new franchise that might get once more dumped because they'll want to focus on a new game about something entirely different.

I know that the different publishers they worked with over the years share part of the blame. But for me, as a consumer, it's the end result that matters.

Morgannin09
28.06.2017, 12:42
Not that it would make it any better. It would actually make it worse as it would confirm PBs tendency to start things and leave them unfinished. It makes it unlikely for me to invest my time into yet a new franchise that might get once more dumped because they'll want to focus on a new game about something entirely different.

I know that the different publishers they worked with over the years share part of the blame. But for me, as a consumer, it's the end result that matters.

The difference, as far as I'm concerned, is that Risen was just them trying to get back to basics after Gothic 3 flopped. Elex is clearly something they have bigger intentions for, and they've stated that it's something that they've been planning for a long time now.
And when I say Risen wasn't planned as a series, what I really mean is that I don't think Risen 2 went into production as the sequel. They obviously left it open to the possibility of a sequel but I think Risen 2 was gonna be it's own thing.

Jolly Jumper
31.08.2017, 09:26
As Jenny said yesterday in the german Nordic forum, all text inserts can be switched off in the game settings. But she does not recommend it as you may lose too much.

The Ore Baron
01.09.2017, 14:40
What do you mean by text inserts?

Ravenhearth
01.09.2017, 19:10
He means stuff like "XYZ will remember that".

Zuy9o
16.12.2017, 15:33
Prompt and there is a normal version of the game, Do not steam! ???