Home Gothic Gothic II Gothic 3 Gothic 4 Downloads Forums

Seite 1 von 2 12 Letzte »
Ergebnis 1 bis 20 von 24
  1. Beiträge anzeigen #1
    Fighter Avatar von Saberstorm

Saberstorm ist offline

Curses on the head of mywebsearch.com

My computer just crashed. When it restarted, all of my data was erased except maybe ten or so files. I think it crashed because "mywebsearch" - a service I did not ask for, was trying to install a toolbar on my internet explorer 8, while not telling me. I was playing a video game at that time, and the thing froze. I rebooted, and then everything was erased, and all of a sudden, I have "mywebsearch" on my toolbar...

curse them!

Is there anyway I can recover my data?

It is really weird, because, everything is gone except for Gothic 1. All my word document files, phone photos, even MS word is gone. All my other games are gone too. Some how, I bet these files are still on the hard drive, I mean if Gothic 1 survived. The question is how do I get to them?

Edit: You have just witnessed my mind in action. Just like a comic hero narrating his thoughts as he disarms a bomb. I have found everything. It was all moved into a file called Administrators Documents and Files. WEIRED. I am going to buy several big flash drives tomorrow and back everything up. Curse mywebsearch. Can they be stopped?
    "Don't throw stones at every dog that barks at you" George Silver
    Geändert von Saberstorm (07.07.2010 um 10:36 Uhr)

2. Beiträge anzeigen #2
    Knight

Alwin ist offline
    Using My Computer helps.

Seriously, there is just nothing that would wipe out everything but leave Gothic 1. Unless the virus was designed for random carnage, but viruses are usually designed for planned carnage or data theft. Any more details on this electronical armageddon?

3. Beiträge anzeigen #3

Saberstorm ist offline
    Check out my edit. Man this is weird. It took everything and put in a file called "adminstrators documents and files." Previously it was called my documents...

All of my desktop was "redone" with a few files left on the desktop but the bulk of them were put in a folder called Adminstrators Desktop.

I was playing Fallout3 at the time of the crash. It is still there. However, it will not launch when I hit the icon. I bet it is corrupted.

4. Beiträge anzeigen #4
    Knight

Alwin ist offline
    I don't know this Fallout but if you were playing it online it is possible that someone might have used it to hack into your computer. No idea why one would, though.

Reminds me of an interesting story though... once I remember that my folder structure rearranged itself in a very weird way. It created lots of loops and infinite folders. I didn't know what the reason was, and I never found out really, but I do remember that when I deleted a folder (with all of its contents - they seemed pretty irrelevant at the time) the whole thing restored itself. Thing is, it was on a DOS system, back when the only Windows on it was version 3.1. Sometimes you just can't find a reason.

5. Beiträge anzeigen #5
    Apprentice Avatar von FlyingInABlueDream

FlyingInABlueDream ist offline

As far as I know, mywebsearch.com is a regular spyware and it can easily be removed with tools such as Spybot: Search & Destroy. I successfully found it and deleted it at least 3-4 times on my computer, just like other spyware crap found all around the web.
    As for your problem of deleted/moved files, I got no idea what it is about.

6. Beiträge anzeigen #6

Saberstorm ist offline
    This is what I am thinking I will do. I am undecided right now, I have two options.

Normally, one would kill the spyware to get back to normal. However, my documents are missing. I really do want them back, as I have some creative work on them, which is both unique and important to me. I do not know if killing the spyware will give me my documents back.

Thus, option one is kill the spyware, then see if my documents return.

Option two is to do a "recovery" reinstallation of Windows to see if my documents are there. Then back them up on a flash drive.Then kill the spyware. Then check my documents for spyware.

Perhaps a third option is to kill the spyware. Look for my documents. If they are not there, do a recovery reinstallation, back them up on a flash drive, then rest easy.

Which one? Any thoughts before I try one?

7. Beiträge anzeigen #7

Saberstorm ist offline
    Oops, I forgot to mention it crashed again, rebooted with a new desktop background. Everything but gothic 1 is missing. This time, I cannot find any files called "adminstrator" that have my documents in them.

Each time it reboots it puts a new desktop image on there. I wonder if this is a new varation of the "mywebsearch.com" virus.

the first desktop was the basic Windows XP desktop. the second desktop was one i had in "my pictures..."

This computer has gone nuts.

8. Beiträge anzeigen #8

Saberstorm ist offline
    I notice this add here on WOG - I guess that WOG adjusts the ads to match the content of the posts. The add is for deleted files recovery. I wonder if they are the same people as mywebsearch.com trying to make money from their virus!

here is the ad. www.Active-Undelete.com

does anybody know about it?

9. Beiträge anzeigen #9
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq

Maladiq ist offline
    Have you tried searching the whole C: partition for the title of one of your documents?
    For the most recent Elex news, the new Piranha Bytes RPG, visit us at World of Elex!!!

10. Beiträge anzeigen #10

Saberstorm ist offline
    How do I search the C: partition?

I went to the help section of my MS Windows, and did a system restore to last Sunday. It restored all my folders, but all of my folders are empty. They have no word documents, nor do they have any graphic files. Just empty folders.

I want my data back! Before you answer, I will be playing around to find my C: Partition. Thanks guys for your help so far.

11. Beiträge anzeigen #11
    Veteran Avatar von ZombieNL

ZombieNL ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Saberstorm Beitrag anzeigen
    C: is the the partition where windows is installed by default.
    to search your C: partition, just open windows explorer, and click on the
    C: drive. than just click on each map and look inside it.

I went to the help section of my MS Windows, and did a system restore to last Sunday. It restored all my folders, but all of my folders are empty. They have no word documents, nor do they have any graphic files. Just empty folders.

I want my data back! Before you answer, I will be playing around to find my C: Partition. Thanks guys for your help so far.
    You should not have done that!!
    When you are missing important files and want them back, you should not do anything with your computer that writes data to the c:.
    There is a big risk of overwriting your data this way.

I suggest you download Restoration and don't put on c:, but on another partition. you don't need to install it. Just make sure you have enough space on another partition to back up the data.
    It is a mall program, but it already helped me a few times.

I never store anything on the C: but always on another partition.
    this way i can never loose data when there are problems on c:
    What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger!

12. Beiträge anzeigen #12

Saberstorm ist offline
    Okay, how do I make a new partition?

13. Beiträge anzeigen #13

Saberstorm ist offline
    I looked it up. It is not possible, unless I download a partition making program. (I made my first partition too big...)

14. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #14
    Chosen One Avatar von rekinu

rekinu ist offline
    If you only have 1 partition, making another one at this time is not an option.
    As far as I know, it will require you to format both.

Try to recover the files using a recovery software. Even if you store them on C:.
    Another option would be if you insert another hard disk. Or a memory stick big enough for your desired data.
    That way you can save it directly on the new devices.

15. Beiträge anzeigen #15
    Knight Avatar von Th13f

Th13f ist offline
    Your problem is a thingy called automatic updates. Having them enabled can cause issues as severe as hardware damage, a bugged update installed on top of Windows can cause severe malfunction. Setting automatic updates to off is a must do. As for your files, well, back everything up, reformat the hard drive and then make sure automatic updates are turned off.

16. Beiträge anzeigen #16
    Skinhead  Avatar von Hellbilly

Hellbilly ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Th13f Beitrag anzeigen
    Setting automatic updates to off is a must do.
    Bad advice. Many of the updates are very important. Better to set them to notify of new updates instead of automatically installing them.

17. Beiträge anzeigen #17
    Knight Avatar von Th13f

Th13f ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Hellbilly Beitrag anzeigen
    Bad advice. Many of the updates are very important. Better to set them to notify of new updates instead of automatically installing them.
    I had several bad experiences with automatic updates in the past. Like "buy-new-hardware" bad. Fried CPU, fried RAM, crashed HDD... Point is, I have automatic updates turned off and my WinXP SP3 works perfectly fine without the need for those updates. If I really need something, I can download it manually from Microsoft.com, but I really didn't need any of those updates in over a year since I last reformatted my PC. And I haven't had a single OS or hardware issue ever since.

18. Beiträge anzeigen #18
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq

Maladiq ist offline

Right click on the partition, search. Or start-> search.
    Zitat Zitat von Hellbilly Beitrag anzeigen
    It is a myth that the updates recognize pirate versions of windows and act as really bad malware. And that this sometimes happens to genuine copies too.
    For the most recent Elex news, the new Piranha Bytes RPG, visit us at World of Elex!!!

19. Beiträge anzeigen #19
    Veteran Avatar von ZombieNL

ZombieNL ist offline
    Making a second partition if windows is installed already is possible,
    but not an option for you right now.
    the program Partition Magic is capable of making new partitions, whitout formatting them, but it requires a lot of data-moving before it's complete. and then you can be sure you never find your lost data again.

So use Restoration and store the found data on a second harddisk, or usb-drive, and when all your data is save, you do a format C: and install
    windows again. Just make sure you make at least 2 partitions: 1 for windows and programs and the other one for your data.
    What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger!

20. Beiträge anzeigen #20
    Skinhead  Avatar von Hellbilly

Hellbilly ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Maladiq Beitrag anzeigen
    It is a myth that the updates recognize pirate versions of windows and act as really bad malware. And that this sometimes happens to genuine copies too.
    Yup. AFAIK it only stops Windows updates. Also, I regularly run updates to 400+ computers and have never had a hardware failure caused or suspected to have been caused by a Windows Update. We have had some software problems related to Windows Update, but even there it is not solely Windows' fault; the conflicting apps are usually more or less built from the arse. In my experience (which, of course, is purely subjective), when Windows Update causes problems, there is always some flaw to be found between the keyboard and the back of the chair.

Seite 1 von 2 12 Letzte »